Author Topic: Gigabyte GK-K8000 spotted  (Read 3048 times)

Offline cfishy

Gigabyte GK-K8000 spotted
« on: Thu, 08 May 2008, 22:55:17 »
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9419/gk_k8000_keyboard_up_close_and_personal/index.html

Seems like gigabyte still havn't finalized the design for production. I guess it's not coming anytime soon.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 May 2008, 23:23:36 »
I saw this article earlier today and I am kind of digging the design.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 06:06:59 »
not finalized yet, huh...I guess it's not ugly enough.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 06:29:10 »
Quote from: ashort;4546
not finalized yet, huh...I guess it's not ugly enough.

True, they could still change the orange keys to muck-brown.  Maybe add an extra inch of unnecessary plastic around the frame to waste even more desk-space.  As long as it has "gamer" stamped on it in big holographic lettering it'll still fly off the shelves.

Offline IBI

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 08:06:04 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;4547
True, they could still change the orange keys to muck-brown.  Maybe add an extra inch of unnecessary plastic around the frame to waste even more desk-space.  As long as it has "gamer" stamped on it in big holographic lettering it'll still fly off the shelves.

I like the look of them myself, if they ship with brown or blue cherries I'd be strongly tempted to get one.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 17:56:12 »
I don't particularly like the way it looks either, and the enter key is all wrong for me.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 May 2008, 18:49:10 »
I'm fine with the way it looks, and I read on the gigabyte site it will come in all flavours of 104/105/106/107/109 keys versions, I'm sure they'll be a standard british layout among them,and therefore a more standard american layout too.

The orange keys make them stand out, which is better since they're not standard. The keyboard seems to be made for the traveling gamer though as it has an intergrated sound card to send music to the headphones more clearly. And it stores all the macros within the keyboard so you can just bring your keyboard along without dragging the computer and still be fairly comfortable, kinda like how razer kept settings for their mice, which is a neat factor if you don't enjoy more resources being taken up by unnecessary macro drivers.

I have my doubts that this keyboard will have anything other than black stem cherry's as this seems to be the most common and therefore probably the cheapest.

At the end of the day many of you who do not like the orange keys could interchange them with old cherry keyboards keycaps.

Anyway i'd rather have a taller keyboard than a wider keyboard, the g15 is too wide for many dests whereas with more people moving to lcd screens there is abit more space in front of the keyboard.

If you really can't stand it however, just get a Raptor K1, Steelkeys 6G or 7G for key anti-ghosting/n-key rollover support, or if you have a lots of money and very little space go for HHKB Pro2.

Macros are useful for repeated tasks, but if i get the keyboard i'll probably set it to run media keys and for macros to run quick chat dialogs. But the keyboard does handle over a hundred profiles, which will be mostly worthless to me as my memory will only handle a few profiles (namely(chat mode, windows mode, graphics mode, warcraft mode, etc) theres a limit, but only 3 profiles will be stored on the board which will be more than enough for me and with 10 macros per profile i doubt i'll fill each button up.

Still macros are still a gimic in the end, I do not find volume keys to be a gimic so setting a couple macro buttons to control volume, a few buttons to do some really common stuff like buying weapons or simple order chats (e.g. defend the base!!!), or best yet insult enermy button there really aren't much uses for macros.

I still like the keyboard and like the way its trying to innovate abit more than what razer and logitech are doing which are copying the crowd (led lit keys with antighosting and software based macro) and improving but keeping it cheap as possible (membrane keys)

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Keyboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Keyboard&ProductID=2789&ProductName=GK-K8000

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Keyboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ClassValue=Keyboard&ProductID=2789&ProductName=GK-K8000
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad