Author Topic: Dell AT-101W (black Alps), clean & tested, $29.99 shipped  (Read 1930 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Dell AT-101W (black Alps), clean & tested, $29.99 shipped
« on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 21:49:33 »
This seems like a good deal on a clean, tested Dell AT-101W (Alps black switches).
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Dell AT-101W (black Alps), clean & tested, $29.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 02:42:28 »
Could be a great starter board for someone :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 03:54:19 »
Compared to something that costs a lot more than $30, you mean. Well, yuh.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 08:13:28 »
These are great-feeling, solid keyboards.

The thing to do is to get a set of fresh new Matias switches and transplant them into the Dell chassis.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 10:21:22 »
Compared to something that costs a lot more than $30, you mean. Well, yuh.
Well tbh I think if people started off on Alps rather than automatically going to Cherries like virtually everyone, very few people would END with Cherry switches xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 16:36:21 »
I agree with that. People buy them because they are popular, and they are popular and everywhere on the market because people buy them.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 06:49:21 »
But where did it start?
Meow.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 15:03:53 »
These are great-feeling, solid keyboards.

The thing to do is to get a set of fresh new Matias switches and transplant them into the Dell chassis.

I did this.  Feels really good.  My end key decided not to work though :(.  Also Dell in their infinite wisdom bent all the contacts on teh switches before soldering.  Makes it 1.5 *****es to unsolder.  Especially if you are unskilled (ME)

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 15:31:14 »
Also Dell in their infinite wisdom bent all the contacts on the switches before soldering.

This is not "Dell".

I have done several of these and it varies greatly. The tech building the board bends a few legs down to hold everything in place to get started.

4 near the corners and a couple in the middle would be plenty, and they do not have to be bent over hard. Sometimes they got very zealous about it, but who ever thought that anybody would want to remove them?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 15:52:36 »
Also Dell in their infinite wisdom bent all the contacts on the switches before soldering.

This is not "Dell".

I have done several of these and it varies greatly. The tech building the board bends a few legs down to hold everything in place to get started.

4 near the corners and a couple in the middle would be plenty, and they do not have to be bent over hard. Sometimes they got very zealous about it, but who ever thought that anybody would want to remove them?

Fair enough.  Someone got quite zealous with my keyboard.  It was probably manufactured on a Monday :D

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 18:01:32 »
But where did it start?

Basically because after rubber domes were 99% of keyboards, then Cherry was basically the only (easily changeable for keyboard configuration) manufacturer left standing. Once mechanical keyboards took off again, that's what was used.

It was never because of anything particular about them.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)