Author Topic: Flashing GH60 rev.C  (Read 12764 times)

Offline Prelim

Flashing GH60 rev.C
« on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:58:09 »
hi guys!

Guess I'm a noob (first time flashing a custom keyboard) but I can't get my GH60 working :(

I've flash firmware ukbdc_gh60-0.1.hex firmware using FLIP successfully and the keyboard did not respond any key press. Afterwards I've tried the latest ukbdc_gh60_revB-0.3-dev.hex, also flashed successfully but with the same result. Also tried ukbdc_gh60-0.2_rc2_std_layout.hex since I thought layout was missing, same results :( Windows detects new keyboard on device manager but nothing works.....

If I open FLIP again, it always gives and error on USB communication:

I have to press the program button (S1) on the back of the board, in order to FLIP detect the board again.

can someone help me?

2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: Flashing GH60 rev.C
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:22:20 »
You aren't connected to the PC yet, so it cannot be programmed.

The first step is to select your chipset.  I can't tell if you have done that yet.  And I'm not sure what board you are doing this on.  For the ones in my GB, we had the ATmega32u2.  Therefore, our instructions used that.  From that thread:

Ok the board is built but I can't figure out how to program it. I know about http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/alps64/index.html but not how to make it work.

Make the layout you want and export the hex file with the button at the bottom.  Open up the copy of FLiP you downloaded and plug in your keyboard.  Press the chip button on the left, and select your chip.  This PCB uses the ATmega32u2.  Then click the next button to the right and connect via USB, opening the connection.  While doing this, press the button on the back of your PCB.  It may take a few tries to connect correctly.  When you get it, load your hex file and Start Application.

If it went correctly, you will get no errors and your keyboard is ready.  Reconnect the keyboard and close FLiP.

So did it work yet?  There is something else you can do next if not.  Let me know.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:23:22 »
I don't know if it's the same problem but when flashing TMK in Linux the only reliable method I've found is to erase, wait 10 seconds, then flash the firmware, wait 10 seconds, then unplug and replug the USB cable and even this is only 90% successful!

It is correct that FLIP only detects a blank chip or after pressing the button as the USB device ID changes to one that means "keyboard" once you flash it, rather than "chip to program" :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Prelim

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:50:37 »
thanks for the help guys, but I guess I'm doing everything like it should be.

drivers are already installed (from C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb, just like it instructs on the official topic: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg828889#msg828889)

Programming the firmware (Windows)
1. download and install FLIP (http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx)
2. connect the keyboard, press the program button (S1) and wait until it enumerates
3. go to device manager, find the atmega32u4 chip and click "update driver"
4. choose location manually: folder named "usb" inside the installation directory of FLIP
5. once the driver is installed, run flip
6. Device -> Select: choose ATMega32U4
7. Settings -> Communication -> USB, FLIP should show the signature at this point (58 1E 95 87)
8. File -> Load HEX file: choose the hex firmware: ukbdc_gh60-0.1.hex
9. click "Run"
10. after programming is done, disconnect the device from USB and connect again.

The flash also seems to be done perfectly:

after reconnecting the board, windows detects it as new keyboard but no key is working :(

what could this be then? grrr
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:17:17 »
At some point during development it seems the diodes were flipped, and if they're the wrong way for the firmware the keys just won't work.  Have you tried shorting the switch to the other side of it's diode to test?  On the QWERTY row that would be the pin nearest the diode to the side of the diode that's away from the switch, if that makes any sense.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xauser

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:20:51 »
I would say you're doing everything right but the hex files you're using are for a different PCB revision. Means, the matrix has changed. Are you sure that your hex files are for rev c?

Offline Prelim

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:36:09 »
I would say you're doing everything right but the hex files you're using are for a different PCB revision. Means, the matrix has changed. Are you sure that your hex files are for rev c?

komar says 0.3 firmware should be the one to be using on rev.C: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.msg1843694#msg1843694

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:47:53 »
Try and flash the attached TMK which works on my RevC - it's ISO, Colemak and uses as many keys as possible but any output is better than none...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Prelim

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:51:18 »
At some point during development it seems the diodes were flipped, and if they're the wrong way for the firmware the keys just won't work.  Have you tried shorting the switch to the other side of it's diode to test?  On the QWERTY row that would be the pin nearest the diode to the side of the diode that's away from the switch, if that makes any sense.

done! (with a battery and led coupled) and all keys from that row are making perfect contact! so what now? :/

Offline Prelim

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 16:58:27 »
Try and flash the attached TMK which works on my RevC - it's ISO, Colemak and uses as many keys as possible but any output is better than none...

OMFG, it's working!!! you're the man!!!!!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

but now some keys aren't working because of the keymap :(

can you send me my keymap firmware?

Here's my raw data from http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com

layer0:
["Esc","!\n1","\"\n2","£\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{x:0.25,w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},"Enter"],
[{w:1.25,w2:1.75,l:true},"Caps Lock",{x:0.5},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","@\n'","~\n#"],
[{w:1.25},"LShift","|\n\\","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"RShift"],
[{w:1.5},"LCtrl","LWin",{w:1.5},"LAlt",{w:7},"Space",{w:1.5},"AltGr","Fn0",{w:1.5},"RCtrl"]

layout1:
["¬\n`","F1","F2","F3","F4","F5","F6","F7","F8","F9","F10","F11","F12",{w:2},"Delete"],
[{a:7,w:1.5},"","",{a:4},"up",{a:7},"","","","","",{a:4},"Insert",{a:7},"",{a:4},"print screen","scroll lock","pause\nbreak",{x:0.25,a:7,w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},""],
[{w:1.25,w2:1.75,l:true},"",{x:0.5,a:4},"left","down","right",{a:7},"","","","","","",{a:4},"Home","pgup",{a:7},""],
[{w:1.25},"","","","","","","",{a:4},"volume up","volume down","mute","end","pgdn",{a:7,w:2.75},""],
[{w:1.5},"","",{w:1.5},"",{w:7},"",{w:1.5},"","",{w:1.5},""]

also the keymap.c file to use on TMK from http://www.enjoyclick.org/tkg/ if you find it better to compile:
// Generated by TKG at 2016-01-23 05:38:52

#include "keymap_common.h"

#define KEYMAP_TKG( \
    K0A, K0B, K0C, K0D, K0E, K0F, K0G, K0H, K0I, K0J, K0K, K0L, K0M, K0N, \
    K1A, K1B, K1C, K1D, K1E, K1F, K1G, K1H, K1I, K1J, K1K, K1L, K1M     , \
    K2A, K2B, K2C, K2D, K2E, K2F, K2G, K2H, K2I, K2J, K2K, K2L, K2M, K2N, \
    K3A, K3B, K3C, K3D, K3E, K3F, K3G, K3H, K3I, K3J, K3K, K3L,      K3N, \
    K4A, K4B, K4C,           K4F,                          K4L, K4M, K4N  \
) { \
    { KC_##K0A, KC_##K0B, KC_##K0C, KC_##K0D, KC_##K0E, KC_##K0F, KC_##K0G, KC_##K0H, KC_##K0I, KC_##K0J, KC_##K0K, KC_##K0L, KC_##K0M, KC_##K0N }, \
    { KC_##K1A, KC_##K1B, KC_##K1C, KC_##K1D, KC_##K1E, KC_##K1F, KC_##K1G, KC_##K1H, KC_##K1I, KC_##K1J, KC_##K1K, KC_##K1L, KC_##K1M, KC_NO    }, \
    { KC_##K2A, KC_##K2B, KC_##K2C, KC_##K2D, KC_##K2E, KC_##K2F, KC_##K2G, KC_##K2H, KC_##K2I, KC_##K2J, KC_##K2K, KC_##K2L, KC_##K2M, KC_##K2N }, \
    { KC_##K3A, KC_##K3B, KC_##K3C, KC_##K3D, KC_##K3E, KC_##K3F, KC_##K3G, KC_##K3H, KC_##K3I, KC_##K3J, KC_##K3K, KC_##K3L, KC_NO,    KC_##K3N }, \
    { KC_##K4A, KC_##K4B, KC_##K4C, KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_##K4F, KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_NO,    KC_##K4L, KC_##K4M, KC_##K4N }  \
}

#ifdef KEYMAP_SECTION_ENABLE
const uint8_t keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS] __attribute__ ((section (".keymap.keymaps"))) = {
#else
const uint8_t keymaps[][MATRIX_ROWS][MATRIX_COLS] PROGMEM = {
#endif

• = KEYMAP_TKG(

ESC, 1,   2,   3,   4,   5,   6,   7,   8,   9,   0,   MINS,EQL, BSPC, \
        TAB, Q,   W,   E,   R,   T,   Y,   U,   I,   O,   P,   LBRC,RBRC,      \
        CAPS,A,   S,   D,   F,   G,   H,   J,   K,   L,   SCLN,QUOT,NUHS,ENT,  \
        LSFT,BSLS,Z,   X,   C,   V,   B,   N,   M,   COMM,DOT, SLSH,     RSFT, \
        LCTL,LGUI,LALT,          SPC,                          RALT,FN0, RCTL),
    [1] = KEYMAP_TKG(
        GRV, F1,  F2,  F3,  F4,  F5,  F6,  F7,  F8,  F9,  F10, F11, F12, DEL,  \
        TRNS,TRNS,UP,  TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,INS, TRNS,PSCR,SLCK,PAUS,      \
        TRNS,LEFT,DOWN,RGHT,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,HOME,PGUP,TRNS,TRNS, \
        TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,VOLU,VOLD,MUTE,END, PGDN,     TRNS, \
        TRNS,TRNS,TRNS,          TRNS,                         TRNS,TRNS,TRNS),

};

#ifdef KEYMAP_SECTION_ENABLE
const uint16_t fn_actions[] __attribute__ ((section (".keymap.fn_actions"))) = {
#else
const uint16_t fn_actions[] PROGMEM = {
#endif

• = ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY(1),

};

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:00:21 by Prelim »

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:01:30 »
Glad to see that Suicidal got you sorted.

Offline Hzza

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:10:39 »
This should (should...) be the hex of the layout you sent me at DT, let me know if it works or if it needs some tweaking.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:14:51 »
Thanks Hzza - I don't speak TMK very well and it didn't like me just sticking in that keymap.c and saying compile.

Now I won't need to stay up all night until I make it work :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Hzza

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:16:18 »
I had one that was more or less identical so I just tweaked that :D.

Just tested it on my spare PCB and I think it should be OK, let me know if there needs to be any changes Prelim mate.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:21:15 »
Handy, I made mine as an ISO-HHKB hybrid so I've messed with pretty much every file.  It works but I won't claim to know how!

Have you played with the LEDs yet?  I can't even get caps lock to light up and that config is included...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Prelim

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:23:08 »
This should (should...) be the hex of the layout you sent me at DT, let me know if it works or if it needs some tweaking.

You guys are amazing, it's what I can say!!!!

@Hzza this one is working PERFECT, just some 2-3 keys mismatching on 2nd layer

A BIG THANK YOU TO @suicidal_orange AND @Hzza FOR THE PROMPT HELP, LOVE YOU GUYS! Your next time in Portugal, remember beers are on me ;)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:31:15 »
No problem, just happy to get it working!  Must admit I got scared when you mentioned a battery, you only needed to connect the two places with a wire to simulate a switch press but no harm done it seems.

Don't forget to post some pics :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Hzza

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:32:25 »
Yeah, just spotted that, this one should be correct :D. Nevermind, still some issues... Right, sorted now :D.

@S_O, Not played with the LEDs yet, I'm not super bothered by not having them, although an anti-numlock light would be good (lit if numlock is off).
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:36:07 by Hzza »

Offline Prelim

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 17:57:18 »
here's my board my fellow GHs ;)

- GH60 rev.C pcb
- SPRiT acrylic plate 5mm white frosted
- Gaterons black modded (lubed/SPRiT 65g springs) + Cherry MX Lock on Fn key
- Cherry pcb mounted stablizers teflon modded
- Caps Cherry OG Dolch ITA + GMK CMYW modifiers
- Case Poker white clone

Offline battletux

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 03:54:27 »
Any chance someone could help me out here. I have finally managed to get the board to respond, using the firmware posted by Hzza a few posts up.

However I want to setup my own layout, for which I have been trying to use the TMK tool to no avail, is anyone able to assist?

I have installed gcc-avr on my Xubuntu machine, cd'd to the gh60 directory and run
Code: [Select]
make KEYMAP=poker I get the following error:

Code: [Select]
-------- begin --------
avr-gcc (GCC) 4.8.2
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

mkdir -p obj_gh60_lufa
Compiling C: keymap_poker.c
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=atmega32u4 -gdwarf-2 -DF_CPU=16000000UL -DINTERRUPT_CONTROL_ENDPOINT -DBOOTLOADER_SIZE=4096 -DF_USB=16000000UL -DARCH=ARCH_AVR8 -DUSB_DEVICE_ONLY -DUSE_FLASH_DESCRIPTORS -DUSE_STATIC_OPTIONS="(USB_DEVICE_OPT_FULLSPEED | USB_OPT_REG_ENABLED | USB_OPT_AUTO_PLL)" -DFIXED_CONTROL_ENDPOINT_SIZE=8  -DFIXED_NUM_CONFIGURATIONS=1 -DPROTOCOL_LUFA -DBOOTMAGIC_ENABLE -DMOUSEKEY_ENABLE -DMOUSE_ENABLE -DEXTRAKEY_ENABLE -DCONSOLE_ENABLE -DCOMMAND_ENABLE -DNKRO_ENABLE -DVERSION=5c89d73-dirty -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-inline-small-functions -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-adhlns=obj_gh60_lufa/keymap_poker.lst -I. -I../../tmk_core -I../../tmk_core/protocol/lufa -I../../tmk_core/protocol/lufa/LUFA-git -I../../tmk_core/common -std=gnu99 -include config.h -MMD -MP -MF .dep/obj_gh60_lufa_keymap_poker.o.d  keymap_poker.c -o obj_gh60_lufa/keymap_poker.o
In file included from keymap_common.h:20:0,
                 from keymap_poker.c:1:
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.8.2/include/stdint.h:9:26: fatal error: stdint.h: No such file or directory
 # include_next <stdint.h>
                          ^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [obj_gh60_lufa/keymap_poker.o] Error 1

I'm not sure what it is complaining about as the stdint.h file is where it says it is. I've also tried this on a separate ubuntu dedi I have and get the same error...

Offline Prelim

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 06:10:00 »
@Hzza is the best person I know to help you on TMK keymap coding.

However, you can try again the tool as I managed to get TKG Toolkit working as well (was getting a never ending "waiting for bootloader" before) on a XP machine, with a little help of Kai himself. If you already installed the FLIP drivers on computer, then you should update the driver for bootloader by using zadig which is in the tool folder. Then you can use reflash script to flash your keyboard.

1. Push the reset button and make sure the dfu bootloader appearing at "Devices and Printers".
2. Open zadig. Click "Options>List all devices" from the menu to enable the option.
3. Select "ATm32U4DFU" in the drop down list. ( Please be careful to ensure to select the dfu but not "GH60")
4. Select "WinUSB" as the driver. (Usually "WinUSB" is the default option)
5. Click "Install" button and wait for the installation finishing.

btw, I followed this tutorial: https://imgur.com/a/rfezG

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 09:03:46 »
@Hzza is the best person I know to help you on TMK keymap coding.

However, you can try again the tool as I managed to get TKG Toolkit working as well (was getting a never ending "waiting for bootloader" before) on a XP machine, with a little help of Kai himself. If you already installed the FLIP drivers on computer, then you should update the driver for bootloader by using zadig which is in the tool folder. Then you can use reflash script to flash your keyboard.

1. Push the reset button and make sure the dfu bootloader appearing at "Devices and Printers".
2. Open zadig. Click "Options>List all devices" from the menu to enable the option.
3. Select "ATm32U4DFU" in the drop down list. ( Please be careful to ensure to select the dfu but not "GH60")
4. Select "WinUSB" as the driver. (Usually "WinUSB" is the default option)
5. Click "Install" button and wait for the installation finishing.

btw, I followed this tutorial: https://imgur.com/a/rfezG

So let's just hypothetically say that someone did select the gh60 instead of the ATM32UD4FU... would their keyboard be completely bricked? I have tried everything to fix it since I made this mistake. I have redone steps 1 through 4 and it seems to flash when I used the TKG tool, but then it still doesn't work (even though it did before I installed the usb driver on gh60 instance).
Custom KC60

Offline Prelim

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 09:28:53 »
I don't think you would brick your keyboard, since we are talking about the OS interface drivers and not flashing anything into the pcb chipset. Have you tried it again on another computer?

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 10:47:57 »
Unfortunately I only have the one computer. It's just odd that it appears to flash when I hit the reset button, but then nothing works. When I get home I will take some screenshots of what I'm doing and hopefully that will help.
Custom KC60

Offline Prelim

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 16 December 2016, 11:58:12 »
please try it in someone else pc or laptop and let us know ;) If it doesn't work you your pc, then you should delete all the drivers etc, which is a lot more painful  :'( :'(

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 17:44:33 »
I'm reviving this thread because I think I have the same problem. I also have a revC and also can't flash it with my layout. suicidal_orange's layout flashes and works properly. Mine says it flashes, but I get the disconnect noise 10 seconds after plugging the board back in. I'll attach the keymap.c file I got from kbfirmware.com, but I don't know if that is the problem. I don't know what information is needed to troubleshoot this.

I also tried doing this in EasyAVR, which can flash it, but it flashes right shift to the wrong pins.

87u || Poker 2