Author Topic: [IC] SA Outlander (Deskmats Update!)  (Read 30525 times)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
[IC] SA Outlander (Deskmats Update!)
« on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 10:55:46 »
Howdy

If there is one thing I enjoy about TV and movies, it’s the notion that for an hour or more I can live in a different time and place. And my favorite shows have characters I can relate to because they remind me of myself: charismatic, witty, audacious, often brush up against the law, know how to sweet-talk their way out of a conflict, and they are usually too arrogant for their own good. Alright, perhaps I only represent 31 of those qualities. Anyway…this set is inspired by those heroes who in particular lead a team that is fighting for their survival. But even though their life is full of risk, they often have a good time anyway. After all, it’s hard to take things too seriously when the leader’s ego is as large as a freighter. Good thing the crew knows how to keep him from ending up alone in the desert by himself and naked, well…except for that one time but they don’t talk about that since the smuggling mission was largely successful.

After almost a year to this day, I launched GMK Voyage, now I'm proud to announce my next keyset, SA Outlander. The plan is for this set to be manufactured by Signature Plastics in SA profile. It will be using 3 stock SP colors:

IC Form
IC Form - Filling this out helps me find a vendor as well as provides necessary feedback

Kits
Press 'More' to Expand
More
Reg. Alphas

Cangjie Alphas

Note: If Cangie alphas hit MOQ, I have no problem with other SP SA sets using the molds

TKL Mods

Numpad

Ortho Mods

Extension (40's and Split Bars)

ISO

Novelties

Brutal by Upas

More

Evolv by NathanAlphaMan

More

Austin by DriftingBunnies

Tmo50 by Funderburker

More

UD40 by Goldworms

More

Note about Renders: Renders shown are an approximation and are not meant to represent a 100% accurate depiction of the final product. Colors and legends will slightly vary. That being said, we will strive to make sure they are as accurate as possible.

Also, please note that SP's stock colors vary slightly batch to batch. For example, SP TBN (mod and alpha legend color) is the same stock color used in SA Chocolatier; however, due to SP variance in stock colors between batches, SA Outlander's TBN color may not match perfectly up SA Chocolatier's TBN color. The same can be said for SP TM color, which is used in SA Jukebox alpha base color.

Color Comparison

Acknowledgements

Abec - render advice and help with kitting
Fredington - for letting me ask lots of questions about SA keysets
OneCreativeMind - novelties, deskmats, and so much more! Thanks for all the advice; you did so much more than just the art!
And to everyone that has either sent me a copy of a 3D model or has sent feedback about the set itself.

Show your support by adding this banner to your GH profile

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105573.0][img width=582 height=90]http://i.imgur.com/3ZY0LXP.png[/img][/url]

Thanks for looking! Please fill out this IC form as it will help me send this to GB quickly.

Interest Form

大象爆炸式的拉肚子
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 17:03:30 by nasp »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: SA Outlander (Please fill out the form)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 10:56:28 »
Deskmats

Heist

Warp

To Do:

• Remove 'c' notations from some kits
  • Put up deskmats
  • Add 2u alpha colored bar to ortho kit?
  • Modify Novelty Kit - Will probably change 'Pardon' to 'Shiny'
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2020, 18:23:22 by nasp »

Offline Evilocity

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 11:07:15 »
Is it me or do the fonts look bigger than normal on the renders?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 11:14:53 »
Is it me or do the fonts look bigger than normal on the renders?

They're a little larger which is why I put in the note below the renders about accuracy.

Offline bliss

Re: [IC] SA Outlander (Please fill out the form)
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 15:01:33 »
Outlandish! Instant luv!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 16:38:52 »
would be nice to have alphas colored spacebar in ortho kit

Offline vosechu

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 20:39:41 »
What’s the moq on the alphas? At $50/key for custom molds it seems like the moq is going to be super high, right?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 23:09:02 »
Firefly inspiration?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 00:08:15 »
Firefly inspiration?

The answer to that question depends on if you are a lawyer  ;)

I know it can go either way - alpha colored or mod colored spacebar - but I think I can make that happen. As an ortho user myself, either way is fine really. I'll need to look at other SA sets and see what they do.

What’s the moq on the alphas? At $50/key for custom molds it seems like the moq is going to be super high, right?

I added the Cangjie alt. alpha kit after looking at SA Sail. Not only are it's alphas - pretty much all of them - new molds, but there are even modifiers that require new molds. MOQ shouldn't be more than 100. If you look at SA Sail, it was able to keep prices reasonable and MOQs at a normal level.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 03:20:13 »

I know it can go either way - alpha colored or mod colored spacebar - but I think I can make that happen. As an ortho user myself, either way is fine really. I'll need to look at other SA sets and see what they do.

It varies. For ortho 1u or 2u it's usually alpha, the 1.5 is normally accent or mod color. For 1.5u I rather have mod or accent color. For the other I have no opinion.

I love the theme. I'm very interested in Cangjie and Ortho kits.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 03:23:05 by harlekein »

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 09:18:32 »
Is there such a thing as a cangjie number row?

Offline jauny

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 09:33:17 »
Oh i want to see where this goes!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 14:02:31 »
Is there such a thing as a cangjie number row?

I don't believe so as Cangjie is an input method and not an alphabetic system like almost all of the other alt. alpha kits in the mech hobby. If you search 'Cangjie Input Method' on Google you won't see any different characters on the number row. But I am no means an expert so someone please say otherwise if I'm wrong.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:33:58 »
Does Signature Plastics now have convex SA tooling for all the split spacebar sizes in the Extension kit?

Offline bliss

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:47:01 »
Sculpt will be 1-1-2-3-4-3 ?

Offline Francisco

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 05:40:22 »
Love it! - But somebody needs to do this for Hangul 
Large, full size Korean alphabet keys will sell like hotcakes! 
Please! Do it!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 12:08:21 »
Does Signature Plastics now have convex SA tooling for all the split spacebar sizes in the Extension kit?

They don't. I'll admit I'm a bit new to SA. Found out I liked it after I bought SA Fluffy Clouds (unform r3) from a BF sale from Novel Keys. Since then I've been buying SA sets and selling some of my GMK ones.

I'll make a note to change the kit images. Thanks for catching that.

That's correct.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 12:09:55 »
Love it! - But somebody needs to do this for Hangul 
Large, full size Korean alphabet keys will sell like hotcakes! 
Please! Do it!

Won't be doing that because Hangul doesn't fit with the theme. What about Cangjie? It fits the theme. I don't want to get into detail for fear of an IP claim though.

Offline eas

Re: [IC] SA Outlander (Deskmats Update!)
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 23:32:08 »
Thank you for not combining Ortho and 40s. Totally in.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 04:47:58 »
Firefly inspiration?

The answer to that question depends on if you are a lawyer  ;)

Take my love, take my land <3

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 18:26:33 »
Thank you for not combining Ortho and 40s. Totally in.

Just trying to do what's most viable. After seeing SA Sunday Morning not come to close to hitting MOQ with the combined 40's/ortho kit, I think the SA Sail approach is best. All kits on that did hit MOQ, and of course it also helps that Novel Keys ran it.

In other news, I will probably replace 'Pardon' novelty with a new novelty 'Shiny' using the same font, row profile and key size. If anyone objects, please let me know now.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 19:30:56 »
Love this set! The theme, colors, well everything about this set is awesome to me! I like the fact that you have combine tsangan, HHKB layout, 660 layout & 65%/75% compatibility keys to the modifier kit also. Not many SA sets do it that way & usually have at least one or two extension kits they get put in. I'm sure this approach will make the modifier kit more expensive, but even with that I still think this approach makes more sense than a straight up TKL mod kit & one or two extension kits. Since just about everyone who orders this set will need at least one of those extra keys & would have to buy a whole extra for it otherwise.

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 April 2020, 19:33:06 by Rob27shred »

Offline konfusd

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 00:56:02 »

In other news, I will probably replace 'Pardon' novelty with a new novelty 'Shiny' using the same font, row profile and key size. If anyone objects, please let me know now.

I agree, the set needs more shiny

Offline bliss

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 11:17:10 »

That's correct.

Okay good! This whole thing + Cangjie + Warp deskmat is a surreal combination, exactly what I find so attractive about it!

I hope you will bring all that to the EU, too.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 11:24:06 »
Have you tried to contact Nathan? He seems to be a nice guy very devoted to fans about the whole FF thing, so maybe he could at least assist you in a copyright thing.
I'm asking cause I'd get it in a heartbeat was it about firefly, but now it's just too far from the original theme IMO: novelties are off, deskmat art is as well.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:24:55 »
Have you tried to contact Nathan? He seems to be a nice guy very devoted to fans about the whole FF thing, so maybe he could at least assist you in a copyright thing.
I'm asking cause I'd get it in a heartbeat was it about firefly, but now it's just too far from the original theme IMO: novelties are off, deskmat art is as well.

I need to clarify that although Firefly is the inspiration for this set, I draw more inspiration from the main character Malcolm Reynolds, and also other characters like him in other shows. Just as the intro says, it's the character that is cocky, witty, charming, lives on the edge, and often skirts the line between hero and villain. Another character that I think fits that description is Han Solo, especially in the original trilogy, which a lot more people have seen then Firefly. So well I do think the novelties could use a bit more of a "Firefly" theme, I'd also not to like to alienate the folks that haven't seen the show or the movie. I'm afraid if I delve to far into Firefly, the set will only apply to a very few specific people, esp. because it is already in SA profile.

And that's another reason why I don't think a licensed set is the way to go. SP SA is already expensive enough. If we add on a license deal it will mostly likely be out of the budget of the majority in the community AND it still has to appeal to enough people with hefty wallet's to make MOQ. There can be a licensed set for Star Wars because the fan base is exponentially larger. Now, maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, I hope folks will show up here in overwhelming numbers and tell me so. For now, I'll likely change 'Pardon' to 'Shiny' to appeal to those who would like a bit more Firefly vibe, but please remember two things:

1. The set is mainly inspired by Malcolm Reynolds and characters like him.

2. We still need to make MOQ, and I don't know if we can do that by homing in exclusively on Firefly so that the set is off-putting to those who haven't seen the show (This is also why I had the Warp deskmat made).

I do appreciate all of the feedback. Please fill out the form if you haven't already. I read every comment, but besides that, it'll help me find a vendor more quickly.

PS: To those who would like a bit more Firefly, I hope you've also looked at the kits. The TKL and ortho kits contain some extra text novelties that are not in the novelty kit, that help to enhance the Malcolm Reynold's (Firefly) theme - specifically there's a text mod that specifically says "Mal".

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 22:35:16 »
I love the design but it's hard to justify buying any more SP kits when KAT feels similar to SA and the prices and turnaround times for KAT sets have been so much better and the feel and durability of PBT vs ABS is no contest.

Offline bliss

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 08:08:06 »
I love the design but it's hard to justify buying any more SP kits when KAT feels similar to SA and the prices and turnaround times for KAT sets have been so much better and the feel and durability of PBT vs ABS is no contest.

lol

Offline eas

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:07:15 »

Fluffy Clouds was quick.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:13:16 »

The problem with KAT is that other than Alpha, they haven't delivered a complete set yet (especially a reverse dye sub set). Remember, these are the same people that did Starry Night lol. As far as I'm concerned, KAT is still an unknown.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 06:35:15 »
Hey everyone, I appreciate the support of the set. As of now, I'm going to stick with SA. I enjoy the profile, like that it is made in the US, and a lot of the 'novelty' text mods exist thanks to previous sets-Laser and Oblivion just to name a couple (and yes I have permission from Mito and Oblotzky to use those molds).

But if I can't find a reputable vendor that wants to run it in SA profile, then I'll likely move to another, but I don't think it will be KAT unless at that point they have proven that their quality and turn-around time is on par with other keyset manufacturers.

PS - Please don't forget to fill out the IC Form. It really does help me secure a vendor for this set much more quickly.

Offline Klackygears

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 13:20:26 »
This is amazing! I love it!

Offline WingsofSarrow

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 18:47:43 »
I love this!=)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 06:01:02 »

The problem with KAT is that other than Alpha, they haven't delivered a complete set yet (especially a reverse dye sub set). Remember, these are the same people that did Starry Night lol. As far as I'm concerned, KAT is still an unknown.

This, albeit Starry Night turned out great in the end. Milkshake is shipping soon, though, and they've agreed to fix the issues that some customers have been having free of charge.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 07:58:26 »
Hey folks, this isn't dead. Had some life stuff come up recently and now I'm working on other projects. As soon as I have the time, I plan to do a small update and hopefully have a vendor secured.

Peace

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 04:48:01 »
Good to hear, still very interested and thankful for your UK ISO kit.  I am in once this runs.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 15:47:40 »
Glad to hear there is interest. Gonna be working on this again once I finish some other projects. Most of them involve PCB GBs. I have a 60% ortho PCB similar to the XD75, but with a more usable bottom row. It also will fit in tray cases. The other involves the Planck and Preonic.

Stay tuned  :thumb:

Offline parablol

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 01:34:55 »
Glad to hear there is interest. Gonna be working on this again once I finish some other projects. Most of them involve PCB GBs. I have a 60% ortho PCB similar to the XD75, but with a more usable bottom row. It also will fit in tray cases. The other involves the Planck and Preonic.

Stay tuned  :thumb:
Hey this PCB sounds interesting. One thing I wish the XD75 had was some spots on the bottom row for 2u spacebars. Kind of like the Planck rev6, but seperated for the middle numpad area, I guess.

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 10:59:42 »
I'm excited to hear that there may be a "Shiny" novelty added! Immediately thought of Mal, but also got Han from it as well. The cowboy novelty also gives a nod to Billy The Kid and westerns, too. Personally I would go full on Firefly with it, but totally understand why you don't want to limit to that small niche. It's a cool set anyway!

Offline arydi

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 20:54:03 »
Did someone say, "Firefly"? 

I'll be in my bunk.

Offline monkeywright

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 18:33:43 »
As an alumni from the University of Wyoming, I also love that this set matches their colors AND has a western feel.