Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1312640 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4500 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 19:19:53 »
i mean i abx'd it just now it's not like it's a subtle difference...

The main problem is..

How to establish a reference point..

If you've heard no Proper demonstration of what sounded right..

Comparison and rankings could not be made.

They're all equivalently good whispers of what MAY be the right sound..

Which is why those who invest in high end audiophile gear  are daft people..

Especially the middle of the road people..   

this isn't about what sounds right, this is just stock cable = less bass, new cable = more bass. 3.5mm y splitter, 1 cable for one ear, another cable for the other ear. very clear noticeable difference. whether one is "better" than the other or not, I don't really care. was just a simple observation

Hahaha.

Don't take it personally Sifo,

No judgement here..

I just don't want the   Warm and Transparent  conartists to take foothold against real engineering .

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4501 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 06:13:50 »
Knew this moratorium on headphone purchases wouldn't last, saw a great deal for an Audio Technica ATH-R70x and couldn't resist it. Here's a pic of it with its 'cousins'. WIll give my impressions of it later, running it on my Fostex HP-A4, will move to my Oppo HA-1 or Gustard X12/H10 stack over the weekends.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4502 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 06:18:00 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.
Still deciding on how I'm going to mod it.
Liking it so far out of the box.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4503 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 06:21:57 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.

Just checked them out. Nice. Using them at home or you have a portable setup on you?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4504 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 06:42:52 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.

Just checked them out. Nice. Using them at home or you have a portable setup on you?

Using em for both at the moment.
For work with a dacport slim and at home with a grace desing m9xx.

Small ear pads hurt my ears, when I listen longer than 3-4 hours..
So i'm looking to replace them first.
But they say if you make the distance from your ears bigger the sound gets worse.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #4505 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 15:16:40 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.

But they say if you make the distance from your ears bigger the sound gets worse.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these and I am loving them not too much added distance, soft, nice padding, and also makes them a bit more open compared to the leather pads which I think makes them sound better.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #4506 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 18:53:05 »
It's like I'm on 4chan.
If it was 4chan we'd all be crouched under beds on laptops looking at and postinc horrific darknet things.
hi.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #4507 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 22:32:44 »
ik this sounds cheap but I have these-

Called alihen c8.
hi.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4508 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 22:35:45 »
Those LCD 4's seem so damn sexy, that payment plan Audede offers looks mighty tempting.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #4509 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 02:21:38 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005OM06RG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these and I am loving them not too much added distance, soft, nice padding, and also makes them a bit more open compared to the leather pads which I think makes them sound better.

Ended up getting the brainwav pads.
Sounds a lot better right away, it really makes it sound more open indeed.
It was a pain getting them on tho haha.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4510 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:44:11 »
Got myself a t50rp mk3.

Ended up getting the brainwav pads.
Sounds a lot better right away, it really makes it sound more open indeed.
It was a pain getting them on tho haha.

Do pads really affect the sound that much?

unrelated, could I get by using DT 770 250Ohms with no amp? Im looking at Schiit Magni if I do end up getting an amp and these cans.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #4511 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:50:31 »
I've got some modified DT-770s, I'd definitely pair it with an amp... Granted your source is good. No use in amplifying a poor source. Mine are running Modi Multibit > Vali 2 with a Gold Lion tube, they sound wonderful. I'd like to try a SS amp though. It has been a while since they were fed through one, but I remember it being nice. You can't go wrong with the Magni 2. Someone on the forums here was selling an Asgard 2 for like 140 USD, crazy deal. Might wanna dig through there and find if it's still available.

Also, the Alpha Pads on the DT-770 is a crazy good pairing. They're expensive af, but they're really, really great.

I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline ygor

« Reply #4512 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:54:14 »
Here's a link to the Asgard 2 ad on here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85863.0

If you're in the market for an amp, I'd snatch that sucker up. I'm trying to stop myself from buying it.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4513 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:54:48 »
I've got some modified DT-770s, I'd definitely pair it with an amp... Granted your source is good. No use in amplifying a poor source. Mine are running Modi Multibit > Vali 2 with a Gold Lion tube, they sound wonderful. I'd like to try a SS amp though. It has been a while since they were fed through one, but I remember it being nice. You can't go wrong with the Magni 2. Someone on the forums here was selling an Asgard 2 for like 140 USD, crazy deal. Might wanna dig through there and find if it's still available.

Also, the Alpha Pads on the DT-770 is a crazy good pairing. They're expensive af, but they're really, really great.

My whole library except for a few bootleg live shows are all FLAC. lowest is like 290Kbps. and LAMB LEATHER?! really? why not sheep leather :/

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4514 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:58:14 »
Here's a link to the Asgard 2 ad on here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85863.0

If you're in the market for an amp, I'd snatch that sucker up. I'm trying to stop myself from buying it.

Ill leave that one to you. As my quote says, shipping that to HI would be ridiculous.

Offline ygor

« Reply #4515 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 20:59:12 »
and LAMB LEATHER?! really? why not sheep leather :/

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4516 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:01:31 »
and LAMB LEATHER?! really? why not sheep leather :/

Im just going to ignore that...

Offline ygor

« Reply #4517 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:06:11 »
Ill leave that one to you. As my quote says, shipping that to HI would be ridiculous.

Not really... ! Domestic shipping would be less than 25 dollars (and that's for Priority mail). AFAIK that amp is in Texas.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4518 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:16:29 »

Not really... ! Domestic shipping would be less than 25 dollars (and that's for Priority mail). AFAIK that amp is in Texas.
according to usps and amazon's dimensions, the shipping from austin to HI would be $30.81. Too expensive for me. The amp is $40 more expensive than the Magni 2 also. The deals all yours ;)

Offline ygor

« Reply #4519 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 21:24:06 »
I'd be so sad if I couldn't unload the Asgard 2 110 USD under retail with a sad little OBO marker next to it. Remind me to never buy another amp.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4520 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 02:44:48 »
I'd consider the V20 an audio related purchase (with Smartphone benefits) as it's just about the best sound I've heard coming from a cellphone. I'd put it above my Fiio X3 II (thus making it redundant) in SQ. Some have said it performs like a mid tier DAP, clean and clear and transparent. Plug in a high impedance headphone, and it switches to a more powerful sound (apparently, the headphone jack detects a high impedance can - =/> 50 Ohm - connected to it and will power the can accordingly). I tired my ATH-R70x (98dB sensitivity, 470 Ohm) and the phone powered it with authority with room to spare. Even heard of some trying their Audeze LCD's on the V20 and coming away pleased with what they hear. Heck, I'm now wondering what to do with my HiFiMan HM901s and Fiio X3 II......that's how good the phone sounds to me. :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 02:47:11 by PadawanGeek »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4521 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 03:12:42 »
I'd consider the V20 an audio related purchase (with Smartphone benefits) as it's just about the best sound I've heard coming from a cellphone. I'd put it above my Fiio X3 II (thus making it redundant) in SQ. Some have said it performs like a mid tier DAP, clean and clear and transparent. Plug in a high impedance headphone, and it switches to a more powerful sound (apparently, the headphone jack detects a high impedance can - =/> 50 Ohm - connected to it and will power the can accordingly). I tired my ATH-R70x (98dB sensitivity, 470 Ohm) and the phone powered it with authority with room to spare. Even heard of some trying their Audeze LCD's on the V20 and coming away pleased with what they hear. Heck, I'm now wondering what to do with my HiFiMan HM901s and Fiio X3 II......that's how good the phone sounds to me. :thumb:
Show Image

Nice. Sounds like a very promising phone if I ever think about changing my LG G2. But some people I know has a Nexus 6P and they say that everything is super nice except that it's a shovel. How you're getting along with it's shear size? And maybe you know how would V20 compare to a G5 with B&O module? Can't really find a comparison between V20 and G5+B&O module.

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4522 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 14:23:23 »
I recently picked up a pair of T50RP MK3's as well. I'm currently using the Brainwavz hybrid pads on them and they're quite nice.

I ordered the Mayflower V1 kit today and the Shure HPAEC1540 alcantara pads as well. Excited to see how big of a difference there is between the pads and pre/post modding.  :)
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4523 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 23:41:28 »
Nice. Sounds like a very promising phone if I ever think about changing my LG G2. But some people I know has a Nexus 6P and they say that everything is super nice except that it's a shovel. How you're getting along with it's shear size? And maybe you know how would V20 compare to a G5 with B&O module? Can't really find a comparison between V20 and G5+B&O module.
I'm in Asia, so mine's the one with the B&O moniker, so I guess it's been tuned by B&O. As for size, I've always been dealing with phones that are a little on the large side, like my old Note 3 and LG G Pro 2 (both 5.7" screen size), compromised a little with the Xperia Z5 Premium at 5.5" and now back to 5.7" again with the V20.....so, size's not an issue with me. Been trying out a couple of cans on it, it sounds pretty good with good clarity, nice tight bass....no distortion at higher volumes. I tried it with my ATH-R70x (470 ohm, 98 dB sensitivity) and my modded T50RP (50 ohm, 98 dB) and I could get to loud enough volume with room to spare.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4524 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 14:42:50 »

KZ ATR

Got these from the 11.11 sale on AliExpress. Four dollars but well, I'm really really impressed. Been listening to them for about half hour and they're probably the best sounding audio equipment I've used for that kind of price.

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #4525 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 15:57:24 »
figured I'd post my humble setup here :)

I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4526 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 00:20:11 »
I keep thinking about getting back in this, but the only headphones I want to upgrade into are the elears...

Well, maybe PM3 or meze 99 classics. But that would take away from shoes and guns and I listen to music more in the car again and I need to drop another $1000ish on parts for that build out.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4527 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 02:37:42 »
Blorp
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 December 2016, 02:39:45 by E3E »

Offline sems

« Reply #4528 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 04:44:13 »
No HD25 love here? It's the most comfortable on ear available right now with Velour pads. Great isolation. Sounds awesome, too. If you are looking for a light & sturdy headphone with little compromise in sound department, you should definitely try one.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4529 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 11:23:43 »
HD25, hmm?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4530 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 16:12:46 »
I keep thinking about getting back in this, but the only headphones I want to upgrade into are the elears...

Well, maybe PM3 or meze 99 classics. But that would take away from shoes and guns and I listen to music more in the car again and I need to drop another $1000ish on parts for that build out.

more ciems
I love Elzy

Offline Mavarina

« Reply #4531 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 09:52:56 »
Currently have the hd650 w/ the ifi idsd micro DAC and the Astell&Kern Angie II IEM. Looking to upgrade to Audeze headphones soon, but they're quite heavy ;D

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #4532 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 21:38:33 »
Currently have the Fender FAX7 in ears on my iPhone 7 and that stupid adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmbldrk

« Reply #4533 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 08:19:06 »
Currently have Sennheiser hd558s. Sound quality is pretty decent. A little light on the bass though.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4534 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:35:03 »
Recently upgraded a few things. Now running the HD700's, upgraded the DAC to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber (may go for the Bifrost or Jotunheim in the future), and just picked up the Asgard 2. The Asgard 2 made a considerable difference over the Magni 2 I had before. Bass is a bit stronger and definitely can hit faster.

Saving up for the RBH SV-61R's right now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:40:15 by do_Og@n »

Offline atarione

« Reply #4535 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 19:16:54 »
Got me this for xmas.. and some NOS USA made tubes.. currently RCA 6SN7GT and GE 6AS7GA ..quite liking it.   I have been using it as a preamp for my Sony TA-N77ES / JBL L1's quite frequently..right now actually.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4536 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 21:29:40 »
Any STAX fans here? I really just use my Portapros or earbuds like VE Monk most often.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4537 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 23:26:07 »
Any STAX fans here? I really just use my Portapros or earbuds like VE Monk most often.

i had an audition of the stax sr-009 earlier this year, incredibly detailed and bright sound, but i dont think ill ever be able to afford an electrostat setup :(

Offline classiccarguy92

« Reply #4538 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 00:21:35 »
I use my Graddo sr80 e's by far the best headphones I've ever used.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4539 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 14:51:30 »
It's like I'm on 4chan.
If it was 4chan we'd all be crouched under beds on laptops looking at and postinc horrific darknet things.

4chan not that hardcore tbh

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4540 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 17:50:44 »
PSB M4U 4 shipped out yesterday. Got them for 220aud which is almost half price here in australia, heard lots of good things about them on head-fi and other review sites but most of the time I don't really dig what head-fi loves to recommend.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2017, 00:55:37 by kekman »

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4541 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 00:58:10 »
psb m4u 4s arrived, they are everything head-fi made them out to be. great sounding IEMs for the price i spent, and a soundstage which makes you feel like you're wearing over ears sometimes. isolation and fit are also very nice, something i found was that after i squeezed in the IEMs into my ear canals, i had to slightly shift them back for an airier sound with wider soundstage and less bloated bass. not sure if that goes for all IEMs or if these are a special sound. I'm using comply foam tips btw.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4542 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 00:01:56 »
I am a fan of the JVC SZ2000. My only on ears are the Portapros. I have had hundreds of headphones in my life but these are the only full size ones I have not sold. Aside from these i just have some iem and earbud.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4543 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 16:08:20 »
Got a pair of Focal Sphears today for super cheap on amazon finally.

Totally worth it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4544 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 06:24:06 »
Got a pair of Focal Sphears today for super cheap on amazon finally.

Totally worth it.

18 driver CIEM or go home
I love Elzy

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4545 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 20:48:05 »
Picked up those hifiman he350 cans from massdrop... they arent comfortable for me but otherwise they sound ok. I think i'll sell em though and pick up something else to replace my seinnheiser hd85s.

-Dana

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #4546 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 02:06:06 »
Picked up those hifiman he350 cans from massdrop... they arent comfortable for me but otherwise they sound ok. I think i'll sell em though and pick up something else to replace my seinnheiser hd85s.
Show Image

Changing the pads can improve the comfort dramatically, but it'll also change the sound signature. On top of the discomfort, I found them to be a tad shrill and lacking in bass in stock form. I put Dekoni memory foam pads on my HE-350 and I am very pleased with the result.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4547 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 07:44:49 »
too bad they're not planar...
I love Elzy

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4548 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 15:14:07 »
too bad they're not planar...

thats why i didnt get them!

Offline atarione

« Reply #4549 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 01:31:05 »
I impulse ordered these from Japan... JVC HA-SR85-B ... I like that they look like nothing other people own.. paid about $70 for them shipped pretty well made for $70 ... sound good.. but bass is boosted as I expected when ordering so if you are wanting neutral headphones keep on going...

these aren't really sold in america and I don't think they have been engineered with my great big American noggin in mind.. been stretching them out over a box.. better now.. clamped WAAAY too much at first..

158228-0

wearing them on said great big American noggin'

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2017, 01:34:35 by atarione »