Author Topic: Is it a good idea to use a Sugru-like self-molding plastic for USB strengthening  (Read 2166 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Well the title says it all

I'm thinking of using sugru-like self-molding plastics while closing up 60% keyboards that will go into aluminium cases

The theory is, when the plastic molds, it should make the USB unbreakable, while keeping the PCB/keyboard removable (I think it should slide off without much resistance, but I intend not to open the keyboard when I apply this process)
On default, the usb-ports have 1-2mm wiggle space at best in these cases, otherwise the port opening would probably cause issues, but if the PCB will always go into the same case, it seems like a good idea to fill the empty spaces with plastic, I'm also open to alternative material suggestions, I was using plastic putty before

I haven't worked with sugru before, would appreciate some advice/input
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 02:43:10 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
I'm not sure if I understand exactly where you're going to put it but if you surround the exterior of the female usb connector you need to be careful that the tabs which act as catches to hold the plug remain free to work as intended.

Offline KHAANNN

I'm going to put a bit of molding material before I insert the PCB, let the mold shape itself while the PCB is inserted, screw the PCB in, make sure everything works as expected

So you understood correctly

It's possible for the material to enter the female connector, or hinder the hinges, I'm hoping the material is solid enough to not enter and using the connector before the final solidification will ensure that it works in the end

Another concern is removability, the PCB/keyboard slides into the 60% cases, I'm hoping when the mold gets solidified, it will slide out similarly
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
From what I understand, Sugru is more like rubber than plastic. I think people have described it as silicone caulk mixed with cornstarch

Offline KHAANNN

From what I understand, Sugru is more like rubber than plastic. I think people have described it as silicone caulk mixed with cornstarch
That's very interesting, in that case, I'm guessing it will definitely get removed easily, yet it might not be worth it, depending on how soft the end result is

I'm guessing the added section needs to be entirely solid in order to prevent damage in case the cable gets pulled sideways while inserted to the keyboard, otherwise the solders will just break as they would before

A 3d-printed low-profile slip-on to the female connector started making more sense, it's much harder to get right tho

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
If I understand what you want to do, I think a 3D printed part might be better.
With all the good 3D work I see around this forum, I'm sure you can find someone to help you with the modeling

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Sugru hardens like rubber. But it will not readily separate from anodized aluminum, which has a porous surface.

I would recommend first lining the area with something slippery (wax paper?), then you should get the result you're looking for.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
If you want to strengthen the USB port, wouldn't hot glue work?

Offline KHAANNN

Sugru hardens like rubber. But it will not readily separate from anodized aluminum, which has a porous surface.

I would recommend first lining the area with something slippery (wax paper?), then you should get the result you're looking for.

That's a good suggestion/input, thanks

If you want to strengthen the USB port, wouldn't hot glue work?

I can strengthen the USB port, but with this mod, my objective is to connect it to the case, so the case absorbs the force too

Without this mod, a pulled cable will probably still dislodge the usb port
With this mod, a pulled cable should pull the case, without damaging the usb port significantly

The case is also pretty heavy