Author Topic: Returning from the Dead - Advice Welcome  (Read 1640 times)

Offline funxion

Returning from the Dead - Advice Welcome
« on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 12:18:33 »
Hello Geekhack!

I haven't been active on here since '14, but back now looking for some recommendations. I currently have a white Filco MJ2 TKL (browns) with very dark gray PBT key caps (black labels).

Big fan of my current look, but I'd like to go wireless. Basically looking for a similar, basic, bluetooth-enabled, white TKL keyboard with silent reds (since that's what my key caps are compatible with). Anyone have ideas?

For reference: the Varmilo VA87M is a great reference. I would get it if it was bluetooth-enabled.

Sidebar: I haven't used Logitech products for 10-12 years, but also considering the G Pro Wireless gaming mouse. If you can't tell, I'm trying to get rid of some cables :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 12:28:58 by funxion »
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline Maledicted

Re: Returning from the Dead - Advice Welcome
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:39:56 »
Welcome back from the grave, funxion. By saying that silent reds are what your caps are compatible with, do you just mean that silent reds are your preference for switches with MX stems? I imagine something in white, with silent reds, and also bluetooth may be a tall order. I don't see many retail options at all with silent reds vs alternatives.

I think that Logitech is probably still king of the hill for wireless peripherals. I imagine that's a good mouse, but I haven't used it. I honestly haven't used anything wireless other than one of their ancient keyboards with an integrated trackpad in years. Everything I could recommend would only be based on doing some research. I imagine Leslieann might have some good insights though, in regards to wireless peripherals.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:51:37 »
Not sure if it's possible, but filco has a wireless option that could potentially be compatible with your current filco case. Wish I knew someone with one, so I could test that for myself as well.

Offline funxion

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:31:13 »
Welcome back from the grave, funxion. By saying that silent reds are what your caps are compatible with, do you just mean that silent reds are your preference for switches with MX stems? I imagine something in white, with silent reds, and also bluetooth may be a tall order. I don't see many retail options at all with silent reds vs alternatives.

I think that Logitech is probably still king of the hill for wireless peripherals. I imagine that's a good mouse, but I haven't used it. I honestly haven't used anything wireless other than one of their ancient keyboards with an integrated trackpad in years. Everything I could recommend would only be based on doing some research. I imagine Leslieann might have some good insights though, in regards to wireless peripherals.

Thanks! I was under the impression that the key caps I have (they're on Cherry MX Browns right now) are only compatible with Cherry MX switches. The Cherry MX Silent Red switches are just my preference for my next keyboard as I'd like to reduce the noise a bit and can also do without the tactile click of the Cherry MX Brown switches.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 16:00:25 »

Thanks! I was under the impression that the key caps I have (they're on Cherry MX Browns right now) are only compatible with Cherry MX switches. The Cherry MX Silent Red switches are just my preference for my next keyboard as I'd like to reduce the noise a bit and can also do without the tactile click of the Cherry MX Brown switches.

Man, you've missed a lot, though I think there were Cherry clones widely available even in 2014? There's a vast spectrum of switches available now with MX stems, be they MX clones that are actually better/more consistently made than their inspiration, or of novel design unrelated to MX. What you mean to say then is that you specifically want silent linears? I have some Kailh box silent reds coming to play with, eventually, once they finally arrive. I have read particularly good things about Gateron silent black inks. It is unfortunate that that seems to be the only weighting that Kaihua presently makes them in. I think people also generally like Zeal's silent linears, but they're far from cheap. I'm sure there are plenty of others. I'm usually a clicky guy.

Offline funxion

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 13:32:03 »
I've boiled it down to two options...

Option #1: Shoot for an 87-key TKL board that has silent linears regardless of support for current MX-style PBT key caps (leaning towards something comparable to Cherry MX Reds when it comes to actuation force).

Option #2: Shoot for any 87- or 104-key board that has silent linears or Topre switches.

In either case, I was hoping for recommendations that included bluetooth support.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 22:44:33 »
About the only wireless stuff I would buy would be Logitech.
There is some bluetooth stuff that isn't garbage but it's very hit or miss and still not great for gaming. You may not care about the gaming side but do you want to spend $200 on something that works merely meh.

We should have good wireless by now, especially with how mature bluetooth is but frankly, it's just not for most companies, especially smaller ones who rely on others for the tech.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 23:32:20 »
I don't know that I would even want to use anything wireless for gaming, but I usually don't use anything wireless to begin with unless wires are less practical in a given application. Batteries suck. When I was still using consoles I even started running cables for my wireless controllers again, and still do for the odd game with horrific mouse and keyboard mapping and configuration options.