Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1236579 times)

Offline TastyShrimp

Re: [Interest Check] ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1600 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 03:45:25 »
Does the current PCB layout allow for adding LEDs to all keys? If not, would there be a way to add in additional LEDs another way?

Offline L!athus

« Reply #1601 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 06:56:33 »
Does the current PCB layout allow for adding LEDs to all keys? If not, would there be a way to add in additional LEDs another way?
the pcb doesn't support LEDs for the rest of the switches other than those 3 on extreme side of each board by design afaik. More knowledgeable person should be able to answer the second part of your qns.

DT thread has gone from bad to worse, discussion/chit chats over there is no longer a joy. Sadly, it has escalated to the point of pissing off  Dox. :eek: The atmosphere is as tense as DMZ..... :)) That said I will just post my  :eek: of DataDox here. ;D The project will be a new talk of the community. Kudos to Dox.

@ic07
I have misinterpret the "tactile feedback" term and you are right about a physical switch, even without the tactile bump, does still gives the feedback to your fingers that you are hitting on a key as opposed to just touching on a flat plane. Its a different "feel" and I hope I got it right this time. :D  As for the O-rings, I have only come across in the past 70~90a nitrile rubber O-rings with a compatible inner diameter and good enough thickness to significantly reduce key travel. Those mostly come at a quantities of 40-50/pack. Anyways, good luck with your experimentation on the switches. I don't have the knowledge of whether a custom made spring or with a combination of other mat could provide the end result you are after in theory. The only thing I can come out with is double springs, but there isn't enough room in the switch housing for that.  :))

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1602 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 10:22:41 »
Well, certain people over DT have their philosophical reasons to be cranky.  It's unfortunate that its happening right in Dox's thread, though.  I'd be pissed too.
Russ

Offline AloisiusFauxly

Re: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #1603 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 15:14:27 »
I feel bad for my contribution to the tense mood on DT, but a certain admin over there just kept on saying things that compelled me to respond.

It's a great keyboard, Dox. Sorry for the drama.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1604 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 15:17:03 »
...but a certain admin over there just kept on saying things that compelled me to respond.

That's what webwit wanted
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Tensor

« Reply #1605 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 15:27:57 »
Hello :)

Just wanted to drop in and say I ordered two pairs of PCBs and a collection of brown switches and tops from WASD for the both of them.

This will be my first mechanical keyboard, already dabbled a little in ergonomic membrane keyboards, but after trying mechanical, the ergodox seems like the best way to go forward. Really looking forward to getting all parts to me, a little less about the customs fees I'm going to have to pay  :-X

From what I've seen, it seems like a great design and hopefully it will last me for some time. Plus it being open hardware is even better. Now where will I get two housings for the keyboard.  :eek:

Offline sordna

« Reply #1606 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 15:56:35 »
Hi Tensor, welcome to GH!
Did you get the other components (teensy, diodes, LEDs, IO expander, connectors, cables, etc) ?  I wonder if there's a one-stop-shop that has ALL the electronic parts (except maybe for the teensy), anyone know?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1607 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 15:59:55 »
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Tensor

« Reply #1608 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:05:13 »
Did you get the other components (teensy, diodes, LEDs, IO expander, connectors, cables, etc) ?  I wonder if there's a one-stop-shop that has ALL the electronic parts (except maybe for the teensy), anyone know?

Ordered the IO expander, USB female, male parts and the 3.5mm 4-pole from digikey, since they are a bit of a pain to find elsewhere. I expect to be shafted up the ass with shipping charges.

Already have two teensy v2 (and two v3), diodes are ordered, LEDs I have a ton-load, though I have to check that they are T1s 3mms. I figured I try to hack in a 5mm T1 RGB LED and have configurable lights ;)

The only thing left is the housing itself, which I have no idea where I will source it from. Need to check a few places, I would very much like to try a housing made from wood, just for the fun of it.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1609 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:08:24 »
Dox has Digikey P/Ns right here:

http://ergodox.org/Hardware.aspx
Russ

Offline Dox

« Reply #1610 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:27:50 »

Ordered the IO expander, USB female, male parts and the 3.5mm 4-pole from digikey, since they are a bit of a pain to find elsewhere. I expect to be shafted up the ass with shipping charges.

Already have two teensy v2 (and two v3), diodes are ordered, LEDs I have a ton-load, though I have to check that they are T1s 3mms. I figured I try to hack in a 5mm T1 RGB LED and have configurable lights ;)

The only thing left is the housing itself, which I have no idea where I will source it from. Need to check a few places, I would very much like to try a housing made from wood, just for the fun of it.

You can order a Shapeways case directly from my shapeways profile.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Dox

It's a bit expensive but I've been using 2 of them for the last 9 months and I love them!
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1611 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:41:38 »
just popping in to congratulate everyone on a successful project. hopefully everything goes well and we can revisit the design for refinements and a round 2 once v1's popularity blows up :)

eta: oh, and HUGE PROPS TO DOX for driving this, doing most if not all the hard work, and undeservedly taking everyone's **** along the way. *cue wayne's world 'we're not worthy!'*
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:43:16 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Tensor

« Reply #1612 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:48:44 »

It's a bit expensive but I've been using 2 of them for the last 9 months and I love them!

Bookmarked! But first I need to check out a local 3D printer, since I'd like to try and keep the costs down at this point (doubt I will succeed). It's gotten a bit out of control toward the end ;D Though I doubt his prices will be lower than shapeways.

Never saw you mention which version you are using, the flat, sloped or double sloped? It's a person preference, but I still like to get some information how they compare to each other :) Though creating just the slopes and attaching them to the flat case would seem to be the best way forward for this, since that leaves a few doors opened.

Edit:
I am looking forward to ditching the MS Ergonomic 4000 for your keyboard design. Should be a whole different world of ergonomics, especially with the mechanical switches. :3
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:51:35 by Tensor »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1613 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 16:54:19 »

They do look good in your pics.  The shapeways prices add up quick.
Russ

Offline AloisiusFauxly

« Reply #1614 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:27:08 »
That's what webwit wanted

It's always great when the admin of a site is a troll.

Offline gdaian

« Reply #1615 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:28:39 »
That 3D-printable case looks nice. I'm regretting not snatching an extra pcb set since 3D printing is bound to become cheaper and a slanted case would be sweet.

What else could 3D printing offer in terms of case design? Custom wrist rests come to mind.

Offline Dox

« Reply #1616 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:30:35 »
just popping in to congratulate everyone on a successful project. hopefully everything goes well and we can revisit the design for refinements and a round 2 once v1's popularity blows up :)

eta: oh, and HUGE PROPS TO DOX for driving this, doing most if not all the hard work, and undeservedly taking everyone's **** along the way. *cue wayne's world 'we're not worthy!'*
Thanks a lot, but I have to spread the props to bphiphany for the mirror PCBs, ic07 for the firmware and litster for the layered acrylic case. And everyone who supported the project!

Bookmarked! But first I need to check out a local 3D printer, since I'd like to try and keep the costs down at this point (doubt I will succeed). It's gotten a bit out of control toward the end ;D Though I doubt his prices will be lower than shapeways.

Never saw you mention which version you are using, the flat, sloped or double sloped? It's a person preference, but I still like to get some information how they compare to each other :) Though creating just the slopes and attaching them to the flat case would seem to be the best way forward for this, since that leaves a few doors opened.

Edit:
I am looking forward to ditching the MS Ergonomic 4000 for your keyboard design. Should be a whole different world of ergonomics, especially with the mechanical switches. :3

I started with a flat PCB and sloping it by sticking pipe insulation under it. Then, the sloped case from shapeways and after some more experimentation, I ordered the double sloped. I prefer the double slope but as you said, with a flat case you could slope it exactly the way you want and it's cheaper too.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1617 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:39:28 »
Thanks a lot, but I have to spread the props to bphiphany for the mirror PCBs, ic07 for the firmware and litster for the layered acrylic case. And everyone who supported the project!

Yeah, thanks Dox and everyone else.  This is a really unique project for grass roots and those involved should be really proud of it, regardless of the chosen GB organizer.

I'm hoping this thing will force me to learn to type properly.  :p
Russ

Offline wasabah

« Reply #1618 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:51:02 »
Good idea about attaching the slopes. I guess that will be an addon later on that I want to try out! :)

Me being a mechanical keyboard noob and all that I headed to Akihabara last Sunday to check the different Cherry MX switches out.
I tested them on some Filco boards and was really happy, that apparently I wasn't the only one who would type and type and type for nothing. ;)
There where quite some other guys doing the same, so we always had to wait for each other! :D

It really didn't make my choice much easier though. I loved the feedback of the blue ones, but due to the higher force needed I excluded them.
Next was a hard battle between Red and Brown and I can't really say which one I prefer.
But the red one being so light, I went for a compromise after all and ordered Browns from 7bit.

I'm so excited for this!! :)
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline ic07

« Reply #1619 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 03:45:57 »
@gdaian
I'm a bit too tired to be predicting difficulty at the moment... lol (and difficulty is relative anyway) - it'd definitely be possible, and not bad compared to other things - but implementing it in any general way, I'm pretty sure, would take more time than I have right now... sorry.  That said, depending on the form of the chords you envision making, I feel like there's a good chance you could emulate it in a reasonable number of layers... and if you can do it in 10 layers or less (actually... the real limit on layers is much much higher...), you're good :) .  What do you think?

@Zalusithis
That interface looking great - I'm going to have to look at your code some day :-)

@bisl (but mostly @Zalusithis)
If you want macros before the rewrite is finished, and you're generating C code to compile already anyway, it seems like you could generate new key-functions without much trouble.  IIRC they could even be defiend inside the layout file, since it's only function pointers that get referenced outside that anyway.  The code would look something like
Code: [Select]
void local_kbfun_macro00(void) {
    _kbfun_press_release(true,  _H);
    usb_keyboard_send();
    _kbfun_press_release(false, _H);
    _kbfun_press_release(true,  _I);
    usb_keyboard_send();
    _kbfun_press_release(false, _I);
    // ...
}
(You also might need to include some extra headers... see here for some of the key-functions that are already defined).

Of course "without much trouble" could very well still be more trouble than it's worth for you at the moment... :-) just thought I'd mention.

@TastyShrimp
About adding LEDs to all the switches (even though the PCB doesn't support them)... It'd be a hardware mod, and the complexity would depend on precisely what you wanted to do.  It would at least involve a lot of hand wiring of LEDs and resistors to the Teensy||USB Vcc & GND pins (in the case that you wanted the LEDs at a constant brightness, always on).  If you wanted them dimmable or anything, you'd probably have to add extra chips, and things could become quite complicated.

@L!athus
Hmm... The O-rings at WASD are all either 50A or 40A.  I'll have to look around for other O-rings later then.  Thanks!

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1620 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:04:00 »
Mass drop just created a layout GUI
Keyboards:

Pointing Devices:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1621 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:10:47 »
Heer's a link: https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?
It appears you do not need to be logged in to massdrop to play with it. I'll play with it and see if I like it.

You do need to be logged in to download or save your layouts though.

It's based on the ergodox-firmware code in github. Props to us for being awesome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:12:58 by dorkvader »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1622 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:31:30 »
Heer's a link: https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?
It appears you do not need to be logged in to massdrop to play with it. I'll play with it and see if I like it.

You do need to be logged in to download or save your layouts though.

It's based on the ergodox-firmware code in github. Props to us for being awesome.

I never expected MD to do this...very clever indeed.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline calavera

« Reply #1623 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:44:15 »
Just got an email from MD that they won't accept any more participants as the group buy is over. :(

Offline sordna

« Reply #1624 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:11:39 »

Yes, what a pleasant surprise! Kudos to them for actually becoming contributors to the project! In stark contrast, TrulyErgonomic still doesn't have their long promised overdue remapping software available.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #1625 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:13:41 »
Wow that remapping GUI is awesome.  So simple to use.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1626 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:22:40 »
Who's Ben Blazek? (Is that OrangeJewce?)
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:25:44 by SmallFry »

Offline Larken

« Reply #1627 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:33:39 »
Who's Ben Blazek? (Is that OrangeJewce?)

That's ic07.

Amazingly simple to use. Looking good, can't wait for my ErgoDox!
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1628 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:34:37 »
Me too!

Offline bisl

« Reply #1629 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:37:53 »
For the record, add a query of ?keys=80 to the URL if you want to split the 2x thumb keys :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1630 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:42:53 »
Sweet! Super awesome!

Offline bisl

« Reply #1631 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:25:02 »
Aaaand I highly recommend that everyone goes through http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php in case you want to round out your collection of 1.5x caps, of which you'll need a dozen per board. ;)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1632 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:31:16 »
Aaaand I highly recommend that everyone goes through http://www.keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php in case you want to round out your collection of 1.5x caps, of which you'll need a dozen per board. ;)

and 4 2x caps, and 8 extra 1x if you're using a standard ANSI DCS profile set.

Cheers,

Offline sordna

« Reply #1633 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:37:02 »
I bought 2 sets of keycaps from Kinesis, plus the PBT set from MD. I have a feeling the Kinesis set will work well, but I'll probably mix and match since the ErgoDox has more keys.

Offline bisl

« Reply #1634 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:39:28 »
and 4 2x caps, and 8 extra 1x if you're using a standard ANSI DCS profile set.

Not to mention the 10 extra SP-row-4 keys located two rows beneath home row--turns out you actually need quite a few new keys for this thing, hah. I just put in a fairly monstrous order. :|

For the 8 on the thumb clusters, I actually tried to buy appropriate row profiles, meaning SP row 1 for the top two on each thumb cluster, and then SP rows 2 and 3 for the other rows, plus a homing bar for the middle key on each thumb's bottom row. We'll see how it goes!

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #1635 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 13:34:09 »
Well the fact that MD created a web based configuration tool is certainly surprising. I can't say it really change my plans, as I plan on forging ahead just the same. It does, however,  lower any pressing need to have it operational quickly.

@bisl (but mostly @Zalusithis)
If you want macros before the rewrite is finished, and you're generating C code to compile already anyway, it seems like you could generate new key-functions without much trouble.  IIRC they could even be defiend inside the layout file, since it's only function pointers that get referenced outside that anyway.  The code would look something like
Code: [Select]
void local_kbfun_macro00(void) {
    _kbfun_press_release(true,  _H);
    usb_keyboard_send();
    _kbfun_press_release(false, _H);
    _kbfun_press_release(true,  _I);
    usb_keyboard_send();
    _kbfun_press_release(false, _I);
    // ...
}
(You also might need to include some extra headers... see here for some of the key-functions that are already defined).

I actually contemplated doing something like that. Now that MD has created a configuration tool and I have more freedom, I'll attempt to integrate an ad-hoc macro mode into it for the existing firmware. It was on the drawing board anyhow from a UI perspective as I knew it would eventually be implemented officially.

If anything, I'm still figuring out how I want to present manual key function selection. Branching context menus ala MD's version don't really fit the rest of my UI. Ah well, I have a few more days before the weekend coding session to figure that out. In the mean time, even though MD has surely lowered interest in it, I've attached a pic of last night's adjustments. The layer controls are not fully hooked up to the keyboard script yet, so it's pretty much just a visual representation with static labels.

On a side note, one semantic difference I'm implementing vs MD's version and even the firmware is that I'm designating 'layer 1' as the base layer and not 'layer 0'. It'll be converted on the firmware side of things to be zero based, but for configuration and talking, It'll be one based. Zero based indexes are fine (great even) for programming, but I find they're not exactly ideal for general conversation and non programmers. Zero in the real world tends to represent nothing, not the first of something.

Offline ic07

« Reply #1636 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:47:48 »
I'm surprised too... lol.  But I think it's pretty cool :-) .  Hope you're not disappointed that they got to it before us OJ...  And thanks for promoting the idea, even before anyone really cared :-)

@Zalusithix
-------
I'm glad it didn't kill your project - it's looking like yours will be the more technical of the UIs, which I hope/think there will be a good place for.  I'm still curious to see how you end up implementing some things.
-------
I thought you might have contemplated doing macros that way in the meantime...  You're a more experienced programmer than I, and you seem to have understood the firmware source pretty well, so I hope I don't go about suggesting too many obvious things :-)

Offline Tensor

« Reply #1637 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:09:40 »
Gah, I know this isn't really the place for this, but I can't open threads in group buys yet.

I'm assembling two Ergodox keyboards from PCBs, so I have to order some components from Digikey, since I can't find them anywhere else, namely the IO expander, mini USB connectors and the 3.5mm 4-pole jacks. The price for 1 set of these costs ~9$ and the shipping to Europe is around 30 to 50$  :eek:
If anyone whos also from Europe would like to join me on the buy (you can specify which components, but please no diodes or switches ;)) so we can split the shipping (and the appropriate customs VAT for each ones sub-order)? I can forward all the initial money, so I just need to see if anyone is interested in this.

Even better if someone could make a thread about this in the group buy section so we don't spam this thread with irrelevant information? If someone else (eg. long standing member, whos a bit more thrust worthy than me) would order instead and is also inside of the EU, that would just as well ;)

I'll try to get to 60 posts ASAP, but without spamming it will take a bit of time :)

/sleep
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:11:35 by Tensor »

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1638 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:10:41 »
Have you checked farnell?
Russ

Offline sordna

« Reply #1639 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:14:52 »
I think you would find more people from Europe in Deskthority, which would give you better chances I suspect. Have you seen these threads?

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/split-ergonomic-keyboard-project-t1753-1230.html
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/ergodox-the-keyboard-t5072.html

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #1640 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:57:43 »

Yes, what a pleasant surprise! Kudos to them for actually becoming contributors to the project! In stark contrast, TrulyErgonomic still doesn't have their long promised overdue remapping software available.

Just in case you haven't seen it, it's possible to remap the keys for the Truly Ergonomic, though just with a text/hex editor rather than any proper UI. I've got mine set to Colemak layout on the "Windows" layer and Qwerty on the "Mac" layer. You could do something similar with Dvorak. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38943.0
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline gdaian

« Reply #1641 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:30:23 »
depending on the form of the chords you envision making, I feel like there's a good chance you could emulate it in a reasonable number of layers... and if you can do it in 10 layers or less (actually... the real limit on layers is much much higher...), you're good :) .  What do you think?

What I had in mind was full chording for letters (something like chordmak) or some hybrid. But layer-based ghetto chording will have to do. Thanks for all the work you've put into the firmware, it's already awesome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:03:14 by gdaian »

Offline ic07

« Reply #1642 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 20:38:14 »
What I had in mind was full chording for letters (something like chordmak) or some hybrid. But layer-based ghetto chording will have to do. Thanks for all the work you've put into the firmware, it's already awesome.

Thanks :). Sorry I can't do more to help...  Hope the implementation works out well for you though :). You've gotten me thinking a bit about other input metaphors besides just the standard key->actuon / layer one. I'll have to keep it in the back of my mind for possibly sometime later.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1643 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 08:16:10 »
I completely missed the PBT keycap set. Did anyone order extra?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #1644 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 08:21:49 »
I completely missed the PBT keycap set. Did anyone order extra?

Do you think there would be interest in a DCS profile PBT Gb dork? I suppose we could start an IC for one :/

Cheers,

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1645 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 10:08:16 »
I know MD had mentioned the possibility of a DCS profile group buy after the DSA completed/shipped.  They didn't want to split their current orders between two simultaneous orders.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline bisl

« Reply #1646 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 11:10:34 »
I know MD had mentioned the possibility of a DCS profile group buy after the DSA completed/shipped.  They didn't want to split their current orders between two simultaneous orders.

I hope that wasn't really their reasoning, considering that the mere possibility of a future DCS buy is enough to stop lots of people from buying in on a DSA buy. You'd think they could have worked out a deal with SP to organize both buys at the same time if this was actually the case.

Personally I just bought a bunch of SP's blank 1.5s and I'm going to continue using my current PBT DCS-like set. We'll see how it goes!

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #1647 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 11:12:44 »
I'm debating picking up blanks, too, after you mentioned them yesterday.

Going to see how the DSA turns out.  Never used the profile before.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #1648 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:52:11 »
I'm surprised too... lol.  But I think it's pretty cool :-) .  Hope you're not disappointed that they got to it before us OJ...  And thanks for promoting the idea, even before anyone really cared :-)

@Zalusithix
-------
I'm glad it didn't kill your project - it's looking like yours will be the more technical of the UIs, which I hope/think there will be a good place for.  I'm still curious to see how you end up implementing some things.
-------
I thought you might have contemplated doing macros that way in the meantime...  You're a more experienced programmer than I, and you seem to have understood the firmware source pretty well, so I hope I don't go about suggesting too many obvious things :-)
Considering you don't have anything to judge my experience by other than a few screen caps and some forum comments, I wouldn't underestimate yourself like that. =) I've been away from coding long enough to get rusty - especially on the web side of things. Thankfully this project is well suited to hacking together while I learn the ropes again so to speak. Of course, said hacking is making things so that code cleanup is probably going to take as long as getting it fully functional lol...

At any rate, I've now hooked up actual code to most of the previously shown interface. It can now add layers, move layers (basically rename layer x to layer y and shift everything in between by one), and delete layers (except base). Right clicking on a key now serves to unset the key to a null key on layer 1, and toggles between null key and transparent on any other layer. Now I have to get deletion and moving of layers to sanitize and correct any layer links that were affected by the action. After that,  I'll have to implement the preview stack mode. Then I can finally move on to adding more UI elements to control manual entry and macros... If the stars align just right, I might have a (non server assisted) demo up by the end of the weekend to demonstrate it.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #1649 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 01:45:24 »
After seeing Massdrops configurator, I no longer plan on working on my own. I didn't plan on making anything advanced by any means, so the difference between mine and theirs would be too little to make it worth the effort. The only thing we seem to have done differently, is assigning of the keys themselves.
I had made a small interface, to filter / select keys with, which I personally think is faster than the right-click menu they've made. But that's about it. And theirs is prettier!
Still looking forward to seeing what Zalusithix hacks together, it seems like it could be a more full-featured-ish.
I like cats.