geekhack Community > Keyboards

So we've had our Das III's for a while now...

(1/6) > >>

Waves77:
I know several of us here got a Das III about a month ago, but I haven't read many reactions. I thought that starting a thread could be more interesting this time than writing an individual review.

PROS:
- Above average build quality, compared to the rubber domes most manufacturers deliver with their PCs.
- USB hub. Personally I don't use it a lot (wireless mouse and one usb cable on my desk that plugs in psp/camera/mp3 player when needed is about all I need), but I could see it as being a useful feature for many.
- Blue Cherry keyswitches! Very nice switches that have a feel that's solid and firm as a model M, but way lighter and clickier as with white alps.
- I have the Das III professional, it's nice to see a different font being used on the keys, it gives it a bit more of a modern look.

CONS:
- I'm really curious if anyone here has the tried both the Scorpius M10 and this board, but the keyswitches sit very differently on the board. It has a different feel to it that's hard to describe, but I like less on the Das.
- Price. For what you get, I think one has better choices import/national or vintage wise. There was a lot of hype around this keyboard, and in my eyes they failed to deliver. It's definitely an above average quality board, but it doesn't warrant the $129 price tag IMHO.
- Odd behavior under some Linux kernels, where the board will hang and become totally unresponsive (tested on different computers). Maybe not a fault of the hardware, but very odd none the less for such a straightforward component.

Overall I think this board will end up on ebay soon ;)

davo:

--- Quote from: Waves77;7618 ---I know several of us here got a Das III about a month ago, but I haven't read many reactions.
--- End quote ---

Seriously?  I pre-ordered on June 10, and I haven't heard anything except the initial email order receipt.

(Good thing I also bought this nice Unicomp Spacesaver last month!)

ch_123:

--- Quote from: Waves77;7618 ---CONS:
- I'm really curious if anyone here has the tried both the Scorpius M10 and this board, but the keyswitches sit very differently on the board. It has a different feel to it that's hard to describe, but I like less on the Das.
- Price. For what you get, I think one has better choices import/national or vintage wise. There was a lot of hype around this keyboard, and in my eyes they failed to deliver. It's definitely an above average quality board, but it doesn't warrant the $129 price tag IMHO.
- Odd behavior under some Linux kernels, where the board will hang and become totally unresponsive (tested on different computers). Maybe not a fault of the hardware, but very odd none the less for such a straightforward component.

Overall I think this board will end up on ebay soon ;)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, I was considering getting one of these at some stage after I got my Unicomp Endurapro... I think I might save up for something else instead :)

Waves77:

--- Quote from: davo;7623 ---Seriously?  I pre-ordered on June 10, and I haven't heard anything except the initial email order receipt.

(Good thing I also bought this nice Unicomp Spacesaver last month!)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't recall when I pre-ordered, but I got mine around july 15th, so did a couple of other people around here.

Waves77:

--- Quote from: ch_123;7632 ---Interesting, I was considering getting one of these at some stage after I got my Unicomp Endurapro... I think I might save up for something else instead :)
--- End quote ---

Take it for what it's worth, just one guy's opinion, but yeah, I would not purchase this one again.

I'd rather pick up a Macally for something light and clicky. Considering $10 more got me the Filco Majestouch with brown cherries imported from Japan I consider that a way better board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version