Author Topic: Worklog: Making myself a wooden wrist rest  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Harbec

Worklog: Making myself a wooden wrist rest
« on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:18:56 »
So after seeing some of the wrist rests done by The_Beast and the new Filco ones, I decided that I wanted one. I really don't want to pay the 40 dollars + shipping for one so I will be building my own. My house was remodeled right before I moved in and they used something called Tiger bamboo for the floor. I thought I would take one of the left over panels and use that since I like the pattern it has.

I bought some small planks of wood from Lowe's and I think I'm just going to end up wood gluing the three pieces together and sanding everything until it's even.
Today I just removed the actual bamboo from the backing and plywood it was attached to and then sawed everything down to size. Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the end product will look like

http://imgur.com/a/VmYbg

This is my first attempt at this so please be kind lol  :D

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Worklog: Making myself a wooden wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 05:22:55 »
Good idea.  One nice thing about using modern pre-finished flooring is the finish often has aluminum oxide or even diamond dust in it for durability. This produces a hardness difficult to replicate on the consumer level. Be careful working with bamboo. Some of my most memorable splinter experiences came from sanding it. Best wishes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 05:25:07 by kurplop »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Re: Worklog: Making myself a wooden wrist rest
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:32:19 »
Great idea and good luck :).