Author Topic: Wood MOQ keycaps  (Read 66234 times)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Wood MOQ keycaps
« on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:10:25 »
PLEASE USE THE INFORMATION BELOW:

Here is the pricing that is currently available from KSM. Please read the hyphen (-) notes below for additional price considerations to the matrix shown. The wood types available and the costs of each key individually and as a set are listed below. The keys as quoted come with an engraved legend, see photos for style. Keys can come with no legend, and/or be engraved by WASD Keyboards as an option. The keys are for Cherry MX switches. The wood keycaps have a lacquer coating.

-There may be a small price adjustment to reduce the cost, but that can't happen until the entire order is ready to go and KSM will decide how much (if any).
-There are delivery charges that are not calculated. They will be divided evenly 'per key' for the entire order. The larger the order, the less per key.
-The keys will come to California and be distributed from California to the final destination. Shipping charges will apply.
-Keys are available without legends, and there may be a reduction in price. This will depend on the order placed. A reduced price is not guaranteed at this time.
-Keys ordered without legends, to be engraved by WASD Keyboards will have a separate charge for the custom engraving by WASD Keyboards.
-KSM will need about 3-4 weeks to manufacture. Shipping time from Taiwan. Distribution time. Perhaps 5-6 weeks to get product from group order date.

FIRST COLUMN - Price per individual key.
SECOND COLUMN - Price per key for an entire keyboard set
THIRD COLUMN - Price per individual key. The "Stylish key top" are little figurine type tops made of wood, you can see these on their website.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26121[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26122[/ATTACH]

[/HR]
[/HR]BEGINNING POST:
Saw this company posted on deskthority, and contacted them about obtaining wood keycaps only, not an entire keyboard.

http://www.kunshiman.com.tw/p.asp?l=3&id=34

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19870[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19871[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19872[/ATTACH]

When I follow up with some pricing info, I'll post it here. I may buy 8 home row keycaps as samples to see how they are first.

This is their response:

I'm glad you enjoy our keyboard.

We surely can just sell the keycaps you mentioned,

you can just offer your design , we will make them for you.

but we have MOQ for sets of keycaps,
and we also need to know what kind of wood you choose to use.

could you provide the photo of  the set of keycaps for us first?

We can replicate them in wood, but we will charge you service fee and delivery fee.

thanks in advance~

--
Best Regard.

陳柏邑
KENT CHEN
Sales Department

KUNSHIMAN PRECISION TEC CO., LTD

F308, NO.12, 2ND RD., SOUTHERN TAIWAN SCIENCE PARK, TAINAN CITY, TAIWAN 74147 R.O.C

TEL:     +886+6+5056433
Mobile:+886+975215270
FAX:     +886+6+5056408

Your products are absolutely beautiful.

I want to know if it is possible to purchase any of the following:
-non legended keycaps
-keycaps of different styles

I have several keyboard projects, and I would love the opportunity to possibly purchase some keycaps if that is possible. This is a link to a website with my progress:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8110

I am mostly working on a Kinesis Contour keyboard. It uses about 12 different keycap profiles. Would it be possible for me to send you a set of keycaps and have you replicate them in wood?

Thank you,
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:18:38 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:29:24 »
That looks interesting.  Hope they put on some sort of termites treatment on those keycaps. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 14:35:31 »
They have a redwood option, which termites don't care for.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:42:23 »
Im very interested, been playing with the thought of emailing them myself...ill follow this thread closely :)
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 15:49:16 »
wow... interested too
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 16:05:08 »
My ongoing emails with them contain more than just the questions as listed below, This is just a summarization.

So far I'm asking:

1- a per MOQ keycap price with and w/o legends
2- a per MOQ keycap "set" price with and w/o legends
3- a Kinesis Contour keycap set price with and w/o legends
4- High-Low price estimate for different woods, if that's a factor
5- to have "spherical" keycaps made, is there a price difference from the "cylindrical"?
6- Can you confirm that your keyboard layout is exactly the same as a g80-3000? If so, please provide a price for a redwood keycap set.
7- Pricing for an 87 Tenkeyless.
8- Are there specific order minimums/requirements? If so, are you willing to work with one person to facilitate getting small, partial orders distributed to others?

I want to check the actual keys out before making any bigger decision.

I may opt to just get the 8 home row and 6 or 12 F-keys...those would all be the MOQ Cherry keycap they already make. It may not make sense for me to have the Kinesis Contour keycap set made. I sure love beautiful wood though :)

Please add any questions here in this thread over next couple days and I'll send a nice list to them at the end of the weekend.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:50:07 by input nirvana »

Offline calavera

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:14:44 »
Awaiting pricing response, this has me intrigued. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:23:59 »
I believe the keycaps are cylindrical. I'll add to the question list cost of spherical keycaps with and w/o legends.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:03:49 by input nirvana »

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:27:09 »
These are cnc'd wooden keycaps with a plastic Cherry switch mount inserted in the back, the mount itself looks a little short/shallow at exactly 4mm, but does the job. Considering a keyboard from these guys costs $$$$, the keycaps should definitely be elite...pricewise:) And, no I don't have plans to bring this stuff in as of yet, though I've considered it.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 17:42:59 »
I assume the price will be silly high, but I think justifiably so. You get what you pay for... maybe wood escape keys :)

Offline guilleguillaume

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:17:00 »
I'm interested in these Wood keycaps too.

Now I only have to find a way to make a custom wood case for one of my keyboards like the one from Nanu:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6557
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:26:10 by guilleguillaume »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 18:48:06 »
I'm interested.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:11:28 »
I went back up to POST #6 and made the list of questions in RED BOLD. If anymore questions come up, ask them in this thread, and I will add it to the list in post #6 before I send another email this weekend.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 June 2011, 19:18:02 by input nirvana »

Offline dreamingftw

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 20:12:46 »
I too am interested in a key, which is all I could probably afford.

Offline Chobopants

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 21:54:53 »
Quote from: dreamingftw;370332
I too am interested in a key, which is all I could probably afford.

I am interested in keys with legends. I'd consider without if that's the only option. An entire 87 tenkeyless set would be nice.

If the price is ridiculous I would definitely consider something like just an ESC key or the Function row as well.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:22:20 »
Quote from: input nirvana;370135
They have a redwood option, which termites don't care for.

I would definitely go with the red sandalwood, a.k.a. Zitan!

With some polish (no lacquer needed) and some time it would look like black plastic, because there are no visible grains in this wood and it oxidases to black.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 00:04:55 by Multiple »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 June 2011, 23:49:17 »
Totally interested.

Offline peda

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 01:24:11 »
i am interested in those as well and i hope that the price is not ridiculous high... but unfortunately i think my hopes will be not fullfilt?!

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 02:47:53 »
please ask them what one of their regular premade keysets would cost. Their layout looks exactly like g80-3000 layout, so all I would need is one set of their "regular caps. I already have my wooden case, ill need matching redwood caps for it (my case is european cherry)

Offline negidaku

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:20:26 »
What are "wood minimum order quantity keycaps"?

Offline Atenacius

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:30:30 »
I would definitely be interested in a wooden ESC key for my Noppoo Choc Mini, it'll match the font color. Full sets are definitely going to be too much for me to justify.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline JAMM0N

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:41:32 »
these would cost a lot. the cutting the polishing. it'll be nice but very costly. engraved also would be the sexxx
Computer: Filco Linear Cherry MX RED XBOX: HHKB Pro
Incoming: KBC Poker BROWN

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 June 2011, 13:46:30 »
It's about midnight in Taiwan right now, but I'm sending the preliminary list of questions (see POST #6) in a different format in 4 or 5 hours so they have them in the morning. I'll add any specific questions I get before then. I'll clarify their inevitable questions that our questions will create. They have been very responsive.

I've sent them info for the manufacture of Kinesis Contour keycaps and am awaiting a quote along with a few other items. Hopefully will have a lot of info tomorrow, and the details a day or so after that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2011, 14:07:45 by input nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 12:53:06 »
UPDATE:

I've gotten some general information today, (sorry, not the easy details of how much an individual key will cost).

-They have only sold entire keyboards up to this point.
-They are open to selling keys only.
-Some time is needed to rethink their ideas/expectations/pricing model, etc.
-Preliminary pricing for some of the things requested can be available in about a week.
-At this point, different woods have a different price. I feel that may change if we are talking about small quantities.

Anyone that wants to, PM me with EXACTLY what you would possibly want. I suggest you look at their website and keep it limited to their offerings as much as possible. But if you have other ideas, understand the pricing will take a while. I will sift and coordinate so that I don't bombard them with too much info, they are not set up for that at all. I can get run the items through my existing business that imports from material from about 6 miles away from them, so it's not a problem, it's just another piece of paper for me.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 July 2011, 13:36:18 »
Awesome, can't wait to hear more.  I'm sure they'll be super pricey if they're selling the board for ~2k, but you never know.  Like someone said... if it's crazy, maybe we can just order a bunch of one top-row key.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:08:00 »
UPDATE:

EDITED PRICING AS BELOW---FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION--

Still sorting through information. As a guideline, an individual keycap is about $7 (teak) to $17 (redwood) before shipping, with the other woods in between those 2 prices. I have been obviously mostly trying to get the individual keycap prices (the title of this thread). If a set of keycaps is purchased, there is a price of about $6.50 (teak) to $15.50 (redwood) per keycap (times the total number of keycaps in the set...ie. #104).

This is definitely a good candidate for a group buy, but not restricted to that by any means.

I will be posting more information as I clarify and confirm.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:17:36 by input nirvana »

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:18:26 »
Quote from: ripster;378180
Redwood is splintery.  I like Cherry myself.

Cherry MX.

Cherry - Cherry MX.  Get it?

Oh nvm.

You're on a roll, don't stop now.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:29:28 »
Thanks for finding more ways for me to spend my money  :mmph:
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:36:37 »
You're complaining to MEEE?? I've spent more on keyboards in 2 years than on my first car!

I'll get a keycap asap so I can take detailed close-up 360 degree photos. That will have to do until Ripster gets his keys and the legos wear them as hats.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 July 2011, 11:38:52 by input nirvana »

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 12:28:45 »
Quote from: ripster;378180
I'm interested in an ESC key to add to my collection.

Redwood is splintery.  I like Cherry myself.

Cherry MX.

Cherry - Cherry MX.  Get it?

Oh nvm.

Something does not add up here, Pterocarpus Santalinus is commonly known as Red or Purple Sandalwood (they write the wood title as Red Sandalwood), but they write the given latin name of the wood as Pterocarpus Papilionaceae (I do not know it). On the other hand Red/Purple Sandalwood (zitan) can be referring to four different species, three of them found in Brazil, the fourth found in India (the original source of zitan). None in Indonesia / Philippines.

It could turn out to be a problem with customs if the wood is CITES listed, so I think it is necessary to ask exactly what logs they are working on (hoping it really any of the zitan species, cause it is the most awesome wood).

Here's a detail from an old zitan chair I'm planning to restore:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20386[/ATTACH]

But, what does "redwood" usually refer too?

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 12:54:52 »
I'm a step or two away from wood verification. They haven't done this before (individual keycaps) so we are going over machining specs, costing and control, then wood type and costing. I'll address this issue in the next couple emaiis so the framework will be set up.

They are open to exploring, to a point. I'm sure this is mostly a marketing/exposure endeavor for them.

That chair looks spectacular. Full pics?

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:12:04 »
Quote from: ripster;378239
Show Image

Better than him looking down his pants.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:26:01 »
Quote from: ripster;378249
Whatever happened to Woody?
Whatever happened to Whiskey in the Jar-o, Mikecase00, and SigonLegacy??  

(looks like all of them posted as recent as last year)

Offline Multiple

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 13:35:33 »
Lil' late to snap pictures but here's some earlier shots

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20392[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20393[/ATTACH]

Pretty comfy to sit in.

woody

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 14:19:01 »
Quote from: ripster;378249
Whatever happened to Woody?
Wha? I'm here, just bit busier than usually, but still some quick post here or there.

You seem to have missed my recent posts of infinite wisdom. That makes me a sad wannabe troll.
Damn ping whiners, they injected lots of sustained noise recently.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:27:23 »
Some keycap photos I've just received.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20417[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20427[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20426[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20425[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20424[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20423[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20422[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20421[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20420[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20419[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20418[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20428[/ATTACH]

Note the one keycap underside showing the Cherry insert.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:33:11 »
Some of those looks pretty cool.  Maybe we should do a limited edition wooden Geekhack key cap.

Edit:  Also your sig is very distracting..   but in a good way. lol =D
Din Eli

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 23:36:16 »
Sig photo is temporary. I'm applying pressure to Ripster. I think he's almost ready to crack. Or, it has zero effect. Dunno.

You probably shouldn't have me to run your presidential campaign.

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 01:52:18 »
edit: after your sneaky edit of the price per cap for an entire board there is no way im in for this, that is a ridiculous price.
Might still be in for 1 or two individual caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 06:18:48 by Ascaii »

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:26:11 »
Quote from: input nirvana;378177
Still sorting through information. As a guideline, an individual keycap is about $7 (teak) to $17 (redwood) before shipping, with the other woods in between those 2 prices. I have been obviously mostly trying to get the individual keycap prices (the title of this thread). If a set of keycaps is purchased, there is a price of about $6.50 (teak) to $15.50 (redwood) per keycap (times the total number of keycaps in the set...ie. #104).

What about prices if they do more than one set? Will costs reduce significantly?

$676 per keyboard is too much!

If pricing would be similar to SP, I would cancel all efforts in the direction of Round 4!

Quote from: Ascaii;378637
Can you please ask them if they can manufacture a set of g80-3000 (basically same as their keyboard uses) layout ISO-DE caps? The prices you mentioned are definitely in the realm of the possible, and those samples you got are incredible.

They can manufactuer any key caps for any keyboard ever.

That's the advantage of wood over plastic!

However, they are expensive in comparision to plastic when it comes to mass-production.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2011, 02:30:05 by 7bit »
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 06:19:57 »
before the edit the prices were actually affordable...how come the drastic increase from what you originally posted?

Offline fortran

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 09:22:13 »
they don't sell many keyboards - at 800 / board, no  wonder

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:20:35 »
Quote from: Ascaii;378684
before the edit the prices were actually affordable...how come the drastic increase from what you originally posted?

I mis-read the price break as the actual pricing, when it in fact was the discount from the "per piece" price. My mistake, very sorry for that :(

Keep in mind, these are the exact and initial prices they have sent to me so far, and there may be some changes. Still investigating to see what all available options are.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:39:58 »
Well, I'm certainly in for a few caps.  Perhaps some arrow keys?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 10:52:42 »
Can they make a Leopold/Achiss space bar?

Offline Wibox

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 11:11:24 »
I'm interested but not for $600 a keyboard ...
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 11:16:34 »
One very cool thing is that they say they can and will make anything. So that option sounds great. For whatever they CNC, they need to have a physical sample to work with. The quality appears premium, and I must touch and taste at least one keycap (even if it is damaged/defective) to be absolutely certain.

There is a fair amount of massaging that needs to occur, they are a volume-based manufacturer, and this concept is somewhat new to them, and their business model wasn't designed to make singles. There needs to be a middle-man that can make a very sizable purchase. More than a couple dozen keycaps.

I'm working on this every day.

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 12:13:01 »
if we can get the purchase price down to something a little more palatable I would be in for a full set...ill keep my eyes on this thread for any further updates.

Offline Waterdr1nker

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 13:52:23 »
I seriously want a wooden escape key. Doesn't even have to be engraved; I'm fine with blank!
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline mikeruth

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 16:48:48 »
I would like to have 1 (maybe 2) ESC key.
Mike R.

Offline Ekaros

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:00:15 »
I always wanted Ebony key... ;D
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline runeazn

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 19:36:47 »
Quote from: Ekaros;379093
I always wanted Ebony key... ;D
oh you naughty boy :P
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:03:56 »
Yes, blank is fine with me too if that's easier/cheaper.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:56:55 »
At this stage, the price is the same whether there is a legend or not. There are several steps to go, so nothing is settled or completely decided upon. I am working on getting more quantity to purchase, which is crucial.

I have the thought of making the Kinesis Contoured switch plate out of metal, and use wood keycaps on the Cherry switches, and no case, similar to this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20588[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20589[/ATTACH]

With an ultimate pimp-board such as this, I'm hoping to grease the wheels a bit with the participants and maybe get the pricing adjusted.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 00:19:38 »
I'm interested in the caps, but also in the inserts...
Any chance they will sell some inserts separately? :3

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 02:08:24 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;379325
I'm interested in the caps, but also in the inserts...
Any chance they will sell some inserts separately? :3

Good question, I hadn't gone there yet. I'll throw that in the hat asap :)

Offline Son of Gnome

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 23:38:34 »
id like an esc key for my growing collection of them i hope to fill up my entire f row with them ^^

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 02:13:01 »
I'm online with the manufacturer right now.
Curious: Are you looking for keycaps with legends, or without legends?

Offline jat4

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 08:55:02 »
I would be interested in arrow keys that look like the Page Up key in the photos you uploaded.  What wood is it, and how much would the set cost?

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:05:23 »
hey input nirvana,

tks for this. Could you please update your first post with prices and stuff ? If you dont mind...

I'm interested but its not clear right now how much will it costs and what is available !:)
RF-87UW

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:06:36 »
In for at least 1 Esc key and personally, I prefer them with legends.  Also the darker the color of the wood used the better.
Din Eli

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 17:22:45 »
What was the estimated price for keys? I'd like the 4 arrow keys for my leopold if the price isn't too bad. Or one esc key if it's on the pricier side. And I agree with reaper, dark wood perfered.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hate

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:14:42 »
i would be up for one redwood and teak esc, should look classy
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:27:24 by hate »
cherry black | topre | 빈 수레가 요란하다

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:51:34 »
I'd prefer darker over light.  But not some ebony wood that looks black.  You need to be able to tell it's wood.  Like perhaps a nice walnut equivalent.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 20:00:32 »
Look at their website for the 8 woods they "easily" offer. Keep in mind, woods vary in color and pitch. As a side note, wood can be stained or pigmented-laquer coated.

I'll post the estimated pricing on the very first post, as someone suggested recently. We're still talking about the best way they can supply keycaps that is efficient/cost effective and still be flexible so people get exactly what they want.

There may be a vendor forum set up here as well.

Offline fortran

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 20:21:31 »
ebony?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:28:13 »
Quote from: Son of Gnome;380043
id like an esc key for my growing collection of them i hope to fill up my entire f row with them ^^

that is what i am doing with my keycaps
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RiGS

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:34:38 »
Is it possible to get wooden topre keycaps?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:45:44 »
Yes, they can make almost anything. Nothing is "off the shelf". Please keep in mind, we (keyboard geeks) are helping create this business model for the manufacturer and industry. No one makes these, especially at this level. Look what it took for Clack Factory. I am posting on a couple different forums to generate more interest (there is no lack of that!) and see exactly what people want. Then to combine, make changes, price and pull the trigger. The manufacturer is monitoring this thread as well.

Offline Son of Gnome

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:58:46 »
im looking for an esc key with something sweet on it not just esc and hopefully if it isnt like to expensive i could get a set of arrows keys.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 01:24:29 »
We have just made some great headway towards being able to place orders for the wood keycaps. I have emailed iMav on some of the initial info for his approval/guidance/input, and will make a complete post in this thread for the process, options, costs, time. etc.

About a week or so we can have some hard points so everyone can begin making decisions.

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 08:27:26 »
Awesome.
RF-87UW

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:30:33 »
There is a chance this group buy may be a one-shot. Their minimum order is fairly expensive. They are not set up at this point to do individual keys. I will make a spreadsheet to post on the first thread a matrix of the woods, key sizes, prices, etc that are available without going custom. Hopefully I'll do this in a week or two. I'll get more pictures and sound samples of the keys being depressed, maybe a video as well.

Are there any other forums this can be posted/linked on? I want to include people that don't post here very often, include others to get the order higher and spread out the shipping cost, get the manufacturer more exposure (the happier they are the better), and promote the hobby in general. If I can post in a couple more places and get more interest, it will be that much easier to make special requests (like custom keys).
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:32:36 by input nirvana »

Offline Waterdr1nker

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:32:48 »
Post on Deskthority and OCN, and see if they're interested.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:37:01 »
2-3? Skimpy. I guess that's confirmation that geekhack is the Number One Keyboard Forum On The Planet.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:08:51 »
Quote from: ripster;382710
I deleted my snarky "Well, that will add about 2-3 comment" in case anybody is wondering about the lack of continuity here.  I'm trying to be more like Switzerland.

You are riddled with holes? :)

I did on deskthority. I'll try a post/link on OCN and HardForum. It's for the cause.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:11:27 by input nirvana »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:17:09 »
$2500 for 104 keys?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:31:35 »
No.

They have a minimum order, as almost every manufacturer does. They don't do retail sales. I'll be posting a selection/pricing matrix in a week or two. Keys are about $7-$18 per key, depending on wood.

Offline zirrow

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 18:23:54 »
definitely interested in a key or five, depending on pricing.  I like the idea of the arrow cluster and the escape key.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 00:19:21 »
Definitely in as well for at least an ESC, and possibly more.  Thanks for doing all this leg work, input nirvana.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 01:16:35 »
Quote from: input nirvana;382733
No.

They have a minimum order, as almost every manufacturer does. They don't do retail sales. I'll be posting a selection/pricing matrix in a week or two. Keys are about $7-$18 per key, depending on wood.

A ~$45 set of arrow keys and a $14 escape key.  I'd be all over that and I'm sure some others would.  It's freaking wood! :)  If you can't get enough, perhaps I'll buy a lot and sell the crap out of them on ebay or something. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 01:32:06 »
I made a decision that I am going to over purchase in the event this is a one time deal. Really want to make sure this happens. The more quantity, the easier to pull off. So I figured there are quite a few people I know that would like wooden keys as gifts. lol

The manufacturer has linked Geekhack on their website, how cool is that???

I really want a Kinesis Advantage with wood keys!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 11:34:35 »
Quote from: aggiejy;385162
A ~$45 set of arrow keys and a $14 escape key.  I'd be all over that and I'm sure some others would.

Yup, that sounds pretty reasonable.  I'd be in also if it's around that price range.
Din Eli

Offline Asp

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:37:05 »
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but how much more would a wood spacebar cost?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 20:04:32 »
Quote from: Asp;385543
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but how much more would a wood spacebar cost?

Spacebars would probably be tricky since there are different fitting locations between some.  (Filco vs Leopold/Steelseries, etc)  But otherwise, the would be cool.  I just want to hear the sound these things make bottoming out. :)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 11:41:48 »
I would be in for some arrow keys & esc key also or maybe my whole row of numeric keys/F1-12 ;o

Tempted to buy more since this opportunity won't come often
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:06:15 »
The most important aspect is the exact info to display on an order spreadsheet very soon. Woods, prices, key sizes, etc. I'm waiting until I have the most accurate info before posting on OCN and HardForum. Geekhack is the cornerstone of this group buy. Then we can pick an ordering period (6-8 weeks?) after as many people as possible have seen and considered, then we could place the order. At this time, it's wise to consider this a one-time opportunity, but nothing is ever static, everything is negotiable.

Offline digitalleftovers

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 19:40:01 »
Do they do purpleheart wood (Peltogyne)?

Its the darkest of these three types:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22551[/ATTACH]
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 00:22:16 »
Yes, it's the same family I believe. :)

Offline digitalleftovers

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 01:46:13 »
Awesome.  I love that they added the geekhack banner to their website.  If pricing is reasonable (hopefully less that titanium key caps) I may be interested in some.  As much as I love blank keys, part of me feels that a key made out of a material that keys are not normally made from needs to have legends, otherwise they haven't fully transitioned into a key.  For that reason, I would be interested in keys with legends (assuming that I like the font, etc...)  I will keep an eye on this.
Keyboards:

Offline Stevieboy7

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 12:37:00 »
Id be in for an esc key or 2

Offline GoodKnight

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 18:19:08 »
:) Definitely in for a few keys!

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 06:02:26 »
In for an Esc key (blank or not). I hope nirvana gets this group buy up and running! I'd want a cherry/dark wood.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:56:46 »
Again I am interested in this!

Offline mikeruth

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 11:19:44 »
I would like an ESC key, maybe two.
Mike R.

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 12:48:41 »
Would also like an ESC key

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 19:19:44 »
I check on this thread everyday hoping input nirvana has some new info for these keycaps lol
Keyboardless

Offline ironman31

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 19:30:59 »
Hopefully the wood won't snap when inserting a topre version, that loud pop always scares me
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Supergleep

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 13:44:03 »
Interested in an Esc key or two with either 'Esc' or GeekHack on it
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 13:44:57 »
In for one Esc key.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 13:59:13 »
in for one as well
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline iamtwon

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 15:16:21 »
Esc key as well here.
Sold: 6Gv2 Blacks, Filco 2 104 Browns, Leopold Tenkeyless Blues, Topre 87UB 55g

Have: Filco 2 Tenkeyless Blues, Topre 87UB 45g

Offline typetypetype

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 21:30:34 »
Definitely interested in a few.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 21:37:20 »
So, when can I buy this thing??
Keyboardless

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 21:40:48 »
idk, i was just following kl
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 23:29:41 »
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to have the spreadsheet up a week ago. I need 2 more crucial bits of info for the ordering matrix (clarification), and then I can post it. I have not been working on this everyday or it probably could have been done by now.

I'm going to post on OCN and Deskthority as well, since this may be a one time shot, I'd like to not leave anyone out.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 02:39:58 »
Slacker... :yawn:
Keyboardless

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 05:11:16 »
It's a'ight nirvana. PM me about how you want to post on OCN.

Offline ironman31

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 10:35:02 »
It'd be nice to buy an 87 key set, but I have a feeling that'll be a little expensive
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 10:44:22 »
Quote from: ironman31;394629
It'd be nice to buy an 87 key set, but I have a feeling that'll be a little expensive
At least it'll be cheaper then this
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 23479[/ATTACH]
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:11:16 »
Quote from: mmmty;394532
Slacker... :yawn:

I KNOW!!! :)

Yes, there's definitely been some of that on my part, mostly because it's not a 1, 2, 3 go sort of thing. Going to a company the builds the entire keyboard on a per unit basis, then having them price each individual part as a stand-alone...and it's the first time for them to do that, it's not the smoothest. The pricing questions are numerous. Are they making 8 keys or 300? What woods? What sizes? What legends on what keys (from a managing the product view, not a price issue). It's not quite like our new buddy WASD Keyboards who pulls the color/size out of stock and engraves it. These guys need to make the actual keys, so there are some legitimate business scaling concerns for them to address. And, I'm trying to do any footwork on this end to keep the contact minimal, focused, and with purpose (not a waste-time looky-loo).

It should be ready later this week. Keep in mind, to troubleshoot, after I get information, I process it and put it back through the meat grinder with them to make sure they haven't miscalculated or overlooked anything, and have them review and confirm. It would suck to have a 2 month group buy, collect money, place the order, and a couple weeks later hear that it turns out to not be feasible for some silly reason. It happens, and I don't want to be the point man if it did, I don't need a GH target painted on my head like a Seal on Osama. :)

I wish I had a keyboard of wooden keys already :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:11:58 »
What is that??? Looks interesting! A faux-metal painting look?

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:18:24 »
Quote from: input nirvana;394649
What is that??? Looks interesting! A faux-metal painting look?

Those are limited edition hand-painted key caps for HHKB and it's only available in Japan for a limited time. =(

Din Eli

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 11:35:06 »
Someone needs to get any/all info available on their painting process and post on GH. Obviously they wouldn't do it if it wasn't going to last?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 14:35:03 »
Quote from: input nirvana;394647
I KNOW!!! :)

I appreciate that you're taking the time and trouble to get this right, and cultivating a good relationship with this company.  No pressure man.  Take your time.

Offline Ekaros

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 14:36:31 »
So next gold plated metal key caps? ;D For serious waste of money, doubleshot gold-platinum-keys ;D
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 15:34:32 »
Quote from: Ekaros;394748
So next gold plated metal key caps? ;D For serious waste of money, doubleshot gold-platinum-keys ;D

http://www.chihapaura.com/limited/lE04

Gold plated Silver. Stem of your choice.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 07 August 2011, 16:15:06 »
Quote from: Ascaii;394755
http://www.chihapaura.com/limited/lE04

Gold plated Silver. Stem of your choice.
I want that but I doubt I can justify the cost of it
Keyboardless

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 09:02:34 »
ofc you can, its gold bro ! GOLD !:)
RF-87UW

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 10:58:07 »
Quote from: Mazora;397609
ofc you can, its gold bro ! GOLD !:)
I emailed them to see the cost, but no email back yet
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 12 August 2011, 11:03:48 »
The final version of the info is on it's way back to me. The very nice person I have worked with has sadly, been injured, and is home recuperating, so there has been a contact change. I'll go over this latest version, simplify everything, combine what I can, and format. I may go ahead and post the order matrix with a gap or two, just to get it up for consumption. Fine tuning can occur in an update after a week or two.

-I will post on Deskthority
-csm725 will help with a joint post (for credibility) on OCN. I have only a couple posts there.
-Is there someone that can assist with a joint post or lead in, on HardForum? I registered, but have not posted.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 03:02:03 »
121 rep points on OCN.
Been building it up. :P
I think along with WASDKB renewing interest we could get some great coverage on OCN. Lemme check with my buddy Tator Tot (managing editor for OCN) if there's anything he can do for it. :)

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 08:40:06 »
Quote from: csm725;398098
121 rep points on OCN.
Been building it up. :P
I think along with WASDKB renewing interest we could get some great coverage on OCN. Lemme check with my buddy Tator Tot (managing editor for OCN) if there's anything he can do for it. :)

yep, best talk to a mod there...I was pretty much forbidden from posting my doubleshots group buy on OCN, until I purchase a spot in OCNs vendor program...lets hope they dont try to pull that on you as well.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 10:10:04 »
I've got some pretty good connections and have posted a link to a Group Buy here before... but let me act on those and see what the higher-ups tell me. :D

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 12:42:36 »
Actually, I have already posted on Deskthority, so that is just waiting for the order form.

Thank you for the OCN work, it may turn out that we need every order possible to ensure the group buy goes through. I'm not certain yet, but if we have about 100 keys we should be in a good spot. I don't think that quantity will be hard to get.

Then there's HardForum....is there any other forum to consider?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 12:55:50 »
Quote from: input nirvana;398274
Actually, I have already posted on Deskthority, so that is just waiting for the order form.

Thank you for the OCN work, it may turn out that we need every order possible to ensure the group buy goes through. I'm not certain yet, but if we have about 100 keys we should be in a good spot. I don't think that quantity will be hard to get.

Then there's HardForum....is there any other forum to consider?
Considering this could be a one time opportunity, i'm sure a lot of people won't want to miss out, the 100 keys shouldn't be a problem at all
Keyboardless

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 13:31:25 »
Tator Tot approves the group buy at OCN.
nirvana check your PM for additional details.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 13 August 2011, 19:19:24 »
Thanks for the info/work you guys!!!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24199[/attach]

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 03:32:08 »
Bad bad bad reception at OCN... once they realize it's only meant to be like 1-5 keys/person maybe they'd be in. The communty doesn't care o have a unique novelty item. We'll see though.

Offline jedcred

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 00:42:40 »
I'd be interested as well, perhaps for an esc key and arrow keys.  I'd love to buy at least all the lettered keys, but I'm sure something like that is several times the cost of my Filco, which is hard to justify...
Keyboards:
Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Blues
IBM Model M \'93
Razer Blackwidow x 2 (because parts)
Goldtouch Adjustable
Logitech MX 5500

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 02:05:48 »
Quote from: csm725;398607
Bad bad bad reception at OCN... once they realize it's only meant to be like 1-5 keys/person maybe they'd be in. The communty doesn't care o have a unique novelty item. We'll see though.

We could send Erkle over to OCN as an Emissary of Geekhack Wood Keys.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 13:23:35 »
Yes we could. Who's Erkle?

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 18:28:36 »
OOPS!
It's URKEL, not Erkle. I've never seen it written, and I only saw the show on an old grainy tv in an old Wienerschnitzel converted to a taco stand.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 24509[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2011, 18:40:53 by input nirvana »

Offline guru

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 17 August 2011, 05:06:07 »
I'm interested in a key.

Offline kip69

• http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 04:48:39 »
I did not read all but:
I live not for from the factory.  I could take a day and go talk to them.  Unfortunately my translator is in Canada until the end of the month.  But they could ship me samples or something.  Let me know :)
I did not see this on OCN.  I must have been slacking.  Let me know if you need any more OCN coverage as well.  I can bump and link like no other.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 06:33:06 »

Offline kip69

• http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 18 August 2011, 08:31:59 »
Ah.  I can see why it is not going over so well at OCN.  Different target market there.  Here is for the gourmand there is more the McDonald crowd.  Both are good but you don't sell $8 burgers at McD's.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 21:54:41 »
I got all the info, and am now streamlining and simplifying. Now, it will actually be very easy, you will look at it and wonder why this took so long :)

I'll post the info at the beginning of this thread as soon as I'm done in a few more days, and at Deskthority. I think once the hard info is up, and people digest it, it may get a little more momentum as well.

I don't want to speak out of place, but I believe WASD Keyboards may be in on this at some level. There is a possibility to have some keys (in different sizes/woods) blank, and have him engrave whateva. Wouldn't that be cool? I mention that so you guys don't think I'm not doing anything, I'm sure you can see me just hanging out at the beach with girls all day. WASD has been very responsive to our suggestions, and interested in the GH community, and I think this could be a nice match. What do you guys think?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 19 August 2011, 22:05:03 »
we appreciate all the work you're doing to make this possible!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Marclgw

• * Vendor
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 02:39:31 »
Hey TS,
What's the MOQ at this point of time?

Offline gilgam

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #140 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 05:26:07 »
Quote from: input nirvana;394663
Someone needs to get any/all info available on their painting process and post on GH. Obviously they wouldn't do it if it wasn't going to last?

It's japanese lacquer
about 10-40 layers hand painted of beautiful lacquer, very expensive (about 4000$ the keyboard if i remember well).
I don't know about life expectancy though, and an absolute shinny look and feeling

By the way i'm in for 2 top row and arrows in two sets dark wood and clear one.
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 13:22:41 »
Quote from: Marclgw;402090
Hey TS,
What's the MOQ at this point of time?

That is still not settled at this point in time. There is flexibility on this order that may not be available in the future. That's a reason this may be a very infrequent opportunity. A couple thousand USD before shipping is a large amount compared with the average cost of $10 per item. It's in our best interest to think ahead, get as many people involved, buy a couple as b-day/xmas gifts, etc. so the order is robust. It sends a positive message to the manufacturer for future consideration.

Consider this...look at what some people are offering for Click Clacks keys now that they are not available? So that doesn't happen, I'm purchasing a bunch in the most popular woods that can be available to people in the future. No $50 wood keys here! But it would be a mistake for anyone to say "Hey, I'll just wait and buy one from Input Nirvana later" because there is no guarantee they will be available, or the ones that you want. The time to buy anything is over the next 8-10 weeks while we compile everyones orders for a Halloween order date so you can have the keys around the first week of Dec.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 14:47:47 »
i got a lot for my tricolor click clack key
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 16:21:53 »
Well, I'm going to 'try' to buy more, but like anyone else, I have a variety of things my cash needs to go to, so the reality is that I may only get 10 keys. Like I said, no guarantees. If you want some wood keys, the time to buy will be now.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 20 August 2011, 17:50:22 »
I'd probably be in for 1. Maybe 2. Gotta watch the finances.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Waterdr1nker

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 16:23:35 »
Hope this goes through!

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 19:33:25 »
I am interested in this.  Maybe WASD, ESC, and Arrows.

Offline chenga91

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 07:46:50 »
I'm interested. (First geekhack post =O)
Currently Using:
~Leopold Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown~
~Razer Deathadder Black Edition~
~Artisan Hien Soft, Medium Size~

Offline chenga91

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 07:53:38 »
Wait..is this buy over? :(
Currently Using:

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 10:31:00 »
Noooo, there is a delay in Taiwan. Our contact, Kent was unfortunately injured and at home recuperating, we started over with another person, then picked up again with Kent, and got the final pricing. I consolidated and formatted everything, and sent to them to make absolutely, positively, completely certain that everything is correct and that there are no mistakes/oversights. One final look from them with an "OK" stamp is all I want at this point. Remember, this business model is new for them (to sell keys only, not the entire keyboard) and being a complicated group buy, I don't want any chance of a screw up.

Also, an unfortunate and untimely event that affects me personally occurred suddenly without warning 2 weeks ago. That has caused several things that are not a "today" issue, or already in motion to be slightly delayed at my end. So anything that needs a prod from me is not getting it for another week or two as I get back up to speed. For that I'm sorry.

Offline chenga91

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 15:50:58 »
Ahh..gotcha. I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread then :D
Currently Using:

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 13:11:42 »
I've posted the pricing and terms of the wood key group buy. There will be more info as questions are asked that I may not have addressed. Hopefully we can decide on an order time frame of November.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 13:18:20 »
Awesome, in for a teak Esc key.

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 14:33:14 »
definitely in for an ESC key in redwood. Also, I would like a set of Fir Arrow keys.

If we manage to somehow get a cheap price on blanks, I would be willing to spend 50-60$ for a blank 38 key Fir set.
Do we have any information how much engraving the caps will be?  If I could get the blanks engraved with iso legends without tearing a huge hole in my wallet that would be beyond awesome.

Offline zirrow

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 14:56:19 »
I'm in for a set of arrow keys in teak

Offline Ekaros

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:02:32 »
Uuh, that is bit costly atleast for red wood I would like...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:31:40 »
I added to the post that the keys come lacquer coated. If they are engraved by WASD Keyboards they will need additional coating, which can be done here no problem.

I hope the posting gives an "official" price and guideline that people can digest for a couple weeks to work out a couple bugs, then a timeline and create an order sheet to copy/email.

I've been in touch with Weyman at WASD Keyboards, and I'm wondering if everyone would be more comfortable going through WASD since he's shown to be a such a great vendor. Also, the idea that he would do custom engraving on (these) wood keycaps, AND the more recent idea that he could stock these items for ongoing purchases as they come up. One item to note, the prices as you see them are directly from KSM, then there will be various shipping charges, there is no mark up or profit from these items (a true 'group buy'). Going through WASD would probably require that a profit margin be added, rightfully so. There are a few details like if many people get custom engraving, etc. that may negate the need for a profit on the wood keys, but that remains to be seen as the orders are taken. All future orders (if through WASD) would probably be handled differently.

Open to hear thoughts and ideas. I've done my best to try and get a workable situation for everyone involved. Nothing is in stone, so the process can still have changes to make it as good as possible.

Offline Ekaros

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:34:30 »
BTW what is programming fee, or namely how much is it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:40:45 »
Great question. I never asked though it's been in our correspondence repeatedly. I'll fire off an email now.

EDIT--- Email sent.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:55:29 by input nirvana »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 15:52:59 »
Stylish key top look amazing lol damn these expensive keycaps!
Keyboardless

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:14:22 »
I'm in for some!

In my opinion, I think the best approach is to set a fixed price that you won't lose money at and a deadline for ordering along with ordering instructions (new thread, or WASD).  People can then send money as they order.  After the deadline (maybe a couple weeks?), lock it down, place the order.  Any extra money can go towards your time organizing or to WASD.  Variable pricing, loose deadlines, and uncertainly drag so many group buys out.  I'm a fan of quick take-it-of-leave-it style... but I guess that's subjective. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 16:29:29 »
In the big picture you're absolutely correct. This has already been a challenge to get to this point it should be easy from here on out. I figured I'd get the info out and a couple weeks to digest, work out the couple questions/bugs, then choose the one course with a time limit. So the 2 weeks starts NOW :)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 19:06:58 »
^Where do i place an order, haha ;p

Seriously thanks for setting this all up ;)
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 08 September 2011, 20:54:32 »
From KSM:

"Programming fee depends on the how complicated your design is.
The fee would cost down If CAD file were provided."

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 09 September 2011, 00:39:16 »
Would be in for a Teak Esc key.
BTW... I recommend the engraving font to be Arial 10, Bold.

Offline vicpro

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 10 September 2011, 01:11:33 »
Might be interest in a redwood spacebar.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 12:32:45 »
For the stylish keytops is there a selection we can choose from?
Keyboardless

Offline sordna

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 17:49:31 »
Can wood keycaps be laser engraved? If so, will it "burn" the engraved area to make it a nice black font ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 11 September 2011, 23:20:22 »
Quote from: sordna;414604
Can wood keycaps be laser engraved? If so, will it "burn" the engraved area to make it a nice black font ?

Yes, they can be laser engraved, we're talking with WASD Keyboards to do the engraving. I'll forward the black/burn question to Weyman.

Quote from: tsangan;414461
For the stylish keytops is there a selection we can choose from?

Yes, look at the first post, and then their website, I believe it shows what is standard available.

Offline mikeruth

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 14:10:38 »
How do I order?  I am ready to order some keys.
Mike R.

Offline wasdkeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 14:29:01 »
Engraved wood products are much easier to work with than plastic keycaps. Laser engraved wood can have a variety of different engraving styles. You can make it very light to very dark by varying the speed and power.

Here are some examples of general laser engraving on wood: http://www.epiloglaser.com/photo_gallery.htm
(Click on the Wood products category)
Questions and comments, please visit our Geekhack: WASD Keyboards Vendor Forum
WASDKeyboards.com - Custom Mechanical Keyboards

Offline GoodKnight

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 29 September 2011, 20:24:36 »
Bump! Any update on this?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 19 October 2011, 14:16:51 »
lk
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline GoodKnight

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 20 October 2011, 15:43:55 »
:) Any update on this?

Offline skwan

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 04:55:49 »
Is this just for standard keys? or are space bars and other modifiers possible, sorry, i know i may be muddying the water with this question.

off topic: will you do another group buy for topre keys?

Offline Skoobs

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 03:43:57 »
very very interested in keys. hope we can do a group buy for a discount, because im lovin that dark wood.

and i want the keyboard in the BACKGROUND of this picture:

so WASD is doing this? will they be stocking the keys in their store, or will it still be a group buy on here? would be awesome if they stocked the keys at their website.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 03:49:17 by Skoobs »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:03:22 »
Quote from: Skoobs;453128
very very interested in keys. hope we can do a group buy for a discount, because im lovin that dark wood.

and i want the keyboard in the BACKGROUND of this picture:

[image of beautiful wooden keyboards]

so WASD is doing this? will they be stocking the keys in their store, or will it still be a group buy on here? would be awesome if they stocked the keys at their website.

input nirvana has been working with the company that produces the keys, and I think WASD was going to engrave or laser etch them.  This thread has been stale for a while though, I think the buy might be dead.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 11:33:28 »
I'm still in touch with KSM, and with WASD about this. WASD will be considering this after the holidays to possibly create a way to stock product. This is NOT definite, obviously it has to make sense and there has to be a demand. If there's not enough demand, a group buy will be the only way, and we will need about a $1,500 total sale. The MOQ is usually $2,000 plus all associated costs.

I've had to stop everything I'm doing (my first group buy, completing the Kinesis mod, selling off some of my keyboard stuff) due to some fairly traumatic and very severe circumstance that have occurred recently. I sincerely apologize, I didn't want to have this happen, hell, I wanted a dozen wood keys more than anybody. If nothing else becomes of this with WASD, I will keep the connection alive and put together the group buy after the holidays. Keep in mind, many people only want one or two key caps, and they are fairly pricey, and so getting a sizable amount seems somewhat difficult. That's a problem for the group buy, as well as for WASD to throw his hat in the ring.

I can follow up with this in a serious manner after the first of the year if this turns out to not be a good fit for WASD. I would like WASD to handle this for everyone, it would be more readily available on a regular basis, and could be custom etched. Perhaps if everyone with an interest were to contact WASD with their wants, he will have a good idea of the demand and can make a better informed decision.

Again, I'm sorry for how I'm not able to do a good job at this time on this :(

Offline Ascaii

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 13:49:26 »
Well, **** happens. Dont sweat it, life takes precedence over keycaps. Im still very interested in this going through but the cost is prohibitive to most people.

Offline pannkakan

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 05:40:50 »
I see that this thread is kind of dead.. but I'm very interested =)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 11:39:10 »
Couple things transpired:

1) The MOQ is fairly substantial...probably about $2,000 USD.
2) The cost per key varies from about $7-$17 which seems to be too much for many people.
3) I personally am not the best person to run a group buy, there are others that are pros at it. I couldn't even try until I'm in a settled position....which would not be before the end of this year :)
4) WASD Keyboards MIGHT be interested in buying a bulk order, but there would need to be a substantial amount of interest/pre-orders.

There are some really awesome keys...I dig 'em. I'd still be involved, but I'm not certain at what level.

Figure this...if the average key is about $10 and we need an order of $2,000...then we need at least 200 keys to be ordered. Sooo......how many people (keys) are interested?

Offline guilleguillaume

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:20:32 »
With the upcoming wood cases for Poker and Filco Tenkeyless that will be appearing in Group Buy subforum I guess some people would be interested.

I know not everybody would be willing to pay the price for a complete set because it would require a lot of money but I can go with a complete set ( 87-88) after receiving any of the wood cases mentioned in this line.

I supose the best choice will be to go with blank set because for sure I'm not paying that amount of money to receive lettering engraved in any language that is not mine. Also if they're going to reproduce a complete set of keycaps I would prefer a Signature Plastics DCS or Cherry corp profile.

Count me in for this interesting Group Buy.

Offline Gothic860

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:34:57 »
the idea is nice but there are 3 things i don't like:

1. The price is much too high (for me). Thats are at least 87 x 7 = 609$ + fees + shipping ... if you want a complete keyset.
2. I think they get shiny very soon or even worse the laquer will disappear and the keys get dirty
3. I think its much nicer to type on good DS Keycaps than on wood. A wood-case is nice but keycaps ... i don't think so.

but gl :)

btw.: I make my last steps on my Wooden Case i think i can start the IC on Friday.

Offline guilleguillaume

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #183 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 12:53:44 »
Quote from: Gothic860;577089
the idea is nice but there are 3 things i don't like:

1. The price is much too high (for me). Thats are at least 87 x 7 = 609$ + fees + shipping ... if you want a complete keyset.
2. I think they get shiny very soon or even worse the laquer will disappear and the keys get dirty
3. I think its much nicer to type on good DS Keycaps than on wood. A wood-case is nice but keycaps ... i don't think so.

but gl :)

btw.: I make my last steps on my Wooden Case i think i can start the IC on Friday.

Will be looking into it for sure :yo:

The main problem of this Group buy is the price of each individual key. I really have the hope that they really make high quality keys so laquer disappearing and keys getting shiny won't be a problem in short time, if nto well then definetely is not a good idea.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 18:07:42 »
There may be another option.

I might be building a 3D printer towards the end of the year. If so, one of the things I want to know is if it will be able to make wood keys, not just plastic keys. Research.

See here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23446-kinesis-advantage-keycap-replacement-limitations&p=577387&viewfull=1#post577387

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 18:29:25 »
I'm tempted to just buy a plank of wood, cut it into cubes and drill holes into the bottom of them big enough to glue in a cherry MX stem shaft stolen from a regular ABS keycap. Would probably be super cheap and not that hard to do.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Elrobo

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 18:43:33 »
After I finish some of my current projects I was going to try something similar oneproduct, drill a hole, then attempt to recreate a stem shaft by cutting a smaller dowel into 4 and wood gluing into the hole.

Then much later in summer once I have my raspberry pi I was pondering attempting to make a small scale CnC machine for small wooden objects.
Of course I'm a lot of talk and if any of this goes anywhere I will no doubt make a thread.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 00:30:15 »
Meh, it turns out the 3D printer is a bit more than I can handle :(

I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Offline h2oxide

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 08:38:05 »
Very interesting, I would be keen for a wooden keycap set

Offline dmbr

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:35:11 »
I'd definitely be interested in a wasd set.

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 12:16:01 »
Quote from: input nirvana;577400
There may be another option.

I might be building a 3D printer towards the end of the year. If so, one of the things I want to know is if it will be able to make wood keys, not just plastic keys.

3D printers can't make wood.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline digitalleftovers

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 13:29:39 »
Megnin, the fact that your typewriter actually types 'geekhack' is amazing...

Technically, you could use a laser cutting machine (the advanced ones can do depth) and cut a keycap shape into wood.  Theres a lot of carbon left on the surface that you'd have to sand off or live with.
Keyboards:

Offline Zehkul

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 13:47:19 »
Laser cutting wood? What about water cut? Too expensive?