Author Topic: PCLinuxOS . . . the Ubuntu killer?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
PCLinuxOS . . . the Ubuntu killer?
« on: Wed, 26 December 2007, 12:00:22 »
For those of you that keep an eye on DistroWatch, you may have noticed a "new" distro knocking Ubuntu off it's throne...PCLinuxOS.

PCLinuxOS has been around since 2003.  It was originally based on the Mandriva distribution.  Mandriva was the first distro to really focus on easy installation and a great desktop experience out-of-the-box (I remember really despising the distro when it first came out...a bastardization of my, then, beloved Red Hat).  :)

I doubt PCLOS is going to dethrone Ubuntu as MY desktop distro of choice anytime soon...but  it is nice to see some more, polished distros out there.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 February 2008, 21:21:53 »
I would like to use Ubuntu, but it keeps crashing on me.  What other Linux distributions have you tried and/or recommend?  If nothing, I guess I'll have to continue using "the nasty"
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 20:11:46 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;3185
I would like to use Ubuntu, but it keeps crashing on me.  What other Linux distributions have you tried and/or recommend?  If nothing, I guess I'll have to continue using "the nasty"

thats funny, I have had great luck with ubuntu but cannot get PCLINUXOS to even install....
if ubuntu keeps bombing out on you then try OpenSuse. I ran that for the longest time and still would be using it, but they made this deal with MS and that totally turned me off to them.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 22:31:14 »
Ubuntu can't be too hard.  I just went from a box of computer parts to a dual-headed Ubuntu workstation (with full 3d accelerated nVidia graphics) in just over an hour.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 April 2008, 23:32:38 »
I stopped playing with Ubuntu because I could NEVER get it to work with my MacBook with an external monitor. Thats why I like Mac so much, I just bought the monitor and an adapter, hooked it all up and it was screen-spanning instantly without a hitch.