Author Topic: [IC] 7V - 75% Keyboard (GB Live!)  (Read 516742 times)

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
Re: [IC] 7V - 75% Keyboard (06/06/2019 - PROTOTYPE ORDERED)
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 14:01:57 »
Hi Gok. Is there a story behind the name 7V?

7 is a special number for me & my partner. And V is the first letter of her initials... So I'll be buying two (one each!). This will probably be my last keyboard purchase (I just have too many and got to stop somewhere... For now at least).

Hopefully we get grey as an option as it matches quite well with keycap sets from your renders.

Hope we have gray as an option too. It matches the set I want so well in your renders.

I'm still confirming the maximum number of colours with the manufacturer but I want at least black, blue, grey and white to be in there and hopefully one more in either silver or blue/grey.

7 is a special number for me & my partner. And V is the first letter of her initials... So I'll be buying two (one each!). This will probably be my last keyboard purchase (I just have too many and got to stop somewhere... For now at least).

Hopefully we get grey as an option as it matches quite well with keycap sets from your renders.

The way I understand it is that this is a 75% board, and V is the roman numeral for 5. So 7V = 75. Just my guess though.

As lame as it is, that is correct. I wanted something short and that I could work with graphically to create a logo and it just happens that my first name starts with V also.

Offline crosscutgymnast

« Reply #401 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 14:51:23 »
Army green or olive green would look super nice too with the black PVD weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline walie

« Reply #402 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 17:40:52 »

Yeah, and if only there was a keycap set that would work with olive green...

Offline SourZespri

« Reply #403 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 17:43:59 »

Hope we have gray as an option too. It matches the set I want so well in your renders.

I'm still confirming the maximum number of colours with the manufacturer but I want at least black, blue, grey and white to be in there and hopefully one more in either silver or blue/grey.

The way I understand it is that this is a 75% board, and V is the roman numeral for 5. So 7V = 75. Just my guess though.

As lame as it is, that is correct. I wanted something short and that I could work with graphically to create a logo and it just happens that my first name starts with V also.

Thanks for your good work. No matter what colour options you end up with, you will have my full support (by purchasing two) :D

Offline crosscutgymnast

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 17:57:18 »

Yeah, and if only there was a keycap set that would work with olive green...
IF ONLY! But dark grey will go super well with GMK olive anyway

Offline goddream

« Reply #405 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 19:34:05 »
Would it be possible to get GMK Phantom and Deep Space renders? :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2019, 19:59:19 by goddream »
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #406 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 20:02:38 »
Would it be possible to get GMK Phantom and Deep Space renders? :D
I've stopped taking render requests, sorry. Phantom is also notoriously hard to capture properly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2019, 05:02:21 by gok101 »

Offline Kirito1994

« Reply #407 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 09:18:07 »
When can I buy?
What platform will you buy on that time?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #408 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 14:04:45 »
When can I buy?
What platform will you buy on that time?
Can't say for sure yet but I'll be sure to update that information as soon as it is confirmed.

Offline nolan.hates.soymilk

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 19:43:51 »
Extremely hyped for this. Hopefully this will be the first group buy board I get in on!  ;D

Offline krey

« Reply #410 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 21:05:55 »
I definitely want one. Thanks for making the decision easy for me gok
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline troisanh

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 23:56:48 »
Put me down for 1 in blue, love the work done so far.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #412 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 00:31:43 »
Can't tell whether or not this has been answered but when is GB projected to begin?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 03:51:05 »
Can't tell whether or not this has been answered but when is GB projected to begin?
Difficult to say because it might take a few goes to get the mounting design to a stage that I'm happy with.

Offline Degree

« Reply #414 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 17:50:13 »
Is it possible to get a render of Dracula on white? There's one with black already so if not I guess I'll just use my imagination haha

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #415 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 18:27:32 »
Is it possible to get a render of Dracula on white? There's one with black already so if not I guess I'll just use my imagination haha
Since I've already made the keycap assets for this, I can do this for you since it wouldn't take much time. I think dracula would look much better on black or grey though.

Offline Rojo

« Reply #416 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 19:49:03 »
Have you gotten closer to choosing the colors for the cases? or is it still up in the air?

Offline Degree

« Reply #417 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 20:39:30 »
Since I've already made the keycap assets for this, I can do this for you since it wouldn't take much time. I think dracula would look much better on black or grey though.

Yea I figured, I'm planning on either getting the white or blue so it'd be nice just to see

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #418 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 20:41:35 »
Have you gotten closer to choosing the colors for the cases? or is it still up in the air?
Black, blue, white and grey are confirmed, silver and blue/grey are tentative. I'm still trying to get the manufacturer to confirm the number of colour variations that we can have.

Offline diorite

« Reply #419 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 20:53:45 »
I just noticed that it seems like some of the e-white renders have silver badging and some have black? Is this still undecided or will it be an option or something? Really hoping to get an e-white case with the black weight and badging to match.

Offline asury

• /u/adsury/
« Reply #420 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 21:03:11 »
7V- designed by gok

This is a keyboard that has incorporated some of the theories that I've wanted to test based on my experience in architecture and experiments with my previous design (Chiwi60 with Doyu Studio) into my version of the 75% layout.

The aim of this interest check is to find how many people are interested and to find vendors that may be interested in fulfilling this project as logistics would be difficult since I am based in New Zealand.
In the worst case, I would be turning this into a private Group Buy and would be fulfilling the keyboards myself.

Show Image

DETAILS
  • Case Angle: 7.0°
  • Materials: Aluminium & Steel(or brass)
  • Mounting method: Dampened plate over wilba.tech leaf-spring PCB-mount - construction will be revealed after the prototype is in hand
  • Plate: 1.5mm Polycarbonate - might test aluminium as well but I don't think it will achieve my aims
  • PCB: WT75-C (solderable) & USB-C daughterboard by Wilba- configurable with QMK/VIA
  • Pricing: TBD
  • Timeline: TBD
  • Layout options:

Show Image

GALLERY *note that finishes and colours shown in the renders aren't final

Blue anodised case with stainless steel weight & Enjoypbt 3000SAT

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Black anodised with black PVD weight & GMK Olive + SA Olivia

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

E-coat white with Enjoypbt Kuro/Shiro

Show Image
Show Image

REQUESTED RENDERS

GMK Wavez
Show Image
Show Image

Expand below
More

GMK Metropolis
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Dracula
Show Image

GMK Serika
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Hammerhead (did this on grey rather than black because it looked better)
Show Image

GMK Taro
Show Image

GMK Modern Dolch
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Red Alert
Show Image

GMK Mizu
Show Image

GMK Striker
Show Image

GMK Violet on Cream
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Vaporwave
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Calm Depths
Show Image

GMK Violet Tendencies
Show Image

GMK Black Lotus
Show Image

GMK Bento (colours probably aren't accurate sorry)
Show Image

IMSTO Black
Show Image

SA Laser
Show Image

GMK Dots
Show Image

Enjoypbt SimpleJA
Show Image

GMK Rudy
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Nord
Show Image

GMK Red Samurai
Show Image

GMK Handarbeit+
Show Image

GMK Oblivion
Show Image
Show Image

SA Bliss
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Nines
Show Image

GMK Peaches and Cream
Show Image

GMK Denim
Show Image

GMK Café
Show Image

GMK Jamon
Show Image

GMK Hero
Show Image

GMK Voyage
Show Image

GMK Hyperfuse Origins
Show Image
Show Image

GMK Phosphorous
Show Image

FAQ

Why this layout?
I wanted to provide a similar amount of functionality that a TKL would bring but in a more compact form. Everything apart from the main alpha cluster has been separated to be able to navigate it easier but still be within easy reach. The top right corner has been blocked because I found that you had to move your hand a lot to be able to reach it (I would be using my index finger for this key). All separations are 0.25u for consistency.

Will there be a WKL blocker version?
I probably won't be adding this option for a few reasons. First is that the design is catered towards my personal preferences and I am a WK user and I don't want to deal with an SKU for the machining and lastly, I don't like the look of uneven blockers (Dixie did good with the Bauer layout).

Will there be a WKL 7u layout or 2x3u splitspace?
The layout below was considered but I opted not to include it because it messed up the footprints on the PCB due to the overlaps and I only want to provide one plate.
Likewise for splitspace - the 2 inner stab holes overlap the centre switch mount area on the PCB.
Show Image

How about ISO?
As with the above, I've opted not to include ISO support because of how it messes with the footprints for ANSI and as selfish as it sounds, this a design that is tailored to my personal preferences and is optimised for that.

Will hotswap be available?
Sorry, only one type of PCB will be available due to its complexity and it would also split quantities which would affect pricing.

Why the gap between the top and bottom?
It is to avoid a standard butt-seam. In architecture, if there is a change in material, there is usually something to mediate between it which we call a negative detail or we'd use a trim. Also, I was aiming for a detail where the shadow line merges into the cutout for the USB port as per the below.
Show Image
Show Image

What colour options will there be?
I don't want to have too many options since it complicates an already reasonably complicated board so I am thinking of 2-3, maybe 4 max unless a vendor steps in.
I am currently thinking of a navy or blue/grey and off-black. The third colour is a bit of a toss-up and depends on whether the manufacturer can do e-white + PVD. Some sort of grey is also being considered.

SPECIAL THANKS
  • Thanks to janglad for teaching me how to use fusion
  • Wilba for providing feedback and for the PCB design
  • ai03 for bouncing ideas with me during the initial stages
  • 001anthony for coming up with the layout that this was based on and
  • Minterly, T0mb3ry, Rensuya for providing me with the colour codes or vectors of their keysets

UPDATES

06/06/2019 - Prototype ordered
03/06/2019 - New Render Request renders added
31/05/2019 - New renders added to Request Renders section
29/05/2019 - Added a section for render requests
Black, blue, white and grey are confirmed, silver and blue/grey are tentative. I'm still trying to get the manufacturer to confirm the number of colour variations that we can have.
I'm in for grey. Already ordered Oblivion 6u kit special for this board

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Grey Duck Sidewinder/GMK Hyperfuse Origins/MX Black retooled | Sage M60-A/GMK Camping/Holy Sky | LFK68/DSA Granite Alps/SKCM Orange Alps

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #421 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 21:28:06 »
I just noticed that it seems like some of the e-white renders have silver badging and some have black? Is this still undecided or will it be an option or something? Really hoping to get an e-white case with the black weight and badging to match.
This will need to be confirmed with the vendor but I'd like plain polished stainless steel to be the base option and the black PVD is an optional upgrade + the option to purchase additional weight/logos.

Offline diorite

« Reply #422 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 21:58:16 »
Something else I've been wondering. I've never used a 6u spacebar, and I've also never seen a 6u stab for sale anywhere. What is the solution for 6u stabs?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #423 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:01:41 »
Something else I've been wondering. I've never used a 6u spacebar, and I've also never seen a 6u stab for sale anywhere. What is the solution for 6u stabs?
6u wires are a thing. Doyu Studio sold official cherry ones and you can get some 6u wire from KBDfans.

Offline nolan.hates.soymilk

« Reply #424 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 23:47:49 »
This will need to be confirmed with the vendor but I'd like plain polished stainless steel to be the base option and the black PVD is an optional upgrade + the option to purchase additional weight/logos.
Stainless steel would look super clean with a matching logo  :D

Offline kevinplus

« Reply #425 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 11:49:25 »
I'm definitely getting one!!!

Offline escher

« Reply #426 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 13:47:19 »
Just the layout I've been looking for with dedicated arrows, tilde, and escape. Interested to see how the pricing shakes out on this one.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #427 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 23:33:01 »
Difficult to say because it might take a few goes to get the mounting design to a stage that I'm happy with.

Okay! Excited to see new updates. Thanks for informing me.

Offline GRWLKG

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:25:34 »
gok, thanks for taking your time and effort to make this possible. I just had a few questions.

Will we be able to choose the color of the logo? That black on black looks fantastic, but I'd like a similar option like white on white. Especially on the white, the black logo may clash with particular keycaps like the upcoming peaches n cream. Would be absolutely amazing to see a brass option as well, but I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Any chance that the grey will be a dark grey? I apologize if it's rude to mention other keyboard designs, but omega60 has a dark grey version that's missing in a lot of our collections. I think it would look fabulous with a black logo.

Ofc, these are just suggestions. I wish you the best. Thanks!

Offline TheMuffStuff

« Reply #429 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:36:31 »
This is an absolutely beautiful design my man

Offline vision-quest

« Reply #430 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 10:44:52 »
gok, thanks for taking your time and effort to make this possible. I just had a few questions.

Will we be able to choose the color of the logo? That black on black looks fantastic, but I'd like a similar option like white on white. Especially on the white, the black logo may clash with particular keycaps like the upcoming peaches n cream. Would be absolutely amazing to see a brass option as well, but I'm not sure how feasible this is.

Any chance that the grey will be a dark grey? I apologize if it's rude to mention other keyboard designs, but omega60 has a dark grey version that's missing in a lot of our collections. I think it would look fabulous with a black logo.

Dark grey is also my favorite, like you I wish there were more darker shades of grey keyboards being made. That being said, the black looks really nice, so if the grey is lighter there's always a good backup option.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 01 July 2019, 12:37:22 »

I think these answer your question.

.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline echoman13

« Reply #432 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 17:22:34 »
Definitely interested in getting this. This keyboard looks like a Starcraft players dream.

Offline maynes694

« Reply #433 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 18:13:01 »
I’m up for this board

Offline Zilliqa

« Reply #434 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 09:12:06 »
This is the board I’ve been searching for! Initially I was looking at TKLs but I’m now sold on this layout. Beam me up, Scotty!

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #435 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 14:06:53 »
I know you previously described that the plate on the back will probably be silver SS as default; will that remain the same with the 7V logo?

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #436 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 14:14:09 »
I know you previously described that the plate on the back will probably be silver SS as default; will that remain the same with the 7V logo?
Yes, both the logo and weight would be plain polished stainless steel by default.

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #437 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 15:30:24 »
Any ETA for prototype pics? So excited for this 🙄

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 16:26:27 »
Any ETA for prototype pics? So excited for this 🙄
I've been communicating with the factory and the prototypes have only started being worked on as of yesterday due to them finishing up prior obligations. Shouldn't be long before they have some quick snaps for me.

Offline Pmalcolm88

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 18:51:04 »
Reserved

Offline EMC Labs

Offline Mekuno

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #442 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 19:30:53 »
Reserved

Reserved? Why?

For his spot in the gb of course  ;D

Of course, I did not think of that. haha. Or is he serious?

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #443 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 19:32:54 »
Reserved

Reserved? Why?

A lot of influx of new users just posting what they can/want when they see what they like. That's all.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #444 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 20:29:38 »
Reserved

Reserved? Why?

A lot of influx of new users just posting what they can/want when they see what they like. That's all.

Okay, understand.

Offline AtomsForHire

« Reply #445 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 20:56:36 »
Just entered the keyboard community and I love 75% keyboards, and this one caught my eye sooooooooo frikkin quickly. Hoping I can afford this!

Offline PvtSkittles

« Reply #446 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 10:44:25 »
I usually hate the offset arrow cluster in a lot of sets but it really works on this one! That matte black/shiny black contrast on that corner logo is so perfect.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #447 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 16:12:06 »
Just entered the keyboard community and I love 75% keyboards, and this one caught my eye sooooooooo frikkin quickly. Hoping I can afford this!

Start saving up now! Seems like the GB will run within the next couple months, and they usually last about a month as well, so you'll have some time to afford it :)

Offline zekth

« Reply #448 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 13:08:29 »

Start saving up now! Seems like the GB will run within the next couple months, and they usually last about a month as well, so you'll have some time to afford it :)

Already saved on my side. Can't wait to see the prototype!

Offline AtomsForHire

« Reply #449 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 09:37:00 »

Hell yeah I am! Heard some keebs can get up to 400 USD, which is quite a lot in AUD... haha...