Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1236657 times)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1450 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:36:59 »
NKRO, media keys, mouse buttons, and i believe mouse control :D I would like all those things in  my ErgoDox

Lol, yup, stuff I won't have time for for a while - thanks :)

Also, I'm on my phone right now, so I can't really link, and I'm sure you'd find it soon anyway, but.. I forgot to mention my matrix.h, in the dir above the controller files - you'll probably need that too, as it defines the mapping from actual key positions to positions in the matrix.

Happy porting!
Ill have to see if I can find someone to port it for me then as I have nearly 0 experience coding

We all need to start somewhere Prof.!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1451 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:28:26 »
NKRO, media keys, mouse buttons, and i believe mouse control :D I would like all those things in  my ErgoDox

Lol, yup, stuff I won't have time for for a while - thanks :)

Also, I'm on my phone right now, so I can't really link, and I'm sure you'd find it soon anyway, but.. I forgot to mention my matrix.h, in the dir above the controller files - you'll probably need that too, as it defines the mapping from actual key positions to positions in the matrix.

Happy porting!
Ill have to see if I can find someone to port it for me then as I have nearly 0 experience coding

We all need to start somewhere Prof.!

Cheers,
No time with building

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #1452 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:35:40 »
I made a spreadsheet in Gnumeric to make layout tinkering easier -- e.g., this is the layout I've just about settled on for my Layer 0:

(Attachment Link)

Why the Tab and Shift in the middle? Because Alt-Tab! :) The other middle keys on the right-hand half are Lock toggles because that's where the indicator LEDs are. I might yet want to put Shift in both lower-middle keys to try thumb-shifting anyway, and move Caps Lock elsewhere if the indicator LED status can be independent of the key it's under.

Anyway, here's my spreadsheet file in Gnumeric and Excel formats:
Notice I duplicated the layout template to additional blank worksheet tabs for Layers 1-3, so you can just switch between sheets within the file to tinker with your desired layout on each layer. ;D
Thank for the file!

Mine will be something like below. Almost same layout as my current Kinesis
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1453 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 09:10:40 »
I should have my layout up soon :D

Offline ic07

« Reply #1454 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 12:17:35 »
I made a spreadsheet in Gnumeric to make layout tinkering easier -- e.g., this is the layout I've just about settled on for my Layer 0:

(Attachment Link)

Why the Tab and Shift in the middle? Because Alt-Tab! :) The other middle keys on the right-hand half are Lock toggles because that's where the indicator LEDs are. I might yet want to put Shift in both lower-middle keys to try thumb-shifting anyway, and move Caps Lock elsewhere if the indicator LED status can be independent of the key it's under.

Notice I duplicated the layout template to additional blank worksheet tabs for Layers 1-3, so you can just switch between sheets within the file to tinker with your desired layout on each layer. ;D

Just FYI, the default shift keys are also set up so that when you press both at the same time, it activates CapsLock - if that makes a difference :) .  Also, the LED indicators are completely independent of what keys are assigned where, so that won't be a problem.  Getting a Fn-lock key to activate an LED is a bit advanced, but it shouldn't be hard... to skip the long explanation, you'll probably have to write a quick wrapper function for the LED control function, so that you can call it within a macro key - or wait till the UI comes out, and we might remember to put the option in there (I'd say we *would*, but it could be a while from now...).  Or ask when you have the rest of the layout working after the buy, and I'll see if it's as easy as I think :) .

Mmm... and this wouldn't be the easiest place to start (lol, my firmware exists, more or less, because I didn't know enough to port hasu's to the ErgoDox when I started).  Now that I looked at it a bunch, I'm slightly tempted to try - but there are likely to be parts that aren't so fun (adapting yet another default layout, for everyone to use as a template, for instance), and I still have a bunch of improvements I want to make to my own, so I hope you understand if it's rather far down on my list...  If anyone else wants to try they're quite welcome to of course :)

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1455 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 12:26:57 »
Just FYI, the default shift keys are also set up so that when you press both at the same time, it activates CapsLock - if that makes a difference :) .

Nice.  Think I like that activation method.  I've long since remapped my Caps to LControl, and used Shift + Caps to enable the CapsLock.  Think I like this better, though.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1456 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:07:54 »
(stands back and lets everyone else figure this all out lol)

I really want to get my hands on this thing NOW!  now that i'm thinking about layouts it just makes me want this thing more. I think i may even call out the day this thing arrives.

playing with my kinesis freestyle to figure out anything i liked about it, it has a pretty normal ANSI layout just split. I like having space bars on both hands, something i don't see in these layouts. I also like embedded number pad.

Am i the only one that wants to embed a HHKB style arrow keys in the ergodox LOL

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1457 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:10:56 »
I want to embed cursor keys, too - but on jkl; and home, end, page up/down on esdf...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline bisl

« Reply #1458 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:13:05 »
Am i the only one that wants to embed a HHKB style arrow keys in the ergodox LOL

Nope! I already did something similar with bpiphany's filco liberation controller in my filco--arrow keys right on right-hand home row. Planning on doing the same for ergoDox :D

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #1459 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:38:55 »

Nope! I already did something similar with bpiphany's filco liberation controller in my filco--arrow keys right on right-hand home row. Planning on doing the same for ergoDox :D

I can't imagine *not* doing this.  It's how my Kinesis Advantage is mapped too.  Navigation keys and all sorts of odd programming symbols surrounding the home row.  And, of course, it's part of why I'll be adding a foot pedal (or two!) for switching layers on my Ergodox  :)

I'm not exactly sure yet how I'll be attaching the foot pedals, but I'm thinking that I'll just use electronic piano sustain pedals and be able to easily plug and unplug them from a dongle coming out of the 'board.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this thing!

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1460 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:50:27 »
I've got "hjkl" dir keys on the right hand home row and programming symbols easily accessible, all on layer one. Works out fairly well.

Having just one space key is nice because one the other side can be bs+del. But maybe that's just a sign that I need to become a more precise typist.

Here's my layout:

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 13:52:40 by AloisiusFauxly »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1461 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 14:08:50 »

(Attachment Link)

Just FYI, the default shift keys are also set up so that when you press both at the same time, it activates CapsLock - if that makes a difference :) .  Also, the LED indicators are completely independent of what keys are assigned where, so that won't be a problem.  Getting a Fn-lock key to activate an LED is a bit advanced, but it shouldn't be hard... to skip the long explanation, you'll probably have to write a quick wrapper function for the LED control function, so that you can call it within a macro key - or wait till the UI comes out, and we might remember to put the option in there (I'd say we *would*, but it could be a while from now...).  Or ask when you have the rest of the layout working after the buy, and I'll see if it's as easy as I think :) .

Mmm... and this wouldn't be the easiest place to start (lol, my firmware exists, more or less, because I didn't know enough to port hasu's to the ErgoDox when I started).  Now that I looked at it a bunch, I'm slightly tempted to try - but there are likely to be parts that aren't so fun (adapting yet another default layout, for everyone to use as a template, for instance), and I still have a bunch of improvements I want to make to my own, so I hope you understand if it's rather far down on my list...  If anyone else wants to try they're quite welcome to of course :)

I suppose it's something we should consider. Yeah, no definite timeframe yet on when it would be available via UI.
As for porting another firmware ic07, you sure you don't have enough on your plate yet?

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline ic07

« Reply #1462 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:15:05 »
As for porting another firmware ic07, you sure you don't have enough on your plate yet?

Lol, I already have too much - hence the "rather far down on my list", as in, prioritized after my firmware, and helping with the UI, and if I get to it...  Sorry to anyone if I phrased my opinion too enthusiastically o_o .

Offline amidwinter

« Reply #1463 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:27:09 »

Here's my layout:

This might be a stupid question, but what do "la" and "sh" mean on your layout? I'm guessing "la" refers to layer switching, but I have no idea for "sh". Shift?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 15:32:48 by amidwinter »

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1464 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 16:16:07 »
Yeah sh = shift. So "sh {[" corresponds to holding shift and pressing the {[ key on a standard keyboard, resulting in {

Offline amidwinter

« Reply #1465 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 16:49:21 »
Yeah sh = shift. So "sh {[" corresponds to holding shift and pressing the {[ key on a standard keyboard, resulting in {

Oh okay, thanks. What do the "la" keys do? Hold them to change layers? What is the difference between "la 2 + 2" and "la 2 +- 2"?

Thanks for your help.

Offline gdaian

« Reply #1466 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 16:55:07 »
Aloisius, you would save a lot of pinky strain by moving a shift key to the thumb cluster, especially since your layout seems to rely heavily on it.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1467 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 17:18:36 »
Just FYI, the default shift keys are also set up so that when you press both at the same time, it activates CapsLock - if that makes a difference :) .  Also, the LED indicators are completely independent of what keys are assigned where, so that won't be a problem.  Getting a Fn-lock key to activate an LED is a bit advanced, but it shouldn't be hard...

Good to know about the double-Shift = Caps Lock feature; looks like I can try thumb-Shifting after all! So just curious, what will each of the LEDs be mapped to indicate in the current firmware layouts you're providing? Anything at all, or yet to be determined/implemented?
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #1468 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 17:38:15 »

Oh okay, thanks. What do the "la" keys do? Hold them to change layers? What is the difference between "la 2 + 2" and "la 2 +- 2"?

Thanks for your help.

If I understand correctly, "la" indicates a layer modifier key, and a "+1" would effectively work as a Layer 1 Lock (pushing Layer 1 on top of the layout stack) -- and you'll see in the current default Layer 1 layout that the same key becomes a "-1" to release the lock and return to the previous layer (popping Layer 1 off the layout stack) -- whereas a "+-1" would be a Layer 1 Shift, where Layer 1 is only active while the key is held. If my understanding here is incorrect, this definitely needs clarification.

I'm not quite clear what the first number after the "la" refers to or whether it's related to the layer number being pushed (applied) or popped (removed) -- if so, the first and second numbers might always need to match?
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1469 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 18:21:57 »
Aloisius, you would save a lot of pinky strain by moving a shift key to the thumb cluster, especially since your layout seems to rely heavily on it.

The layout generated is not optimal in this regard. Those keys with "sh" on them have shift programmed in when you press them. So to get a {, I only have to press L1+Q. I could also press L1+sh+F (what would be E on a QWERTY), but as you said that's not ideal.

Offline ic07

« Reply #1470 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 18:28:08 »
So just curious, what will each of the LEDs be mapped to indicate in the current firmware layouts you're providing? Anything at all, or yet to be determined/implemented?

The LEDs are currently (by default) (from top to bottom): NumLock, CapsLock, and Scroll Lock.

If I understand correctly, "la" indicates a layer modifier key, and a "+1" would effectively work as a Layer 1 Lock (pushing Layer 1 on top of the layout stack) -- and you'll see in the current default Layer 1 layout that the same key becomes a "-1" to release the lock and return to the previous layer (popping Layer 1 off the layout stack) -- whereas a "+-1" would be a Layer 1 Shift, where Layer 1 is only active while the key is held. If my understanding here is incorrect, this definitely needs clarification.

I'm not quite clear what the first number after the "la" refers to or whether it's related to the layer number being pushed (applied) or popped (removed) -- if so, the first and second numbers might always need to match?

The first number after the "la" refers to the ID of the element on the layer stack that you're pushing/popping.  So, when you "la 1 + 1", you push an element with ID = 1 and layer = 1 onto the stack (so, you'll now be typing on layer 1).  When you "la 1 - 1" what you're really doing would be better described as "la 1 -" (without the last "1"): you're popping the element with ID = 1 off the stack, wherever it is, and whatever it contains.  You can only have one element on the stack with a given ID at a given time, but you can have as many elements pointing to a given layer as you like.

I may change parts of this later, if I think I can make the concept more clear...  The basic gist of things should remain the same though.

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1471 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 18:32:45 »
Thanks for the info ic07, I too was wondering about that first number. Is there a limit to the IDs?

edit: Is it 10 at the moment? That looks like it's arbitrary and one could write more kbfun_layer_push/pop fns and corresponding lpush/lpop macros.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 18:49:36 by AloisiusFauxly »

Offline ic07

« Reply #1472 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:03:37 »
Thanks for the info ic07, I too was wondering about that first number. Is there a limit to the IDs?

:) .  In the current firmware, i have the IDs arbitrarily limited to 1 through 10, and the maximum number of active layers arbitrarily limited to 20.  The technical limits are somewhat higher - they're mostly bounded by the amount of available PROGMEM and SRAM.

I'm changing this a bit in the rewrite (which won't be available till at least a little after the group buy, but maybe longer - it's hard to predict).  I plan to remove the limitation on IDs (due to a design change).  The limit on active layers will probably still be there, but it'll likely be very easy to change.

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1473 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:12:15 »
In practice though, how many simultaneous layers will most people need?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1474 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 19:43:14 »
20 layers? ErgoL33tDox

Offline ic07

« Reply #1475 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 20:21:09 »
Lol. I'd be curious to see what anyone was doing with more than 5. I think the default layout is using 4 right now. But I wanted things to be flexible...  :)

Offline regack

« Reply #1476 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 21:17:03 »
20 layers? ErgoL33tDox

Layers within layers... ErgCeptionDox

Offline Larken

« Reply #1477 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 21:18:19 »
any more than 4, and you'd get stuck in Limbo.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1478 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 22:01:04 »
In my layout I will try to include German Umlaute as well as some Japanese special keys.
But with that I will start when my ErgoDox is up and running. :)
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline bisl

« Reply #1479 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 22:32:15 »
I'm planning on at least two separate layers: one for arrow keys under right-hand home row, and one for numpad under right-hand home row. I think that's about all I need.

Offline ic07

« Reply #1480 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 22:48:44 »
My idea was, locking layer masks could be used to change the function of just a few keys at a time...  Say if you wanted a few things set up one way when you were working in.. I dunno, Word, and another way when using something else.  It should also be possible, with a little effort, to use them to emulate firmware level combination keys (though, I don't think there's enough room to emulate chording...).  How it'll work out in practice, I'm not sure.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1481 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:02:44 »
With further firmware development, would it be possible to achieve remapping from the keyboard itself (like the Kinesis Advantage does) without flashing new firmware every time?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ic07

« Reply #1482 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:36:16 »
With further firmware development, would it be possible to achieve remapping from the keyboard itself (like the Kinesis Advantage does) without flashing new firmware every time?

Possible, yes. Practicle, I'm still not sure.  I started the partial rewrite I'm working on now because I wanted to make it easier to implement just that.  But then I started talking to OJ about the UI, which got me thinking.. if we make a good UI, what is a realistic use case for on-keyboard remapping?  Especially bearing in mind that it will be necessarily limited (I haven't run the math, but it might be possible to remap 1 layer's worth of keys or so, maybe a little less, or alternately program something like 40 or 80 keystrokes worth of macros - just to give a general idea).

Edit: There's also a small (hopefully, lol) chance I'll run into issues with EEPROM accesses slowing down the scan rate too much - but I won't be worried about that unless I see it happening.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:42:34 by ic07 »

Offline sordna

« Reply #1483 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 00:39:12 »
A UI to remap the keyboard would be great, especially if it could be run locally (not off the Internet). For instance, on my ubuntu machine, I'd love to be able to remap keys or build layouts on a UI (from a locally running webserver, or it could be a TK, or PyQT, or standalone Java application, or whatever), hit a button, and have the UI call the commands to compile as well as call the teensy command-line utility to load the firmware on the keyboard, all in one shot. That would be almost as good as the instant gratification that on-board remapping provides :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ic07

« Reply #1484 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:54:05 »
Disclaimer (to everyone):  Please oh please bear in mind that all things UI are speculation at the moment.  Especially from me, since all of it is OJ's call.  ty :-) .  With that in mind:

My current thoughts are that we'll have an SVG/javascript interface, maybe a Python (or whatever's convenient) CGI script, and the AVR GCC toolchain set up - that the JS and Python will, between them, somehow, generate C code - and that this C code will then be compiled, and the binaries served to the user.  I imagine we'll have our code up on github, for collaborative purposes if nothing else.  And *if* I'm right about all these things, I can't see you having any difficulty running the UI on a local server, with a modified backend script that also flashes your Teensy :-) .

Offline wasabah

Re: Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1485 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:03:12 »
My idea was, locking layer masks could be used to change the function of just a few keys at a time...  Say if you wanted a few things set up one way when you were working in.. I dunno, Word, and another way when using something else.  It should also be possible, with a little effort, to use them to emulate firmware level combination keys (though, I don't think there's enough room to emulate chording...).  How it'll work out in practice, I'm not sure.

That's a pretty cool idea!!
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline L!athus

« Reply #1486 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:41:17 »
MD has put up PCB only, case only and switches only GB. For those still looking to get just the PCB or case only might be a good news.

$22/PCB
$80/pair (acrylic left & right side)
$5.90/pack of 10 (blue/red/black plate mount only)
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:47:48 by L!athus »

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1487 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:55:29 »
No I wonder if I should only get one, but buy both cases. Damn, I'm so bad if there are many choices and they just keep adding more..

Offline L!athus

« Reply #1488 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 04:13:38 »
You could in theory get 1 complete kit with aluminium case + additional acrylic case to mixed up the layers if you feels like it. Only the plate layer is non swappable after all components are soldered on. :D

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1489 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 04:29:29 »
you cant get both cases for one board you would have to resolder/desolder for the different plates

now that i think about it you might because to use the same plate as they are the same thickness between the 2

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1490 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 05:24:12 »
you cant get both cases for one board you would have to resolder/desolder for the different plates

now that i think about it you might because to use the same plate as they are the same thickness between the 2
Ah, but I was talking about full hand and classic case and you are right-for that I would need to desolder.
So two keyboards after all

Offline mSSM

« Reply #1491 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 05:46:17 »
I am about to join the Massdrop GB myself, and I am a bit confused about the mounting of the switches:
As I understand it, the design of the keyboard supports both, PCB- and plate-mounted switches. What are we going to get? From the assembly instructions [1] I get that we have to solder the switches to the PCB - i.e. we will get switches with PCB-mounting pins.

However, dorkvader wrote in his mass email:
The PCB supports PCB mounted switches. The mounting plate supports phantom-style easy switch removal.

What exactly does that mean now? Why would I not be able to get the full-hand and classic case and just swap the PCB in between without de-soldering?

EDIT: Also, what color do those LEDs have at the moment? I couldn't find anything on Massdrop's page pertaining to color.

1: https://www.massdrop.com/dox-ergo.php
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 05:55:48 by mSSM »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
[Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1492 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 05:55:41 »
^ I think the problem is a layer of the case is the plate. So if you don't use the plate, you're missing a layer of the case.
But I would figure you could still swap, and the one layer would just have a gap on the classic hand.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1493 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 05:59:20 »
I am about to join the Massdrop GB myself, and I am a bit confused about the mounting of the switches:
As I understand it, the design of the keyboard supports both, PCB- and plate-mounted switches. What are we going to get? From the assembly instructions [1] I get that we have to solder the switches to the PCB - i.e. we will get switches with PCB-mounting pins.

However, dorkvader wrote in his mass email:
The PCB supports PCB mounted switches. The mounting plate supports phantom-style easy switch removal.

What exactly does that mean now? Why would I not be able to get the full-hand and classic case and just swap the PCB in between without de-soldering?

EDIT: Also, what color do those LEDs have at the moment? I couldn't find anything on Massdrop's page pertaining to color.

1: https://www.massdrop.com/dox-ergo.php
they only have plate mount switches which is fine because there is a plate

Offline L!athus

« Reply #1494 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 06:06:39 »

Ah, but I was talking about full hand and classic case and you are right-for that I would need to desolder.
So two keyboards after all

Litster has a design which you could just swap easily between a full hand and a classic case wihout the need to desolder/resolder to swap the plates. The one included in the GB doesn't come with that option, but it is still doable via some modification to the full hand case. You can overlay the classic plate layer on top of the full hand plate layer and trim out the area covered by the overlayed classic plate layer. At the end of it you will get a 2 piece plate layer that fits on both classic and full hand. Additional screw holes for securing the modified layers is needed, if necessary.

For acrylic, after the modification. You could apply hand polish using dry sanding + wet sanding (time consuming) on the side of the cut or use a blow torch to flame polish, if you know how to work with acrylic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 06:36:43 by L!athus »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1495 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:19:34 »
lhere is the current mess revision of my ErgoDox layout

and yes i know most of this stuff isnt possibly unless i find a way to get hasu's firmware on the thing.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1496 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:01:41 »
i hope that kind of stuff is possible. i really hope these get shipped in February or i am gonna burst.

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #1497 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:46:45 »

and yes i know most of this stuff isnt possibly unless i find a way to get hasu's firmware on the thing.
Nice blueprint you got there. Since I am used to the truly ergonomic keyboard I will probably have the enter
and backspace keys in the middle or on the thumbs.  Generally don't like pressing keys with my pinky...

Offline ic07

« Reply #1498 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 13:21:14 »

If you want mouse keys before someone does that, it seems like they should be emulatable in software (I've only done a cursory search, but the results looked hopeful). And I think (but can't confirm at the moment) that media keys are just a matter of finding the right keycodes... (mute, vol+, and vol- are standard, and work already, on my Mac at least).

I know there are other features hasu's firmware has that mine doesn't at the moment, but I don't see them on the layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #1499 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 13:26:58 »

Nice blueprint you got there. Since I am used to the truly ergonomic keyboard I will probably have the enter
and backspace keys in the middle or on the thumbs.  Generally don't like pressing keys with my pinky...
Yea I dont regularly use ergonomic keyboards and have mostly non ergonomic so i set it up so it would be semi easy to transition between them