Author Topic: Seeking Feedback: Ortho/dox Blues (DSS / DSA hybrid set for Ortho, Ergo, etc.)  (Read 3922 times)

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key

Ortho/dox Blues
DSS / DSA hybrid set for Ortho, Ergo, Boardwalk, and similar layouts

Based on the data and feedback from the survey I ran earlier, I'd like to put together an Interest Check for an Ortho/Ergo set. Seen above is a hypothetical Boardwalk render (via KLE Render, mocked up as all DSA) for the colorway. I've seen a couple similar colorways, like Northern Lights, but I don't know if someone has done anything quite exactly like this yet.

I'm hoping to keep costs from getting too out-of-hand, so I'm thinking stock ABS colors from Signature Plastics.

Regarding mixing DSS and DSA: from experience, they go really well together. The top texture is nearly identical. DSA will be great to fill in gaps where DSS doesn't quite fit, like 1.5u vertical keycaps. I'm thinking there will be an optional DSS R4 bottom row, particularly for Ergo users.

The 1.5u modifiers seen here are hypothetical novelties. I'm thinking the base Ergo kit would likely come with a mix of blanks and highly popular mods.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Potential Core Set

I'm thinking of using this as the base set for the eventual IC/GB.  That way, so long as it hits MOQ, everyone who buys in can use it to cover the vast majority of Ergodoxian or Ortholinear layouts.

The four 1.5u DSA keys will work as the standard Ergodox vertical middle modifiers.  The six 2u keys (2x DSA, 2x DSS R2/3, 2x DSS R3/4) will provide more than enough coverage for the vertical thumb keys and some wiggle room for customization.

Offline equalunique

I bet with some renders, you'd garner a lot of interest. Probably would beat SA Fluffy Clouds and maybe some other ortho/dox sets that have run recently. Keep going.  :thumb:

Personally I'm a Dvorak man and am tired of purchasing Qwerty sets, so will likeley pass on this. Not trying to sound snarky or anything, just being honest about my own interest. Would love there to be DSS Colevark molds but those don't exist yet AFAIK.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
I bet with some renders, you'd garner a lot of interest. Probably would beat SA Fluffy Clouds and maybe some other ortho/dox sets that have run recently. Keep going.  :thumb:

Personally I'm a Dvorak man and am tired of purchasing Qwerty sets, so will likeley pass on this. Not trying to sound snarky or anything, just being honest about my own interest. Would love there to be DSS Colevark molds but those don't exist yet AFAIK.

I have a Typist Kit planned for this set.

As for which letters are available for which rows, during my last conversation with PMK I was told that any legend that they have for DSA could be used in a hypothetical DSS set.  There wasn't a legend/row restriction.  There have just been very few DSS sets produced (only two that I've seen so far), and neither of them include a Dvorak / Colemak option, so I imagine they just haven't run all the letter/row combos yet.

And in regard to renders, I would really like to have that, but I haven't found anyone offering DSS renders.  I tried my hand at mocking up some in Blender but realized I was way out of my depth.  All I can do right now is top-down with everything showing as DSA in KLE.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2019, 20:35:29 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline equalunique

I have a Typist Kit planned for this set.
Show Image

As for which letters are available for which rows, during my last conversation with PMK I was told that any legend that they have for DSA could be used in a hypothetical DSS set.  There wasn't a legend/row restriction.  There have just been very few DSS sets produced (only two that I've seen so far), and neither of them include a Dvorak / Colemak option, so I imagine they just haven't run all the letter/row combos yet.

And in regard to renders, I would really like to have that, but I haven't found anyone offering DSS renders.  I tried my hand at mocking up some in Blender but realized I was way out of my depth.  All I can do right now is top-down with everything showing as DSA in KLE.
Ok, I am seriously interested now. First DSS Typist Kit ever. Gotta have it.

So I understand now that the rendering situation for DSS is unique. Seems like it might just be easier to get samples instead. That's the route norbauer took for his DSS After School: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2f-sj-HHtX/?igshid=pjjyjddd299a

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 17:59:49 by equalunique »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key

So I understand bow that the rendering situation for DSS is unique. Seems like it might just be easier to get samples instead. That's the route norbauer took for his DSS After School: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2f-sj-HHtX/?igshid=pjjyjddd299a

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

I'll find out what can be done re: samples.  I have DSS keys on hand from the Dolch set and can show the profile for folks who are interested, but I'll have to contact PMK to see if they'll do a few sample keys from the intended set to show what the actual colors and profile would look like together.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key

FYI, the Interest Check is now live.  There's a corresponding survey to fill out.

I ended up making some changes to the gradient after getting actual plastic samples from Signature Plastics.  I hope you like the result.