Author Topic: Very simple opensource 60% case model (SCAD+STEP)  (Read 1921 times)

Offline yui

Very simple opensource 60% case model (SCAD+STEP)
« on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 13:17:39 »
Hi, after not really finding what i wanted in term of keyboard case i decided that i wanted to make my own, and so i started this project. as i used resources from the forum as sources for my GH60 measurements i felt that i should share and so the OpenSCAD and STEP are attached.
Although so far this is only a 1st try (not even prototype yet) and i kind would love to have the opinion of others on some things:
 - My CNC has a maximum width of 300mm giving my a maximum wall width of 7.5mm but i am pretty sure that with the tool offset i am out of bounds, so with wood i do wonder what is the thinnest wall i could get away with, if anyone has an idea? (the CNC is a 3018 pro, and i was planing on trying with OSB, plywood and depending on the results, plain wood)
 - I am thinking that i may have made the keyboard too thick (25mm at the back, 14mm at the front of the wrist rest, 20mm deep cavity for the board), what do you think about it?
 - Any other feedback?

I will add newer versions as the project goes further, or maybe if there are many make a git repo for it.

also if peoples are interested i could make a post with my tribulations getting the CNC3018 to work with OpenSCAD, FreeCAD and UGS, it is still a work in progress though.

Thanks
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Kevin-3992

• kindlestar team
Re: Very simple opensource 60% case model (SCAD+STEP)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 05:34:36 »
I think it's good. This keyboard can be thinner.  The thickness is related to the material you use. If it's just a traymount structure and made of aluminum alloy, you can make the edge width 3mm

Offline yui

Re: Very simple opensource 60% case model (SCAD+STEP)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 08:33:46 »
it is just tray mount but i was planing on making it out of wood, and so far i am trying to get my gaming pc run FreeCAD properly so it takes less than an hour per operation to generate the gcode, only issue, it is running a too recent distro of linux and FreeCAD does not find its old libs, and for the life of me i can't compile OpenCAMLib to generate the code for the slope... and the precompiled version that comes with FreeCAD also expects older libs that i can't have, only works on my Debian 9 system...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)