Author Topic: Your top 3 keyboards, and why....and as an added bonus...your dream keyboard.  (Read 25951 times)

Offline secularzarathustra

Your top 3 keyboards, and why....and as an added bonus...your dream keyboard.
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 19:18:44 »
Top three boards:

1) IBM Model M Space Saver
2) Northgate Omni Key 101
3) IBM Model M

Dream Boards:

1) IBM Model M15: I don't care how much it is, I'm getting the next one on ebay!

2) IBM Model M Space Saver hardwired for Dvorak...if only there were someway to mod one of mine...
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 19:26:13 »
secularzarathustra: Well, it's not a SpaceSaver, but you might order a custom PS/2 board from Unicomp - they can do layout reprogramming on the PS/2 models (but not USB, for some reason.)

Offline secularzarathustra

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 19:56:06 »
Hmm, I didn't know they could do a fully customized board...might be why it's called a "customizer".

I think you just found my wife's xmas gift to me :)

Thanks for the info
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 20:01:50 »
The only thing that might be a problem is the keycaps. But, for a $10 upcharge, you can order a board with blank black keycaps. (Which, on a Customizer/SpaceSaver 104, is still $50 less than a Das 3 Ultimate. ;))

Offline qk6339zmdm

IBM - before buckling springs
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 20:11:29 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;13061
Wasn't the 3278's keyboard one of the first buckling spring keyboards? :confused:

(As well as the 5251, IIRC.)

Maybe you're right - I remember the 3278's kb being quieter than the model M though.  IBM patented the buckling spring in 1978 but made the Selectrics since the early 1960s.  What was it using before BS, was it microswitches?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 20:12:29 »
Some sort of horribly complicated setup involving gold contacts. I had downloaded a 3277 repair manual, that had diagrams, IIRC.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 21:58:21 »
Quote from: lowpoly;13050
I have a 90 degree mini usb adapter. It came with my Motorola Razr, I think. The cable goes to the left with that.

Nice!  Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find one from a Motorola supplier.  That would be extremely useful.

EDIT:  I think I found it:  the Motorola SKN6182:

They're on eBay for US$4 shipped.  Thanks again.  Man, I love this forum.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 22:45:10 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;13155
2) IBM Model M Space Saver hardwired for Dvorak...if only there were someway to mod one of mine...

That's not too hard to do. Look here how to attach a new programmable controller:

Converting a Toshiba T5200 laptop keyboard to USB

It also does PS/2 and even supports a second layer through function key.

Quote from: megarat;13177

That's the one. :)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 23:34:07 »
Quote from: megarat;13177
Nice!  Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find one from a Motorola supplier.  That would be extremely useful.

Show Image

They're on eBay for US$4 shipped.  Thanks again.  Man, I love this forum.

That would work great for this set up:

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 23:56:42 »
That's where I use it, except that I have a Toshiba P20.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 01:44:57 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;13158
Hmm, I didn't know they could do a fully customized board...might be why it's called a "customizer".

I think you just found my wife's xmas gift to me :)

Thanks for the info

I wish they could customize my a*s a Model M15!  :)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 02:36:59 »
:p

Anyway, the programmable controller method has one issue - you lose the numpad functionality.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 02:43:59 »
How does that work originally?

With the prog. controller you can define a meta key like caps lock and put all the keys you want on the second layer.

And the keys will be re-ordered for Dvorak, probably re-ordering the numpad as well.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 02:47:11 »
Shift-Scroll Lock turns on Num Lock. The numeric keys are in the same place as the main keyboard, just like a laptop.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 02:59:30 »
Ah, OK. That wouldn't work with the controller I suggested. You could just define a meta key, similar to the HHKB. And put the numpad where it is in the original layout. But you'd have to press the meta key while typing on the numpad.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 16:08:16 »
Quote from: xsphat;13182
That would work great for this set up:

Show Image

That's exactly how I use it.  And if you re-read my post, you'll see that I call that method, "Xsphat-style".  :)

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 17:25:31 »
Quote from: megarat;13296
I call that method, "Xsphat-style".  :)

I'm fatter ... I mean, flattered. Thanks.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 02 December 2008, 19:30:22 »
Quote from: xsphat;13182
Show Image

Both of those are now gone from the xsphat household, correct?

Offline cchan

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:12:55 »
#1 favourite: IBM 1391401. I have four of these (unfortunately, only two of which I can find right now) and they are the most solid keyboards I have ever had the pleasure of using. I'd probably like one even if it used rubber domes - it's just that well constructed and I never feel like I'm going to break the board no matter how hard i type.
#2: Cherry ML4100. This is the first night I'm using it, but it feels pretty nice. I'm not sure I like the sound of the switches though.
#3: MacBook keyboard. Hands-down the best laptop board I've used. I have a Dell AT101 coming soon though, which is probably going to knock the Cherry to #3 and kick the MacBook keyboard off the list.

My dream keyboard: Model M spacesaver, stealth black with black-lettered keycaps, buckling springs, and a Trackpoint IV. So far, I'm not missing the tenkey on the ML4100, but I'm not sure I like the compressed layout all that much.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:19:49 »
I liked the Cherry over the Dell, but the Dell is nice.  I would imagine that you might leave the Cherry at #2 and the Mac 'board would drop off the list.  If you want a 'board that rivals the build quality of the Model M, try a Northgate/CVT.  My Northgate Evolution feels noticably more rugged and solid than my Ms; it also weighs significantly more.  The whole case is steel with a plastic cowling over the top, you know, to make it look pretty.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:37:59 »
I'm probably speaking too soon since my keyboard try-outs arent yet over, but so far it appears my 2 favorite boards are "old-school":
1) 1391401
2) any white alps board (smk 88 is what I'm going to own in a few days)
3) no third spot yet. There are a lot of boards I like but dont know if i'd call them a 'favorite'.

my dream board doesnt exist. It would be a 1391401 with the arrow cluster sawed out, with a shorter spacebar, usb, winkeys.  At some point I'll probably try (no doubt unsuccessfully) to fabricate my own version of this with parts from unicomp and old M boards.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline cchan

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 06:59:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;13606
I liked the Cherry over the Dell, but the Dell is nice.  I would imagine that you might leave the Cherry at #2 and the Mac 'board would drop off the list.  If you want a 'board that rivals the build quality of the Model M, try a Northgate/CVT.  My Northgate Evolution feels noticably more rugged and solid than my Ms; it also weighs significantly more.  The whole case is steel with a plastic cowling over the top, you know, to make it look pretty.

Thing is though... Any Northgate board is going to be pretty rare and followingly expensive. Model M's are a dime a dozen from people that don't know what they're selling. "Old annoying loud IBM keyboard... free." Anyone leet enough to have a northgate knows that they're rare and what price they command. :P
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline eugenius

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 10:56:16 »
Top 3:
1. Ergoplus G80-5000 + Numeric keypad G80-5700
2. Old model M (I don't know the series, it's in storage)
3. Cherry 4100

My dream board would be an Ergoplus modified like this:

Required:
1. Fully programmable
2. Symmetric (both parts equal size)  - see 3
3. On the left side instead of the anoying windows keys, two columns of programmable keys P1-P10
4. Layout mode switch with 3+ layouts stored onboard
5. USB connection with detachable cable and two strategically placed usb ports for the numpad.
6. Black

Optional:
7. Blue backlit with no light bleed between the keys. (I know I'm getting unreasonable here ... :) )

Special mention for the thinking man's gaming setup: Cherry 4100 + Razer Salmosa. :)
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 19:57:13 »
On the topic of dream keyboards:  One thing I really remembered -- and loved -- about the keyboard that came bundled with the NeXT cube, was that there was a thin rubber "bumper" around the outside edge.  That thing was terrific, it was a lovely touch, made they keyboard really comfortable to move around.

(Of course, the rubber degrades over time, so some of those keyboards today have bumpers that are pretty gnarly looking, but it's the thought that counts.)

Does anyone else has a fondness for a certain gee-whiz appointment on a keyboard that doesn't overall affect its typing experience?

Offline cchan

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 21:01:17 »
Quote from: megarat
Does anyone else has a fondness for a certain gee-whiz appointment on a keyboard that doesn't overall affect its typing experience?

Does overall brick-sxxthouse build quality count? I love really really sturdy keyboards I could use as weapons.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 21:05:36 »
Quote from: megarat;13807

sure, as long as it looks neat :)  I'm as superficial as the next guy.
Actually the only accessory i've really appreciated on the new keyboards is backlighted keys. I dont really use anything else they stick on there (even the media keys for which I have autohotkey shortcuts). The calculator button was a nice touch but I've since made an AHK macro for it too.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 05 December 2008, 21:58:01 »
I don't have a top three; the keyboards I like, I like equally. My dream keyboard would be understated and discreet, much like a Filco or HHKB, matte black with black or no key legends. I haven't decided on the layout or type of switch.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Thought I'd dig this one up to see what people dream keyboards would be...

I'll hold off judgement of my three favourite keyboards until I get my Blue Cherry Filco, and possibly get a Happy Hacking keyboard later this year, but my dream keyboard would have to be a Model M spacesaver, with Model F style buckling-springs, a Trackpoint IV and a HHKB-style USB hub and detachable connector. Black keys, industrial grey finish :D

Offline itlnstln

I would like a Filco with the same finsh as the charcoal grey Realforce.  I would also like the textured keys the Realforce has.  Some understated volume controls would be nice, too.

Offline itlnstln

A G80-1800 would be nice, too.  I love that layout.

Offline wellington1869

a round red ESC key would be the bees knees!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Just like -

I read somewhere that pulling one of those things would drive a plastic spike through the main power line that fed the mainframe and it's constituent parts. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's a pretty awesome idea nonetheless.

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: ripster;97652
Welly,  since I think you teach writing or something you must have a good reason for "bees knees" a phrase even my Grandma wouldn't use:

lol, no i teach history. I picked up 'bees knees' (and a variety of other 1930's to 50's phraseology -- "Heavens to Murgatroyd!") from my ex-gf who was, for some reason, really into old-timey movies (and vintage clothing).  ;D

It does endear me to the older generation tho, which has its advantages sometimes.  An older person who likes you tends to give you free stuff. :)

Offline itlnstln

Quote from: wellington1869;97668
for some reason, really into old-timey movies (and vintage clothing). ;D

Shopping for her must have been fairly inexpensive.  I would imagine she shopped the second-hand and thrift stores.

Offline chimera15

1. siig minitouch with real alps white sliders.
2. siig minitouch with real alps sliders with dampers,
3. siig minitouch with fake alps sliders

Dreamboard:

black japanese Siig minitouch/filco version with blank letter keys, programmable macro buttons, true n-key rollover, red illuminated lettering for function/arrow/page navigation/number keys, with a red escape key, and  blue alps sliders. ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 14:11:30 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline itlnstln

Quote from: ripster;97686
Don't call me "Dear".

And I'll never give you anything for free. Well, maybe a web link or two.

Are you saying you're old?

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: itlnstln;97696
Are you saying you're old?

...and grumpy, evidently ;D

Don't call me "Dear".

Can I call you shirley?  ;)

Offline itlnstln

Quote from: wellington1869;97698
Can I call you shirley? ;)

Yes you Mae.

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: ripster;97700
When I need a "Big Button" keyboard somebody shoot me.

lol i feel that way too.   hell at that point I may off myself with a "Big Trigger" gun.

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/

Man, you sick and need professional help.

Offline itlnstln

Quote from: ripster;97700

I like big butt(on)s, and I cannot lie...

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: itlnstln;97706

lols. I think you're in a Friday state of mind :)

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/

You all sick.

You'd like my song, Boogie on Reggae Woman though.

Buy my record and you be da sunshine of my life.

It's FRIDAY!

Offline itlnstln

I am so f*cking bored.  My new red Esc key was the highlight of my day (so far; until the GF and I get together later ;) ).  I just want to go home.  I have nothing to do on Fridays.  If I have something to do on a Friday, something went horribly wrong at work.  I pretty much sit around all day posting on GH and playing Sudoku on my phone.  Lame.

Offline itlnstln

"Sunshine of my Life" is one my all-time favorite Stevie songs.

Offline IBI

Quote from: wellington1869;97668
lol, no i teach history. I picked up 'bees knees' (and a variety of other 1930's to 50's phraseology -- "Heavens to Murgatroyd!") from my ex-gf who was, for some reason, really into old-timey movies (and vintage clothing).  ;D

Sometimes an old fashioned expression is an elegant sufficiency.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline itlnstln

Quote from: ripster;97732
That IS sad - don't mention it to your girlfriend either.

I don't need to.  My GF is much nicer to look at than a red Esc key.  She kisses better, too.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
1.  1391401.  Reliable, consistent, available, and affordable.  Still an excellent tool.

2.  Focus FK-2001.  Had some great memories with Focus keyboards from my old college's surplus-goods-sales shop.  Lovely feel, very nice layout (sacrificing Right Shift is a fair tradeoff for big backspace AND big enter)

3.  Customizer 104.  I really thought it would be my dream keyboard, but the fit-and-finish issues hurt, as does the feeling the way it's built isn't as durable as the 1391401.

My dream board?  A Sun Type 5 layout with programmable keys for those which aren't in the 104-key standard.  Buckling spring keys.  Two USB ports.  Red LEDs.  And a small trackball that snaps on to one or both sides.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Without any constraint, my favourite keyboard is currently the Cherry G80-3000. That may change as it had in the past.

However, my favourite keyboard is never free from any constraint. My favourite at work is not my my favourite at home, and vice versa. At any particular time, my favourite keyboad has to satisfy: key feel, key sound, and environment tolerance to noise produced by keys. For example, if at home, I like the Customizer 104 and the Cherry G80-3000, I cannot use them at work, and therefore neither is going to be my favourite keyboard there.  

At home, there are time when my favourite keyboard is a rubber dome. When my daughter is having a light sleep or on days following a migraine episode, a rubber dome is a nice to have.

Offline cchan

hmm, I know this will change soon.

#1: Cherry MX8100. Oodles of programmable keys, integrated touchpad, and I can get used to the layout pretty easily.

#2: Cherry MX3000 with blues. It's just fun to type on with the clicks. And standard layout is nice too.

#3: hmm, this takes some thinking.

I'm going to have to say IBM Model M4. I just love the layout and how it's just that little bit smaller than a tenkeyless.

My dreamboard would be... Frameless IBM Model M4 with Cherry browns, native USB, right Alt under comma, arrows on Fn+IJKL, and a touchpad where the arrow keys are. And throw in a Windows key too. Oh and, the editing block rearranged this way:

Code: [Select]

|--------|
|    | PU|
|Del |---|
|    | PD|
|--------|
|Home|End|
|--------|
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2009, 21:45:34 by cchan »