Author Topic: Are comedy movies dead?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Are comedy movies dead?
« on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 23:27:10 »
When was the last time in recent years you saw a legitimately funny comedy movie? I don't even remember many comedy movies coming out over the past few years. If anything, most are other genres with a little comedy mixed in. I can't remember a current movie that was a pure comedy and not just an action movie with a comedian in it.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Are comedy movies dead?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 23:32:48 »
They probably made the same amount, the films just don't get to the top of the charts like they used to.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 01:07:47 »
The last movie that got a chuckle out of me was "A Million Ways to Die in the West" - for some reason.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 01:25:55 »

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 04:59:41 »
Clarkson's Farm.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:25:48 »
Not necessarily, but I think that they have gone into a self-imposed exile.

Perhaps many people are afraid that it is not "cool" to laugh out loud any more. Can you imagine something like "The 3 Stooges" being made in the 21st century?

People need to laugh, now more than ever, but the art and craft of "good clean fun" has gone far out of favor. Mostly today we see the attempt at "sophistication" in dark, snide, sarcastic humor.

To be honest, I wonder whether movie makers have the courage any more to make simple "fun" movies that audiences can enjoy and feel good about.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:32:20 »
Not necessarily, but I think that they have gone into a self-imposed exile.

Perhaps many people are afraid that it is not "cool" to laugh out loud any more. Can you imagine something like "The 3 Stooges" being made in the 21st century?

People need to laugh, now more than ever, but the art and craft of "good clean fun" has gone far out of favor. Mostly today we see the attempt at "sophistication" in dark, snide, sarcastic humor.

To be honest, I wonder whether movie makers have the courage any more to make simple "fun" movies that audiences can enjoy and feel good about.
Due to political correctness and cancel culture,  it's no longer acceptable to make fun of anyone.

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 13:03:21 »
When was the last time in recent years you saw a legitimately funny comedy movie?
I saw Paddington 2 recently and it made me smile. It's probably not too funny, but lovely and enjoyable.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 13:08:14 »
I've seen a handful of comedies in the past year that were pretty good.  But for the most part, I laugh my ass off watching TikTok every night before bed.  It's a good stress reliever.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 13:34:38 »
The last movie that got a chuckle out of me was "A Million Ways to Die in the West" - for some reason.

This my favorite scene. 

271764-0
271766-1

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 23:44:57 »
Clarkson's Farm.
This was so much better than I would have ever expected.

Unlike The great Escapists.

Due to political correctness and cancel culture,  it's no longer acceptable to make fun of anyone.
This is B.S. and has been going on ever since comedy has existed.

Art has a shelf life, the more sign of the times you are the shorter the life it will have.
Every time a comedian (or musician) says this it's someone who's past their prime and upset because they can't make it work anymore, either the act was dated or they got lazy and thought they could make anything sound funny and flopped.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 01:35:04 »
it kinda start to age but when i want a good laugh i usually rewatch Kung Fury (free on youtube and steam) or The Mask (this one is old but still i dunno if you could do better today), i do not know if you count it but to me Deadpool should count as comedy with action sprinkled in.
and i do think studios are somewhat scared of the cancel culture too so less funding to risky films
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 01:40:39 »
I'd just figured that I lost my sense of humour with age.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 14:04:47 »
I mean, everything mentioned itt is from 5+ years ago. The last legitimately funny 'recent' movie I've seen was probably Game Night, that's the only one I remember laughing with and that's still over 4 years old.
TV has gotten funnier. Especially in the recent 4-5 years since budgets have grown, but I do feel as if the stand alone comedy movie is becoming a thing of the past.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 19:28:58 »
Now that I've given it some more thought, Happy Death Day 2, Love and Monsters, The Mitchels vs the Macines and Freaky are comedies that I saw recently and enjoyed. 

Offline Kavik

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:06:01 »
I'm struggling to remember any movie I've ever found legitimately funny. I remember laughing a lot during Super Bad, but I'm not sure I would still find it as funny since that was 13 years ago. I think TV shows generally lend themselves to comedy better. Something about the 1.5-2 hour narrative structure isn't very conducive to comedy IMO, maybe because it require too much sustained sense-making for the story to be coherent. My memory could also just be shot, and I'm unable to think of anything else. Regardless, definitely nothing in the last 5 years stands out.

As far as recent TV series go, The Righteous Gemstones was really funny, but that's because I grew up in the Bible Belt, so I can see how spot on the parody is.

Maybe I'm just like Stan in South Park and hate everything.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 10:14:28 »
Mid budget comedies and dramas have gotten pretty thin on the ground in cinemas. Everything is either a 200 million dollar movie or a 5 million dollar movie.

I'm terrible at remembering what movies I've seen but comedies (or movies that were funny in part) I've seen recently would be Another Round, The Kid Detective, Shiva Baby, The King of Staten Island, Minari, The 40-Year-Old Version, The Art of Self Defence, I Care A Lot, Death to 2020, Promising Young Woman, Brittany Runs A Marathon.

Been watching a lot of Mike Leighs older comedy movies lately. Secrets & Lies is fiyah.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 July 2021, 10:18:24 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 10:42:49 »
If I want to watch some good comedy, I play one of old movies with Chevy Chase.
That was funny.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2021, 09:26:11 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 07:15:53 »
If I want to watch some good comedy, I play one of old movies with Chavy Chase.
That was funny.
Caddy Shack, Blazing Saddles and SpaceBalls are my go to if I need a good laugh - current "Comedies" are meh but most of it has been swarmed by TV since it works better as a small sampling vs a 2hr forced chucklefest.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 13:26:04 »
If I want to watch some good comedy, I play one of old movies with Chavy Chase.
That was funny.
Caddy Shack, Blazing Saddles and SpaceBalls are my go to if I need a good laugh - current "Comedies" are meh but most of it has been swarmed by TV since it works better as a small sampling vs a 2hr forced chucklefest.

I love The Man Who Knew Too Little

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 15:54:55 »
..and I love Fletch
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::