Author Topic: Chair Height Dilemma  (Read 6220 times)

Offline typo

Chair Height Dilemma
« on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 22:34:54 »
As some of you might know I am literally over 7 feet tall.  My desk is a standard height. So, Should I have my feet flat on the floor and be towering over my keyboard. Or should I cross my ankles and lower the chair? This kind of sucks and it dawned on me someone here will know the correct posture. Please don't mention stand I know that. Also taller desk is kind of out of the question. I ask this now for a reason. I had my ankles crossed for years. I just put it up and it feels overall better. For instance my back. I do not know which would be "correct" in this instance.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
Re: Chair Height Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 03:52:00 »
Hunching over is bad for your back, so with those two options I'd probably keep a straight back but legs crossed. You could also consider an Asian meditation kneeling chair:
More
It'd keep your back in a good posture with your legs comfortably out of the way. Maybe not the best thing for an office, but ergonomically a good option in this case.

Of course the best thing would be to just get a taller table, why is it out of question? Depending or your current table, you could just buy new, longer legs for it. Or if it has cupboards as "legs", you can attach small extensions underneath, etc. You could also experiment with some kind of a tray system or riser for your keyboard. Difficult to say what works best for you.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 October 2017, 23:22:56 »
Thank you. I have an Asian chair but I am too large for it. Asian people tend not to be huge and nothing racist. Amazingly with the chair raised until my legs touch the desk my legs are still crossed! My arms are so long I am not hunched at all. I absolutely need a big Man's desk. Here is the issue. This desk has been passed down for 5 Generations. It is worth a lot of money. Most importantly it takes 5-6 able men to move it. Still banging up the walls Etc. Unless I hire the likes of Atlas or Mayflower movers. They will move it right. With them that small job might be $2,000. Mainly I just like that it was in my family for so long. I do not even care that new desks are press board etc. I have to look at an alternative option. As stupid as it will look I can as you mentioned put something under the legs. Although I will need a lot of help but that is not a issue. At least I will keep the Family Heirloom. Otherwise, yes ideally I need a big man's desk. It was never an issue until I got much older. I still work out 3 hours a day. I am not exactly 25 anymore.

Right now since my legs are still crossed as high as I can raise it and I do not have to bend my back I guess it does not even matter. I thought I had enough clearance to get my legs straight. The desk is simply too low. I think the only answer I am okay with is to "shim" the current desk. I really did not even think of that so thank you. I have to decide between that and putting this desk elsewhere in the building for display. Then getting an appropriate desk for myself. I am doing serious business so now that this has become an issue it is of great importance to me. I will just have to decide which option. Implementing either is not a problem luckily.

While I am at it I need a new chair. There are a couple of Aeron's and an Embody in a closet here. I was too big for them. I got the Eames about 4-5 years ago and really liked it. Incredibly the foam has broken down due to my size! I imagine someone can fix it. I doubt people throw out 5 Grand chairs or whatever this thing cost. I don't remember. I know an Ergonomic chair is ideal but they do not make them this big! I am not complaining though. My "issue" is but trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:33:23 »
Have you tried typing with the keyboard on your lap?  Admittedly, mousing might be a bit harder that way.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 15:35:07 »
You can get sit stand platforms that sit on a desk.  Have you looked at https://www.ergotron.com ?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 October 2017, 23:16:07 »
I actually have Varidesk. It is not nearly tall enough for standing. Many people would say they wish they were my height. No they don't. Ducking through doorway and everything kind of stinks. I am just going to do as I said and get something under this desk to raise it which in turn will raise the Varidesk. It takes 5-6 able men to lift this so I have to round up a posse. Actually I think I am going to then find most chairs do not elevate enough! Bending my back is not an issue because my arms are proportionately long. AFAIK, feet flat on the floor is proper. Even with my knees toughing the desk not I have to cross my legs. Certainly better than when the air cylinder was not raised at all. I just need to raise the desk. At least I will still have it. I will have to go to Home Depot and pick out the nicest looking option I can find. As of now the desk is too low but I may find the chair will not go high enough either. I do not know why I decided to address this now. I sat too low for years already.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 13:29:19 »
You need to think outside the box. Rather than raise the desk and chair, you should consider cutting a hole in the floor under the desk.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 14:54:34 »
There are products called "bed raisers" that raise beds up. You could find something commercial, or design your own.

These: https://www.amazon.com/Home-Adjustable-Risers-Furniture-Heights/dp/B00MH74S16/

Raise 8" and support 1,300 lbs (total, not per leg).

Had a friend years ago in a wheelchair. He raised his desk at work up enough to get his chair arms under it. I think that may have just beed 2x4s under each side.

Best of luck with the search!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 23:44:24 »
kurplol, I hope that is a joke. Actually I do not care but it devalues property and I doubt it meets code.

I took care of it already. The desk is Redwood. I got some Redwood 8x4" and had them finished. Then 6 of my Employee's lifted the desk while I put a "block" under each leg of Ten Inches in height. This caused the bottom of the desk to be 53". That was enough. I will tell you, being a beast is not fun. Also of course my Employee's have no grievances with me LOL. As I would have surely been dead if they had dropped it on me. They estimated it weighs something over a Ton. These guy's do hard labor so they are a good judge. I took out the Embody again. Luckily it goes way up. Now, you would think nearly 400# would not fit and it is certainly not rated for that. The thing is, toned, muscle on a Human is much different than a fat guy. I am actually rather compact! Right now I am liking the Embody better than the Eames or Hon I have.

Thank you guy's. You motivated me to get this done and stop crunching myself. The height increase plus the Embody feels much better.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 05:00:06 »
It wasn’t a joke but the suggestion wouldn’t be practical in most situations. I’m glad you found a solution. Being in the remodeling business, I’ve done a fair amount of ADA compliance work and other custom adaptations that would be impractical and undesirable for the general public but necessary for some people’s needs. Ramps, wide doorways, grab bars: to name a few.
You should post a picture of your desk. A funny thing about redwood is that it is, among wood species, it is one of the heaviest when first harvested and lightest when dried. Your desk must be massive.
I have two close relatives that are 6’8”+. It pains me to see them duck their heads to pass through doorways and fit into cars designed for people between 5’3 and 6’3. At seven feet plus, your hands must be huge. Do you have any unique challenges using a keyboard or cell phones? I hope you’re not a proctologist! {That was a joke}

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 08:50:12 »
LOL on last one. I had mentioned issues typing recently. I was using a switch that actuated at 120g,cn+. Right now I am using a 46G Topre. It is more difficult but I switch boards. I have Parkinson's but after a long time it is just a mild jitter. The University of Chicago is studying why it has not progressed. Either way,lucky! The desk is from Jens Rism but one of his Forefathers.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 12:40:16 »
I actually have Varidesk. It is not nearly tall enough for standing. Many people would say they wish they were my height. No they don't. Ducking through doorway and everything kind of stinks. I am just going to do as I said and get something under this desk to raise it which in turn will raise the Varidesk. It takes 5-6 able men to lift this so I have to round up a posse. Actually I think I am going to then find most chairs do not elevate enough! Bending my back is not an issue because my arms are proportionately long. AFAIK, feet flat on the floor is proper. Even with my knees toughing the desk not I have to cross my legs. Certainly better than when the air cylinder was not raised at all. I just need to raise the desk. At least I will still have it. I will have to go to Home Depot and pick out the nicest looking option I can find. As of now the desk is too low but I may find the chair will not go high enough either. I do not know why I decided to address this now. I sat too low for years already.

I don't understand, can you lift the Varidesk up a little to the appropriate height for when you're sitting with your feet flat?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline typo

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 00:44:14 »
No I could not. It is not flush with the desk but back. Sure, my arms are long enough but it was less than ideal. Just raised the desk. Since standing the Varidesk was not high enough anyways. It is designed for people up to like 6'-3".