Author Topic: Matrix to staggered  (Read 3150 times)

Offline jmchargue

Matrix to staggered
« on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:37:40 »
Is it really true that once you type on a matrix keyboard, you can't go back to staggered? I want to go matrix for the ergonomics, but I still want to be able to type on a laptop...

Offline Linkbane

Re: Matrix to staggered
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 16:11:27 »
There is literally the exact same topic posted in less than a day before this.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 23:26:15 »
Is it really true that once you type on a matrix keyboard, you can't go back to staggered? I want to go matrix for the ergonomics, but I still want to be able to type on a laptop...
Symmetrical staggered i think can be solution,but make own :rolleyes:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 06:35:23 »

It's not that you CAN'T type on a staggered any more, just that you don't want to. Vertically staggered columns are even better than matrix, though. I keep saying this about different aspects of changing boards / layouts, but the more different it is, the easier it is to retain your old skills on a normal board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jmchargue

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 13:51:19 »
It's not that you CAN'T type on a staggered any more, just that you don't want to.

Alright, I can work with that.

Vertically staggered columns are even better than matrix, though.

Is the Ergodox considered vertically staggered? I mean, I can see that it is a little, but is it enough to really not be considered matrix?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 19:20:00 »
Yes, the ErgoDox is vertically staggered, and no I wouldn't consider it a matrix board. I find myself still able to type on staggered boards, but like Oobly said above, I really don't like it when I do.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 14:54:14 »
You can go back and forth without much issue... There are some inconsistencies.. but it's not like you will forget...

As yourself, because you've learned to drive a car, have you forgotten how to ride a bicycle?

When you learned to use a Mac, did you forget how to use windows?

Offline jmchargue

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 15:01:31 »

Haha, this is a great analogy, because while I didn't really forget how to use windows, I have very little patience for it. Alright, pretty set on (attempting to) trade my HHP2 for an Ergodox.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 22:52:59 »

Haha, this is a great analogy, because while I didn't really forget how to use windows, I have very little patience for it. Alright, pretty set on (attempting to) trade my HHP2 for an Ergodox.

Offline spremino

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 06:55:56 »
Like some musicians can play more than one instrument, likewise I guess that you could type one more than one kind of keyboard.

From what I have read, the bigger the difference between tools, the easier is to keep muscle memory, because there is less risk of muscle confusion.

EDIT: Made text clearer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:18:39 by spremino »
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline yasuo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 08:43:39 »
Like some musicians can play more than one instrument, likewise I guess that you could type one more than one kind of keyboard.

From what I have read, the bigger the difference between layouts, the easier is to keep muscle memory, because there is less risk of muscle confusion.
For the layout i think true :)

for  staggered i not sure, traditional qwerty quite bother for me :) my left hand like poor :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2014, 00:33:47 by yasuo »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline spremino

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:22:44 »

for  staggered i not sure, traditional qwerty quite bother for me :) my left hand like death :)

When I wrote "layout", I meant the way the keys are placed (that is: Maltron versus staggered keyboard) not the characters (that is Qwerty versus Dvorak).

I have edited my comment to make things clearer.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline yasuo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:41:29 »

for  staggered i not sure, traditional qwerty quite bother for me :) my left hand like death :)

When I wrote "layout", I meant the way the keys are placed (that is: Maltron versus staggered keyboard) not the characters (that is Qwerty versus Dvorak).

I have edited my comment to make things clearer.
yeah i know if made instruments staggered :)) any 4 halves:old asymmetric qwerty,symmetric,matrix,columnar :)