Author Topic: [IC] Meddling Kids / DSA  (Read 7510 times)

Offline GarrettSucks

• All project timelines at at timelines.omnitype.com
    • Omnitype
[IC] Meddling Kids / DSA
« on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 16:04:11 »
2020 GarrettSucks, here. This set is trash and should never have existed but I will leave it up for historical context.

I have been hard at work on this set because I know it has huge potential and wanted to get it right. It is obviously based off of the Mystery Machine/Scooby Doo. I would like to do it with GMK because it will need custom colors to be right. No one offers the right shades. I really wanted to do it in DSA in order to be able to deliver more variety of kits for less, but it has to have the custom colors.
I am very excited to get this set out for everyone to see. I believe it could be a hit!

Anyways, I hope all you Scooby fans like my set! Let me know your opinions and ideas for novelties!

/u/GarrettSucks | dixiemech.com

6/12/2017
EDIT: I have spoken to Massdrop and they are very excited about this set. However, they want proof of interest, as you would expect. So go vote for the poll on Massdrop so we can get Meddling Kids in the lineup at Massdrop!

MASSDROP POLL https://www.massdrop.com/vote/DSA-Meddling-Kids

EDIT: As i expected, the mystery machine key will have to be heavily simplified to be able to work on a cap. ALSO, a reddit user had the idea for a "Ruh Roh" key for backspace. I will be adding that!

EDIT: So I have come into some knowledge that SP will indeed do custom colors! So DSA is back on!

EDIT:DSA Render with novelties!
170452-0

EDIT: Inverse Mod color option. Im actually starting to lean towards this because it tones down the set from being so blinding. Much more balanced.
170454-1

EDIT: I have made an updated image showing all of the updates and ideas so far.
170510-2
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 21:02:33 by GarrettSucks »

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
Re: [IC] Meddling Kids / Cherry GMK
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:37:33 »

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
Re: [IC] Meddling Kids / Cherry GMK
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 17:40:56 »
Is this related to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80083.0 ?

No it is not. I haven't seen that one before.

Offline bciamny

Re: [IC] Meddling Kids / Cherry DSA
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 19:57:42 »
this is probably the first "i gotta have it" keyset i've ever seen... please please let this come to fruition!

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 20:00:59 »
this is probably the first "i gotta have it" keyset i've ever seen... please please let this come to fruition!

I will do my very best! But its really up to the community to make it hit that MOQ!

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:05:24 »

I will do my very best! But its really up to the community to make it hit that MOQ!

Same! While I like carbon and yuri, this is hands down the one I need.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:45:41 »
Love it, I'm a Big Scooby Doo fan. Plus, this set is DSA! Hope to buy this set soon!

Offline jgodinez302

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:58:02 »
I was completely onboard with the initial IC for Mystery Machine by MkLovin, but it would be interesting to see this come to fruition in another profile. Credit where credit is due though ;)

Here's mine so far  :D

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 00:24:52 »
I think you'll need to modify your novelty designs. If your plan was to run this in pbt, you'll have the lighter on darker color no-go of dyesub.  But if you're doing ABS, I don't think SP is capable of triple-shotting and it'd be really expensive anyway.  Easiest thing is probably going ABS and removing the outlines, though I dunno how good things would look without those.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 June 2017, 20:07:49 by a_ak57 »

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 09:25:37 »
I was completely onboard with the initial IC for Mystery Machine by MkLovin, but it would be interesting to see this come to fruition in another profile. Credit where credit is due though ;)

That looks fantastic! Graet job! The SA looks really great! Someone posted your board on the reddit thread yesterday! The case is crazy!

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 19:34:43 »
I think you'll need to modify your novelty designs. If your plan was to run this in pbt, you'll have the lighter on dsrke colorr no-go of dyesub.  But if you're doing ABS, I don't think SP is capable of triple-shotting and it'd be really expensive anyway.  Easiest thing is probably going ABS and removing the outlines, though I dunno how good things would look without those.

I have been prepared for that from the beginning. I believe I can make them look great either way!

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 13:14:38 »
Love the colors.  Remember opposites on the color wheel next to each other create weird floating text for legends.

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 22:31:09 »
Love the colors.  Remember opposites on the color wheel next to each other create weird floating text for legends.

Yeah it is pretty bright, but its different when its actually plastic and not on a lit up display. :)

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 23:58:24 »
Love this colorway.  Cropped this out for a sig.. prob needs to be smaller though
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 June 2017, 00:00:00 by metalliccharles »

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 09:46:54 »
 ;) ;) ;)

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 23:14:03 »
Love this colorway.  Cropped this out for a sig.. prob needs to be smaller though
Show Image

Im glad you like it! Go vote for the Massdrop poll!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 01:10:54 »
I think you'll need to modify your novelty designs. If your plan was to run this in pbt, you'll have the lighter on darker color no-go of dyesub.  But if you're doing ABS, I don't think SP is capable of triple-shotting and it'd be really expensive anyway.  Easiest thing is probably going ABS and removing the outlines, though I dunno how good things would look without those.

Just use white caps and dyesub everything ;)

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 13:35:10 »

Just use white caps and dyesub everything ;)

I had that thought. I would just worry that the novelties wouldnt match the rest of the set perfectly.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 14:07:48 »
Well there's actually a method simpler than that, it's called reverse dyesub.  What you do is take the lighter color and make a cap that color, then dyesub almost all of it the darker color except for the space you want to be that lighter color.  I.E. for an orange "E" on black key, you'd take an orange key then dyesub everything except an E shape black.

Problem is that this process is not widespread and hasn't been perfected yet (SP for example can't do this yet).

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 00:41:15 »
The samples we've seen of dyesubbing have been out of China so I'm wondering if there's better potential for it in the future. 

In any case, we can always refer to G20 Semiotic for what SP can do with dyesub.  I would imagine handling those novelties wouldn't honestly be that huge a deal.

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 22:23:36 »
The samples we've seen of dyesubbing have been out of China so I'm wondering if there's better potential for it in the future. 

In any case, we can always refer to G20 Semiotic for what SP can do with dyesub.  I would imagine handling those novelties wouldn't honestly be that huge a deal.

This is good to hear. I would really love it if these novelties were able to be produced how I have them designed!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 00:14:06 »

This is good to hear. I would really love it if these novelties were able to be produced how I have them designed!

Granted, SP handling this is me hypothesizing a bit and basing it off the G20 Semiotic set.  You might honestly end up with white caps and a good portion of the top taken care of as I'm not sure they can dyesub the entire body of the cap.  That said, here's the set showing off what they can do.  http://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-semiotic-keycap-set/

Offline GarrettSucks

• Omnitype
Re: [IC] Meddling Kids / DSA
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 21:39:33 »
After doing a little more research I think it will be no problem! Thanks for the info!

Offline stand.geek

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 02:52:30 »

Dayum that's cool. How did you get that blue green orange set?

Offline snarfel

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 13:38:18 »
Anyone update on this? Been almost 2 years. :(

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 14:00:45 »
lol this grave dig

Offline snarfel

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 15:27:05 »
Zoinks, it's a thread the dead!