Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1236593 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1200 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 04:29:54 »
I will be starting a GB for assembling ErgoDox's later today so if you interested keep you eyes posted prices will be similar to my phantom GB.

you sure like to keep yourself busy don't ya?
yep also people pmd me directly about this already so i though id just make it available to everyone right away

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1201 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 07:34:03 »
Are the LED's affected by the diode setting in any way? Or would I always keep their cathodes going into the square solder point ?

The LEDs would be a bit tricky to reverse.. They are connected to the ground plane on the cathode side. I wouldn't undertake the mission to change that =)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #1202 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 08:36:05 »
I will be starting a GB for assembling ErgoDox's later today so if you interested keep you eyes posted prices will be similar to my phantom GB.

you sure like to keep yourself busy don't ya?
He want to devirginate all our Ergodox for himself  :p   :))
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline seferphier

« Reply #1203 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:01:30 »
how hard is it to assemble this?

is it easy for a first timer to put this together. the instructions look easy.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1204 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:03:36 »
If you've never soldered I highly recommend not doing it yourself.  I've been through a number of repairs that come from first-timers jumping straight to something they spent real money on.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #1205 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:30:27 »
Well, if a person is handy, and watches a few youtube videos on the topic, they could solder, but of course they should get a perforated PCB and some resistors from radio shack and practice first.
Most important tip to avoid non-reversible damage: Do not let the iron touch anything for more than 3-4 seconds (or more than 2 seconds when soldering chips), as it's easy to damage a PCB and components by overheating them. Avoid big, high-wattage irons. Also don't put too much solder that could overflow and bridge stuff that isn't meant to be bridged.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 12:28:55 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1206 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:36:17 »
I tried to look, but so far I didn't find a decent soldering tutorial around here. I never did it before, but after some practice I want to assemble my Ergodox myself. Can somebody point me to a good source where I can learn which equipment to buy and how to get into soldering?  :rolleyes:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:38:12 by Dreadwyrm »

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #1207 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:57:59 »
This one is pretty good:

Offline bisl

« Reply #1208 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 11:49:14 »
My dad gave me a 24-port switch that caught a lightning strike, and I've been tinkering around with it for soldering practice--I'm looking forward to attempting the eDox assembly myself :D

Offline spm

« Reply #1209 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 12:16:59 »
This one is pretty good:

In first 5 minutes - it looks much more than 1 second as is suggested above :))

Offline sordna

« Reply #1210 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 12:30:24 »
Ok, I revised my post to higher values :-)
Truth is, it highly depends on the iron. Underpowered irons need a lot of time to heat up the component enough to get the solder flowing, but overpowered ones can easily overheat and damage components. Anyway that video tutorial looks indeed great!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1211 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 12:48:04 »
You shouldn't keep the solder molten for than a couple of seconds.  Soldering it together is much less risky than desoldering.  A low power iron on a thick, double-sided PCB can be frustrating because it takes so long for the pad to heat and for the iron to recover.  This means that the overall time that the pad is hot is longer.  As long as you are fast (with practice), a more powerful iron is actually better.  Even a cheap one where you can't control the tip temp can be controlled by limiting contact time and pressure.  Proper cleaning and tinning of the tip is also important.

Best thing is to invest in a decent iron if you are planning to do electronics projects down the road.  It is a worthwhile investment.
Russ

Offline spm

« Reply #1212 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 12:53:03 »
Ok, I revised my post to higher values :-)
Truth is, it highly depends on the iron. Underpowered irons need a lot of time to heat up the component enough to get the solder flowing, but overpowered ones can easily overheat and damage components. Anyway that video tutorial looks indeed great!

:-) yeah, only one problem with tutorial is that it looks so easy... until I have iron in hand and solder everywhere :-)) I'm still thinking if to get one or not. I have iron with temperature control and at least I put together some wires so it wouldn't be my first soldering (although soldering wires is much more easier) but still it looks like big project :) Another fun thing is that I've never have mechanical keyboard in hand. But recently I feel some pain in wrists so I'm looking for something more ergonomic and ergodox looks quite good :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #1213 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:04:41 »
Do it, it's a nice skill to have and it will save you lots of money on repairs. You can find decent irons for under $20.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1214 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:18:11 »
The only thing that makes soldering hard is being stressed about how expensive the thing you are soldering is.  Take the time to do a few little things before stepping up to a few hundred dollars worth of impossible to replace Korean PCB ;) 

It also helps to be prepared.  You *will* mess up, have the tools to recover from that.  A solder sucker is a must and there's no point in wasting money on anything less than an Edsyn Soldapullt.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1215 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:21:49 »
You guys scare me and inspire me, all at the same time.  =P
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline spm

« Reply #1216 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:25:08 »
I have already iron - quite good I think; I mean that I think about getting ergodox :) But I'm missing solder sucker, thanks for the tip :)

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1217 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:26:19 »
Judging from the tutorial videos, the only way you can mess up real bad is if you damage one of the components of the board or the board itself. Everything else solder related can be recovered from with a solder sucker, right? What I'm getting at is, unless you manage to melt your board, you should be fine. (hopefully)

I have melted things that I should not have before... one prime example would be the insert key of my ThinkPad, I wanted to heat it up with a hair dryer to remove the inscription (cause I NEED them to be blank), but I held it too close and it deformed... from that day forward I do not have an insert key on my laptop  ;D

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #1218 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 13:42:30 »
Judging from the tutorial videos, the only way you can mess up real bad is if you damage one of the components of the board or the board itself. Everything else solder related can be recovered from with a solder sucker, right? What I'm getting at is, unless you manage to melt your board, you should be fine. (hopefully)

I have melted things that I should not have before... one prime example would be the insert key of my ThinkPad, I wanted to heat it up with a hair dryer to remove the inscription (cause I NEED them to be blank), but I held it too close and it deformed... from that day forward I do not have an insert key on my laptop  ;D
Unless you damage the board or the components. The board is more resilient than the components though, and the diodes and resistors are dirt cheap.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1219 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 14:08:14 »
Temperature cycling of a pad can cause it to delaminate from the PCB.  That is not cool and takes a good bit of mojo to deal with.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1220 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 14:54:04 »
groupbuy and form up for assembly http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39263.0
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 14:55:53 by TheProfosist »

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1221 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:04:32 »
I'll more than likely be in touch with you for one build, TheProfosist. Think I may take a gamble with my second build, and do it myself.

In other news, we're almost at 50 units sold on MD and the next price tier.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1222 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:21:47 »
ill be getting one soon hopefully that will push it over

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1223 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:51:25 »
In other news, we're almost at 50 units sold on MD and the next price tier.
Unfortunately, it seems impossible to get 50 more buyers in 12 days, so I guess 226$ it is. Plus 65$, if you get the aluminum case.

Am I the only one finding the price tiers weird? 51%, 58%, 60%, 65%...

edit: The massdrop website is a bit confusing, at one place it states that the buy gets to the next drop at 100 buyers (we are currently at 51), but above the commit to join panel it says there are only 38 more people needed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:55:53 by Dreadwyrm »

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1224 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:53:32 »
Considering that there are multiple part suppliers involved, not really.  An example scenario:  1 break is from PCBs, next break is from case manuf., next break from both.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1225 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:56:52 »
Considering that there are multiple part suppliers involved, not really.  An example scenario:  1 break is from PCBs, next break is from case manuf., next break from both.
Aaaaah, I get it... it makes more sense now.  ^-^

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1226 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:04:59 »
The massdrop website is a bit confusing, at one place it states that the buy gets to the next drop at 100 buyers (we are currently at 51), but above the commit to join panel it says there are only 38 more people needed.

There are around 12 people "commited to buy" if the price reaches lowest level, i.e. we need 38 more people and then those 12 will be automatically added as normal buyers. Previous UI was showing it as a tooltip for the "Commit to Join" button.
38 is not that big number for 2 more weeks. I suspect many people are still monitoring the forums, but not yet bought, including myself - I will buy 2, but want to see the aluminum case photos first and if there will be brown switches in the end. Don't want to bother with last minute updates of my order. But I guess I will buy this week already anyway.

Offline regack

« Reply #1227 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:07:03 »

edit: The massdrop website is a bit confusing, at one place it states that the buy gets to the next drop at 100 buyers (we are currently at 51), but above the commit to join panel it says there are only 38 more people needed.

The 38 is because there are (apparently) 11 people that are in the Commit to Join group, which means they will only buy if it hits the $199 pricepoint... so if there are 38 more buyers, then those 11 will automatically be added to the total pool, and it will hit 100, and the $199 price.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1228 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:24:22 »

The 38 is because there are (apparently) 11 people that are in the Commit to Join group, which means they will only buy if it hits the $199 pricepoint... so if there are 38 more buyers, then those 11 will automatically be added to the total pool, and it will hit 100, and the $199 price.
The massdrop website is a bit confusing, at one place it states that the buy gets to the next drop at 100 buyers (we are currently at 51), but above the commit to join panel it says there are only 38 more people needed.

There are around 12 people "commited to buy" if the price reaches lowest level, i.e. we need 38 more people and then those 12 will be automatically added as normal buyers. Previous UI was showing it as a tooltip for the "Commit to Join" button.
38 is not that big number for 2 more weeks. I suspect many people are still monitoring the forums, but not yet bought, including myself - I will buy 2, but want to see the aluminum case photos first and if there will be brown switches in the end. Don't want to bother with last minute updates of my order. But I guess I will buy this week already anyway.

I doubt browns will be added due to the shortage and they aren't slated to become available for another month or so.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1229 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:36:07 »
Thx guys, I forgot about the committed to buy thing. I haven't ordered mine either, because even though they specifically stated that they ship internationally, I can not set the shipping to Hungary...  :(  And I'm waiting for the aluminium case as well.  :cool:

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1230 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:36:32 »
I know I mentioned this before, but if the shortage of MX browns is holding you back, you can get them from this guy for the same price.  They are desoldered from the brand-new Cherry boards he's been pilfering for key caps:

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/cherry-ds-capslock-bottom-rows-switches-relegendables-t3093.html
Russ

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1231 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:40:11 »
Thx guys, I forgot about the committed to buy thing. I haven't ordered mine either, because even though they specifically stated that they ship internationally, I can not set the shipping to Hungary...  :(  And I'm waiting for the aluminium case as well.  :cool:

Send them an email, I've got Estonia added in 3 days after the second email... They seem to be busy trying to satisfy all our various needs and configurations :)

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1232 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:48:12 »

Send them an email, I've got Estonia added in 3 days after the second email... They seem to be busy trying to satisfy all our various needs and configurations :)
Yeah, I just did too.  ;D

Do we have any info about the aluminium case? Will it be sandblasted, brushed, polished, etc.?

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1233 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 16:57:30 »
Regarding wrist pads, could get the full-hand version of the case and stick on a pair of Kinesis palm pads for $12, or just get a basic foam-backed padded mousepad, cut down to size, and stick on.

As for getting browns, you can buy into the MD GB sans switches (IIRC, that deducts $45 from the kit price) and order your own switches later. Last I looked, 7bit's switch GB has browns available this month.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1234 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 17:08:54 »
Last I looked, 7bit's switch GB has browns available this month.
I started hoping that I could save a dollar or two by ordering the switches themselves from a different place, but it would cost 37.8€ + shipping to get 84 pieces of blues, so I guess I'll stay with the included ones at massdrop.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1235 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 17:13:35 »
They haven't released much information on the aluminum case.  I got minimal information from live chat.  I may try again later this week, and I'm still waiting/pressing them to put pictures of it.  With or without the PCB - I just want to see what it looks like.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1236 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 17:18:23 »
ic07 / Dox/ bpiphany:
Would the controller/firmware somehow be able to support a piezo speaker to emit a click sound (like the Kinesis Advantage, and a few other keyboards do) when a key registers ?  If anyone has an idea what mod / extra components might be needed, let me know... I like the audible feedback, but if not possible I might go with cherry MX blues I guess.

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1237 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 17:55:19 »
This is for those who are in Europe and who desperately wants the keyboard and has absolutely no hope to assemble it themselves:

I've shown the ErgoDox instructions to my father and he is ready to help the community with assembling services in Europe. Last 25 years he was working at the local electronics repair shop, i.e. basically spending 6 days a week 8 hours a day with hot iron on his table. Plus last year he was also working at Ericsson factory testing GSM equipment.

The complete build will cost 50 euros and this includes: soldering, flashing with a latest firmware of your choice, testing every key and screwing it all together. So you get fully ready keyboard like from the shop.

The algorithm:
  • you order the kit(s) from MassDrop and pay for it
  • the kit is sent either directly to us in Estonia or to someone being a proxy in US to avoid paying extra taxes and reduce shipping
  • optional, see above: proxy collects all the orders and sends them in one box to Estonia
  • finally I receive it in Estonia and pay import taxes if we fail to avoid them
  • I issue an invoice to you: import taxes (if any) + 50 euro + intra-EU shipping (as far as I can see it is around 14 euros in maxi-letter, small box may be more, please correct me)
  • keyboard gets assembled
  • meanwhile you pay the invoice to my PayPal
  • I double test it and send ready keyboard to you

So you pay either 2 or 3 times depending if you choose to use US proxy and if everything gets organized:
  • to MassDrop for the kit
  • to US proxy for US->EU shipping
  • to me: EU taxes(?) + 50 euro + EU->EU shipping

Let me know in PM if there is interest.
I think I would need the following details:
  • nick
  • email (for emergency messages)
  • address to estimate EU shipping
  • number of kits you are going to order
  • are you ok if we have US proxy?
  • max price if 50 euros is way too much for you - we will see if we can figure smth out
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2013, 18:01:41 by BugBuster »

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1238 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 18:35:16 »
If you don't already have spare keycaps or want to cannibalize caps from a used Cherry G80, it looks like the cheapest option for new caps (at least from WASD) would be to get:
  • 87-key set ($37 blank, +$10 labeled)
    and
  • (4) numpad "+" keys ($1/ea.)
    or
  • (3) Row-4 1x2.00 keys ($1.25)
    or
  • (2) "+" keys & (1) Row-4 1x2.00 key
The 87-key set will provide (2) 1x1.5 keys and (7) 1x1.25 keys sufficient to cover the ErgoDox's (8 ) 1x1.5 key spots with some slight edge gaps, or you can add (10) Row-3 1x1.5 keys ($1/ea.). The 87-key set includes a cap puller and enough spare F-keys, which have a fairly flat Row-4 profile that the ErgoDox won't use, that can be used to fill in keys as needed. I wonder if WASD would be willing to offer an 87-key labeled set with blank F-keys upon request?
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:50:11 by SubGothius »
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline ic07

« Reply #1239 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 19:12:22 »
ic07 / Dox/ bpiphany:
Would the controller/firmware somehow be able to support a piezo speaker to emit a click sound (like the Kinesis Advantage, and a few other keyboards do) when a key registers ?  If anyone has an idea what mod / extra components might be needed, let me know... I like the audible feedback, but if not possible I might go with cherry MX blues I guess.

We have at least 3 pins not being used on the Teensy in the current design, and 2 of them have PWM.  I'd probably try pin PC7 (on TCCR4 for PWM), though PD5 or PD4 might be more convenient if you don't need PWM.  And changing main() a bit to run the code to generate a click when a key is pressed shouldn't be hard at all.  Others are probably much more knowledgable as to the hardware setup, and how easy/hard it might be to drive a piezo speaker using a Teensy.

PS: Also, be sure to explicitly set the state of whatever pins you do use - IIRC, the init code in the controller .c files touches all the pins, so it'd be better not to count on them starting in any default state.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #1240 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 19:27:48 »
If you don't already have spare keycaps or want to cannibalize caps from a used Cherry G80, it looks like the cheapest option for new caps (at least from WASD) would be to get:
  • 87-key set ($37 blank, +$10 labeled)
    and
  • (4) numpad "+" keys ($1/ea.)
    or
  • (2) "+" keys ($1/ea.) and
  • (1) Row-4 1x2.00 key ($1.25)
The 87-key set will provide (2) 1x1.5 keys and (7) 1x1.25 keys sufficient to cover the ErgoDox's (8 ) 1x1.5 key spots with some slight edge gaps, or you can add (10) Row-3 1x1.5 keys ($1/ea.). The 87-key set includes a cap puller and enough spare F-keys, which have a fairly flat Row-4 profile that the ErgoDox won't use, that can be used to fill in keys as needed. I wonder if WASD would be willing to offer an 87-key labeled set with blank F-keys upon request?

What's the ideal set?

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1241 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 21:00:16 »
I just reached out to MD support, again - let's see if we can get some pictures of an aluminum case...maybe.  I asked about case feet, too.  I know litster mentioned the case was designed with holes on the bottom to accommodate them.

Offline bisl

« Reply #1242 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 22:26:32 »
I just reached out to MD support, again - let's see if we can get some pictures of an aluminum case...maybe.  I asked about case feet, too.  I know litster mentioned the case was designed with holes on the bottom to accommodate them.

They're not listed in the parts list, for some reason, but you can actually see them in the parts photo; they're the little red things next to the screws in the upper right corner.

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #1243 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 23:17:02 »
I'm really excited that I started frequenting geekhack again a few weeks ago :).  I've lurked on and off for years but just signed up for an account earlier this week.

Anyway, a friend and I are both very interested in trying to put together ergodox 'boards for ourselves.  It's not something either of us has experience with, though, so I'll definitely be looking to the forum for advice on getting keycaps and so on.

Also, I've used a Kinesis Advantage for six years and absolutely love the ability to have multiple keyboard layers and switch between them with a foot pedal.  I see that the firmware that Ben Blazak has put together supports arbitrary keyboard layers, and I think that's fantastic.  I would really love to be able to hook up one (or several) layers to pedals or some other external device.  That should be relatively easy, right?  I mean, a switch is a switch, and it's just a matter of hooking it up somehow?

I'm a technical person as far as software goes (programmer, mostly C++ lately) but I've never really messed around with hardware design or even rewiring anything.  Does anybody have any advice for where to start down this journey?  Is anybody else planning on doing the same?

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1244 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 23:27:57 »
MD is doing a keycap buy next, or you can piece together a set from WASD as SubGothius wrote. I got mine from the SiP random inventory at a $1 a piece.

As to the foot switches, there are two unused switch locations on each board under the 2x thumb keys. As you said, a switch is a switch and you could rig something up in those 4 unused locations. The firmware is pretty straight-forward - here is one layer. The 0's on L34 and L43 represent the 4 unused locations.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #1245 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:19:14 »
ic07 / Dox/ bpiphany:
I want this feature too!  I have wanted this feature for a century!

I am not sure what a "piezo speaker" is.  But I really want to have a keyboard with a controller that supports audio feedback.  And not just click sound but many different possible click sounds or musical notes!

In computer terms I would say it just needs a DAC and some RAM to store the sound samples.  And some way to transfer to contents of RAM into the DAC.  The normal way of doing that is with DMA.  If DMA is impossible then it would need another CPU to sit around spoonfeeding the DAC at the correct speed.  Having a keyboard that would play the music samples I tell it too would so rox my sox!
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1246 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:32:24 »
O.O thats another whole project within it self O.O

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #1247 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:39:32 »
Every word has its own melody?
I'm curious about whether different tone on each key produces better audible feedback than mono tone. Even if not, it is a fun at least :)

I believe someone already wrote AHK script doing like this somewhere. I'd find and try.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #1248 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 00:54:49 »
I'm curious about whether different tone on each key produces better audible feedback than mono tone. Even if not, it is a fun at least :)

I believe someone already wrote AHK script doing like this somewhere. I'd find and try.
I agree its fun!  I want each successive char to play the next note of  "Jingle Bells" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Mary had a Little Lamb" or "Like a Virgin" or "Beethoven's 5th Sympony" or etc.  Way loads of fun!

If you have a dac and some ram you can play anything.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1249 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 01:14:19 »

I agree its fun!  I want each successive char to play the next note of  "Jingle Bells" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Mary had a Little Lamb" or "Like a Virgin" or "Beethoven's 5th Sympony" or etc.  Way loads of fun!

If you have a dac and some ram you can play anything.
One of Mr Interface's projects may interest you: