Author Topic: Keyboard search: Arrow key gamer...  (Read 2230 times)

Offline -allan-

Keyboard search: Arrow key gamer...
« on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 09:57:39 »
Hello All,

I'm not sure if this should go in the alternative layouts section or not, but I'm an arrow key gamer with specific requirements for the perfect keyboard, and I was hoping some of you good people could help me out.

I require a very specific key set like this (look at arrow keys):

http://direct.tesco.com/pi/Enlarge/2/AW07202-6002TPS187225.jpg

To point out the specifics:
There needs to be a row of keys above the forward arrow
The spaces between the Ctrl and 0 button and the left and right arrow keys should be narrow.
The right shift and right Ctrl need to be the furthest right keys on the keyset.
Bigger keys need to be equally pressable at any point
I like the big return key, but its not required.
I'd prefer a wider Right Ctrl key, but again not required.

What I don't seem to like:
Stiff keys (generally only experienced this on poor quality low prices keyboards)
Laptop keys

I've had a reasonable experience with trust power plus and trust blackstream keyboards, but I run into "ghosting" problems when using them.  If anyone could help me with a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

I also posted this on esr if anyones interested - http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2098359. it was from there that someone suggested posting here would be more appropriate.

Offline redpill

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 10:20:28 »
Do you use the number pad?

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline -allan-

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 10:28:01 »
Yes.

I'm a COD player, and have the numpad binded to prone, smoke, bash and sometimes push to talk.  I understand that I'm weird, but I really like my keyset and I've had keyboards that fulfill my requirements in the past.  Unfortunately these are generally no longer made, and in many cases I can't remember what models I was using 10 years ago. :P

Offline redpill

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 11:43:51 »
The lack of space between the up arrow and the home cluster will probably be the most challenging.  Good luck, I'll keep an eye out.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline pm_

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 13:09:08 »
I know you're hesitant to change your config, but it's sometimes worthwhile to put in the time and effort.  I swapped my mouse1 and spacebar, so they are now jump and +attack, respectively.  Took a week or two to get pretty used to it.  It's taken months to get my rocket jumps consistent though, as I had a tendency to hit +attack before jump...but I'd say it's been worth it.  It's nice being able to attack without putting ANY pressure on the mouse except movement.  Not to mention the difficulty in finding keyboards also makes it worthwhile.