Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 400840 times)

Offline faceyourfaces

Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #750 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 15:16:04 »
just got a shipping notice from GON for an order parts placed on april 16 (universal plate, tuned switches, stabs, nerd60 pcb). it seems he has more time now that the ctrlalt order's done!
That's bull**** seem, ordered mine in December and just only just recent had thethe order status changed to order processing

Is "Order processing" what comes after "Payment accepted?"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #751 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 17:22:10 »
just got a shipping notice from GON for an order parts placed on april 16 (universal plate, tuned switches, stabs, nerd60 pcb). it seems he has more time now that the ctrlalt order's done!
That's bull**** seem, ordered mine in December and just only just recent had thethe order status changed to order processing

It does, my order just made the jump today.

Also Hellcatz, does your order include assembly? Assembled orders take longer.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #752 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 17:59:07 »

It does, my order just made the jump today.

Also Hellcatz, does your order include assembly? Assembled orders take longer.

He did say this earlier:

The 2014 special comes with resisters and smd pre soldered. But several peeps already got theirs and to answer your question, no I did not request it to be assembled.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #753 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:05:44 »

Hi!

Could you please tell me what would be the delay before shipping for a Nerd NS 60 case at the moment?

Thanks.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #754 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:31:37 »

Hi!

Could you please tell me what would be the delay before shipping for a Nerd NS 60 case at the moment?

Thanks.
It's hard to say ... You would have to talk to Gon himself and even then it might be just a very rough estimate!
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #755 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 07:48:06 »

Hi!

Thanks.
It's hard to say ... You would have to talk to Gon himself and even then it might be just a very rough estimate!

Does the delay come from him being very busy for his manual work or is it due to the factory that makes the cases?

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #756 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:38:02 »
Is it too late to change something on my order if my order status has not even reached "Order processing"?

I think I'm going to go back to unlubed stock clears. It'll save me 50 bucks and I can always lube them myself I change my mind. Just wondering if anyone has successfully done this before, and if GON has given a refund for the difference?

Offline yobinad

« Reply #757 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 09:02:02 »
Call him on Skype or phone.

I've done it with my order

edit: i've done the opposite of what you want

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #758 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 09:05:17 »
Call him on Skype or phone.

I've done it with my order

edit: i've done the opposite of what you want

Thanks. Just wanted to check before bothering him. I've Skype called him enough times lol.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #759 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 02:29:22 »
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long it would take to receive a NerD 60 PCB, acrylic case, plus diodes, stabilizers, etc?

Already tried contacting GON; Still impossible to get ahold of, so I'm hoping someone here can help. If there's still a huge delay, I'd like to know so I can just wait until he's not swamped or something.

Also, can anyone tell me the resister value I would need for these LEDs? I'd be using those for both the side LEDs and the switch LEDs.

Oh and last question: Does anyone happen to have a photo of that acrylic case (doesn't have to be 60%, I just want to get an idea) with every layer as clear? I've looked around and can't find anything, but it would be nice to get more of an idea what I'd be getting.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #760 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 04:14:03 »

Also, can anyone tell me the resister value I would need for these LEDs? I'd be using those for both the side LEDs and the switch LEDs.

Oh and last question: Does anyone happen to have a photo of that acrylic case (doesn't have to be 60%, I just want to get an idea) with every layer as clear? I've looked around and can't find anything, but it would be nice to get more of an idea what I'd be getting.
So since it'll be for front in switch it seems it's either 2v or 3v and for purple it'll be 3v. http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/electric-parts/15-resistorssmd-100-pcs.html
It seems that the side led's are more picky about resistors.

I haven't seen any pictures of GON's acrylic case in clear but look up winkeyless boards like the B.face or something since there's lots of those in clear and that'll give you an idea of how it looks. I personally don't like it.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline ceflame

« Reply #761 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 04:37:18 »
Pretty sure it's just clear (transparent) acrylic, similar to the ergodox acrylic layers.

Here's an example (minh0's board): http://imgur.com/a/xOBLm

Top and bottom layers are clear, while the plate is white.

Offline Azumia

« Reply #762 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 10:54:07 »
So since it'll be for front in switch it seems it's either 2v or 3v and for purple it'll be 3v. http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/electric-parts/15-resistorssmd-100-pcs.html

I haven't seen any pictures of GON's acrylic case in clear but look up winkeyless boards like the B.face or something since there's lots of those in clear and that'll give you an idea of how it looks. I personally don't like it.

Thanks for the help. :3 Okay so, if purple is 3v, the value of the resisters for the side LEDs would be 133, right? And then 470 for the switch LEDs? Am I reading that correctly?

Pretty sure it's just clear (transparent) acrylic, similar to the ergodox acrylic layers.

Thanks for that link; That keyboard looks amazing. I really like the clear layers. Although looking at that, I'm really considering getting a white plate as well instead of every layer being clear, but I can't decide. Maybe semi-clear. This is a hard decision.

Now hopefully someone can answer my question about the wait time for unassembled parts. I looked back through the last few pages of the thread, and it seems like some people got things quickly and others have been waiting a long time.
Looking for Granite Mono Legends and Icon Modifiers~ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73646.0

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #763 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:21:23 »

Thanks for the help. :3 Okay so, if purple is 3v, the value of the resisters for the side LEDs would be 133, right? And then 470 for the switch LEDs? Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks for that link; That keyboard looks amazing. I really like the clear layers. Although looking at that, I'm really considering getting a white plate as well instead of every layer being clear, but I can't decide. Maybe semi-clear. This is a hard decision.

Now hopefully someone can answer my question about the wait time for unassembled parts. I looked back through the last few pages of the thread, and it seems like some people got things quickly and others have been waiting a long time.

Have you found the answer regarding the wait time for unassembled parts? I'm really interested as well. ^^

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #764 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:32:49 »

Have you found the answer regarding the wait time for unassembled parts? I'm really interested as well. ^^
my friend spoke to him the other night and he said wait times should be reduced by quite a bit now (he was asking him about assembled boards but i assume this goes for all/most orders)as he said he was almost caught up but I assume Ngt that he would be unable to give you anything other than a rough estimate unless he had all the parts you need on hand and even then you would have to speak to gon.
 From my experience though its really a roll of the dice I hope this helps and does not frustrate  :eek: to get to the crux of the matter I think the wait time should be generally reduced over all but as always YMMV have you tried  to contact him through Skype? Your in France and I do not know the time difference but for US ET it seems 11:30pm-12 is a good time to try.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:38:46 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #765 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:34:17 »
Called GON the other day about my order, he is waiting on the acrylic case manufacturer. My guess is his delays are again due to manufacturer. My order is unassembled, since I ordered DTA PCB.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #766 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 08:52:18 »

my friend spoke to him the other night and he said wait times should be reduced by quite a bit now (he was asking him about assembled boards but i assume this goes for all/most orders)as he said he was almost caught up but I assume Ngt that he would be unable to give you anything other than a rough estimate unless he had all the parts you need on hand and even then you would have to speak to gon.
 From my experience though its really a roll of the dice I hope this helps and does not frustrate  :o to get to the crux of the matter I think the wait time should be generally reduced over all but as always YMMV have you tried  to contact him through Skype? Your in France and I do not know the time difference but for US ET it seems 11:30pm-12 is a good time to try.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just have to jump and take the risk. I added him on skype and sent him a message but it has not accepted me yet. I guess he's just too busy atm.

Called GON the other day about my order, he is waiting on the acrylic case manufacturer. My guess is his delays are again due to manufacturer. My order is unassembled, since I ordered DTA PCB.

Ok, I hope he has some cases in stock as it would be for ordering a Nerd NS 60 (HHKB or normal, don't know yet) in grey hard anodized. 

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #767 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:57:24 »
I bought the GON60 PCB about two weeks ago now, payment was taken and it was changed to "Preperation in Progess" I haven't heard anything since (Dropped him two emails). Does anyone know anything? Or the best way of contacting him? Skype?

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #768 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 15:58:49 »
I bought the GON60 PCB about two weeks ago now, payment was taken and it was changed to "Preperation in Progess" I haven't heard anything since (Dropped him two emails). Does anyone know anything? Or the best way of contacting him? Skype?

It seems that's the way to go! But I read that he might have trouble with his manufacturer. Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure the info is right or not.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #769 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:04:32 »

It seems that's the way to go! But I read that he might have trouble with his manufacturer. Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure the info is right or not.

Just dropped him a message on Skype! Hopefully he gets back to me soon! Cant wait to finish building this 60% board!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #770 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 16:32:32 »
I bought the GON60 PCB about two weeks ago now, payment wa taken and it was changed to "Preperation in Progess" I haven't heard anything since (Dropped him two emails). Does anyone know anything? Or the best way of contacting him? Skype?

Just dropped him a message on Skype! Hopefully he gets back to me soon! Cant wait to finish building this 60% board!

I'll receive my PCB next week but I don't have a case to put it in yet ... Hope I could get a Nerd NS 60 housing without waiting months. :)

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #771 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 02:46:50 »

From what I've heard he doesn't reply to skype messages but answers calls on skype. My order is also at the "preparation in progress" stage... no idea how long that's gonna take though, last time i was in touch with him he expected to ship it out right around easter... but apparently it still hasn't been shipped

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #772 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:24:29 »

From what I've heard he doesn't reply to skype messages but answers calls on skype. My order is also at the "preparation in progress" stage... no idea how long that's gonna take though, last time i was in touch with him he expected to ship it out right around easter... but apparently it still hasn't been shipped

Just talked to GON on skype. The best way of contacting him is by calling his Skype!

We had a quick chat and everything is resolved, he is posting it out later this week or next week as he has got a lot of orders on his plate. He also said that my order would be going out with many other orders!

He had a pre soldered version of the board there, so I upgraded to this instead of having to solder it all together myself..!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #773 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:59:44 »
hey, i was at the shop trying to buy a stab wire for my spacebar, and noticed the 23.20 shipping price to Portugal O.o is shipping really that expensive for a stab wire? :/

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #774 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:17:10 »
hey, i was at the shop trying to buy a stab wire for my spacebar, and noticed the 23.20 shipping price to Portugal O.o is shipping really that expensive for a stab wire? :/

I think he uses express mail with tracking (EMS) for everything so it likely has a high minimum cost. try contacting him to see if he can ship using non-tracked methods.

or just get a stab wire from another source?

Offline lolpes

« Reply #775 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:19:40 »

I think he uses express mail with tracking (EMS) for everything so it likely has a high minimum cost. try contacting him to see if he can ship using non-tracked methods.

other sources? the shipping costs kills it to me, the cheapest i can get is from imsto and i have to buy a full set for 10$+10$ shipping.

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #776 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:34:05 »

other sources? the shipping costs kills it to me, the cheapest i can get is from imsto and i have to buy a full set for 10$+10$ shipping.

this is the unfortunate circumstance of not living in the states. i'm in canada and i usually have to pay at least 8 dollars shipping even for a single keycap from Elitekeyboards. i feel your pain. i don't know any other sources outside of imsto/GON though. maybe find a cheap board and harvest it from there?

Offline lolpes

« Reply #777 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:36:32 »
I have 2 boards, but the stab does not fit, because of the problem I described before, I'll try making one, but I think it's unlikely I'll succeed :/ or ill have to settle for paying 20$ for it witch I really don't want

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #778 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:46:25 »
I have 2 boards, but the stab does not fit, because of the problem I described before, I'll try making one, but I think it's unlikely I'll succeed :/ or ill have to settle for paying 20$ for it witch I really don't want

i 100% feel your pain, my friend. we should start a "non-us shipping rate" support group.

the way i justify it is by not going out to eat for two weeks or so. it balances out that way.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #779 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 17:05:18 »

See if you don't need stuff like lube, led etc. so you can group the order and don't pay only the shipping fee for the stab.

Offline limster

« Reply #780 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 20:30:23 »
I'm thinking about adding switch LEDs to my order, can anyone tell me what the effect options are for the switch lights?

I saw the GUI video, and I only saw 'breathing' and brightness in the drop down. What are the other modes?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #781 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:04:35 »
I'm thinking about adding switch LEDs to my order, can anyone tell me what the effect options are for the switch lights?

I saw the GUI video, and I only saw 'breathing' and brightness in the drop down. What are the other modes?
Breathing, on/off at any brightness, get brighter as you continue to type and dims when you stop, gets dimmer/off as you type and gets brighter when you stop, have it assigned to a lock status like cap, scroll, and num lock.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline limster

« Reply #782 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:26:10 »

Breathing, on/off at any brightness, get brighter as you continue to type and dims when you stop, gets dimmer/off as you type and gets brighter when you stop, have it assigned to a lock status like cap, scroll, and num lock.

Sounds pretty cool. Thanks Evo!

Offline ZippCen

« Reply #783 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 06:54:06 »
I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm looking to get a keyboard from Gon. My current board is stock cherry mx browns they feel a little too light for me.

I'm stuck trying to decide between Browns and Clears and I'm totally lost on which springs to pick.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
 - ZippCen

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #784 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:09:24 »

I'm looking to get a keyboard from Gon. My current board is stock cherry mx browns they feel a little too light for me.

I'm stuck trying to decide between Browns and Clears and I'm totally lost on which springs to pick.

Thanks
 - ZippCen
if you like cherry browns but want something a bit heavier go for 62g ergo clears. You could go 58g but I have heard they can sometimes get caught on the increased bump of the clears. I like 62,65 and 67g clears but your mileage may vary . I believe gon offers a number of spring options in the ergo clear range!

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #785 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:15:32 »

Thanks
 - ZippCen

like Sed8op8 said, gon has ergo clear option. I wish he offered the heavier end of the ergo spectrum (62g, 65g, 67g) rather than (55g, 58g, 62g) though. 62g is basically a bit heavier than brown but with the good tactile bump.

stock clears are also quite nice, I use them on my work board and portable board.

Offline ZippCen

« Reply #786 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:03:46 »
Thanks Both,

If I got stronger springs on the browns (55g are stock?) would this have the effect of reducing bottoming out but leave the same tactile bump I'm used to?

Thanks

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #787 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 12:19:04 »
I'm sure it would help a little bit but I'm thinking the increased force of the spring might reduce the feel (tactility is that a word?) of the bump in the browns. I might be wrong... Can someone else answer that ?

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #788 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:04:00 »
I'm sure it would help a little bit but I'm thinking the increased force of the spring might reduce the feel (tactility is that a word?) of the bump in the browns. I might be wrong... Can someone else answer that ?

"tactility" is not a word in French but it is on GH AFAIK.  :p

The tactility of Clear > tactility of brown. The stem is not the same IIRC. They have a difference in terms of tactility which does not come only from the lower spring strength.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #789 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 16:54:19 »
Thanks Both,

If I got stronger springs on the browns (55g are stock?) would this have the effect of reducing bottoming out but leave the same tactile bump I'm used to?

Thanks

Adding a heavier spring will decrease the tactility of a switch.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #790 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:08:34 »
Thanks Both,

Thanks

Adding a heavier spring will decrease the tactility of a switch.
thanks Joey thats what I figured :thumb:

Offline Azumia

« Reply #791 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 19:47:36 »
Called GON the other day about my order, he is waiting on the acrylic case manufacturer.

This is very disappointing news. :<

I was hoping for a short wait this time since I only ordered parts. Didn't he have trouble with the acrylic case manufacturer in the past as well?

Offline ttzhou

« Reply #792 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 20:48:58 »
I was hoping for a short wait this time since I only ordered parts. Didn't he have trouble with the acrylic case manufacturer in the past as well?

I think that aluminum that time.

I dunno. It sucks waiting for it though. I even have the BSP Olivetti keycaps waiting for it.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #793 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:07:20 »

Thanks
 - ZippCen

like Sed8op8 said, gon has ergo clear option. I wish he offered the heavier end of the ergo spectrum (62g, 65g, 67g) rather than (55g, 58g, 62g) though. 62g is basically a bit heavier than brown but with the good tactile bump.

stock clears are also quite nice, I use them on my work board and portable board.

Back when I ordered, 67g was an option (that I selected). I wonder if that means I'll never get my board.

Offline cphead

« Reply #794 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 01:30:57 »
People who successfully contacted him on skype, when are you calling? I've tried to call in the afternoon Korean time several times and never get any answer. My order is 8 months old tomorrow. Last we spoke 7 months ago he told me everything was ready except for the parts from the manufacturer delay. Can a manufacturer really delay for 7 months -_-

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #795 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 17:29:42 »
People who successfully contacted him on skype, when are you calling? I've tried to call in the afternoon Korean time several times and never get any answer. My order is 8 months old tomorrow. Last we spoke 7 months ago he told me everything was ready except for the parts from the manufacturer delay. Can a manufacturer really delay for 7 months -_-

Did you buy a prebuilt board? My order turns 7 months old tomorrow and I haven't been able to get him to answer on Skype for about 3 months now. It's definitely not the manufacturer.

Offline cphead

« Reply #796 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 17:37:14 »

Did you buy a prebuilt board? My order turns 7 months old tomorrow and I haven't been able to get him to answer on Skype for about 3 months now. It's definitely not the manufacturer.
It's an assembled kmac plate and PCB with tuned switches. He told me the switches were done and waiting for plate or PCB from manufacturer 7 months ago and haven't heard from him since. I don't know what he's doing if it's not the manufacturer...it's ridiculous how hard it is to reach him, he should be giving me an update, I shouldn't have to hound him on Skype. For all I know he's ignoring my order and doing other things first.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #797 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 18:03:11 »

It's an assembled kmac plate and PCB with tuned switches. He told me the switches were done and waiting for plate or PCB from manufacturer 7 months ago and haven't heard from him since. I don't know what he's doing if it's not the manufacturer...it's ridiculous how hard it is to reach him, he should be giving me an update, I shouldn't have to hound him on Skype. For all I know he's ignoring my order and doing other things first.

I normally hear back from GON a few days after messaging him on skype. I typically contact him at around 8pm CST.

Offline lookitdisnub

« Reply #798 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:07:56 »

I last spoke to him 3 weeks ago but haven't been able to get ahold of him since. My order is about 6 months old, so I guess we're in the same boat.

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #799 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:55:44 »
Removed
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:58:27 by faceyourfaces »