Author Topic: [IC] Theseus75 | New Year, New Colors  (Read 46841 times)

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
[IC] Theseus75 | New Year, New Colors
« on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 14:20:38 »
Theseus75
If every part of a vessel is replaced, is it still the same vessel?

IC Form | Discord | Instagram

Hey all, I'm Alex. :D This is my first IC, so bear with me.

What started as a personal project has grown into something I wanted to share with the community. Enter the Theseus75 — a balanced 75% split mechanical keyboard kit.

Table of Contents
  • Background
  • Specifications
  • Pricing
  • Vendors
  • Gallery
  • Acknowledgements
  • Changelog

Background

I've been itching to try my hand at a hand-wired board for some time now, but without a case to put it all in, it was easy to be dissuaded. Macropads are fun, and they seemed like a good place to start, but I wanted to make this project count—I wanted my "endgame." Inspired by several boards already on the market, this was my attempt to assemble all the features I liked into the form of a high-end, the function of a 75%, and the flexibility of a split. Originally my plan was to make the case by hand out of hardwood, but after diving further into the keyboard atelier rabbit hole journey, finding the right materials and manufacturers to mill such a complex piece out of wood just hasn't been tenable. But after modeling and rendering an aluminum frame with several color finishes, I fell in love: hardwood or not, I needed it. Thought you might too. ;)

The name for this board was born out of the many times I've started this project over from scratch: rebuild after rebuild, was it still the same board I started with? Figured I'd leave that one to the philosophers. In either case, as something you can take apart and put back together, the name just felt right.

Specifications
  • 6° typing angle
  • 75% layout w/ macro column + exploded navigation
  • Two Alps EC11 rotary encoders w/ 1.5mm push-button switch
  • 20mm front height (~36.6mm overall height)
  • ANSI hot-swap or ANSI/ISO solder PCB
  • RGB LED under-glow and caps lock indicator
  • QMK/VIA compatibility
  • Magnetic interlocking
  • LEMO-compatible 1B 5-pin interconnect
  • Embedded USB 2.0 hub (useful for Yubikey, Logi Receiver, etc.)
  • Hybrid mount design
  • 6063 aluminum frame
  • Frosted polycarbonate base

297019-0
297806-1

All PCBs will include the following options:
  • Stepped capslock
  • Split left shift
  • Split backspace
  • Reversible 1.25/2.25u spacebar
Note that the hot-swap PCB will have only ANSI (2.25u) enter support, and solder PCB will have both ANSI and ISO enter options.

UPDATE: by popular demand, the solder PCB will also include pseudo-Tsangan support (1.5+1+1.5+2.25+1 on the left, 2.75+1.5+1.5 on the right).
Note that this will come at the expense of clip-in stabilizers — i.e., most clip-ins will NOT be compatible with the solder PCB. If you feel strongly about this and prefer clip-in support, I highly encourage you to note it in the IC — there is a question added specifically for this, so that way this decision reflects the majority of user requests.

Colors

In keeping with the Greek mythology theme, I am planning to make the board available in the following colorways:

Apollo
  (e-white)
Artemis
  (anodized black)
Hermes
  (anodized silver)
Poseidon
  (anodized blue)
Ares
  (anodized burgundy)
Demeter
  (anodized emerald green)
Aphrodite
  (e-pink)
Hera
  (anodized purple)
Helios
  (e-yellow)

UPDATE:
Given the latest IC feedback, I am also gauging interest for two additional colorways:

Dionysus
  (anodized violet)
Olympus
  (e-beige)

Considering the logistical complexity that this would add to an already sizeable list of colors, the level of community interest will determine whether these are made available for the official group buy, whether they end up as limited-edition units, or whether they get produced altogether. So if you are interested and passionate about seeing these colors run, I highly encourage filling out the IC form.

Mounting System
305933-2
Originally, the Theseus was designed as a top-mount board, but with the overwhelming requests for gasket-mounting early on in the IC, I caved and switched to a more mainstream mount. However, since everything else is designed to be mounted to the top of the case (DBs, FLEMO connectors, and the PC base), I realized that in practice, the floating gasket approach becomes awkward to deal with during assembly and makes alignment extremely finicky. Along with sound and feel, I want to prioritize ease-of-assembly for this board — which is why I'm excited to share this new mounting system.

The latest iteration will use grommets to align, isolate, and secure the plate during assembly. These custom-designed silicone grommets are snapped into leaf springs cut into the plate, placed into the case with recesses to guide, and then (optionally) fastened to the top of the case with screws. Not only should this keep things properly in place, but it also affords the choice of sticking with a screwless gasket mount if you prefer. Each kit will come with two sets of grommets, each of varying hardness (50A and 70A)—meaning you can opt for a stiffer or more flexible feel by swapping them out. All this will be used in combination with extra-soft PORON gaskets on the sides of the plate, so there's no gap showing at the split. ;)

Estimated Price
~$400-500 USD

Includes the following kit contents:
  • Keyboard case (aluminum frame + polycarbonate base)
  • Left + right PCBs (choice of hot-swap or solder)
  • Left + right daughterboards w/ cables
  • LEMO-compatible 1B panel-mount connectors w/ cables
  • LEMO-compatible 1B interconnect cable w/ braided PET sleeving
  • FR4 plate (additional plate materials as extras)
  • PORON® gaskets/plate foam
  • PORON® Switch pads
  • PORON® PCB foam
  • 2 PVD-coated brass knobs (additional colors as extras)
  • 2 Aluminum knob mounts
  • 2 Knob mount set screws (M2)
  • 2 Knob mount silicone o-rings
  • Friction-fit silicone feet (1 set black + 1 set white)
  • Silicone grommets (1 set 50A + 1 set 70A)
  • Grommet screws (M2)
  • Daughterboard screws (M3)
  • Case screws (M2.5)
  • Plate standoffs and screws (M2)
  • Assorted tools
  • Custom-designed carrying case
Note that the price point above is only a rough estimate, and that the final GB price may change. I am aiming to keep the cost of the board as affordable as possible while ensuring the kit includes all the necessary components, so this price point and IC will be refined as the project solidifies. You can visit the IC form at any time to change your answer.

Extras
  • Plates: brass, aluminum (black anodized), POM (black), polycarbonate (clear), carbon fiber
  • Knobs: gold, rose gold, black, chroma PVD
  • Split wrist rest (matching case colors)
  • Additional hot-swap or solder PCBs
  • Custom-designed interconnect cables (provided by VoxelMods)
If you have an idea for something not on this list, mention it in the IC form — I can't guarantee it will be offered, but if there's enough interest I'll definitely try to make it available.

Vendors

United States:
Dangkeebs
Canada:
Ashkeebs
United Kingdom:
Proto[Typist]
Europe:
KEYGEM
Oceania:
ALL CAPS
China:
zFrontier
Philippines:
Zion Studios
Singapore:
Hex Keyboards
Vietnam:
MOKB Store

Gallery

Latest Prototypes:

CNC Prototype v3:
More
*Photos by @captain.sterling. The knob used is an older design iteration that proved to be difficult to manufacture without the knurling marks extending into the "dome" portion. This iteration also used a floating gasket mount, which made alignment somewhat finicky during assembly—this should be mitigated by the new hybrid grommet mount design.

v2 Studio Renders:
More
*Renders by @mark_the_weeb and @lizcuits. These renders were of a revised v2 design that used counterbored M3 screws for the base, adding a screw in the front middle to help mitigate the bowing issue seen in earlier revisions. The case has since been redesigned to fix this issue without the need for an additional screw. ;)

CNC Prototype v2:
More
*Case produced by previous manufacturer.

CNC Prototype v1:
More
*Case produced by previous manufacturer. GX-16 had been removed in favor of quick-detach "FLEMO" connectors. This iteration had a much thinner "underscore" below the connector recesses and a thinner PC base overall, which resulted in the bottom bowing out after assembly.

SLA Prototype v1:
More
*SLA-printed case w/ laser-cut POM plate and EVA foam. This was a very rough first draft to test fitment and overall viability.

v1 Studio Renders:
More
*Renders by @its.hymn. This iteration had sharp 90° corners along the split walls.

Renders w/ GX-16:
More
*Renders by @its.hymn.

Initial renders:
More
*Initial renders done directly in CAD modeling software. These depicted the hardwood version that I had initially planned to make.

Acknowledgements

Updates
Changes will be summarized here as the thread is updated.

2022-10-26: OP
2022-11-13: Blue colorway added, features updated
2023-01-02: 3DP prototype photos added, PCB designer announced
2023-02-28: Colorways updated, PCB options announced, renders added
2023-03-01: Banner render added
2023-03-31: Pseudo-Tsangan support added, rough CNC proto photos added
2023-04-21: First round of vendors added
2023-06-28: Second round of vendors and proto photos added
2023-08-02: Base kit details updated, professional photos added, OP reorganized
2023-08-03: New mounting system details added
2024-02-02: Colors, mounting details, kit contents, and extras updated; Vietnam vendor added
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2024, 20:16:57 by haversnail »

Offline fortissim2

Re: [IC] Theseus75 | a balanced 75% premium split
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 14:27:48 »
I love it, GLWIC!
I was also planning on learning handwiring so this board will be the perfect opportunity for me :)

Offline japancakes

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 13:34:40 »
Damn, I've been wanting a VE.A for years but this would do the trick.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 13:37:44 »
Damn, I've been wanting a VE.A for years but this would do the trick.

Ooo, how have I never seen this?? May have to take some notes!

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 13:41:15 »
I love it, GLWIC!
I was also planning on learning handwiring so this board will be the perfect opportunity for me :)

TY! Based on the IC results so far, we may be in the minority. ;) Either way I'm very much looking into getting a PCB designed for this!

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 16:22:22 »
hardwood looks pretty cool but i think im going to be homeless for the next year so ill pass

Offline futur

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 10:36:04 »
Wood is always a W, hoping PCB comes very soon :) GLWIC!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2022, 10:39:26 by futur »

Offline thornkin

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 21:55:31 »
Really want a ve.a and this will fill that same niche.  Would buy if you get it made.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline PinkCynicism

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 19:08:34 »
Imma developing some issues from computer use so this is very appealing. Hope it does well and new colours come.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 22:10:37 »
Update — added two new colorways: Aegean (anodized blue) and Artemis (anodized black). Added a few new features based on initial feedback from IC and elsewhere, namely an integrated USB hub, with more on the way. :)

Also currently in discussions on a PCB design and coordinating with a few manufacturers; planning to update folks soon on an expected price and MOQ. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2022, 08:20:57 by haversnail »

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Updated Colorways + Renders!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 14:24:10 »
Really into that hardwood option. Looks great.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Prototype photos
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 11:39:51 »
Happy New Years all! :D

I want to ring in 2023 with an update on the Theseus75 project. Having been on the opposite end of opaque and lengthy GBs myself, I plan to prioritize transparency throughout the duration of this project. Just like its namesake, parts of the original Theseus have been upgraded, scrapped, or replaced altogether to avoid compromising on the features that make this board unique. Combining that with the passionate and ongoing feedback from the community, below is the list of updates and changes to date:

• As you can see in the photos, the first prototype has arrived! While the final case will be CNC milled, this prototype was SLA printed to test fitment. Given the nature of the enclosed split design, getting the tolerances right will be critical, and I wanted to make sure the design was viable before moving onto the more costly CNC version.
  • I’m happy to share that a PCB designer has been selected. I look forward to announcing them once we work out the details!
  • Unlike most other split boards, the Theseus75 will allow the spare USB-C port to be used as a USB 2.0 data port. This should be perfect for a Yubikey, Logi USB Receiver, or any other low-power peripheral. Unlike the previous renders, we've determined that we do not need the additional side USB-C ports to enable this functionality.
  • Per IC feedback, the mounting system has been changed from an o-ring top-mount to a gasket-mount. Setting aside the subjective merits of each, combining this method with extra gaskets should offer a more customizable typing experience for those that prefer greater or less flex in their boards.
  • Unfortunately, finding manufacturers that can both source the materials for and machine the signature hardwood option has been a challenge. Additionally, given the feedback from folks in the community (shout-out to Blacksimon and hiney), a wood case presents unique manufacturing and shipping challenges that your typical aluminum or plastic enclosure does not. In the interest of keeping the project moving forward, I will be prioritizing the aluminum case options while the hunt for hardwood continues.

As I venture into vendorship and further yet into the hobby, you’ll see more exciting projects coming your way. Stay tuned, and have a great year! :thumb:

Edit: not sure why GH is rotating the thumbnails, but if you enlarge them they should be oriented correctly. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 January 2023, 11:45:44 by haversnail »

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Prototype photos
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 13:45:09 »
Also: I'm happy to announce that I'll be working with ebastler on the PCB design — if you somehow haven't seen his work before, be sure to check out his portfolios!

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Prototype photos | PCB designer announced | $$$
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 15:54:27 »
FYI, the initial estimated price has been added to the thread. Hopefully this helps yield more accurate IC results!

Offline Abraham

Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Prototype photos | PCB designer announced | Price Estimate
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 02:21:57 »
cool! take my wallet :D

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 12:57:16 »
This looks amazing. Been wanting a split with hotswap and 1.25/2.25/2.75 split spacebar forever. Only Keebio is the only available option for this currently, and technically only in the 60/65/60XT/65XT layout (Quefrency) since the hotswap revision of the Sinc hasn’t been released yet. Those boards can only have a 3D-printed case as a separate add-on and come caseless stock

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 13:34:19 »
Will the PCB be with or without flex cuts? My preference would be without, but just wondering because I couldn’t see if it had been mentioned

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 20:19:00 »
Will the PCB be with or without flex cuts? My preference would be without, but just wondering because I couldn’t see if it had been mentioned

Thanks for mentioning this – can't speak to the PCB just yet, but for the plate I do not plan to add flex cuts, no. I want to prioritize acoustics as much as possible, and with the updated gasket mount and plate materials IMO there should be enough flexibility (heh) to create a softer or firmer typing experience depending on your preference. :thumb: Hope that helps!

Offline Karmel98

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 10:56:26 »
Looks pretty sick! Do you ship worldwide ???  ;D ;D ;D

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 13:03:08 »
Looks pretty sick! Do you ship worldwide ???  ;D ;D ;D

Hoping to! This will largely depend on the vendors. Currently working on this. ;)

Offline just.hymn

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 02:08:42 »
GLWIC!

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | Renders + Colorways
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 February 2023, 14:33:25 »
Hi folks – FYI, OP is now updated with the latest and greatest. Quick summary:

• Discord server + IG account added
  • Connector changed from GX16 to FLEMO
  • PCB layout finalized
  • Colorways added
  • Base kit details + extras
  • Renders added (thanks @its.hymn!)
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2023, 14:40:44 by haversnail »

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 11:24:23 »
New renders added to OP!

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 March 2023, 05:53:21 »
I hope the cable will be stretchy enough to move the halves to shoulder-width without pulling on itself. The weight should help, but using coiled cables on halves kinda sucks with some lighter splits because the cable pulls the tops together, so I just use a straight cable

Would love extra PCBs and plate options (I know they’re in the extras I’m just saying I like that addition). Case is also awesome. Love traveling cases. Hope this comes to fruition

Offline FireWalker

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 March 2023, 15:37:28 »
Newbie here. I just registered to give my thoughts. I've been waiting for years for a well-built split keyboard to replace my Keebio Sinc. Having said that I have a few requests over the current iteration:-
  • Tenting options
  • A USB-c port on the left & right side of the keyboard to connect to the PC which provides the ability for the left/right side of the keyboard to operate independently. This feature is great for gaming.
  • The cable that connects between the keyboards, can you make that cable a small coiled cable, smaller coil size in comparison to the coiled cable that connects to the PC? Speaking from experience, the cable that connects between keyboards makes the setup much cleaner if its coil size is half the size of the coil cable that connects to the PC.   
  • The cable that connects the keyboards should be long enough so that the split keyboard can be set arm-width apart without a tug of war.
  • Black PBT Double-Shot Keycaps for black color keyboard. I want a black keyboard with all black keycaps.
I already have all the above requests on my current setup with Keebio Sinc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2023, 15:46:44 by FireWalker »

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 March 2023, 18:38:51 »
I hope the cable will be stretchy enough to move the halves to shoulder-width without pulling on itself. The weight should help, but using coiled cables on halves kinda sucks with some lighter splits because the cable pulls the tops together, so I just use a straight cable

Would love extra PCBs and plate options (I know they’re in the extras I’m just saying I like that addition). Case is also awesome. Love traveling cases. Hope this comes to fruition

Newbie here. I just registered to give my thoughts. I've been waiting for years for a well-built split keyboard to replace my Keebio Sinc. Having said that I have a few requests over the current iteration:-
  • Tenting options
  • A USB-c port on the left & right side of the keyboard to connect to the PC which provides the ability for the left/right side of the keyboard to operate independently. This feature is great for gaming.
  • The cable that connects between the keyboards, can you make that cable a small coiled cable, smaller coil size in comparison to the coiled cable that connects to the PC? Speaking from experience, the cable that connects between keyboards makes the setup much cleaner if its coil size is half the size of the coil cable that connects to the PC.   
  • The cable that connects the keyboards should be long enough so that the split keyboard can be set arm-width apart without a tug of war.
  • Black PBT Double-Shot Keycaps for black color keyboard. I want a black keyboard with all black keycaps.
I already have all the above requests on my current setup with Keebio Sinc.

Appreciate the feedback from you both! I can see what you guys mean about the coil challenges for the interconnect. Even though personally I'm a fan of coils, after gathering some feedback (and quotes), at the moment I am planning to include a longer non-coiled cable as part of the base kit, and exploring the option for a custom coiled cable collab (say that five times fast) as an extra. ;) My hope is that this option will give users plenty of slack to separate the two halves while offering a clean look and keeping the entry price affordable. For the coiled option though, I'll definitely keep those considerations in mind.

FireWalker, to specifically answer your questions:
  • Yes, tenting options are definitely being considered. Tbh, as an Alice user myself I had not given much consideration to tenting when I first designed the board, but it's been a recurring enough request that I'm looking into how I might add them without compromising the original design intent.
  • Yes, each half should be able to be used independently.
  • See above
  • See above
  • Love that look! There will be a black anodized option that should pair well with just about any WoB keycap set. ;D

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 18 March 2023, 01:07:57 »
What’s with the nonstandard connector for the splits, and why was it chosen over USB-C? I feel like USB-C would’ve made everything easier, but with such an interesting connector being used, I feel like there must have been some reasoning I’m missing

Offline Henry5324

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 18 March 2023, 05:07:52 »
Love it :D nothing more to say.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 15:08:49 »
What’s with the nonstandard connector for the splits, and why was it chosen over USB-C? I feel like USB-C would’ve made everything easier, but with such an interesting connector being used, I feel like there must have been some reasoning I’m missing

AESTHETICS :cool: But in all seriousness, since the board originally started as a simple hand-wired design, I wanted a connector that would mitigate the potential for shorts (have seen this complaint often with TRRS connectors), and something other than USB-C to prevent connecting the wrong port to the host. The first few iterations had a panel-mount GX-16 connector there, but after gathering feedback from folks in the community, the LEMO style seemed to be the preferred option over the aviator. Makes for more user-friendly attachment/detachment as well.

TL;DR, although USB-C is perfectly fine, I've since fallen in love with how the LEMO-esque connector looks. Hard to go back after that. ;)

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 15:10:18 »
Love it :D nothing more to say.

Thank you thank you! :D

Offline metalchipmaker

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 23:32:35 »
Clean. Would definitely buy it if the initial price is kept.

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 15:07:03 »
How easy is it to pick up with the sides going all the way to the bottom? I like the look, but just wondering

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 March 2023, 15:04:34 »
How easy is it to pick up with the sides going all the way to the bottom? I like the look, but just wondering

Personally I've been picking it up by grabbing the front and back, but tbf I have long fingers. Hopefully not any more difficult than a RAMA U-80 or similar. FWIW, I've also added a small chamfer along the bottom as well. :)

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | CNC Proto Photos
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 March 2023, 15:06:45 »
Happy Friday all! It's the end of the month, and although I am planning a more professional photo shoot, I couldn't wait any longer to share these CNC proto photos with you. ;D Apologies in advance for the phone-quality images!
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 March 2023, 21:10:18 by haversnail »

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 01 April 2023, 20:42:41 »

Personally I've been picking it up by grabbing the front and back, but tbf I have long fingers. Hopefully not any more difficult than a RAMA U-80 or similar. FWIW, I've also added a small chamfer along the bottom as well. :)

A small chamfer along the bottom is perfect! I also have long fingers, but they’re also quite large, so getting under things can be an issue. A tiny chamfer should help fix that, so I’m glad to hear

New pictures look great. Hope extra PCB and extra knobs make it as options. As well as extra options like gaskets and feet if gaskets are adhesive (eww, but necessary sometimes). Down with adhesive requirements in keyboards
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 April 2023, 10:33:46 by Xoloitzcuintli »

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 07 April 2023, 20:38:15 »
What a cool splitting!

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 09 April 2023, 22:04:29 »
Are the hotswap sockets Kailh? Any chance of using the new Gazzew x Outemu sockets? I feel like they’re a lot better than the Kailh ones, and if the PCB is designed for Kailh already, the new Outemu ones will fit without a rework

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 09:19:45 »
So many color options!

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
Re: [IC] Theseus75 | First Vendors Announced!
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 15:56:37 »
First wave of vendors have been added! Highly recommend checking out their stuff if they're in your region. If not, keep an eye out in the coming weeks for your favorite vendor to drop — and if you have one in mind, let me know in the IC form. :thumb:

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 15:59:09 »
Are the hotswap sockets Kailh? Any chance of using the new Gazzew x Outemu sockets? I feel like they’re a lot better than the Kailh ones, and if the PCB is designed for Kailh already, the new Outemu ones will fit without a rework

Huh, maybe I'm behind the curve, but I'm not sure I've seen these new sockets. If you want to drop a link to them in the Discord server I can check it out.

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 18:43:54 »
Pretty excited seeing the updates on this! Price is pretty reasonable too, though I'm not sure if that judgment means much coming from within the hobby  :)

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 19:49:35 »
Pretty excited seeing the updates on this! Price is pretty reasonable too, though I'm not sure if that judgment means much coming from within the hobby  :)

Thanks! I've definitely been trying to keep the cost as reasonable as possible – but you're right, maybe we're not the best gauge of reason  :p

Offline FireWalker

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 21 April 2023, 23:15:19 »
Happy Friday all! It's the end of the month, and although I am planning a more professional photo shoot, I couldn't wait any longer to share these CNC proto photos with you. ;D Apologies in advance for the phone-quality images!

The keyboard is coming out great. Just wanted to mention that the length of the cable from the keyboard case to the coil part of the cable is a little long for my taste. I prefer minimal. I have attached an image to show what I'm talking about. I also feel like the coil needs to be a little longer to be able to move the halves to shoulder width apart without pulling on itself.

The price is pretty reasonable for what you're trying to deliver though in the end I just hope there are no corners cut on the specification or compromises made on the build quality to keep the price down to the estimated price of 400$.

Will the keyboard come with a travel case? Also, can you add an extra cushion to the bottom, top, and center of the travel case?[Image attached] Looking forward to the keyboard. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2023, 23:36:42 by FireWalker »

Offline PandamanPete

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 04:54:04 »
This board looks killer, can't wait for GB!

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 03:55:11 »
Any particular reason 1 XT column was chosen over 2? I always find 1 to be very limiting and ultimately not useful as it can’t be used easily for back-and-forth/up-down macros like previous/next tab or volume changes. I meant to mention it earlier, but I’ve been questioning to ultimate viability of the board for me with only one column. At that point it seems you might as well go without it (although I’d strongly prefer having 2 XT columns) because any macros you only need 1 key for i can more easily place on a layer. I know it’s a late mention, but I thought I’d ask. I didn’t even realize it when I first filled out the IC form because I assumed it would have 2, which is my fault.

Offline FireWalker

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 08:49:36 »
Any particular reason 1 XT column was chosen over 2? I always find 1 to be very limiting and ultimately not useful as it can’t be used easily for back-and-forth/up-down macros like previous/next tab or volume changes. I meant to mention it earlier, but I’ve been questioning to ultimate viability of the board for me with only one column. At that point it seems you might as well go without it (although I’d strongly prefer having 2 XT columns) because any macros you only need 1 key for i can more easily place on a layer. I know it’s a late mention, but I thought I’d ask. I didn’t even realize it when I first filled out the IC form because I assumed it would have 2, which is my fault.

In the same boat. I prefer the 2 XT column over 1. My 1XT on the right keyboard of Keebio Sinc is pretty useless, I don't remember the last time I used it but the left 2XT is very useful. I use that as numpad, and layer 1 I use it as volume up and down, next and previous track, RGB up and down, etc... 3XT column would be a perfect case as I could use it as a proper numpad.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 09:35:35 »
The keyboard is coming out great. Just wanted to mention that the length of the cable from the keyboard case to the coil part of the cable is a little long for my taste. I prefer minimal. I have attached an image to show what I'm talking about. I also feel like the coil needs to be a little longer to be able to move the halves to shoulder width apart without pulling on itself.

The price is pretty reasonable for what you're trying to deliver though in the end I just hope there are no corners cut on the specification or compromises made on the build quality to keep the price down to the estimated price of 400$.

Will the keyboard come with a travel case? Also, can you add an extra cushion to the bottom, top, and center of the travel case?[Image attached] Looking forward to the keyboard. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Yeah it seems the majority of folks prefer a shorter, straight cable vs. a coiled one — I've taken that into consideration for the base kit, so even though these photos show my [amateur] attempt at a chonky coiled cable, the base kit should include a clean and simple straight cable, which should work great for most. However for those that may want a more bespoke coiled version, I'm exploring a cable collab to make that happen. ;)

And to answer your question, yes, the base kit should come with a custom travel case as well, with plenty of cushion.

Offline haversnail

• Personal Site
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 09:40:04 »

There was, yeah — I wanted to keep the board as symmetrical as possible (while keeping the more common 2.25u/2.75u spacebars ofc), so a single macro column made the most sense there. Though tbf I have been exploring options like blockers/badges for those that would rather not have any keys there, so we'll see if/how that may fit into the overall design.

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 15:32:46 »

In the same boat. I prefer the 2 XT column over 1. My 1XT on the right keyboard of Keebio Sinc is pretty useless, I don't remember the last time I used it but the left 2XT is very useful. I use that as numpad, and layer 1 I use it as volume up and down, next and previous track, RGB up and down, etc... 3XT column would be a perfect case as I could use it as a proper numpad.

Think maybe you mean the KBO-5000? Sinc has the 2 XT columns I was talking about, and is the reference I was thinking about

Offline Xoloitzcuintli

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 15:40:06 »

There was, yeah — I wanted to keep the board as symmetrical as possible (while keeping the more common 2.25u/2.75u spacebars ofc), so a single macro column made the most sense there. Though tbf I have been exploring options like blockers/badges for those that would rather not have any keys there, so we'll see if/how that may fit into the overall design.

Ahh I see. Unfortunate as this board seems really incredibly amazing, but I don’t think I could get by without 2+ XT columns, but my layout needs are really specific. I’m not sure having a blocker really solves the issue as I feel like it would make the board look even more unbalanced than 2 XT columns would. I also think the popularity of designs like the SP-111 shows people are open to more keys on the left even if it “looks uneven” (which I don’t see), although I don’t know exactly the numbers on that. I feel like if I bought this, I’d end up ignoring the XT column, which just makes the board larger than it needs to be. I feel like it also takes away from using a separate macropad/numpad on the left because it’s taking up extra space without reason.

I think the Keebio Sinc nails the 75XT layout, and larger keyboard sizes don’t actually address it unless they have a lefty numpad since the issue is having more keys on the left rather than right. Dunno if I could justify a 4-500 USD art piece. I might be able to swing it with a macropad on the left for my macros, but then the single  column would bother me. I agree with FireWalker. 2/3XT or numpad is the way to go. 1 is purely aesthetics, although that does seem to be the primary intention, so it’s working as intended! No disrespect intended, still an amazing design others haven’t ventured to take a risk on. 75XT is my favorite layout

Still want to support for the uniqueness of the project, so we’ll see
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 May 2023, 15:50:47 by Xoloitzcuintli »