Author Topic: Religion  (Read 107760 times)

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:30:14 »
Quote from: timw4mail;202295
Um...hi.

lol!!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:32:40 »
Slaughter the fattened calf, the prodigal son has returned!

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Religion
« Reply #402 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:38:06 »
Quote from: ch_123;202305
Slaughter the fattened calf, the prodigal son has returned!

Not really, 'prodigal' actually means foolish with money.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #403 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 14:40:09 »
I think it's one of those phrases that has taken a new meaning beyond the sum of its parts.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #404 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 17:23:43 »
so tim, are you still a believer? Or have you changed during your leave?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 19:47:32 »
Quote from: timw4mail;202295
Um...hi.

LOL!
:becky:  That just made my day!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Religion
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 19:56:26 »
l hate athiests
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2010, 20:20:06 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

Religion
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 21:26:09 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202424
l hate [strike]athiests[/strike] ch_123[/b][/i]

I always knew there was a connection.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Religion
« Reply #408 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 21:57:43 »
Quote from: ch_123;202284
How are these things mutually exclusive with a lack of religion?
They are not. As is, in fact, my own personal case.

But they aren't mutually exclusive with the presence of religion either, and so I was indicating my partial agreement with the point of the poster to whom I was replying - that a distinction can be drawn between genuine faith and the things usually criticized about religion.

Then I went on to note my area of disagreement; that I felt the attempt to distinguish between religion and how humans abuse it exempts just a bit too much from criticism.

Offline Rajagra

Religion
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:04:02 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202424
l hate athiests

I thank God I'm an atheist!

Offline EverythingIBM

Religion
« Reply #410 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 22:10:48 »
Quote from: Rajagra;202448
I thank God I'm an atheist!

But then is it really thanking God? That is the question...

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 00:50:34 »
i have a feeling tim's faith may be wavering. That tends to happen in college.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Religion
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 00:59:38 »
How the hell can someone hate atheists on the basis of being atheist?

Atheism, but the very nature of what it is, is non-confrontational, non-offensive and does not discriminate. It is a label for a group (not organized) which have, if nothing else, one common trait: they do not believe anything in particular with regards to creationism.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

Religion
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 01:14:46 »
Quote from: kishy;202488
How the hell can someone hate atheists on the basis of being atheist?

Atheism, but the very nature of what it is, is non-confrontational, non-offensive and does not discriminate. It is a label for a group (not organized) which have, if nothing else, one common trait: they do not believe anything in particular with regards to creationism.

Well you see, I could say that the evolutionists and creationists aren't atheists but religious people. Whereas, true atheism is a belief that upholds NOTHING; a neutral stance on everything, including man's existence.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Religion
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 01:47:01 »
True, atheists don't necessarily believe in evolution or anything in particular with regards to how we got here or how we exist.

I doubt you'd find many who have no belief that we actually exist, though.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 04:03:14 »
I'd be happier if I believed MW didn't exist.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 06:02:53 »
You'd have nothing to do here on the forum if I wasn't here.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #417 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 06:04:26 »
Not really. Maybe we'd have real discussions without you and your bum buddies hurf-durfing at every oppurtunity.

Offline itlnstln

Religion
« Reply #418 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 06:57:13 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202519
You'd have nothing to do here on the forum if I wasn't here.

I would still have your mom.  Me and everyone else.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 07:38:12 »
Quote from: ch_123;202520
Not really. Maybe we'd have real discussions without you and your bum buddies hurf-durfing at every oppurtunity.

Nah. But really, almost every single of your posts follows a Microsoft Windows post. It's kind of funny.

Offline timw4mail

Religion
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 07:39:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;202494
Well you see, I could say that the evolutionists and creationists aren't atheists but religious people. Whereas, true atheism is a belief that upholds NOTHING; a neutral stance on everything, including man's existence.

I think your referring to agnosticism, not atheism. Atheism implies disbelief in God, whereas agnosticism doesn't claim to know (or care).
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline gr1m

Religion
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 08:01:03 »
And you're directing your hate at the wrong people. Atheists do not believe in God, agnostics do not care and anti-theists hate religion. Maybe you should hate anti-theists.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 08:35:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;202532
Nah. But really, almost every single of your posts follows a Microsoft Windows post. It's kind of funny.

Really? Prove it.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #423 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 09:31:28 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;202494
You're thinking of agnosticism. However, even an agnostic is likely to "believe in" evolution, on the basis that, if we can't know if there's a God, then life could only have gotten here in a way that is compatible with there not being a God.

So there could be a God, but life would still have had to have evolved.

And "believing in" evolution, or global warming, or special relativity doesn't contradict agnosticism. While some people may have issues with things that are part of the consensus of the scientific community, others put what science says in the same category as the evidence of one's eyes and ears, not in the category of things that require any "belief" or any faith whatever.

Sure, today's scientific theories may be adjusted a bit by tomorrow's increased knowledge, but for understanding the real world, science has shown itself to be tremendously effective in practice. And it's possible to learn science, to understand it, to see how it ticks - how it corrects itself when it's wrong.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 10:36:51 »
Quote from: ch_123;202520
hurf-durfing .

i thought it was 'herp-de-derp'

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 10:39:34 »
Quote from: timw4mail;202533
I think your referring to agnosticism, not atheism. Atheism implies disbelief in God, whereas agnosticism doesn't claim to know (or care).

tim are you veering towards agnosticism?

Offline timw4mail

Religion
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 12:25:59 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202600
tim are you veering towards agnosticism?

Not at all.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #427 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 14:22:51 »
personally i think the world should return to pantheism and polytheism. The world was much more full of magic (in a good way) before evangelical christianity (and evangelical islam) decided to exert a monopoly on magic in the world.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Religion
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 15:09:10 »
I lol'd.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Religion
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 23:01:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;202199
You were trying to make an argument about the relativity of truth. But truth is not relative, it is absolute. Some[thing] is either so or it is not. A simple binary operation.

That turns out not to be the case. In the totally rational universe of quantum physics, Schrodinger's cat is truthfully both alive and dead at the same time. It is both so and not so. The truth is relative, relative to an event that cannot be measured until the box is open.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 23:05:10 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #430 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 07:56:39 »
Quote from: ricercar;203209
That turns out not to be the case. In the totally rational universe of quantum physics, Schrodinger's cat is truthfully both alive and dead at the same time. It is both so and not so. The truth is relative, relative to an event that cannot be measured until the box is open.
The cat knows.

This is why it is a paradox; the concept of an observer was not well-defined in quantum mechanics, and so this thought experiment was intended to illustrate the need to bring in a nonlinearity to the theory before symmetry breaking could be properly understood.

Since, no matter how well-shielded the box is, the gravitational force of the cat's mass cannot be blocked, whether the cat is standing up or slumped over in death is in fact observable from outside the box - hence, this is proposed as one solution to the paradox.

Offline J888www

Religion
« Reply #431 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 08:08:35 »
Fade away away away away........
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 July 2010, 08:17:19 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline pex

Religion
« Reply #432 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 22:39:22 »
Is it really the case that two separate threads have merged into this thread on religion and are BOTH repeating themselves?

On religion, what kind of a god would give us faculties of reason and ethic and go on to have us contradict those gifts?  I feel that limits the possibilities of the type of god we might have.

And as for protecting the great gift of life some god may or may not have given us:

Quote from: wellington1869;201440
so here's a related question, speaking of the culture wars -- the 2nd amendment. Right to bear arms. The right wing likes to read this as an absolute without any context or limits. Louisiana's guv'ner just signed a bill on this basis allowing guns in church. SO -- if you read the second amendment literally in that way -- by what right can we prevent people from boarding planes with guns strapped to their hips?

That's not really what 'the right wing' believes.  Much of 'the right wing' wants us to be slaves just as much as the 'the left wing', and they will each take half of what needs to be done to make us slaves under the false dichotomy to make us slaves altogether.  But as for people who do in fact believe in a 'absolute' right 'without any context or limit'...

It's true, there is really not much to limit.  'Reasonable regulation' of the right to keep and bear arms is a penal statute like murder.  The 2A ought not be a defense to the malicious and unlawful taking of life simply because of the implement used.  But what has occurred is that the courts have stretched what even 'reasonable regulation' first meant to basically mean that the government can do anything it wants to regulate our life, liberty, and property even when we haven't injured someone else's.  I find it hard to find a moral authority for that.

Signing a bill repealing a law that made it illegal to carry a firearm in a church is not extending the 2A beyond it's actual purpose. It's instead RETURNING THE RIGHT TO PROPERTY to owners of churches!  The bill does not force churches to accept firearms.  What business does the government have making a ban like that in the first place?

So on having guns on airplanes, you do realize bullet holes aren't going to depressurize a plane and cause it to crash, right?  The government has no right to ban arms from planes, and the Interstate Commerce Clause cannot be consulted because the right to keep and bear arms is not only preexisting but an amendment which would stand to alter the operation of the ICC even if it could apply (and then there's the question of why we would throw off a mighty tyrant just to create a new all-powerful federal government which is made so by a single clause.)  Plane companies might be able to regulate whether there are arms on their planes (I say 'might' because of the nature of regulation and monopoly already so intertwined with the government, which I would have to have a long discussion about to decide.)

Quote from: ch_123;201554
The 2nd Amendment is something that is completely taken out of context by the pro-gun side in the US. IIRC, it's to do with letting a militia stockpile arms for use against a tyrannical government.

The 2nd Amendment is something that anyone who wants slaves is trying to completely neuter.  The right to keep and bear arms is about being ready for and employing a self-defense, whether it is a personal defense, defense against a foreign enemy, or defense against a tyrant.  If I as a singular individual cannot be allowed to have as many arms as my government, my government will see me dead or enslaved at a place and time of THEIR choosing.

There's all sorts of problems with this. On a very practical level, when the US constitution was drafted, wars were fought by a group of men with muskets at one end of the field, and another group men with muskets at the other.

Except for the guys with rifles in trees sniping people through irregular warfare.  The colonists did not win because they lined up in lines across bridges.

Nowadays wars are fought with tanks, aircraft, helicopters, missiles and all sorts of fun things, and really, it doesn't matter whether federal law dictates that your AR-15 can only hold 5, 10, 30 or even 100 rounds without being reloaded - if you run into a tank you're ****ed either way.

So because a tyranny is already such a military might, for that reason alone we should be deprived of our right...that our right is only good so long as it seems within the realm of possibility that we could actually repel a tyrant?

How about local tyrannies?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)
How about being underwhelming from foreign invaders? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_War

So who would propose that by already being 'outmatched' that we deserve to be forced by our government to become even MORE underwhelming than we already seem?

If the second amendment was taken to its logical conclusion in today's terms, the government would subsidize the cost of buying a battle tank for private citizens. It would also allow private ownership of plastic explosives, anti-aircraft artillery and anti-tank missiles, and all the other things that are necessary for fighting a modern war. I think in reality that basic public safety overcomes this need to fight against this imaginary tyrant.

A government is a greater threat than any private criminal.

Which leads onto the deeper philosophical problem of the amendment - it was written by a group of revolutionaries who had usurped British power - of course they were going to say that it was right for the people to overthrow the government with revolutionary means. It also must be contextualized with the relative immaturity of democracy, and the fact that revolutions and general instability were all the rage back then in western nations. Fast forward hundreds of years, is it really right that people living in a democracy should be afforded the right to lead violent revolution against their government if they feel they are being tyrannized? Who decides if the government is a tyranny? Obviously it isn't going to be the government in question, so is it up to the people on the ground to decide? Should Timothy McVeigh have been acquitted under his 2nd amendment rights? The idea is comical as it dangerous.

We already have a train of usurpations and abuses that surely entitle us to revolution at every level of our governments.  It's reported that the revolution might have only been run by some small number, or at least initiated by so, say 3%, and that apathy existed largely just as it does now.  The threshold may be when that angry minority is enough to cash in their lives for liberty.  The difference between revolution and rebellion is who is hung at the end, and those who find the revolters criminal or tyrannous themselves will be risen against in revolution, until the cost of a life is no longer with cashing in for liberty.

That all said, I don't think America's strange obsession with guns, and its huge gun crime problem is a product of the ubiquity of weapons.

America's crime problem has very much to do with 1) the government's rampant violations of the supreme laws of the land and 2) what the People learn from that ("if the government can violate the law, why can't I?")  Guns are just a convenient tool.  To take them away would be to injure someone else.  And to say your can't have them would be to say that your life, liberty, or property is worth less than someone who wants to take yours from you.  That seems to simply promote survival of the fittest, where the only reason for humans to reluctantly take on government in the first place was to protect the rights of all.

The point is that to say that humanity is made up only of life is sickening.  Humanity is the full experience of life, liberty, and property, and to insist on life over all other things is to insist upon slavery.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #433 on: Mon, 26 July 2010, 23:40:54 »
Quote from: pex;206731

On religion, what kind of a god would give us faculties of reason and ethic and go on to have us contradict those gifts?

an excellent question, pex!

Offline gr1m

Religion
« Reply #434 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 00:22:35 »
At the risk of saying "But I've said that too!", what I say sometimes is that when people say things like God is cruel, they are applying human (i.e. insignificant) morals and ethics to a cosmic power - apples and oranges. What's cruel to us says nothing about said cosmic power's intent.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #435 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 01:22:04 »
Quote from: gr1m;206749
At the risk of saying "But I've said that too!", what I say sometimes is that when people say things like God is cruel, they are applying human (i.e. insignificant) morals and ethics to a cosmic power - apples and oranges. What's cruel to us says nothing about said cosmic power's intent.

Okay, but I think that point raises two questions:
1. in that case, what is the human interest (ie, perceived benefit) in listening to a supposed personal god who is either arbitrary, cruel, or simply inscrutable?
2. arent we applying human standards whenever we talk about god in any fashion? What other standards could we ever possibly apply on the topic? Even to imagine god as cruel, arbitrary, inscrutable, is to apply words and concepts from the human universe of experience. So we can only talk about god in our terms, even when we imagine him to be cruel and arbitrary etc. There's no other way to imagine god but on our terms.

Offline gr1m

Religion
« Reply #436 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 02:33:54 »
Quote from: wellington1869;206762
Okay, but I think that point raises two questions:
1. in that case, what is the human interest (ie, perceived benefit) in listening to a supposed personal god who is either arbitrary, cruel, or simply inscrutable?
There is none. That's why we prefer to think of him as a kindly old man who puts us in a room with our loved ones when we die.

Quote from: wellington1869;206762
2. arent we applying human standards whenever we talk about god in any fashion? What other standards could we ever possibly apply on the topic? Even to imagine god as cruel, arbitrary, inscrutable, is to apply words and concepts from the human universe of experience. So we can only talk about god in our terms, even when we imagine him to be cruel and arbitrary etc. There's no other way to imagine god but on our terms.
That's exactly my point. We cannot transcend the human universe of experience, therefore we cannot define what "God" is (is as done in religious books). If there is a "God", it's a cosmic power much higher than us and we cannot describe it.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #437 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 09:45:12 »
Quote from: gr1m;206749
when people say things like God is cruel, they are applying human (i.e. insignificant) morals and ethics to a cosmic power - apples and oranges.
I disagree.

Humans aren't being cruel when they fumigate an anthill. This is because ants are not persons with rights.

But it is profoundly wrong to euthanize a human being simply because he or she suffers from mental retardation.

The reason for this is because even a mentally-retarded human being has passed a crucial threshold; the level of intelligence and awareness of that being is sufficient as to endow that being with rights, among them the right not to be deprived of life except under the due process of law as the penalty for wrongdoing on his or her part.

The mass, spin, and electric charge of the electron do not change in response to the intelligence of the observer. Similarly, human beings don't turn into ants, no matter how advanced or intelligent the being looking at them may be.

Thus, the notion of a God for Whom it is right and proper to look on without interfering as a woman is raped is exactly and precisely as absurd as the notion of a God Who can create a rock that is too heavy for Him to lift. Both are logical contradictions.

Note, however, that this only applies to a personal God. The laws of mathematics and logic don't reach out to correct our homework assignments, and so if one uses the word "God" to refer to some abstract reality which simply supplies a definition of morality, then that can exist without interfering in human affairs in the same way.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 July 2010, 09:47:30 by quadibloc »

Offline pikapika

Religion
« Reply #438 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 10:03:48 »
I must admit i haven't read the whole thread

but there's a contradiction i really don't get with ultra religious people. they say they have god's commandement, and they say this or that is an offence to god.

but well how one can be so religious and guess what god could want or think, seems to me like a kind of blasphemy as if those people were almost at the "level" of god (excuse my porr english)

if god exists, which i wouldn't bet on, he must be so out of reach on every aspect that we human should not even dare to understand or guess his thoughts

in fact religions feel to me as a kind of blasphemy, if i do not consider all the historical and social aspects of religion

Offline gr1m

Religion
« Reply #439 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 12:36:16 »
Quote from: quadibloc;206815
Thus, the notion of a God for Whom it is right and proper to look on without interfering as a woman is raped is exactly and precisely as absurd as the notion of a God Who can create a rock that is too heavy for Him to lift. Both are logical contradictions.

You're doing it again. You're calling the notion of a "God" absurd because he doesn't adhere to the same morals as you. Rape is definitely wrong and despicable but tell me, if you were a cosmic power, would your number one priority be stopping an event that is so insignificant?

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #440 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 19:40:27 »
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the  same tree.
 Albert  Einstein

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
Religion
« Reply #441 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 21:41:48 »
Quote from: gr1m;206838
would your number one priority be stopping an event that is so insignificant?
If one is so omnipotent and omniscient that one is aware of the fall of every sparrow, priority does not enter into it.

Any moral being would have to acknowledge the worth of human life. If, as depicted in the Judeo-Christian tradition, God's chief concern is that each intelligent being, at its death, is in an emotional state compatible with respecting the rights of others, and with accepting the universe as He ordered it, then preventing innocent individuals of good will from experiencing a crime of psychological torture that could lead them to despair of the existence of justice in the cosmos, that could stunt all emotions save fear and hate... would be a high priority.

Although, given a vast cosmos perhaps filled with intelligent life, "high" could still mean a position on the list with a high ordinal value - but as I noted, that would be no challenge for God.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 22:56:29 »
Quote from: gr1m;206838
You're doing it again. You're calling the notion of a "God" absurd because he doesn't adhere to the same morals as you. Rape is definitely wrong and despicable but tell me, if you were a cosmic power, would your number one priority be stopping an event that is so insignificant?

if the god claims to be a personal god, as the judeo-christian god does, then yea, i'd expect him to care, and if he didnt, i'd wonder about his motives, his omniscience, and even his supposed goodness.

There are two sides to that of course; there's the question about whether we can ever understand god's motives (as was the response to Job's question in the bible) and there is the question of the human response, a human being can decide that god's response was in fact not good enough, that he may as well take his chances with cold natural forces, and have an equal or better chance there, and so decide - on human terms, indeed - to stop believing in god.  I think thats always mankind's perogative to make that rational decision. Its indeed a human decision and has no bearing on whether god exists outside that dimension or not (ie, who cares if he does?).

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #443 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 18:27:09 »
You know what made the whole thing irrelevant for me?  I was pretty comfortable in the notion that it was unlikely that I would find myself being "judged" by some other superior being in the afterlife, but given that my own idea of hell pretty much consists of being stuck in a repetitive loop for all eternity (presented in a short story by Stephen King once, I think, having to do with deja vu) I realized that the harshest critic I could ever endure (God or no God) was myself - and that if I should be doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over then I ought to think carefully about what I would consider a mistake - as opposed to some outside GOD evaluation.  

I am still of the mind though that what we do matters in a grander scale.  Kind of like the traditional understanding of Karma.   It is through that filter that I take some of the sermons in at the local church when I am in the mood.  Does that make me religious?  

Did anybody else ever watch that lady on tv who speaks like 22 languages and has late night show on where she translates the bible from all these different perspectives?  Pastor Scott or something?  She's utterly dizzying to watch but if you can follow what she's talking about at all its actually pretty interesting.  

As to God's motives and the issues of stopping horrible things from happening: to the first who can know?  and the second is pretty much covered under the concept of free will isn't it?  If you subscribe to the traditional judeo-christian idea of God, then wasn't the whole point of the decision to love God the fact that you had the option not to?  I imagine, now that I think about it, that there would be little point in creating life that you would then control in terms of such micromanagement as preventing rape, especially intelligent life, because then wouldn't that defeat the purpose?   On the other hand, there are some out there who would say that such tragedies and horrible things HAVE been prevented by divine intervention, though that would be usually in the case of a particular individual rather than in general.

Brings to mind my friend who is about the most employable person to walk the earth.  She's brilliant and dedicated and hard working and did not get the job she wanted most in the summer of 2001 but offers from all others she applied for.  The odds favored her being hired very heavily and yet she was not.  Turns out, that job would have put her on the 100th floor of the WTC that fall.  I find that significant, since she is also never late or absent from things.  Gave me goosebumps when she told me too.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 18:39:41 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;207180
As to God's motives and the issues of stopping horrible things from happening: to the first who can know?  and the second is pretty much covered under the concept of free will isn't it?  If you subscribe to the traditional judeo-christian idea of God, then wasn't the whole point of the decision to love God the fact that you had the option not to?  I imagine, now that I think about it, that there would be little point in creating life that you would then control in terms of such micromanagement as preventing rape, especially intelligent life, because then wouldn't that defeat the purpose?   On the other hand, there are some out there who would say that such tragedies and horrible things HAVE been prevented by divine intervention, though that would be usually in the case of a particular individual rather than in general.

According to Judeo-Christian mythology, God is all knowing and present everywhere. In order for him to know everything, and to be present everywhere, he must be in/know the future. If God knows what happens in the future, then it means that the future can only happen in one way (i.e. the way God has seen). So clearly free will cannot co-exist with the definition of God presented in the bible, because what you are going to do has already been decided in effect. Unless, of course, God is wrong, but you wouldn't want to tell that to a Christian...

The only way around this is if we have a parallel universe system, where every possible possibility is played out, and God knows the outcomes of all possible iterations of all situations. But this isn't really free will, because your decision on one universe is meaningless given the the infinite number of other universes where you do something else.

Christianity really wasn't designed to be analyzed...
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 July 2010, 18:45:07 by ch_123 »

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #445 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 18:42:38 »
Quote from: ch_123;207184
Christianity really wasn't designed to be analyzed...

LOL -Now that is signature worthy quote...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Religion
« Reply #446 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 18:48:11 »
A religion teacher in my secondary school (who was a "Brother" of a Catholic order) once said of the bible something the effect of "These are all just analogies and metaphors, you're not meant to take them literally."

Perhaps the wisest defense of Catholicism I've ever heard.

Offline gr1m

Religion
« Reply #447 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 19:31:43 »
Quote from: wellington1869;206970
i'd wonder about his motives, his omniscience, and even his supposed goodness.

Which again is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Since the Abrahamic view of God is riddled with so many logic flaws, then "God" is not the Abrahamic one. He is not good, he is not bad, he is a cosmic power and not some criminal to be judged in a human court. What you and quadibloc are doing is taking the description of God straight from the Bible and claiming because that description is contradicted daily, God is not omniscient, good or powerful. What I'm saying is there might be more to it (or less to it); after all, humans wrote the Bible and not God.

Offline wellington1869

Religion
« Reply #448 on: Wed, 28 July 2010, 23:01:59 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;207180
given that my own idea of hell pretty much consists of being stuck in a repetitive loop for all eternity (presented in a short story by Stephen King once, I think, having to do with deja vu)

it was the greek vision of hell too :)

I am still of the mind though that what we do matters in a grander scale.  Kind of like the traditional understanding of Karma.  

me too; i find the karma concept much more accessible to reason; as a philosophy of morality

It is through that filter that I take some of the sermons in at the local church when I am in the mood.  Does that make me religious?  

perhaps, depends how you define religious. If the word can include systems of morality generally, then one need no longer rely on 'faith' as exclusive of reason. In that case plenty of secularists were religious in that sense too. Its just a word; depends on how we define it.

Did anybody else ever watch that lady on tv who speaks like 22 languages and has late night show on where she translates the bible from all these different perspectives?  Pastor Scott or something?

trivia: Did you know she was a former porn-star? :) Its true, look it up. I think her full name now is melissa scott.
her wikipedia entry is interesting (married another kooky televangelist, from whom she cribbed all his notes on religion).

She's utterly dizzying to watch but if you can follow what she's talking about at all its actually pretty interesting.

i've watched her a few times, fascinated as you were, but in the end I actually decided that she never finishes a point that she starts; she just goes on "interrupting herself" and therefore never gets to complete a thought - but i also think that is by design (ie, cuz she doesnt have any full thoughts to finish, i decided). but yea, her method is fascinating to watch, and the continuous stream of tidbits she throws out, are sometimes interesting unto themselves, even if they never contribute towards forming a cohesive complete thought in the end.

As to God's motives and the issues of stopping horrible things from happening: to the first who can know?  and the second is pretty much covered under the concept of free will isn't it?  If you subscribe to the traditional judeo-christian idea of God, then wasn't the whole point of the decision to love God the fact that you had the option not to?

i think christian philosophy on this question is very very murky. Historically from what i understand christianity has gone back and forth on the question of whether  you need reason to justify faith; wehtehr you need evidence to justify it, or whether faith stands 'alone' not requiring the other two. Strong figures in christian philosohpy have argued one way or another. Christianity thus tends to have it both ways as a convenience, if reason can be appealed to to 'open your heart' (code for blind faith), then they'll appeal to it; if it cant be, then they wont. Of course thats neither here nor there, but that contradiction  doesnt seem to have slowed down the christian juggernaut.

Brings to mind my friend who is about the most employable person to walk the earth.  She's brilliant and dedicated and hard working and did not get the job she wanted most in the summer of 2001 but offers from all others she applied for.  The odds favored her being hired very heavily and yet she was not.  Turns out, that job would have put her on the 100th floor of the WTC that fall.  I find that significant, since she is also never late or absent from things.  Gave me goosebumps when she told me too.

if you think about it tho, in the course of our daily lives, we probably 'escape death' a hundred times, and its only cuz we dont know about it that we think its not happening.

Offline Voixdelion

Religion
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 00:29:06 »
Quote from: wellington1869;207286

trivia: Did you know she was a former porn-star? :) Its true, look it up. I think her full name now is melissa scott.

i've watched her a few times, fascinated as you were, but in the end I actually decided that she never finishes a point that she starts; she just goes on "interrupting herself" and therefore never gets to complete a thought - but i also think that is by design (ie, cuz she doesnt have any full thoughts to finish, i decided). but yea, her method is fascinating to watch, and the continuous stream of tidbits she throws out, are sometimes interesting unto themselves, even if they never contribute towards forming a cohesive complete thought in the end. ..

Really?  Fascinating! And yes, Melissa - I think is her name... And I think I know why she keeps interrupting herself (I've done that before when trying to impart the tale of some epiphany I came to...) I used to give up on her getting to the point too, except as it happens, once I was watching when she actually did. That particular time I actually watched her complete a thought (but the beginning of it must have been on another show, because it took half an hour to get where she was going) and she managed to illustrate how the form of paragraph and structure that the Bible has now is based on language that has that, whereas the original Aramaic did not, and by altering the position of this one thought/sentence from the closing of one book/chapter to the beginning of the next (or vice versa - not sure which it was) which made logical sense to do also, it thusly altered drastically the meaning of both passages to something that was in my opinion much more palatable than the way it currently stood.  It seems the basic premise of most of her studies is how the meaning of certain passages change through the nuance of vocabulary in different languages, and the reason she keeps interrupting herself is because its very hard to go through from point a to b - its more like a1, a2, a3, to b1, a4, a5, to b2, a6, b1, b2 to c1 etc. and then comparing all the different possible paths.  It's kinda like watching a hummingbird, especially when she starts running back and forth from white board to dictionary to bible and podium...

Quote from: wellington1869;207286

if you think about it tho, in the course of our daily lives, we probably  'escape death' a hundred times, and its only cuz we dont know about it  that we think its not happening.

True dat.  Reminds me of a little cartoon someone sent me once where a guy gets hit in the head with a small rock and he turns heavenward and curses God/Jesus for letting him come to harm, and in the next frame we see God/Jesus about 20x larger than the guy standing behind him arms outstretched to shield him from a shower of boulders looking back over his shoulder apologizing for the little pebble which got by.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 July 2010, 00:31:08 by Voixdelion »