Author Topic: Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 185147 times)

Offline Will@Drop

• GH Admin & MD Co-Founder
  • * Administrator
    • Massdrop
Massdrop x Geekhack
« on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:31:40 »
Hello Friends,

My name is Will Bright, I’m a Co-Founder of Massdrop, GH lurker since ‘08 and member since ‘12. Yesterday we purchased Geekhack.

I learned about the sale thread on Monday morning, and my first reaction was.... Wut? Like many thread participants, I was surprised to see this and concerned with the potential outcomes. I’ve spent my entire life in enthusiast communities, and I’ve seen many great communities disperse because of dramatic changes in ownership or management. On Monday, I feared Geekhack would meet a similar fate. From there, I called a meeting of our founding team to discuss purchasing Geekhack with the primary goal of preserving it.

There’s a lot of great stuff about GH, some would argue there’s garbage stuff about GH, but I think it’s hard to debate the dedication and sense of community created by the mods and long-term members of this community. In purchasing Geekhack, our goal is to support that dedication and empower the moderator team to continue improving the community you’ve all invested so much to build.

We’re not making any immediate changes. All rules, standards, processes, and regulations are the same this week as they were last week, and will be the same next week, and the week after, etc. We’re not making GH an advertising platform. We’re not interested in playing favorites with vendors or group buys. We are making no changes to the moderator or admin team.

This change in ownership should affect a 0% change in your GH experience.

That said, GH won’t remain the same forever, it shouldn’t. Communities are organic, they grow, they evolve. The key from our point of view is to support that growth, rather than direct that growth. We’re working with the mod team and dedicated community members to learn more about where the community is headed and what we can do as owners to facilitate that growth. Rest assured, any notable changes will be the result of community supported initiatives, not the will of some distant actor. 

By this point, hopefully you’re feeling cautiously optimistic, but you’re probably looking for the catch. How does Massdrop as a business benefit from buying GH if we’re not changing anything to monetize the site? Having a place for people to dive deeper into Mechanical Keyboards helps Massdrop create better products and leads to people being bigger Massdrop customers.

Geekhack is where Mechanical Keyboard enthusiasts can develop their knowledge and create projects together. The community needs a place for that, and we’re excited to help GH continue as that platform.

Best,

Will

P.S. My GH signature was one of the first Massdrop brand assets we made in 2012 and we’re still helping folks manage large group buys today : ) 
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:49:51 by Will@MD »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:49:08 »
As a follow-up to Will’s post, the moderation team has drafted a response based on our feelings about the discussion we had with Will yesterday, and on the transfer of site ownership in general.

We were as blindsided as the rest of the community by the sudden announcement of the site sale and the uncertainty of its future. Yesterday evening we learned that the ownership was transferred to Massdrop, and we were contacted by Will, who reassured us that the site and how things have been run are not going to dramatically change overnight. Massdrop's intent appears to be to keep the site operating mostly as it has been, including the current arrangement for the marketplace. We will be working out possibilities of site feature upgrades and adding more dedicated forum maintenance and tech support. But for the foreseeable future, you can expect geekhack to remain in its familiar form -- and hopefully with some positive improvements on the way.

Please post your questions and feedback below, either for us or for Massdrop, and they will be answered as completely as we are able. We expect a lot of feedback, so to prevent our answers from being lost in the thread, we won’t be answering anything immediately. Instead, we’ll go through the questions as you post them, and compile a master list of everything the community would like to know. Responses to all questions will be posted later this week. We’ve included below some of the questions we’ve already asked, and the answers Will has provided to us.

In the meantime, remember that we’re all here for love of the hobby, and the community we’ve built around it. A lot of people have put a lot of work into this site, and we want to make sure that we can remain a valuable resource for a long time to come. As moderators, we want to make the best of changing circumstances, take advantage of some of the new opportunities and resources it brings, and see the keyboard enthusiast community continue to thrive.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:55:41 »
Q&A Part I:

Q: There's a concern about a vendor owning a platform and remaining impartial.  How is that going to change our level of autonomy and those of vendors on GH?

A: Autonomy is something we don't want to change. ... Far as the perception around a vendor owning the platform, it's important to understand Massdrop is at a pretty different scale than the vendors who depend on GH. We want to support these small vendors and maintain GH as a place where community makers can develop their businesses and products.

Q: One of the main serious questions people have is about private data collection.  If you have any statement about Massdrop's privacy policy in regards to geekhack, we'd love to get it.

A: We don't sell data to anybody under any circumstances. We don't care about real-world identities or tracking across platforms. We do care about the analysis of posts; we do a fair amount with that to determine what goes into our products. Why a headphone sounds the way it does, why we use a particular material on a keyboard instead of another, all of that is informed through analysis of the discussions on Massdrop and external platforms

Q: That's stuff you can do using the publicly-visible posts on GH whether or not you own the site though?

A: Exactly

Q: So will that model stay the same, or will how you gather feedback from GH change now that you own the site and potentially have access to more user data than is publicly-visible?

A: I can't think of anything we want that's not publicly visible, and I'm the main person driving on the analysis side.

Q: How does Massdrop plan to approach any direct competitors on the site: whether it will allow anyone to post here as before, or whether it will have control over which competing vendors are allowed?

A: Nothing changes and they can continue to operate as they have on GH. We don't want to stifle people trying to add to the mech keys ecosystem. That's how all the best products come to be.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 10:59:05 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:04:51 »
1st

:triangle:

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:05:25 »
I don't really have anything to say at this point but glad to see an end to the rumour mill and will be watching with interest. We shall see how this goes!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:05:59 »
cautious optimism

gonna send in a mod application a little later on today
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:06:56 »
It's not the darkest timeline

🎉

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:07:20 »
Thanks iMav for not selling to China  :thumb: (Though you could've just mentioned it so half the salt would've been avoided)

Really glad GH won't die yet

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:07:28 »
curious for the future, I'm optimistic :)

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:08:02 »
Agree with cautious optimism. MD has been good to me so far.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:09:27 »
This seems to be one of the better outcomes that could have come to pass.

Really glad to see the Mod team has been engaged with and is onboard  :thumb:

The site staying mostly the same also sounds great, sounds like you Mods/Admins will get some help bettering the site as well, which is great.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but my experiences with Massdrop and Will have always been positive, pretty excited to see what comes out of this  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:09:49 »
Puddsy pls no

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:12:09 »
Well, ok. This seems promissing.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:14:41 »
lol k
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:15:39 »
Mass...hack?

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:19:33 »
While I have had varying experiences from great to terrible with MD. I gotta say I am very glad they stepped in & bought GH before it ended up in the hands of some other company that is solely interested in using it as a data mill for revenue. I will echo most other's thoughts on this development & say I am cautiously optimistic about this. :thumb:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:20:51 »
cool, wondering what will happen with the GB section, will it be integrated with MD? I dont think that would be a good idea.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:21:14 »
cool, wondering what will happen with the GB section, will it be integrated with MD? I dont think that would be a good idea.

god i hope not
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:21:35 »
I also echo the sentiment of cautious optimism.  Massdrop and I first crossed paths in the fall of 2013 during an ErgoDox group buy.  There were some pretty serious errors with my order and it took several months to resolve, but I felt they bent over backwards to make things right for me.  They catch a lot of flack from some people, but my experience with them has been overwhelming positive.  I personally welcome our new overlords!

Offline JianYang

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:22:13 »
Mass...hack?
More likely
Geek...drop
 ;D

Offline gutsack

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:22:17 »
Well, that went better than I expected.

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:22:51 »

I'm sure that won't be the case.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:23:26 »

I'm sure that won't be the case.
I certainly hope so.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:23:29 »

That's basically addressed in the last answer of the initial Q&A posted in the 3rd reply to this thread.  They have no plans at the moment to change the way we run the marketplace here.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:24:03 »
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline russthebus27

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:24:15 »
Don't hate that MD is the new player.  iMav still a ***** for his actions.  Go pay your mortgages and remain in your hole.

Offline joey

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:26:31 »
I wonder if iMav will make another post, I hope so.

I don't think MD is the worst company to own GH, so that's something!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:29:20 »
Don't hate that MD is the new player.  iMav still a ***** for his actions.  Go pay your mortgages and remain in your hole.

I think it's probably best not to slam the guy. You can't discount what he did do for this community. Was everything handled perfect, or even well over the years? Definitely not. And I'm not saying I liked the guy at all either. But money can make people do crazy things. He got more money, and he paid for it with his legacy by not being a man of his word his last days here. Best to just be forward looking and get excited about things that may happen now that he is out of the picture.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:31:30 by livingspeedbump »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:29:33 »
Very mixed feelings with a hint of feeling positive.

It could've been way worse.

I now understand why someone would want to buy GH, and the vision sounds good.

Q: Was Massdrop the original bidder?

Never mind. Went back and looked. I'm glad MD saved us then.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:32:56 by xondat »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:29:50 »
Personally I see this as a good thing. The fact massdrop has untold resources at its disposal is a big plus. Perhaps we will start to see some major upgrades to the sight.

Offline joey

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:31:11 »
Also any chance you will disclose the final figure? (At least to the nearest $10k?)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:31:41 »
ignore this post
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:34:31 by Puddsy »

Offline ZedTheMan

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:32:14 »
I wonder if we will see geekhack ads on Massdrop now?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:32:16 »
I can see why Massdrop wouldn't be the first choice of some people, but it's certainly miles better than a data mining company harvesting our PM's now.

The best of luck to Will and the GH mod team!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:32:17 »
Very mixed feelings with a hint of feeling positive.

It could've been way worse.

I now understand why someone would want to buy GH, and the vision sounds good.

Q: Was Massdrop the original bidder?

Following the timeline of events, I'd say no. I believe CN was in bidding before MD got involved from what I can tell.

Offline dimo

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:33:09 »
I’ve said it countless times but MD is the only reason our community is gaining popularity, over the past several years especially.

They’re GMK drops always hit the highest numbers.

And more specifically- the Mercury Rocketeer project even getting great support on GH is a good sign for the future of more custom boards with Massdrop.

This makes me happy :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:35:09 »
Can we finally get a :facepalm: emoji?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline JoeriW

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:37:52 »
Works for me, probably the best outcome given the circumstances. Hope you stay true to your word and won't meddle with the GB's on GH but I guess it will be fine.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:41:39 »
Grats all!
  Yes, much better than our worst fears and nightmares. =}

* dfj retreats back to hide on irc for another year.

dfj
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:42:15 »
our community is gaining popularity

Too much of a hipster to be happy about that tbh

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:50:42 »
Well I definitely did not expect Massdrop to be the anonymous buyer...

While I do not necessarily agree with everything Massdrop has done in the past and how they chose to do business nowadays, I must say that this is probably one of the least negative outcomes this whole thing could produce.

I will keep an open mind and hope to see Massdrop stick to their word on preserving GH instead of transforming it into a marketing platform.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:53:09 »
A better outcome than what was to be expected from the hasty sale, I guess.
And nice to see this alive as a way to coordinate projects.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 11:53:54 »
I remember when Hash, myself and a few others (I think maybe mkawa??) met Will for the first time when they were spinning up Massdrop years ago. Could not have ever pictured the way things turned out but I echo others sentiments of cautious optimism.

Grats all!

dfj

#geekhack 4eva

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:02:34 »
I remember when Hash, myself and a few others (I think maybe mkawa??) met Will for the first time when they were spinning up Massdrop years ago. Could not have ever pictured the way things turned out but I echo others sentiments of cautious optimism.

Grats all!

dfj

#geekhack 4eva

speaking of disappearing for a year, hello

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:09:55 »
Concerned that Will spelled geekhack with a capital G. :(

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:10:43 »
This seems to be one of the better outcomes that could have come to pass.

Really glad to see the Mod team has been engaged with and is onboard  :thumb:

The site staying mostly the same also sounds great, sounds like you Mods/Admins will get some help bettering the site as well, which is great.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but my experiences with Massdrop and Will have always been positive, pretty excited to see what comes out of this  :thumb:

All that needs to be said here. Agree entirely. Regardless of people's positive interactions or experiences (as well as the lack thereof) with Massdrop, it's undeniable that they have reach, financial stability, know-how and a myriad of other qualities that can infinitely benefit Geekhack and us as a community.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:12:10 »
god bless, >>>DEALS<<< is gone.

Truly the best first step forward to take.  :rolleyes:

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:14:24 »
treat us well MD
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:16:02 »
I think most people here are glad that this site wasn't taken over by an outside company. But, the sense I'm getting from discussion isn't quite "cautious optimism." That might be what is literally being typed here, but I think the attitude I'm seeing (here and across various discords and slacks) would be better described as "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't."

While unarguably a large player, it's hard to think of Massdrop as a member of this corner of the kb community. Massdrop has profited over the blatant thefts of intellectual property. Designs that come from the members of this forum end up on MD as cheap knockoffs. Getting into the nitty-gritty of what constitutes intellectual property theft isn't really even the point. There are honor systems in place that MD has continued to ignore.

If you really want this community to believe that you're part of us and not here to farm us, this practice should end and some apologies should be issued.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:18:20 »
I'm pretty happy this went to Massdrop. It could have been much much worse. Massdrop gets a lot of **** around the community, and I've definitely said my fair share. But all the errors in orders I've had with them have always been rectified eventually. While that may not always be optimal, it's better then joining a GB and never seeing your item and losing your money because the one person running it decided to leave the hobby or hit hard times.

Also I think at times people forget that the problem/delay with a GB isnt always Massdrops fault. On top of that they run other GBs for other communities. I've personally been in a few of those and they have always been delivered on time or even early in some cases. I know there have been other issues not pertaining to GBs exactly, but im still hopeful that this will be good for geekhack as opposed to the alternative.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk