Author Topic: Dell branded Lexmark Model M $75 OBO + shipping  (Read 4254 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Dell branded Lexmark Model M $75 OBO + shipping
« on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 21:39:57 »
You don't see the Dell branded ones pop up too often, so I figured it might be a fun little piece for someone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Lexmark-Clicky-PS-2-Keyboard-F2-Model-M-P-N-1369050-/361240870346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541ba23dca

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Dell branded Lexmark Model M $75 OBO + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 20:50:38 »
And here's one for $65 OBO + shipping.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 23:03:48 »
It's still there, 8 weeks later, so the seller may take a lower offer. The flat SDL cable doesn't do anything for me (it reminds me of 52G9700, etc.), but you may not care about that.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 06:55:47 »
It appears to be an attached cable, not SDL. Too bad it is still coiled - I personally dislike coiled cables.

The price is good and it has 1-piece keys, which some people really like.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 15:41:04 »
I'm glad we have a chance to get together like this now and then, Fo... Coffee?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:56:31 »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 16:15:22 »
$50 BIN?
Also has the dental floss mod done to it. Pretty good deal.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 18:20:56 »
It appears to be an attached cable

Some people get bent out shape over attached cables; I actually prefer them!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 18:27:36 »
I actually prefer them!

Absolutely, me too.

A removable cable is just 2 more parts waiting to break.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 04:12:55 »
$50 BIN?

Wow, I just won this for $29 + shipping. It was another "I can't pay much, but if I don't bid and someone else gets it real cheap, I'll kick myself" situation. My eyes bugged out when I realized no one bid higher.

This is great, as I just gave away my '96 Model M to a friend who was pecking away on a mushy RD board. He worked with IBM systems since the punchcard days, and it didn't seem right for him not to have a nice buckling-spring keyboard. I regretted it a bit because the '96 had a wonderful touch. (Say what you will about the later Lexmark boards, but I really like 'em.)

Well, Jerue, thanks for drawing this to my attention! Cheers, A.

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 06:19:36 »
$50 BIN?

Wow, I just won this for $29 + shipping. It was another "I can't pay much, but if I don't bid and someone else gets it real cheap, I'll kick myself" situation. My eyes bugged out when I realized no one bid higher.

This is great, as I just gave away my '96 Model M to a friend who was pecking away on a mushy RD board. He worked with IBM systems since the punchcard days, and it didn't seem right for him not to have a nice buckling-spring keyboard. I regretted it a bit because the '96 had a wonderful touch. (Say what you will about the later Lexmark boards, but I really like 'em.)

Well, Jerue, thanks for drawing this to my attention! Cheers, A.

Nice!  I'm the guy that missed out (didn't read this thread until now, lol)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 17:51:05 »
Fortunately, I've pointed people to enough GF's myself now, I'm managing not to feel too guilty.  :?|

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 05:56:29 »
no guilt unless you bid on my M13.   :thumb:

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 11:13:11 »
ander when you get the keyboard can you report back here on how well that floss modding would work in an office setting?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 04:31:56 »
ander when you get the keyboard can you report back here on how well that floss modding would work in an office setting?

I will, but don't get your hopes up on that... I've never used a board with it, but my understanding is that while it dampens the "springy" sound, it doesn't do much for the "clack" of keys bottoming out.

Are you familiar with the method people use to quieten keys on Cherry MX switches, where you roll a silicone o-ring down over the stem in each key cap? It's very effective, and the rings themselves are quite cheap.

Back in 2009, someone posted here on GH that they'd successfully used rubber washers to achieve a similar effect on a buckling-spring board (like the Model M). (You'd need to use something bigger, like a washer, since the key stems go inside the spring barrels, and the barrels are wider than Cherry keycap stems.) Our user fohat.digs asked a few years ago about using such a method, but no one replied; I have a PM in to him asking if he ever learned more.

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:55:41 »
One Dell Model M sold and two pop up in it's place.  Hail Hydra! :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:00:19 »
One Dell Model M sold and two pop up in it's place.  Hail Hydra! :D

LOL. Sometimes KB collecting feels like that no matter what! I'm sure my wife sees them as a kind of reproducing virus around here. But damn, the difference between them is fun. It's like variations in musical instruments... If any of you are musicians, you'll understand what I mean.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 16:40:00 »
One Dell Model M sold and two pop up in it's place.  Hail Hydra!

collecting feels like that no matter what!

It's like that with collecting almost anything. When SSK prices spiked a year or 2 ago, at twice today's prices, there were loads of them on ebay.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 18:22:13 »
And for what it's worth, here's another one at $70 OBO with free shipping. Looks pretty clean, too. Gentlemen, get out your lowballs (if you pardon the expression).