Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 161434 times)

Offline under.pk

Re: [Packing] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 21:38:49 »
Hi for GMK keycap it only have a problem with R3 row right? 

Anyone here from Asia want to sell the extras pls reply me, thank you.

For the original alps housings, GMK R3 is the only issue as far as full travel(still have to file to fit).

Question:

Would anyone be interested in buying any of the purple sample housings I have? They are the same as the final production version, just in purple(the same purple as the sliders). Only 16 exist and cost would be $1 and would be put in with your order before it ships out(still waiting for all packing material).

If anyone is interested PM me(must have been in the GB), I may do it raffle style or FCFS not sure yet...depends on if anyone actually wants them. I am doing this because otherwise they would sit in a box or be thrown away because they honestly have no use for me...

Oh Thank you! The only reason I didnt join at first is because I thought I have to buy housing for every switch. I just read the first post again this morning :(

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 17:52:13 »
Update:

Got all of the packing materials in today, and started packing some orders(only 15 so far) Have to fold every single box, and count every slider/housing/stab by hand so this is going to take a while...I won't be shipping any of them out until all are packed as I don't want to have to do multiple trips to the post office to send these out.

Goal is to have them shipped out either before thanksgiving or the following week, depends on how fast I can actually sort and pack these.

Edit: Forgot to add, the purple housings are gone.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #552 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 11:49:54 »
Update:

Got all of the packing materials in today, and started packing some orders(only 15 so far) Have to fold every single box, and count every slider/housing/stab by hand so this is going to take a while...I won't be shipping any of them out until all are packed as I don't want to have to do multiple trips to the post office to send these out.

Goal is to have them shipped out either before thanksgiving or the following week, depends on how fast I can actually sort and pack these.

Edit: Forgot to add, the purple housings are gone.

Take your time, no need to rush. I'm still trying to figure out any other method for you to count them... Maybe by volume? I would have bought a scale just to not count them by hand hahah

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #553 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 17:49:09 »
Take your time, no need to rush. I'm still trying to figure out any other method for you to count them... Maybe by volume? I would have bought a scale just to not count them by hand hahah

So far I have packed about 20% of orders, and it isn't terrible, I am running at a set pace per day so I don't burn out or mess up. I have a fairly good system going at the moment but the larger orders are the worst to count out, while the small ones I can count out in maybe 30 seconds without issue.

I am packing by invoice number and so far invoices up to #50 have been packed.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:11:16 »
This is just an idea but... what do you think about making POM bottom housing too for R2?

I mean, you already have POM slider, POM upper housing, and now all that's left for a buttery smooth all-POM switch is this...

It probably wouldn't sell all that well though. But I'd buy it.  ;D

Offline garbo

« Reply #555 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:20:40 »
This is just an idea but... what do you think about making POM bottom housing too for R2?

I mean, you already have POM slider, POM upper housing, and now all that's left for a buttery smooth all-POM switch is this...

The stem doesn't make contact with the bottom housing, so it wouldn't really make a difference.

At that point you might as well be recreating the switches from scratch, though, which would actually be an interesting idea.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:22:20 by garbo »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #556 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:49:27 »
The stem doesn't make contact with the bottom housing, so it wouldn't really make a difference.

At that point you might as well be recreating the switches from scratch, though, which would actually be an interesting idea.

Yep, bottom housings would be pointless unless I remade alps switches in their entirety...which is something I have though about, but don't have the capital to invest for that yet. Maybe one day I will make full switches but it is something that me and TKC would have to go in on together because it would require a lot of work and money.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #557 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:57:40 »

Plus the leaf, and contact plate, and spring.

And like 5 iterations to get it good enough.

Offline Waven

« Reply #558 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 06:20:20 »
If someone wants to sell some extras feel free to send me a pm.
I bought 115 sliders and housings but decided now to go for 2 65% builds.
So I need about 30 sliders and housings.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 14:14:44 by Waven »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #559 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 15:32:23 »

Yep, bottom housings would be pointless unless I remade alps switches in their entirety...which is something I have though about, but don't have the capital to invest for that yet. Maybe one day I will make full switches but it is something that me and TKC would have to go in on together because it would require a lot of work and money.

I would love to see you guys recreating alps properly and with lots of user input, it would definitely drive alps prices low, increase the number of interesting switches to try and get more people to like alps as well, so more boards and more keysets, specially considering that with your sliders keysets would be compatible with MX as well.

One can dream... but seriously if you ever do it I'm in for the first rounds.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #560 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:02:40 »
I would love to see you guys recreating alps properly and with lots of user input, it would definitely drive alps prices low, increase the number of interesting switches to try and get more people to like alps as well, so more boards and more keysets, specially considering that with your sliders keysets would be compatible with MX as well.

Maybe one day, but no guarantees. I have thought about it and I am willing to put in the effort, just not sure if the market would accept it as well as we would need it to(look at the iRocks attempt that failed).

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #561 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 19:36:26 »
Further down the track it may be an idea to make alps mx compatible, pin wise. i think this guy tried to do it but didn't get very far: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90745.0
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Anakey

« Reply #562 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 02:44:43 »
many pcbs are alps/mx compatible so i think it is easier to make the pcbs fit the switches then change the switches to fit the pcb.

Offline xoxox1029

« Reply #563 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 05:04:15 »
very interesting...

Offline handmadespam

« Reply #564 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:03:13 »

The thing I don't understand here is why more people don't just make caps with an alps option. I get that there is less market than for mx, but if people like alps enough that recreating the entire switch is a viable option, it seems like offering keycaps in mx and alps would be more viable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline fireworm

« Reply #565 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:12:02 »

The thing I don't understand here is why more people don't just make caps with an alps option. I get that there is less market than for mx, but if people like alps enough that recreating the entire switch is a viable option, it seems like offering keycaps in mx and alps would be more viable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Because mx has more popularity, and many mx sets barely meet moq anyways. 

Alps sets are literally another entire production run, and entirely different tooling.

SPs Alps caps, for example, are a bit bigger sometimes and break off on the switches.  Gmk doesn't even have Alps tooling, no SA tooling exists either, etc etc.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #566 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 17:35:58 »
Update:

So far I have packed 50% of orders (Invoices up to 95). Nothing will ship until I have packed everything so expect after thanksgiving as I still have to print shipping labels and the current schedule shows that I will finish the day before with just packing.

Offline DocNoc

« Reply #567 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 08:43:09 »
After you get all the orders shipped I think it would be helpful if a list of some sort was made that listed the Keycaps / makers that work perfect without modification to the housings, and the sets that require modification of some sort to work correctly. Also if problems arise with certain types of alps switches and this round of the sliders and housings that info could be included as well.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 15:46:12 »
After you get all the orders shipped I think it would be helpful if a list of some sort was made that listed the Keycaps / makers that work perfect without modification to the housings, and the sets that require modification of some sort to work correctly. Also if problems arise with certain types of alps switches and this round of the sliders and housings that info could be included as well.
All of that information is in the IC and GB threads.
GMK R3 caps need to have the housings shaved (or use the Nexus top housings) or they interfere.
Sliders work with all complicated Alps switches, and should work with Matias.
Stems were modeled after Box switch stems, so will have some similar issues, mostly with GMK sets. the stems need to be shaved (there is a tool that is coming out that will help to make shaving easier and faster).

There's your list. It's really not complicated.

Offline DocNoc

« Reply #569 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 12:01:14 »
All of that information is in the IC and GB threads.
GMK R3 caps need to have the housings shaved (or use the Nexus top housings) or they interfere.
Sliders work with all complicated Alps switches, and should work with Matias.
Stems were modeled after Box switch stems, so will have some similar issues, mostly with GMK sets. the stems need to be shaved (there is a tool that is coming out that will help to make shaving easier and faster).

There's your list. It's really not complicated.

Its almost like new problems might arise that we aren't currently aware of once many many more people implement these first iteration sliders and housings into their builds...

Also I was aware of all these issues personally as I have been following the group buy. Having this information readily available in some way or another will help educate other people who learn about these sliders and housings in the future.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #570 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:57:11 »
Update:

All orders have been packed, which is earlier than expected thankfully  ;D.

So I will slowly begin the shipping label process(just buying/printing for now) and then once I have all of them ready I will ship out everything in one go so I don't have to do multiple trips to drop off so many packages.

The goal is to ship everything next week once I have everything setup, but not sure if anything will prevent that from happening.

Officially don't want to ever count anything by hand again...it was not fun having to count ~15k sliders , ~10k housings and ~170 stab kits.

Offline 82d28a

« Reply #571 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:05:13 »
Not sure if this was covered, do the stab inserts also need to corrected? Meaning are they modeled after box switches?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #572 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:41:39 »
Not sure if this was covered, do the stab inserts also need to corrected? Meaning are they modeled after box switches?

From my testing they never stretched caps, but I purposely made them smaller than the sliders because of the 3D printing tolerance be larger than injection molded tolerances. They are modeled after box switches, but without any of the issues from my testing.

Offline captaincalamari

« Reply #573 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 21:30:12 »

Maybe one day, but no guarantees. I have thought about it and I am willing to put in the effort, just not sure if the market would accept it as well as we would need it to(look at the iRocks attempt that failed).
This project as a whole is a great start already and from what I can see was very popular despite the niche. Maybe trying to make custom leafs would be a good next project? Could make some custom alps one piece at a time

Offline 19MODL

« Reply #574 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 13:34:15 »
Missed out on the GB since I wasn't interested in an alps build at the time. I'm looking for 50 alps sliders now; feel free to send a PM my way if any of you have extras!
iGK64 - Kailh Speed Bronze - GMK Laser
Pok3r - MX Red - GMK Red Samurai
NIU Mini - Tealio - DSA Drifter
Incoming: Mechmini 2 - SA Night King

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #575 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:00:27 »
Update:

So I will slowly begin the shipping label process(just buying/printing for now) and then once I have all of them ready I will ship out everything in one go so I don't have to do multiple trips to drop off so many packages.

The goal is to ship everything next week once I have everything setup, but not sure if anything will prevent that from happening.

Officially don't want to ever count anything by hand again...it was not fun having to count ~15k sliders , ~10k housings and ~170 stab kits.

I'm sure the counting & packing sucked, but your work is highly appreciated by all of us who joined the GB! can't wait to get mine as the sliders & stab kits are gonna gonna be a life saver for an upcoming ALPS build I have planned. Also I have to give you props for keeping with this project & pouring your own money into it to get it right! Not many people would've went to that length to make sure their project ended up 100% right. I thank you for all the hard work you've put into this & can't wait to see all the crazy ALPS builds this will allow for! :thumb: 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #576 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 21:57:20 »
Update:

Haven't done the shipping labels yet as I have been having issues getting it setup properly and I have been thinking of getting a label printer but one that prints 4"x6" labels is not cheap enough and printing it on a normal printer is not economical either and way more time/material consuming. Anyone have a suggestion on a good label printer that I can get quickly? It must print  4"x6" labels as international can't be printed on the 2.4"x7.5" labels. If there are no good suggestions I will have to find another way to do this because I really don't want to use a normal printer...that would be another couple days and a lot of wasted paper, tape and time.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #577 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 22:00:33 »
Update:

Haven't done the shipping labels yet as I have been having issues getting it setup properly and I have been thinking of getting a label printer but one that prints 4"x6" labels is not cheap enough and printing it on a normal printer is not economical either and way more time/material consuming. Anyone have a suggestion on a good label printer that I can get quickly? It must print  4"x6" labels as international can't be printed on the 2.4"x7.5" labels. If there are no good suggestions I will have to find another way to do this because I really don't want to use a normal printer...that would be another couple days and a lot of wasted paper, tape and time.
https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Shipping-Labels-Printers-BL-G8511-100/dp/B001PF1BSE/ref=asc_df_B001PF1BSE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198109750555&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11547050316016334664&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031149&hvtargid=pla-352125204398&psc=1

These half sheet, peel off labels are awesome. And fit int'l usps labels.

Only real cost is toner...

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #578 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 04:00:29 »
Update:

Sounds like a very good Christmas present!!

As others said, I'm so thankful for all the work you've put onto this project and I'm glad I could join the GB. I'm eagerly waiting those sliders, the build will be awesome!!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #579 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 20:00:57 »
Update:

If you have a UPS business account (free) then you can order free supplies. You can get a large stack of labels which can be used on your regular printer or you can get label pouches which you just slide the paper into and peel off the back. If you don't want to use the ink, then you can buy a label printer and then order a roll of labels from UPS. FedEx also has a lot of free supplies but they might call you and interrogate you on your motives (they did the same to me even though I was legitimately using their stuff).
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 21:46:07 »
Update:

Okay so labels will be paid for and printed tomorrow, then sent to me(had someone with a label printer help) all but 2 orders are going out once I get the labels in. The 2 not going out have been emailed already(at the paypal email address shown on the invoice) due to incomplete addresses and/or random issues within the address.

Sorry for the prolonged shipping period...

Also all international orders are shipping via USPS as DHL is no longer an option and all other couriers are way to expensive and would have required extra payment...

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #581 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 05:12:00 »
Update:

Okay so labels will be paid for and printed tomorrow, then sent to me(had someone with a label printer help) all but 2 orders are going out once I get the labels in. The 2 not going out have been emailed already(at the paypal email address shown on the invoice) due to incomplete addresses and/or random issues within the address.

Sorry for the prolonged shipping period...

Also all international orders are shipping via USPS as DHL is no longer an option and all other couriers are way to expensive and would have required extra payment...

Don't know for others, but for me in Spain is better to use USPS. Any private courier will always go through customs. USPS doesn't go always through customs.
Will you send us an email when orders are shipped?
Thanks!!

Offline MHayden

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 23:44:15 »
I *really* like this idea because getting keycaps for Alps/Matias switches is such a PITA. Unfortunately, I'm really lazy and very time constrained. If this was an easy drop in solution that let me use MX keycaps, or better yet if I could just by pre-modded Matias switches with all the changes done, I'd be all over that.

That's a ton of work for you, but Matias has shown a willingness in the past to make variations for community use. (Their linear keys were specifically made to cater to the open steno project.)

If this goes well, do you think you could persuade them to make this a standard option?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #583 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 20:27:39 »
Update:

I will be getting a stemshaver prototype soon for testing on the nexus sliders so I will be posting about that once I get data on how well it works. Hopefully it fixes the issue easily so that it is an easier way to make the stems fit as they should(without stretching).

Still waiting on the labels to arrive, so it may not be till the weekend that I ship them out.

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #584 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 16:07:40 »
Update:

I will be getting a stemshaver prototype soon for testing on the nexus sliders so I will be posting about that once I get data on how well it works. Hopefully it fixes the issue easily so that it is an easier way to make the stems fit as they should(without stretching).

Still waiting on the labels to arrive, so it may not be till the weekend that I ship them out.

theres also a stem shaving projecthat is gaining traction
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97974.msg2675391#msg2675391
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #585 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 16:10:12 »
Update:

That is the one I am getting actually, I should have mentioned it was from that IC but didn't...

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 07:58:06 »
Update:

That is the one I am getting actually, I should have mentioned it was from that IC but didn't...

ah I see, sorry for misunderstanding :P thought you were cooking up your own :P
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #587 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 17:49:49 »

:eek:
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #588 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:06:04 »
Update:

Still waiting on the shipping labels, the post office is running really slowly for some reason on some packages but others are delivering much faster. Not sure when they will arrive as they were supposed to be here already but are sitting at the post office along with some other switches of mine.

Sorry for the unexpected delay, hopefully it is resolved quickly.

LABELS ARE HERE!!!

I will ship out all packages and then add the tracking info to everyone invoices as it is faster to do them separately. So everyones(minus the one person who still hasn't replied to my email) package should be going out tomorrow, and I will update the tracking tomorrow and thursday if needed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2018, 17:38:19 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #589 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 05:04:44 »
Show Image

:eek:

Looking awesome in that colour!!

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #590 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 05:05:15 »
Update:

Still waiting on the shipping labels, the post office is running really slowly for some reason on some packages but others are delivering much faster. Not sure when they will arrive as they were supposed to be here already but are sitting at the post office along with some other switches of mine.

Sorry for the unexpected delay, hopefully it is resolved quickly.

LABELS ARE HERE!!!

I will ship out all packages and then add the tracking info to everyone invoices as it is faster to do them separately. So everyones(minus the one person who still hasn't replied to my email) package should be going out tomorrow, and I will update the tracking tomorrow and thursday if needed.

Very good news!! Eager to have them here :D

Offline M4dn3ss

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 05:39:16 »
(minus the one person who still hasn't replied to my email)
Would that happen to be me? Because I never received any email...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #592 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 13:02:30 »
Would that happen to be me? Because I never received any email...

Nope, only 2 people got emails because of address issues, 1 replied and the other hasn't even after multiple attempts.

Packages will be shipped in about an hour, yesterday they were closed because of President George H.W Bush's passing.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #593 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:47:48 »
Update:

All orders have been shipped, except for the previously mentioned one...If you invoice is number 0095 please check your email.

Thank you all for your patience, especially because this took many months longer than planned due to so many unexpected road blocks.

If you wish to get extras TheKey.Company will be selling them in the next couple weeks(follow him on instagram or via his newsletters for the announcement). The faster these sell out the faster a V2 can be made as we need to see a demand for that to happen.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #594 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:06:36 »
Update:

All orders have been shipped, except for the previously mentioned one...If you invoice is number 0095 please check your email.

Thank you all for your patience, especially because this took many months longer than planned due to so many unexpected road blocks.

If you wish to get extras TheKey.Company will be selling them in the next couple weeks(follow him on instagram or via his newsletters for the announcement). The faster these sell out the faster a V2 can be made as we need to see a demand for that to happen.

Thanks, BlindAssassin11 for your  hard work.

Do we have any updates regarding stem-shaving? I require this information for I only use Cherry profile at the moment.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #595 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:18:22 »

Do we have any updates regarding stem-shaving? I require this information for I only use Cherry profile at the moment.

No updates yet, still waiting for the stem shave prototype to arrive so I can test and make sure it works for us.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #596 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:21:10 »

No updates yet, still waiting for the stem shave prototype to arrive so I can test and make sure it works for us.

Look forward to hearing more on it. Thanks again.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #597 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 20:03:15 »
Hope it arrives before I leave for Christmas.

Thanks for sorting these out. I'm starting to have regrets only ordering 95 now.  ;D

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #598 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 01:47:56 »
Nice. Any thing that I need to take note of when using these? Haven't been around for some time.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #599 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:24:32 »
 Should we be expecting a shipping notification sometime today?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards