Author Topic: Ergodox keymap survey for keyset GBs (1st Draft Posted!)  (Read 18141 times)

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
Ergodox keymap survey for keyset GBs (1st Draft Posted!)
« on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:36:21 »

We need your help. Please take a moment to fill out this survey on Ergodox keymap and keyset preferences.

Survey link <<< http://goo.gl/forms/GMqOeE2bwk >>>

What is the purpose of this survey?

I'm trying to make a "standard" Ergodox kit for Group Buys. Or, perhaps, to solidify that blank child kits are the best option for an Ergodox kit. There will be a few different options explored. For example: Do respondents prefer buying a TKL base set and then an additional Ergodox set for flexibility? Or do they prefer all-in-one sets like seen with Nantucket Selectric or 1976? Would we be interested in modifiers with ambiguous legends like triangles and stars?

Ultimately, the goal is some data on Ergodox user preferences available to group buy organizers so that they can best accommodate users.

Why should GB organizers go through the extra effort to include Ergodox compatible keys?

While not every GB supports ISO layouts, a lot do. It makes sense. There's a large population of people that use the ISO layout. See where this is going?

Sampling the sale numbers from recent SA keyset sales1, Ergodox kits outsold ISO kits at a rough 3:2 ratio. That's a very loose stat, but the trend is definitely there. Even if that trend levels out over time, it's entirely possible that Ergodox users could be valuable in helping keysets reach MOQ.

Further, Massdrop will be shipping over +1,000 more Infinity Ergodoxes (Ergodoxen?) from their warehouse this month. It's reasonable to expect a spike in demand.

There just needs to be the right balance of cost and options. An prime example of how this would be executed is with the Granite Ergodoxian kit. I decided not to factor the Granite sales in the ratio above because it was the only DSA profile and because it's an extreme outlier.2

1 GBs sampled: Carbon, Danger Zone, Nantucket Selectric, PuLSE R2, Troubled Minds, 1976.
2 There were 452 Ergodoxian sets sold compared to 135 ISO enter kits.

Surely this information is already out there?

There have been efforts similar to this in the past. However, the efforts stopped short of producing any results. See ddot's links a few replies down. Those efforts, while a good crack at the problem, seem not to influence current set designers.

I am still quite unhappy that there is like no default layout for ergodox. I wish there would exist one. Planck is far easier to make because there are atleast some obvious keys available and they share also the same size. I think community need to define ergodox standard. For example based on ansi layout.

I will make the results available publicly, specifically for those planning GBs. In the end, it may be best if we stick with blanks. But, we should at least agree that it the best option instead of merely the easiest option.

Survey Progress/Changes:
4/7 - n = 20 (finally)
4/5 - Emerging Trends section added
3/31 - Likert scale question adjusted so that respondents have to select on a scale of 1 to 4 instead of 1 to 5
(Note: This eliminates the "middle of the road" option. The answers that had been reported as 3's will also be counted as 2's)
3/30 - Survey drop downs / multiple choice replaced with fill-in-the-blank
3/29 - New fields added
3/29 - Survey launch
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:37:14 by yinzer »

Offline yinzer

Re: Ergodox keymap survey for keyset GBs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:36:40 »
Keymap Progress (Updated 4/19/16)

4/19/16 -First Draft ... yikes! Tear it to shreds!

So, here's what's going on with this.

Over 50% of respondents (n>25) said they preferred the All-in-One Ergodox sets. This type of set has been seen with 1976 and Nantucket Selectric. That, in itself, is a pretty significant trend from this survey. If that trend holds, and the pursuit of a set with legends fails, we may have to shift our discussion to whether or not that model, with blank modifiers, is something we'd like to see adopted by most GBs.

I decided on a 100-key kit by accident. Some of the keys were too varied for me to comfortably place a legend on them.  This was more of an aesthetic choice than anything else. A lot of the keys that have legends are majority placements. A few are plurality (more than other options, but less than 50% of responses) placements. As this process carries on, I'd imagine a lot of these will change. With the exception of a Windows and arrow keys, the responses were all over the place. Also, I did consciously choose to leave Left hand,R1 1.5u blank despite almost all responses mapping it to Escape.

4/17/16 -Hey all, here's a mock-up of the keys that we seem to have most people agree on!

This is a joke ... sort of.

I had been really hesitant to take a stab at a keyset proposal without a large sample size, but it seems like interest in this project really died off after a solid first two weeks. I figure that if I start posting some results, that we might be able to generate a little bit of discussion, even if people only come here to tell me how far off I am and that I should stop.

That said, this "keymap" isn't just a joke. There is something else here. One of the more surprising early trends from the survey is that respondents tend to favor the All-in-One option for Ergodox keysets. This goes against my personal preference, but since this is a community effort, I wanted to start things off for what a potential All-in-One keyset could look like. This is a 100-key All-in-One Ergodox keymap. My current plan is to take the most popular options, add the legends, but, offer enough blanks to cover the modifiers. There will be a few exceptions to this.. but sit tight. I'm going to put up something for you to tear apart in the next couple of days!  ;D

Emerging Trends

Please note that sample size is still quite small at this point (n<20), so these trends may subside or even reverse.

There is not a single key that has we have unanimously placed in the same position. The goal for the standard kit is not to leave anyone behind. If your keyset goes against the trend, please don't think that you won't be accommodated.

April 5 Early findings.

Please note that this is not a presentation of actual findings. It would irresponsible to move towards making a kit with so little data. It's just too early. Hence, I'll be withholding actual numbers for the time being. That said, In PM's and publicly, respondents have expressed an interest in 'seeing the numbers.' So, here is an attempt to accommodate that and perhaps spur interest in participation.

1) Possibly the most significant, and least surprising, trend is that Ergodox users tend to leave keys roughly where they would exist on a normal keyboard.

These are the early majority placements:

LH, R1, 1.5u is often mapped to Escape
LH, R2, 1.5u is often mapped to Tab
LH, R4, 1.5u is often mapped to Shift

Especially considering that Tab and Pipe-Slash are already accommodated in Base Kits, this might be an area where we might be able to satisfy almost all users by providing a single blank key in that row and size.

2) The thumb keys, a majority of the time, seem to be mapped to cursor manipulation.

Space, Enter, and Backspace were the most common responses for the the thumb keys. There is a significant possibility that we will be able to arrive at a reasonable consensus for thumb keys with legends.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:32:21 by yinzer »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:51:38 »
Half the drop down lists don't have the key and don't let you put in an entry :(

Offline yinzer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:54:15 »
Half the drop down lists don't have the key and don't let you put in an entry :(

Modded response:

I added a field to the end of each page allowing you to write in any keys that were not listed or not able to be selected. I enabled editing responses, so if you if you have the time to fill out those fields, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for bringing that problem to my attention.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:00:21 by yinzer »

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 10:59:48 »
A couple other threads that I recall on roughly the same topic.  You may be able to get some ideas from them too.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55712.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79196.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71247.0

Offline yinzer

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:03:40 »
A couple other threads that I recall on roughly the same topic.  You may be able to get some ideas from them too.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55712.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79196.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71247.0

Those are great resources.

As I said, I'm sure that this isn't the first effort of this type. However, with another round of 1,000 Infinity Ergodoxes shipping in a few weeks, I thought it might be an opportune time to raise it again.

Offline b0f0

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:43:28 »
just finnished your survey. May I just add something that presented a problem for me in your survey. I have an 80 key ergodox not the infinity ergodox not the ergodox ez, but the ergodox made from parts bought from Falbatech. Anyway its 80keys not standard 76. Means that the 2u key on thumb cluster is actualy two 1u keys. so I have 4 keys more. Means the keycap sets that have 2u keys for the thumb cluster can not be used in my case. Just saying...
Thank you for making this survey I actually liked it.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 11:53:13 »
I really liked jolly_gnu's idea of a supplementary pack to PMK's standard dye sub PBT set, but I think he was trying to do too much and in too obscure of a way.  Pare down his proposal into just the Ergodox keys,  get PMK to combine it with their standard run (and fairly reasonably priced) dye sub PBT set to create a super flexible Ergodox set and then get MD to make it an addon to their next Ergodox run.  I think you'd have a winner.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:00:45 »
just finnished your survey. May I just add something that presented a problem for me in your survey. I have an 80 key ergodox not the infinity ergodox not the ergodox ez, but the ergodox made from parts bought from Falbatech. Anyway its 80keys not standard 76. Means that the 2u key on thumb cluster is actualy two 1u keys. so I have 4 keys more. Means the keycap sets that have 2u keys for the thumb cluster can not be used in my case. Just saying...
Thank you for making this survey I actually liked it.

Thanks for your response. I'll take this layout into account.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:14:13 »
I really liked jolly_gnu's idea of a supplementary pack to PMK's standard dye sub PBT set, but I think he was trying to do too much and in too obscure of a way.  Pare down his proposal into just the Ergodox keys,  get PMK to combine it with their standard run (and fairly reasonably priced) dye sub PBT set to create a super flexible Ergodox set and then get MD to make it an addon to their next Ergodox run.  I think you'd have a winner.

There was a lot of work done on that. It's definitely not a bad idea, but you're right, it's just too much. I think the goal needs to be as few keys as possible that work for as many people as possible.

Ideally, I'd like to have something solid before Massdrop drops the Infinity R3 and hopefully before we see another surge in cap orders like we have had in the past few months.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:20:22 »
Survey is open again.

This was actually an accidental post. I stupidly made edits to the OP in a quoted comment instead of editing the OP ... (I promise I'm not trying to spam this survey)
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 10:22:55 by yinzer »

Offline Data

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 23:48:15 »
Responded.  Hope this gives some solid results.  If nothing else it will be nice to see the distribution of what people are using.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 08:02:23 »
Responded.  Hope this gives some solid results.  If nothing else it will be nice to see the distribution of what people are using.

Thanks for your response.

Sample size is still much too small (n<20) for me to report on anything just yet to want to release any sort of definitive data, however, I decided to release some early trend observation in the OP. I may have to start actively asking people to participate to get the numbers needed to start working on a kit. If we could just get that "standard" kit, we have the numbers to make it viable. I know that this isn't a perfect way to measure, but on recent GBs that have both Ergodox and ISO kits, Ergodox outsells the ISO kit almost every time, and sometimes by quite a lot.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2016, 08:48:23 by yinzer »

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 10:15:35 »
Submitted. I said it in the survey but it is worth repeating: Colemak! I don't use qwerty anymore.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 17:26:50 »
Submitted. I said it in the survey but it is worth repeating: Colemak! I don't use qwerty anymore.
Amusing, as I filled out the survey before reading all of this thread, and said 'dvorak -- but that's a separate problem)'

I suspect there won't be too much agreement with the 'extra' 1u keys, because they're so unwieldy they all get assigned as 'dump' keys -- although I'm trying to teach myself to use a flat arrow layout instead of the "traditional" inverted T.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline yinzer

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 18:19:22 »
I suspect there won't be too much agreement with the 'extra' 1u keys, because they're so unwieldy they all get assigned as 'dump' keys -- although I'm trying to teach myself to use a flat arrow layout instead of the "traditional" inverted T.

Most likely not. But, depending on how it would shake up pricing wise, it might be possible to get a nice kit together. Chances are we'll be able to hit 'most' layouts if we have the most common ones and then a few blanks. It does seem to be fairly common to just map these to random keys. To be honest, I have a few of mine mapped to media keys that I still haven't bothered to program properly.

As far as the arrow keys .. I actually made room for the inverted T on my board. I have my period and comma mapped so that I can hit them with my thumbs. It's a layout that I borrowed from when I used an Atomic OLKB as my daily driver.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 00:12:31 »
It is going to be impossible to agree upon Ergodox layouts..

I still make a change every once in a while..

It has to be blanks.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 08:46:38 »
It is going to be impossible to agree upon Ergodox layouts..

I still make a change every once in a while..

It has to be blanks.

I just changed my layout last month. I'll probably change it again in a few weeks when I get an Infinity Ergodox from Massdrop. I have the kind of weird keymap that makes this process more difficult. So, I had an idea of the challenge.

Coming up with a kit doesn't mean we all have to have the same layout. Nor do I think it's realistic that we're going to get a 100% legend coverage for a sculpted set.

Some of the most valuable feedback I'm getting isn't necessarily from the keymaps, but the entry part of the survey about buying habits. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around and hopefully, as more data comes in, we can figure out if they would actually work.

Offline Data

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 19:41:49 »
I know that this isn't a perfect way to measure, but on recent GBs that have both Ergodox and ISO kits, Ergodox outsells the ISO kit almost every time, and sometimes by quite a lot.

I noticed this too.  I think the biggest hurdle is that ISO keyboards tend to be region and language-specific, so a UK ISO kit (whatever the standard ~8 keys look like) only solves the "ISO Problem" for a handful of users, so they don't sell.  Europe needs to figure out a unified ISO key set similar to what you're doing here, or just say "**** it" and switch to ANSI 125.  :D

Offline Phenix

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 05:08:52 »
my ergodox/clears arrived yesterday.
Only problem I have: It did not have stabilizers installed in the 2u positions.

I have only PCB-mount - I assume the do not find.
If I buy plate mount stabs: Is it just plugging them into the holes or do I really need to desolder the whole boards? :eek:
Winter is coming.

Offline BigDov

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:45:06 »
Filled out and submitted, cool stuff
ergodox w/ MX Blues & Granite R4 + grifiti wrist rests || CM Storm QFR w/ Reds & black PBT laser-etched caps

Offline UTEster750

Re: Ergodox keymap survey for keyset GBs (1st Draft Incoming)
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:48:38 »
Want to fill this out, but I don't have my 'dox functioning yet and I haven't experimented too much with layouts to make my survey entry worth the data inputted. :(

Offline yinzer

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 09:05:26 »
Want to fill this out, but I don't have my 'dox functioning yet and I haven't experimented too much with layouts to make my survey entry worth the data inputted. :(

Don't worry about the survey, but, stick around this thread!  :D

Your input is valuable as someone working on a keymap. It'll be interesting to hear your opinions about potentially buying a new keyset as someone who hasn't been committed to the ergodox layout for a long time. About half of the respondents have been using an Ergodox for less than 6 months. I'm hoping to push a "rough draft" of a keyset package in the next few days (possibly even today).

Offline yinzer

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:36:34 »
Interest in this effort has plateaued. I'm going to try and jump start it with a very, very, very early draft of what an Ergodox common kit might look like.

At this point n~25, so this is an incredibly premature effort to take this on. However, I figure if we can see some results, maybe there will be more interest.

Let's tear it to shreds!  ;D

So, here's what's going on with this.

Over 50% of respondents (n>25) said they preferred the All-in-One Ergodox sets. This type of set has been seen with 1976 and Nantucket Selectric. That, in itself, is a pretty significant trend from this survey. If that trend holds, and the pursuit of a set with legends fails, we may have to shift our discussion to whether or not that model, with blank modifiers, is something we'd like to see adopted by most GBs.

I decided on a 100-key kit by accident. Some of the keys were too varied for me to comfortably place a legend on them.  This was more of an aesthetic choice than anything else. A lot of the keys that have legends are majority placements. A few are plurality (more than other options, but less than 50% of responses) placements. As this process carries on, I'd imagine a lot of these will change. With the exception of a Windows and arrow keys, the responses were all over the place. Also, I did consciously choose to leave Left hand,R1 1.5u blank despite almost all responses mapping it to Escape.

Offline Data

Re: Ergodox keymap survey for keyset GBs (1st Draft Posted!)
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:16:25 »
So you're saying we should just use blanks and deal with it.  :p

Offline yinzer

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:23:45 »

Oh jeeze. How far off is that from your keymap? I didn't get to the point where I combed over individual responses and just took the majority of responses per location.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:00:01 »

Oh jeeze. How far off is that from your keymap? I didn't get to the point where I combed over individual responses and just took the majority of responses per location.

Compared to my current layout (Programmer Dvorak with a bit of adjustments), the "A" key is in the correct place. Some others are close-ish, but not quite: one of the labels is ok, but the other isn't. (I prefer to have blank modifiers anyway)

Not sure about Data's layout, but mine's at the other end of the planet :)

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:36:48 »
Finally got around to actually answering the survey.  A few thoughts on my own personal experience:

• I got my Ergodox in the spring of 2014 and I've been using it off and on since then.  My layout has been a work in progress to say the least.  Before it arrived, I dreamt of a variety of possible layouts.  That changed a couple times after I got it.  Then I realized that blank keycaps didn't cut it for me, so I picked up some Granite keys and adjusted my layout to fit within its limitations.  Then on a lark I bought a Poker and used it for a while.  That taught me how layers were supposed to work (I hadn't really got them before that) and that influenced another round of changes.  Then I adopted SpaceFN and that lead to more tweaks.  Even now I'm still working on a few tweaks.  The moral of that story is custom layouts can be a long winding adventure that may never achieve an endgame.
  • To me the biggest problem with figuring out a layout was how to deal with the top right hand corner.  On a normal ANSI keyboard you have 9 keys to the right of the 0P:? column, while there's only 4 keys on the Ergodox.  If you try and throw a set of arrow keys onto the right hand side, things become a little tougher yet.
  • After experimenting with some radical layouts, I ended up with something pretty close to a standard ANSI.  Unfortunately my Ergodox isn't the only keyboard I use and switching back and forth from a high customized layout to a standard one was too hard on my brain.
  • I've also discovered that 4 separate functions on the 2u thumb clusters was also too hard on my brain.  I've now settled on 2 spaces and 2 shifts in a symmetrical layout.  The primary function layer is taken care of by SpaceFN.  Enter and backspace are elsewhere (see below).
  • I've currently got 2 enters in the slots where traditionally shift has been.  A row lower on the right hand side, but still more or less in the normal spot.  The one on the left is just a bonus.  I have found the left one useful on occasion when I need to hit enter and my right hand is tied up on the mouse.
  • I've been trying backspace (also serves as delete when used with SpaceFN) in a couple spots.  I've got it in the caps lock spot on the left, similar to how a colemak user would have it.  I've also got another backspace above the enter on the right, similar to how a HHKB layout would have it.  I've also been trying it on both the bottom 1u on both thumb clusters.  All have their advantages, but I think I'm leaning more towards the thumb clusters, despite it deviating more from a traditional layout.
  • I basically find the top 3 keys on the thumb clusters useless except for very obscure keys that you essentially chicken peck.
  • On my massdrop assembled Ergodox, the left 3 keys on the right half have LEDs underneath.  To me this leads to the obvious choice of caps lock and a couple function keys.  Granite got it right with the 2x 1.5u vertical function keys.  I don't think I've ever seen a 1u caps lock key (I use a clear polycarbonate key there and yes I'm one of those rare people who actually use caps lock fairly regularly as I do some drafting).

I'd also like to applaud yinzer for trying to come up with a viable answer on this.  As I linked to earlier, others have tried and failed.  I've also come to the conclusion that blank caps aren't for me, so legends are a must and finding them for th Ergodox has been a challenge.  Having said that though, I think trying to find a combination of sculpted modifiers that satisfies everyone and keeps prices reasonable is a monumental task.  DSA might be doable as it allows for a lot more flexibility with the rows.  You could do pretty well with Granite and it had a dedicated Ergodox pack, but if you wanted a more obscure layout, the keys were often available, but only in some of the other child packs and that could get expensive for just an odd key here and there.  In the end, I think jolly_gnu's approach might be the most reasonable.  Try and create a comprehensive DSA modifier pack to complement one of PMK’s stock dye sub PBT sets and give all Ergodox users the opportunity for a fully legend layout with reasonable flexibility.  Might not be sculpted and it might not be in all the crazy colour schemes everyone else gets, but it may be the sacrifice you need to make for full legends on an obscure keyboard.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 10:04:32 »
@algernon
@ddot

Could you please send me your layouts? Im new to the dox, and still trying to figure out a nice layout (I thought about AdNW), but I am unsure about modifiers....

Thanks for
Winter is coming.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 11:33:06 »
The Infinity ErgoDox is back up on Massdrop.  You can add on a blank set of DSA for $39 or blank DCS for $50.

Based the the key count in the picture yinzer posted above, the pricing for a 60% base set of Signature Plastic's stock DSA Sublimated Keycap Sets and some rough estimates of what it would cost to produce the remaining keys (based on some of the child packages in some other DSA drops), I'd like to think yinzer's layout could be sold for $100ish.  Looking back, if I'd had the choice of a blank keycap addon with my drop for $39 or legend caps for $100, I'd have splurged for the legend caps.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to think I'm not alone in that.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 13:04:35 »
can please someone help me with QMK?
Heres my code
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81572.0
Winter is coming.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:52:33 »
Heres my code

@algernon
@ddot

Could you please send me your layouts? Im new to the dox, and still trying to figure out a nice layout (I thought about AdNW), but I am unsure about modifiers....

Thanks for

I don't think people will mind helping you with your Ergodox, but this is not the thread for it. Consider finding a thread related to your questions or making your own.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 18:57:41 »
The Infinity ErgoDox is back up on Massdrop.  You can add on a blank set of DSA for $39 or blank DCS for $50.

Based the the key count in the picture yinzer posted above, the pricing for a 60% base set of Signature Plastic's stock DSA Sublimated Keycap Sets and some rough estimates of what it would cost to produce the remaining keys (based on some of the child packages in some other DSA drops), I'd like to think yinzer's layout could be sold for $100ish.  Looking back, if I'd had the choice of a blank keycap addon with my drop for $39 or legend caps for $100, I'd have splurged for the legend caps.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to think I'm not alone in that.

I have seen a lot of posts since the Infinity Ergodox drop opened the other day echoing this sentiment. There seems to be a lot of want for a keyset with legends. Granted, I don't think they understand what huge pain the ass this is .. but, the demand makes me feel like that, if we can come up with a layout, there will be enough of a market for it.

From the survey, it seems like most people would pay $50-$75 for a modifier set, so I'm thinking that somewhere around $100 makes sense for an All-in-One kit .. maybe more if it's an established set, something like a Carbon or a Hyperfuse (though, I don't think this is being made again).

I haven't gotten a chance to read your other feedback above yet. I did scan and there are a few things that I want to tackle.  :thumb:

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:02:37 »
Heres my code

@algernon
@ddot

Thanks for

I don't think people will mind helping you with your Ergodox, but this is not the thread for it. Consider finding a thread related to your questions or making your own.

Not to further thread crap, but I did send Phenix a couple PMs and gave him a few pointers, so I didn't totally ignore him, but I was trying to keep the off topic stuff in this thread to a minimum.  If Phenix or anyone else has any other questions regarding something similar, feel free to just send me a PM and we can try and keep yinzer's thread on topic.

Offline Data

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:39:02 »

Well you nailed the alphas.  :D

My comment was more to the fact that you still have a lot of blanks in your example.  I thought the whole point of this was to find some middle ground for legends.  Are Tab, Shift, and \| the only keys we mostly agree on?  If so, that's hilarious.

For reference, this is pretty close to my layout (very minor changes since this was made):

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 01:45:18 »

Compared to my current layout (Programmer Dvorak with a bit of adjustments), the "A" key is in the correct place. Some others are close-ish, but not quite: one of the labels is ok, but the other isn't. (I prefer to have blank modifiers anyway)

My layout at the moment is something like this.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 10:22:39 »

Not to further thread crap, but I did send Phenix a couple PMs and gave him a few pointers, so I didn't totally ignore him, but I was trying to keep the off topic stuff in this thread to a minimum.  If Phenix or anyone else has any other questions regarding something similar, feel free to just send me a PM and we can try and keep yinzer's thread on topic.

Yea, and thanks for that. Do understand your point
Winter is coming.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:38:18 »

Well you nailed the alphas. :D

My comment was more to the fact that you still have a lot of blanks in your example.  I thought the whole point of this was to find some middle ground for legends.  Are Tab, Shift, and \| the only keys we mostly agree on?  If so, that's hilarious.

For reference, this is pretty close to my layout (very minor changes since this was made):
Show Image

We're a creative and diverse bunch.  ;D

I was also very stingy with my language. Unless it was an overwhelming trend, I didn't wouldn't say that we near agreement. There were plenty of keys that appeal to a plurality and sometimes a slight majority of a relatively small group of respondents.. but, the same can be said of Donald Trump. (plz don't hate me for this joke)

I was hesitant to start adding columns and columns of additional legended modifiers at first. I think it would have been a little depressing to have a 140 keyset that only appealed to half of the respondents.  That said, I think I may have been to conservative with the kit. I've had a very busy week, but I should have some time this weekend to put out another revision.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:49:50 by yinzer »

Offline Data

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 19:07:36 »
Well it's a noble cause and you have my support. Having designed and sold a key set that included Ergodox support, I can confidently say that this is something the community would benefit from.  My kit was 35 keys and only included 4 blanks.  Additional blanks were available separately and I think that option contributed significantly to the overall success of the set and to the Ergodox kit in particular. If we could assemble a kit of maybe 25 legends and a specific minimum number of blanks (modifiers only; let's assume alphas are covered elsewhere) AND achieve coverage for at least 2/3s of Dox users, I think you'll have done something awesome for the keycap community.

Offline yinzer

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 08:53:21 »
Sorry for the radio silence, I've been away in the lab (mainly not working on an Ergodox keymap ... mainly because I'm moving apartments and also because of the Overwatch Beta).

That said, something exciting did happen on this front.

LSB added a legended Ergodox keyset to Jukebox, which started its second round today. It's more or less the default layout that can be found on GitHub. However, as this layout doesn't ship on anything .. some of the things on his map go against our findings, but I still think it's a pretty good stab at the problem.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jukebox-sa-keyset?mode=guest_open

What do you all think? How close is this to "just right?"
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:35:34 by yinzer »

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 13:41:15 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jukebox-sa-keyset?mode=guest_open

Show Image

What do you all think? How close is this to "just right?"

I think mine's a bit far. I could use the arrows, and some of the thumb keys. But I came to the conclusion - after looking through a lot of ErgoDox EZ layouts - that my layout is very unconventional :(