Author Topic: Macintosh M0110 USB converter  (Read 141424 times)

Offline sanitypotion

Re: Macintosh M0110 USB converter
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 13:49:48 »
Seems like wrong connection? did you try reverse order of wires and swap DATA and CLK or 5V and GND?

I am laughing at myself now :)) Turns out, when I found those solder points on the main board so long ago, I got CLK and DATA switched. And when I plugged those main board wires in, my brain subconsciously re-switched them. Then, when I was troubleshooting at a time I should have been in bed instead, I never even thought I could have gone wrong in my main board connections! I simply switched two wires on the breadboard and it is now working perfectly with the 4P4C connector--I'd be typing this on it right now if I wasn't too lazy to put it back together first. I should know now that nothing I do is infallible--thanks for your help and for reminding me not to always trust my past self in simple tasks  :thumb:

Offline dothedog

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 22:11:03 »
I'm a little confused at the cross-over/straight problem. So if someone can correct me if I'm wrong that would be very helpful

Using a phone cable:
Facing the keyboard port, the wires from left to right go: black red green yellow. So
black = gnd
red = clock
green = data
yellow = 5v

and the original mac cable would be the same, if black is on the left? Opposite way around if yellow is on the left?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 22:54:57 »
Yea, description in first post is a little confusing I'll update it later.
You will know correct wiring in the end if you examine cable with multimeter.

Pinouts of keyboard connector is also same as this.

And see this for difference between hadset cable and Mac one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#Data_port

Offline dothedog

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:30:18 »
http://imgur.com/a/16Fxx

I hope you can make out the wire colors. left to right facing the keyboard: yellow-green-red-black

hid_listen prints out
m0110_send err: 04
m0110_recv err: 01

sometimes 02, 03 randomly

I'm building using rev1 makefile with the current master branch revision.

I believe that the keyboard works. I got the keyboard to spit out random keys without a pullup resistor but I messed up the teensy trying to solder on a pullup resistor, so i got another teensy and tried again. I'm using a chinese teensy clone. I did continuity checks on the plug end and the teensy end and it seems fine, so if there's anything else i can check, that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 00:32:56 by dothedog »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 02:12:39 »
search pull up resistor and learn. It seems you soldered resistor wrongly. you need two resistors on both data and clock btw.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 05:23:31 by hasu »

Offline dothedog

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:11:39 »
Ahh yes it should be between VCC and D0 and VCC and D1. I wasn't thinking. Thanks!

Edit: Yup that was it. Typing on my m0110a right now. :). On to getting my IBM Model F XT to work  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 July 2017, 23:11:47 by dothedog »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 14:35:24 »
Ahh yes it should be between VCC and D0 and VCC and D1. I wasn't thinking. Thanks!

Edit: Yup that was it. Typing on my m0110a right now. :). On to getting my IBM Model F XT to work  :))

Great!
it would be nice if you keep subscribing this thread to help new comers in trouble.

Offline jeffooi

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 04:42:16 »
Hi All (Deep breath) my first post.

I have used a Macintosh Plus shell to house a Raspberry Pi running RetroPi and EMulation station.
I was very keen to get my M0110 keyboard hooked up to the Pi via USB and the converter. However it is not picking up the keyboard. I haven't compiled any firmware or installed anything yet and I am wondering whether you could help a noob like me. Please keep in mind that I know nothing of linix and the last time I compiled something was in the 1990s in something called Turbo C.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Offline jeffooi

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 23:26:56 »
Hi there thanks Shawnmeg for your help, I've got my machine running with my ancient m0110 keyboard now. Next thing will be to work out how to map function keys but that's a discussion for another forum I think :thumb:

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 02:33:05 »
Hi all,
Trying to convert an M0110 over here. Don't know if I've done anything right, at all, but...anyway. I have a pro micro wired up to the keyboard, and I've got (two) 1.5 kilohm pull up resistors running from/across  VCC to the clock and data lines.

I pulled the git repository and compiled it, seems like it got flashed to the pro micro okay. I tried m0110_usb.hex and the rev1 file in the binary folder.  No output from the keyboard on either. Should I try 5 kilohm resistors or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 21:34:52 »
Current default key mapping on Keymap Editor places Control on Caps lock key because I replaced locking switch of the key with normal one on my M0110 and have used it as Control comfortably. But this is not useful at all for users with stock lockingswitch. I like to make default keymap more useful for many of users as possible.
Current mapping: http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?m0110_usb_m0110a

Now I wonder how M0110/A users place Control key on their keyboard. Can you share your keymap/idea?

With 'dual-role key' function(ACTION_MODS_TAP_KEY) defining Controls on Tab and Enter is my idea so far.
https://goo.gl/YXvTkb

EDIT:
Btw, you can get descrete SKCC short stem switch for locking switch replacement here.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SKCC-BJ0001-keyboard-switch-button-switch-reset-switch-micro-switch/32813803943.html
If your M0110A is MITSUMI model you can just remove locking mechanism of the switch easily instead of replacement. It still requires desoldering though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 September 2018, 21:47:26 by hasu »

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 04 October 2018, 22:06:50 »
Is the M0110A firmware compatible with both M0110 and M0110A keyboards? Or do I need different firmware for each?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 05 October 2018, 02:15:25 »
Is the M0110A firmware compatible with both M0110 and M0110A keyboards? Or do I need different firmware for each?

Yes, it is compatible.

Offline liscombc

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 23:52:42 »
Needing some help here. I have Hasu's converter, but I wanted the converter inside the case. I removed both telephone Jack's and wired it without success.

My understanding is the wiring should be crossed over, as that's how the adapter was positioned. If that's right and I'm crossing the wires then from the keyboard I should have 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, and 4-1?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 16:03:10 »
Needing some help here. I have Hasu's converter, but I wanted the converter inside the case. I removed both telephone Jack's and wired it without success.

My understanding is the wiring should be crossed over, as that's how the adapter was positioned. If that's right and I'm crossing the wires then from the keyboard I should have 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, and 4-1?

I think you are right, TMK M0110 converter is designed for use with phone handset cord(crossover cable).
So TMK M0110 converter 4P4C socket pins(marked as "cross" on current PCB) are:
1 5V
2 Data
3 Clock
4 GND
Note that pins are reversed to socket on keyboard.

You should wire them crossover as you described.

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 16:52:09 »
Hello, I am currently trying to convert my M0110. I have managed to wire it up and get it flashed with the firmware from your github, but this places CONTROL on the locking caps lock. How can I change the layout so it works when I flash it? I am using AVRDUDESS and attempting to use any other firmware causes the keyboard not to work at all.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:00:54 »
You can use Tmk keymap editor to remap. You should select rev.1 firmware for pro micro or atmega32u4 while Rev.2 firmware fits only for TMK M0110 converter or atmega32u2.

Offline SuccnYeet

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:07:44 »
Okay, it seems to be working now, I'm not sure why it wasn't before. Thank you very much!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:39:44 »
No problem.
I know people can solve problem by themselves in the end if they take enough time :D
Glad to help you somewhat.

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 06:11:51 »
How do you jump into bootloader mode? In an ADB converter you just press Magic + Pause key and it goes to bootloader mode.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 20:34:41 »
How do you jump into bootloader mode? In an ADB converter you just press Magic + Pause key and it goes to bootloader mode.

Didn't work Magic  + Pause on your M0110* keyboard?
If so the key combo be blocked by keyboard's rollover limitation probably.

Offline sharpfork

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 20:30:56 »
Thanks for putting this together!

I successfully flashed my 32u4 with M0110A-USB Converter rev.1 for M0110A and got it working fine with my M0110A.  I figured out that my "O" key is physically broken so I pulled out a M0110 I have.  I changed the TMK Keymap Editor to
M0110-USB Converter rev.1 for M0110, downloaded the hex, erased my 32u4 in dfu-programmer, reflashed the M0110 file (named differently than the M0110A file), and reset the 32u4.  The M0110 isn't working but the M0110A is still working.  I tried this a bunch of times, downloading a new hex and making sure I had the right file but I can only get the M0110A to work even after I flash with the M0110 hex.

I'm guessing this is me being dumb but figured I'd ask for some tips incase I might be doing something dumb on the TMK Keymap Editor page.

Thanks again!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:14:07 »
The firmwares are equivalent and should work with both M0110 and M0110A,  difference is keymapping on a few keys.
M0110 seems to be faulty, are you sure it worked before?

EDIT: And try hid_listen to see debug output.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:20:11 by hasu »

Offline Dobsonslab

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 10:56:24 »
I've got 3 m0110a boards that I'm restoring and planning to build one of these, I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron but can I check if there are any concerns over compatibility with the different versions of the m0110a that exist?

I've got one USA board with the Alps switches, and two Mitsumi boards one from Japan and one from Malaysia, and just wanted to check if there are any special differences I might have missed?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 20:06:16 »
I've got 3 m0110a boards that I'm restoring and planning to build one of these, I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron but can I check if there are any concerns over compatibility with the different versions of the m0110a that exist?

I've got one USA board with the Alps switches, and two Mitsumi boards one from Japan and one from Malaysia, and just wanted to check if there are any special differences I might have missed?

No difference in terms of protocol.

Offline rhubarbpi

• ALPS ORANGIQUE / SALMONIQUE
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 22:05:15 »
Greetings -
So to change one of the keys to Control on an M0110A, when using the TMK Core library, you simply use the TMK Keymap Editor and load the file into the firmware with the updated mapping?

Trying to plan ahead as I use Control quite a lot and need to be able to use it, never updated the keymap before & M0110A arriving soon!
Thanks in advance for responses.

- Rhubarb Pi
*daily drivers*

Apple AEK - #{Alps Orange}
Apple M0116 - #{Alps Salmon}
Apple M0110A - #{Alps Tall Cream}
Apple AEKII - #{Alps Dampened Cream}
Apple IIgs - #{Alps Orange}

- all powered by tinkerBoy Converters :D

Offline doomsday_device

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 13:35:42 »
hey, first post here. really desperate to convert my m0110a. cant get it to work. using pro micro 16mhz 5v with atmel32u4, when i flash it with avrdudess (succeeds) windows 10 gives me driver failure. code 43 in the device-manager. when flashing adb or soarer hex it works without problems on same pro micro. i dont have a clue anymore, asked so much people. any ideas? didnt wired or soldered anything yet. tried both revisions and have tried atleast 3 different hex files from other peoples.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 13:37:45 by doomsday_device »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 16:33:35 »
This is quote  from ADB-USB converter thread but it is still useful for this converter.

README FIRST
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/converter/adb_usb

and optionally,
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/labels/NOTE

NEED HELP: Your self-made converter doesn't work?

Don't ask help before placing pull-up resistor and trying solder on J1!

You are cheap and got Pro Micro from unreliable source, instead of Sparkfun? OK, but confirm it has 16MHz crystal. And probably you need to fill solder on jumper J1 to feed keyboard good power supply 5V if you are in trouble and J1 is not soldered yet. See this post and schematic.

In most cases your wiring is wrong. Check your wiring yourself again and again, one hundred times! And try swapping wires at your own risk, note that your wiring are already wrong at this point probably :D It won't break your keyboard unless you are extremely unlucky.

Now you need help? OK. If you are not sure about your wiring, post pics of your hardware and wriring this really save our time. Don't save your time by omitting this. Shots of controller side and ADB connector/keyboard side would be helpful. If you edit code post your code. Don't hesitate to show your dirty code! Also output from hid_listen command would be useful to debug hardware and firmware.

[rant]
Many people said they are sure their wiring is fine first but it became clear they failed to do that in the end many times in this thread :( And they often omit pull-up resistor for no reason, you must have it.
Don't take advantage of generosity of kind and helpful members(yes, including me, of course  ;))! Their time is more precious than your time, use your time to learn and look into your problem first.
[/rant]

Offline doomsday_device

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 15:05:12 »
thanks for the reply! i did read all that. pinout doublechecked ten times, j1 is shorted. everything is soldered. still getting driver failure after flashing.
(Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

i dont know why it should make a difference if soldered or not in the first place but i give you that. its not that the keyboard itself doesnt work, i cant tell for now as the firmware seems to be faulty. when flashing adb or soarer on same pro micro its recognized correctly in windows.

yellow is gnd, green is clock, white is data and black is vcc. these are both 1k resistors. cable is shortened cherry g80 cable with rj11 plug on keyboard side.
log from avrdude:
Code: [Select]
>>>: avrdude -u -c avr109 -p m32u4 -P COM11 -F -U flash:w:"D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex":a

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "CATERIN"; type = S
    Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x44

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9587 (probably m32u4)
avrdude.exe: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
             To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (27136 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.45s

avrdude.exe: 27136 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file D:\Downloads\m0110_usb_rev2_unimap.hex contains 27136 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.18s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 27136 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2020, 15:36:13 by doomsday_device »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 20:05:40 »
use rev.1 firmware for ATmega32u4.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/

Offline doomsday_device

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 07:06:33 »
oh yes that was it. i dont know why i didnt tried rev 1 anymore. thanks!

Offline SARIEL42

• I have no idea what I'm actually doing.
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 17:41:23 »
Is there a way to do a reverse of this? I have a macintosh 512k, but not a keyboard or mouse for it, but I have plenty of modern keyboards and mouses, and I'd like to be able to make the computer usable, but I have had no luck in even beginning to find resources to make this work, I have no idea on where to even start, and it seems you know quite a bit on this topic, so does there happen to be a way to do basically a reverse of your project here, converting USB into m0110 to allow modern keyboards to be used on the mac 512k

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 18:33:36 »
I found these project for keyboard after quick research:
https://github.com/trekawek/mac-plus-ps2
http://www.synack.net/~bbraun/mackbd/index.html

If you want to stick to USB instead of PS/2, check this.
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0

As for M0110 keyboard protocol you can find some resources in the first post and here.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/protocol/m0110.c#L572-L590

Offline SARIEL42

• I have no idea what I'm actually doing.
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 18:39:11 »
Alright then, thank you so much! I will look into these and try to make it work

Offline Nomad_00

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 16:24:56 »
Hello!, I have three questions about the soldering.  I am using a pro micro I have already bridged the J1

1. does the +5v cable go to the RAW pinout or the VCC?

2. do I need resistors if I am not using a long cord?

3. is the only thing I am flashing to the board the hex file?

thank you very much

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 23:12:52 »

Offline emanon

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 08:27:14 »
works with m0110aj as well i would assume?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 17:47:19 »
What does m0110aj look like?
and what is difference from other M0110?

EDIT: Ah, M0110AJ is just M0110A with Japanese legends. It should work.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 July 2022, 21:03:04 by hasu »

Offline Nomad_00

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 22:21:59 »
i got it to work! currently typing this out on my new (old) keyboard! having little trouble with ghost inputs, and a key will repeat a lot( likeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this) or there will be slight delay with backspace. is this the keyboard its self or the tmk software? 

next on my list is to lube the keys and add foam to quiet the pinging sound.

thanks!

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 21:52:16 »
YOUR HELP NEEDED for International(ISO) keyboard support

Can anyone who own M0110 with tiny ISO return key like pic below help me?

I like to know its 'Model ID' to add international-layout M0110 support.
Please let me know 'Model ID' of your M0110 and 'Model Number' printed on back-side label.

To get 'Model ID':
0. Download the latest firmware from Keymap Editor and flash it on converter. (Just updated firmware for this purpose.)
1. Run hid_listen
2. Plug converter into computer
3. Plug keyboard into converter

You will see 'model ID' on hid_lisen console as below. My US-layout M0110 shows '09' as model ID in this example.

Code: [Select]
Waiting for new device:........
Listening:

TMK:ca021a/LUFA:d6a7df

USB configured.

Loop start.
model: 09

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2023, 23:15:46 by hasu »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 29 August 2023, 22:38:48 »
bump

Can anyone who own international-layout M0110 help me?
Please check previous post.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 27 January 2024, 09:27:01 »
Support for International layout

Keymap Editor support for International layout is available now.

See Issue #771 and the first post.