Author Topic: Wood MOQ keycaps  (Read 66261 times)

Offline Ekaros

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 18:00:15 »
I always wanted Ebony key... ;D
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline runeazn

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 19:36:47 »
Quote from: Ekaros;379093
I always wanted Ebony key... ;D
oh you naughty boy :P
Kami Ducky 1087 of Heaven

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 20:03:56 »
Yes, blank is fine with me too if that's easier/cheaper.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 12 July 2011, 22:56:55 »
At this stage, the price is the same whether there is a legend or not. There are several steps to go, so nothing is settled or completely decided upon. I am working on getting more quantity to purchase, which is crucial.

I have the thought of making the Kinesis Contoured switch plate out of metal, and use wood keycaps on the Cherry switches, and no case, similar to this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20588[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20589[/ATTACH]

With an ultimate pimp-board such as this, I'm hoping to grease the wheels a bit with the participants and maybe get the pricing adjusted.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 00:19:38 »
I'm interested in the caps, but also in the inserts...
Any chance they will sell some inserts separately? :3

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 02:08:24 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;379325
I'm interested in the caps, but also in the inserts...
Any chance they will sell some inserts separately? :3

Good question, I hadn't gone there yet. I'll throw that in the hat asap :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Son of Gnome

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 23:38:34 »
id like an esc key for my growing collection of them i hope to fill up my entire f row with them ^^

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 02:13:01 »
I'm online with the manufacturer right now.
Curious: Are you looking for keycaps with legends, or without legends?

Offline jat4

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 08:55:02 »
I would be interested in arrow keys that look like the Page Up key in the photos you uploaded.  What wood is it, and how much would the set cost?

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:05:23 »
hey input nirvana,

tks for this. Could you please update your first post with prices and stuff ? If you dont mind...

I'm interested but its not clear right now how much will it costs and what is available !:)
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 09:06:36 »
In for at least 1 Esc key and personally, I prefer them with legends.  Also the darker the color of the wood used the better.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 17:22:45 »
What was the estimated price for keys? I'd like the 4 arrow keys for my leopold if the price isn't too bad. Or one esc key if it's on the pricier side. And I agree with reaper, dark wood perfered.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hate

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:14:42 »
i would be up for one redwood and teak esc, should look classy
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:27:24 by hate »
cherry black | topre | 빈 수레가 요란하다

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 19:51:34 »
I'd prefer darker over light.  But not some ebony wood that looks black.  You need to be able to tell it's wood.  Like perhaps a nice walnut equivalent.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 20:00:32 »
Look at their website for the 8 woods they "easily" offer. Keep in mind, woods vary in color and pitch. As a side note, wood can be stained or pigmented-laquer coated.

I'll post the estimated pricing on the very first post, as someone suggested recently. We're still talking about the best way they can supply keycaps that is efficient/cost effective and still be flexible so people get exactly what they want.

There may be a vendor forum set up here as well.

Offline fortran

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 20:21:31 »
ebony?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:28:13 »
Quote from: Son of Gnome;380043
id like an esc key for my growing collection of them i hope to fill up my entire f row with them ^^

that is what i am doing with my keycaps
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline RiGS

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:34:38 »
Is it possible to get wooden topre keycaps?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:45:44 »
Yes, they can make almost anything. Nothing is "off the shelf". Please keep in mind, we (keyboard geeks) are helping create this business model for the manufacturer and industry. No one makes these, especially at this level. Look what it took for Clack Factory. I am posting on a couple different forums to generate more interest (there is no lack of that!) and see exactly what people want. Then to combine, make changes, price and pull the trigger. The manufacturer is monitoring this thread as well.

Offline Son of Gnome

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 13:58:46 »
im looking for an esc key with something sweet on it not just esc and hopefully if it isnt like to expensive i could get a set of arrows keys.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 01:24:29 »
We have just made some great headway towards being able to place orders for the wood keycaps. I have emailed iMav on some of the initial info for his approval/guidance/input, and will make a complete post in this thread for the process, options, costs, time. etc.

About a week or so we can have some hard points so everyone can begin making decisions.

Offline Mazora

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 08:27:26 »
Awesome.
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:30:33 »
There is a chance this group buy may be a one-shot. Their minimum order is fairly expensive. They are not set up at this point to do individual keys. I will make a spreadsheet to post on the first thread a matrix of the woods, key sizes, prices, etc that are available without going custom. Hopefully I'll do this in a week or two. I'll get more pictures and sound samples of the keys being depressed, maybe a video as well.

Are there any other forums this can be posted/linked on? I want to include people that don't post here very often, include others to get the order higher and spread out the shipping cost, get the manufacturer more exposure (the happier they are the better), and promote the hobby in general. If I can post in a couple more places and get more interest, it will be that much easier to make special requests (like custom keys).
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:32:36 by input nirvana »

Offline Waterdr1nker

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:32:48 »
Post on Deskthority and OCN, and see if they're interested.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 13:37:01 »
2-3? Skimpy. I guess that's confirmation that geekhack is the Number One Keyboard Forum On The Planet.

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:08:51 »
Quote from: ripster;382710
I deleted my snarky "Well, that will add about 2-3 comment" in case anybody is wondering about the lack of continuity here.  I'm trying to be more like Switzerland.

You are riddled with holes? :)

I did on deskthority. I'll try a post/link on OCN and HardForum. It's for the cause.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:11:27 by input nirvana »

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:17:09 »
$2500 for 104 keys?
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 18 July 2011, 14:31:35 »
No.

They have a minimum order, as almost every manufacturer does. They don't do retail sales. I'll be posting a selection/pricing matrix in a week or two. Keys are about $7-$18 per key, depending on wood.

Offline zirrow

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 July 2011, 18:23:54 »
definitely interested in a key or five, depending on pricing.  I like the idea of the arrow cluster and the escape key.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 00:19:21 »
Definitely in as well for at least an ESC, and possibly more.  Thanks for doing all this leg work, input nirvana.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 01:16:35 »
Quote from: input nirvana;382733
No.

They have a minimum order, as almost every manufacturer does. They don't do retail sales. I'll be posting a selection/pricing matrix in a week or two. Keys are about $7-$18 per key, depending on wood.

A ~$45 set of arrow keys and a $14 escape key.  I'd be all over that and I'm sure some others would.  It's freaking wood! :)  If you can't get enough, perhaps I'll buy a lot and sell the crap out of them on ebay or something. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 01:32:06 »
I made a decision that I am going to over purchase in the event this is a one time deal. Really want to make sure this happens. The more quantity, the easier to pull off. So I figured there are quite a few people I know that would like wooden keys as gifts. lol

The manufacturer has linked Geekhack on their website, how cool is that???

I really want a Kinesis Advantage with wood keys!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 11:34:35 »
Quote from: aggiejy;385162
A ~$45 set of arrow keys and a $14 escape key.  I'd be all over that and I'm sure some others would.

Yup, that sounds pretty reasonable.  I'd be in also if it's around that price range.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Asp

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:37:05 »
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but how much more would a wood spacebar cost?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 20:04:32 »
Quote from: Asp;385543
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but how much more would a wood spacebar cost?

Spacebars would probably be tricky since there are different fitting locations between some.  (Filco vs Leopold/Steelseries, etc)  But otherwise, the would be cool.  I just want to hear the sound these things make bottoming out. :)

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 11:41:48 »
I would be in for some arrow keys & esc key also or maybe my whole row of numeric keys/F1-12 ;o

Tempted to buy more since this opportunity won't come often
Keyboardless

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:06:15 »
The most important aspect is the exact info to display on an order spreadsheet very soon. Woods, prices, key sizes, etc. I'm waiting until I have the most accurate info before posting on OCN and HardForum. Geekhack is the cornerstone of this group buy. Then we can pick an ordering period (6-8 weeks?) after as many people as possible have seen and considered, then we could place the order. At this time, it's wise to consider this a one-time opportunity, but nothing is ever static, everything is negotiable.

Offline digitalleftovers

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 19:40:01 »
Do they do purpleheart wood (Peltogyne)?

Its the darkest of these three types:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 22551[/ATTACH]
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Input Nirvana

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 00:22:16 »
Yes, it's the same family I believe. :)

Offline digitalleftovers

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 01:46:13 »
Awesome.  I love that they added the geekhack banner to their website.  If pricing is reasonable (hopefully less that titanium key caps) I may be interested in some.  As much as I love blank keys, part of me feels that a key made out of a material that keys are not normally made from needs to have legends, otherwise they haven't fully transitioned into a key.  For that reason, I would be interested in keys with legends (assuming that I like the font, etc...)  I will keep an eye on this.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Stevieboy7

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 28 July 2011, 12:37:00 »
Id be in for an esc key or 2

Offline GoodKnight

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 29 July 2011, 18:19:08 »
:) Definitely in for a few keys!

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 02 August 2011, 06:02:26 »
In for an Esc key (blank or not). I hope nirvana gets this group buy up and running! I'd want a cherry/dark wood.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 03 August 2011, 08:56:46 »
Again I am interested in this!

Offline mikeruth

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 11:19:44 »
I would like an ESC key, maybe two.
Mike R.

Offline ladiesman2927

• 초보
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 04 August 2011, 12:48:41 »
Would also like an ESC key

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 19:19:44 »
I check on this thread everyday hoping input nirvana has some new info for these keycaps lol
Keyboardless

Offline ironman31

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 05 August 2011, 19:30:59 »
Hopefully the wood won't snap when inserting a topre version, that loud pop always scares me
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Supergleep

Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 13:44:03 »
Interested in an Esc key or two with either 'Esc' or GeekHack on it
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Wood MOQ keycaps
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 06 August 2011, 13:44:57 »
In for one Esc key.