Author Topic: Key cap suggestions for my Filco's (also, oily hands)  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Boyiee

Key cap suggestions for my Filco's (also, oily hands)
« on: Sun, 18 December 2011, 02:25:21 »
Looking into getting different caps for my filco's but I'm really not experienced in that department and am looking for suggestions. I would love to try a new color scheme, but that's not necessary. I'm very willing to join a group order if there are orders going on of a suggested cap.

Also, I'm getting tired of wiping down/cleaning my key caps from my oily hands. I should be switching to simplegreen soon for cleaning, but does anyone have any knowledge of keycaps that will react better to my hands, if there are any even?
Filco MJ2 Red 104Filco Blue 87Deck Legend Clear

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 09:42:17 »
I got Ducky PBT replacements from tankguys back when they had them in stock.  They show grease prints far less (if at all) compared to the Filco ABS keys.

ripster got a set too... his pics are buried in some wiki somewhere.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Boyiee

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:10:15 »
The wiki's are great and I have been looking through them, but I was looking for more opinions I guess.

Offline N8N

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 18:55:01 »
if you have naturally oily skin maybe you should be looking for PBT caps instead of ABS.  There's a GB going on now for some dye subbed PBTs.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?24994-dyesub-104-87-group-round-1

I'm trying to resist the temptation because i'm swimming in cool keycaps now and don't really want to be that guy who has to buy another keyboard just to have something to put another set of keycaps on...  (but then again, I don't have a board with blacks or reds... not that I think I'd like either, but still.  Well, I actually do have a Wyse terminal board, but no way to use it.)
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Boyiee

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 December 2011, 19:23:14 »
I saw that group buy and was considering it, but I feel I'd be overdoing it.

Quote from: ripster;474070
My sig is 95% correct.  At LEAST.

I'll be honest, it was at least 95 if not 96% helpful.

Offline Boyiee

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 December 2011, 03:46:47 »
So, any advice on keycaps that don't get as oily as my filco's? Would pbt's be a better choice? I didn't see it in the wiki's... also do white keycaps show oils/dirt really bad or no different than black?

I'm not talking about shine, thats completely different. I'm talking about oils from your hands showing up on the keys and constantly needing to be wiped/cleaned. I just hate how they feel after typing for a while and no matter what products I use on my hands I can't change genetics.