Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1236657 times)

Offline Glissant

Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1350 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:46:52 »
So we could use pcb OR plate mounted switches if we so choose? If that's the case then I might actually forgo the switch option, and just get some switches from someone in the classifieds.

Another quick question; How many switches do we actually need to fill up the board? I counted 76 on the board, but 77 in the picture. Oh, and the "included"-list lists 88. Just a stupid question that I know the answer to, but feel it's so unclear.
I also think it's interesting how they didn't seem to include how to solder the actual switches in the build guide (unless I'm blind).
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:56:58 by Glissant »

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1351 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:31:50 »
So we could use pcb OR plate mounted switches if we so choose? If that's the case then I might actually forgo the switch option, and just get some switches from someone in the classifieds.

Another quick question; How many switches do we actually need to fill up the board? I counted 76 on the board, but 77 in the picture. Oh, and the "included"-list lists 88. Just a stupid question that I know the answer to, but feel it's so unclear.
I also think it's interesting how they didn't seem to include how to solder the actual switches in the build guide (unless I'm blind).

AFAIC you can also have 4 small buttons under your thumbs instead of 2 big ones, then it would be 80 altogether, that's the max you can fit on these PCBs.

Offline ic07

« Reply #1352 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:35:27 »
But I think you'd have to mod the plate layer a bit to split the thumb keys.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1353 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:39:02 »
Is there a problem with the plate mount switches because the acrylic case would not be stable enough? I've read  the wiki, but this case seems to be a bit out of the ordinary. I don't know yet whether I want PCB or plate mounted switches, can someone explain the reasoning behind each choice?  :)

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #1354 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:52:17 »

When I look at the photo of PCB, it seems that it's already ready for split thumb keys, just have to remap it properly in Teensy probably. But it's better if Dox or someone who designed the board confirms.

Is there a problem with the plate mount switches because the acrylic case would not be stable enough? I've read  the wiki, but this case seems to be a bit out of the ordinary. I don't know yet whether I want PCB or plate mounted switches, can someone explain the reasoning behind each choice?  :)

Basically you can have PCB-mount switch or plate-mount or both at the same time. The latter seems to be the case with ErgoDox.  Either PCB-mount or plate-mount is already enough for stable work.  So if you can find PCB-mount switches, then go for it and they will be supported by both pins inside PCB and plate above and will be extra strong and stable. IMHO

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1355 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:56:40 »
Im gooing to do booth PCB and platemount I hope i have enough PCB clears already though thats is stiill a good price for switches

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1356 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 17:07:57 »
Basically you can have PCB-mount switch or plate-mount or both at the same time. The latter seems to be the case with ErgoDox.  Either PCB-mount or plate-mount is already enough for stable work.  So if you can find PCB-mount switches, then go for it and they will be supported by both pins inside PCB and plate above and will be extra strong and stable. IMHO
Oh, I really like this idea! Too much stability and having a second lifeline never hurts. I'm thinking about buying greens, as I feel that my blues are a bit too light, but it's really hard to make the choice without actually trying the switches themselves. :D

I can make one (yes, one) ghetto green now, how much stiffer should the real greens feel? It's just hard to imagine the forces based on numbers such as 60cN and 80cN.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1357 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 17:17:46 »
Oh, I really like this idea! Too much stability and having a second lifeline never hurts. I'm thinking about buying greens, as I feel that my blues are a bit too light, but it's really hard to make the choice without actually trying the switches themselves. :D

I can make one (yes, one) ghetto green now, how much stiffer should the real greens feel? It's just hard to imagine the forces based on numbers such as 60cN and 80cN.
think of typing on blacks that click

Offline ic07

« Reply #1358 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 17:18:56 »

When I look at the photo of PCB, it seems that it's already ready for split thumb keys, just have to remap it properly in Teensy probably. But it's better if Dox or someone who designed the board confirms.

Oh, no no no.  I was just talking about the plate (since I assume most people will be using one, building the keyboard with an unmodified case from the buy).  The PCB and the firmware support splitting the thumb keys easily, as you said.

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1359 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:04:41 »
Caps buy is up on MD with blank PBT caps. $41/$37/$35.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1360 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:08:29 »
I saw that the keycaps went up. Those are super cheap for PBT's.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1361 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:09:32 »
Guess I'm in for those.
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1362 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:22:11 »
I saw that the keycaps went up. Those are super cheap for PBT's.
where PBT? think WASD would laser them?

nm I found them im no good with complete blacks
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:23:42 by TheProfosist »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #1363 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:25:09 »
Caps buy is up on MD with blank PBT caps. $41/$37/$35.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap

Quote from: Massdrop.com
These keys are made in the USA at a manufacturing facility in Washington State.

I wonder who that could be. hmmmmmmm

Signature Plastics' 30,000 square foot facility is located on 16 acres in rural Whatcom County, approximately 120 miles north of Seattle, Washington.

:)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1364 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:34:44 »
The alignment pins of the PCB mount switches don't really add much to the stability of the switches.  Their main purpose is to orient the switch correctly.  Without a plate to square them all up, the switches can rotate a fair amount.  The solder legs on not solid enough to ensure proper switch alignment, both during assembly and through the life of the keyboard.  So it doesn't matter too much what the plate is made out of, from a switch orientation perspective.  As far as feel, well that is a different story.
Russ

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1365 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:37:45 »
So would you say it's okay to go with only plate mounted switches?
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1366 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:39:10 »
yea its fine
but ii prefer dbl mounted whenever possible

Offline wasabah

Re: Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1367 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 22:32:24 »
yea its fine
but ii prefer dbl mounted whenever possible

Mhh.. So should I go with the offered switches or buy PCB mounted ones separately? :-\

Offline sordna

« Reply #1368 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 22:48:54 »
PCB mounted with built-in diodes are the best for me. The only kind that can withstand pulling key caps even WITHOUT a plate. Heck, adding LEDs on top of that would make them indestructible :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1369 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 22:56:06 »
PCB mounted with built-in diodes are the best for me. The only kind that can withstand pulling key caps even WITHOUT a plate. Heck, adding LEDs on top of that would make them indestructible :-)
lol i dont think you can due to the diode being in there and all

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1370 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:49:43 »
"The keys have a flat profile which means they can be swapped out easily"

Noooooooo..... Does this mean that they will be DSA profile? This is a real turnoff for me, on an ergonomic keyboard I would expect ergonomically engineered keycaps.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1371 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:52:54 »

Noooooooo..... Does this mean that they will be DSA profile? This is a real turnoff for me, on an ergonomic keyboard I would expect ergonomically engineered keycaps.
you realise the keyboard is flat too right?

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1372 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:53:14 »

I would assume this would be better for the EDox. I'm getting one set and using my own cherry caps to see which is better.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #1373 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:54:07 »
I decided to go with the caps. Then keep one what I want, and add some of my own caps if it doesn't mess with the profile much.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1374 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:56:46 »
you realise the keyboard is flat too right?
Most keyboards are flat, yet it's more comfortable to type on sculpted caps (at least for me). If your hand stays on the home row, it's logical that the rows above and bellow should face the direction of your fingers.

I would assume this would be better for the EDox. I'm getting one set and using my own cherry caps to see which is better.
In the sense that they can simply mass produce the same key - yes, it makes their job much easier. But this matter should have been put up to vote on massdrop.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 23:58:58 by Dreadwyrm »

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #1375 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:03:39 »
I hope the keycap at thumb cluster are Slanted/Controured like Kinesis. Based on my experience on Kinesis (Slanted/Contoured) and Maltron (Same height DSA), Same height on these keys will make them awkward to type on. You might mistype more often
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:07:11 by mikelanding »
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1376 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:12:13 »
I hope the keycap at thumb cluster are Slanted/Controured like Kinesis. Based on my experience on Kinesis (Slanted/Contoured) and Maltron (Same height DSA), Same height on these keys will make them awkward to type on. You might mistype more often
nope their not their all flat

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #1377 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:15:43 »
Guess I will swap them out with my spare Kinesis ABS caps then. :(
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1378 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:16:58 »
Guess I will swap them out with my spare Kinesis ABS caps then. :(
ill probably be getting WASD Caps to i can get my layout on it once i decide what it is

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1379 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:17:23 »
Btw, they said they will add international shipping costs later today. But if I see the ten dollars to ship to Canada, I wonder how much it will be to Germany... :(

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1380 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:19:39 »
Btw, they said they will add international shipping costs later today. But if I see the ten dollars to ship to Canada, I wonder how much it will be to Germany... :(
not cheaps wouldnt be cheap for me to do really either

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1381 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 00:23:14 »
not cheaps wouldnt be cheap for me to do really either

Damn, this will be an expensive keyboard :-D

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1382 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 02:18:57 »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1383 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 02:22:22 »

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1384 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 02:26:49 »
Massdrop assembly time lapse video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHr-HtX-aaA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

that is not very useful in any way...
I think you can see the aluminium look better than in the picture. It seems to be more shiny than I initially thought.

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1385 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 02:45:01 »
I think you can see the aluminium look better than in the picture. It seems to be more shiny than I initially thought.

I would have phrased it "glitters like Edward Cullen in the sunlight", but shiny would also be a word for it.  :D

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1386 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:19:06 »
I made a poll on Massdrop about what profile the community would prefer for the keycaps.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/78
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:53:02 by Dreadwyrm »

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #1387 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 04:52:52 »
I'm interested in this but I'd like to see what people think of it, and I can't afford $200 right now.  I also wouldn't know what switch to choose because I've only tried one type, and it is my simple alps board.

Will it possibly be available again in the future, or be developed more?  Great work, it looks awesome!

Also, no function keys?  why not?

No function keys because the keyboard is multi layered. That is, there are "fn" keys that allow you to access secondary/tertiary layers for things like numpad etc.

As of this writing, macro capability is not in the firmware, but I believe that it will be in the cards at a later date.

Cheers,

Oh makes sense, thanks. 

I'm interested in this but I'd like to see what people think of it, and I can't afford $200 right now.  I also wouldn't know what switch to choose because I've only tried one type, and it is my simple alps board.

You can order it without switches ($44 cheaper) so hopefully it will be only $155  and decide later on switches and keycaps. This way you'll have more options (reds, browns) that aren't offered here, and will have time to raise some more funds for those parts.

Will it possibly be available again in the future, or be developed more?

It might be available in the future, but it will probably be more expensive since the quantities ordered will be lower.
My guess it that the thing that will developed more is the firmware.

Basically, if you really like it and think you might be miserable if you miss it, get it during this GB, otherwise wait :-)

Good thinking, hopefully it continues to be made I love the innovation of non-standard keyboards.  I hate straight designs.  while I'm used to it, they're horrible ergonomically.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #1388 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:00:18 »
Does anyone know if the keycap gb on massdrop if for one ergo dox hand or both ergodox hands (ie. do you have to buy 2 sets or 1 set of keycaps to outfit the left and the right hand of the ergodox)?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #1389 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:03:11 »
Does anyone know if the keycap gb on massdrop if for one ergo dox hand or both ergodox hands (ie. do you have to buy 2 sets or 1 set of keycaps to outfit the left and the right hand of the ergodox)?
It would be very dumb if it would be for one hand only.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #1390 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:04:58 »

Yeah I agree.  But look at the pic on massdrop's site....it's only the pic of one hand.  Plus the description doesn't mention how many keycaps you are getting.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline spm

« Reply #1391 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 09:47:08 »

Yeah I agree.  But look at the pic on massdrop's site....it's only the pic of one hand.  Plus the description doesn't mention how many keycaps you are getting.

On the other hand on ergodox kit group buy is also photo only one hand but kit includes both :))

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #1392 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 15:24:49 »
Finally, I have ordered everything to build my ergodox!!!

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #1393 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:05:12 »
I'm still a little indecisive about case material, so far, I've planned on getting the aluminum case, however, after seeing the pictures I feel it needs some kind of treatment to look proper. Leaning to brushed at the moment, as it should be somewhat simple (I have no prior experience), and I love the look of brushed aluminum. Anodized would be a possibility, if I can find somewhere local to get it done for a decent price, but in any case, it wouldn't be as cheap as brushing it myself.
I like cats.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #1394 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 16:13:13 »
Be aware that if you brush it yourself, you'll most likely (almost certainly) lift of the clear anodising that one hopes will have been applied.

Since we don't know exactly which aluminium alloy they've used (?) we can't be sure, but assume the worst, that it will react with oxygen, sulphur or both and will start to show a patina.  Aluminium oxidises, it just doesn't form a corrosive oxide such as rust, but a pacification layer, however, it isn't always pretty.

Or it could be fine.

Offline ic07

« Reply #1395 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:27:40 »
I was wondering about getting mine anodized too, once it arrives.  Hopefully some of my engineer friends will be able to point me towards a local place.. :) .

I just added everything up, for fun - all the parts I've been gathering since the prototype phase and the parts I just ordered from Massdrop, enough to build ~4 boards (the prototype one not having a proper case) - and I estimate it cost ~$330 a board, all included (even keycaps).  That's what shipping from every different place and low quantity ordering will do I suppose, lol - the Massdrop buy is looking like a good deal to me :) .

Also, does anyone have any idea where one could get 1.5x translucent (similar to this (this) or this type) DCS Row 2 keycaps outside this possible group buy?  Or alternately, is there an elegant way of making the indicator LEDs easily visible with opaque keycaps?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1396 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 19:26:07 »
Be aware that if you brush it yourself, you'll most likely (almost certainly) lift of the clear anodising that one hopes will have been applied.

Since we don't know exactly which aluminium alloy they've used (?) we can't be sure, but assume the worst, that it will react with oxygen, sulphur or both and will start to show a patina.  Aluminium oxidises, it just doesn't form a corrosive oxide such as rust, but a pacification layer, however, it isn't always pretty.

Or it could be fine.
Aluminium anodyzing oxidizes the aluminium, this protective layer helps to make it strong. One of the purposes of the anodyzing is to make the oxide layer thicker, for better scratch resistance, etc. If you remove it (by brushing or whatever) it'll naturally re-form a thin oxide layer that with thicken with time as diffusion occurs, though it'll not be as thick as an anodyzed layer. In my experience, the impurities in the air are not sufficient to discolour the aluminium when this happens.

If you get SP white PBT, indicator LED's will be easily visible though it.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1397 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 00:17:26 »
i think i've decided i'm getting two of these things now, no wrist rest though i am going to make my own. This really could become the only keyboard i really use, even though i'm buying/building an army of keyboards its still possible and i rather not kick myself for not having 2. Credit card bill be damned!

i really hope someone has a key-cap group buy or something with double shots with cool design or something, almost want to figure out how to do it myself, i really don't think i can do the blanks and i'm not impressed with wasd,. Still getting the blanks but i may have to make labels to learn like training wheels.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1398 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 00:19:57 »
i really hope someone has a key-cap group buy or something with double shots with cool design or something, almost want to figure out how to do it myself, i really don't think i can do the blanks and i'm not impressed with wasd,. Still getting the blanks but i may have to make labels to learn like training wheels.
Same here. I will join the Massdrop blank key cap group buy, but for the long run I really want some labeled key caps.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1399 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 00:28:47 »
im going to get my layout run By WASD but im sure not everyone is going to like my layout so that the only way.