Author Topic: Why are a lot of ppl mad about the new gmk deliveries with Color matching  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Apparantly a lot of ppl on r mechanical keyboards and geekhack are very unhappy with the gmk nord set and how it took like 3 years to arrive and it’s Color is not what ppl ordered? And people are also upset about candykeys orchestrating it all and how gmk necro was awful? What’s going on

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
what do you mean what is going on? You explained the context of the issue clearly.

It could be the keycap designer just saying **** it takes too long and go with the latest color matched plastic or GMK saying we can't get that color after 1-2 years of color matching and said you either give us a green light for the current matched colors or cancel the order.

Either way it's the designers fault or Candykeys whoever gave GMK the green light to start producing. In this case probably greed took over.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2023, 16:04:50 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Yeah I'm pretty sure the things you've describe is why people are upset. GMK does have a lot of problems (The pretty bad trays, spacebar warp, inconsistent texturing and rarely keys being sorted wrong ) but this is a vendor/designer issue (there might be instances where the colours can't be put on to keycaps but I think that's up to a designer to know if the colours are achievable), as the designer or vendor who started the group buy has to approve the colours before the set ships out (That's why GMK Dracula took so long I believe). There was also some drama recently about GMK Moomin and Red Dragon (made by the same designer who has had a history of mismatched colour sets I believe) where some of the colours were completely wrong as well.

The only guaranteed way to get a set perfectly matched is if the set is only using stock GMK Colours, but if you like a design make sure you go and see if a designer or vendor has a good track record of well matched sets, as you will probably be in good hands.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 April 2023, 01:08:55 by Rhienfo »

Offline KiserDesigns

• Kiser Designs Store
There have also been some lighting inconsistencies that make it appear that the colors of some sets are "incorrect". Dimly lit renders will never match a keyset captured in direct sunlight.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc

This is why people are mad
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Lotta inexperienced designers popped up as the hobby exploded during the pandemic. We're seeing a lot of the sets from that time deliver now, and they have a higher rate of poor color matching than we'd normally see.

Definitely not GMK's fault, but debatable whether the vendor should be blamed. I feel that if vendors had a heavier hand in the design and approval of a set, that would probably be viewed negatively as stifling the designer, etc. Little less clear on that aspect.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Yuck - that is pretty bad.

And they changed the legends, too. And why cram them against the left edge so severely?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Show Image

Show Image

I remember when it used to be the hype and talk of the town around here, and it released 3 years too late.. and now the fads over. Just a complete failure of a GMK i think

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Show Image

Show Image

I remember when it used to be the hype and talk of the town around here, and it released 3 years too late.. and now the fads over. Just a complete failure of a GMK i think
The onus is on the designer who color matches and OKs the set, not GMK.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline selsik

YIKES

Just saw a guy on r/mm trying to sell it for 200 bucks LOL

I wouldn't want it for free
Topre >>> MX

Offline bkrownd

Definitely not GMK's fault, but debatable whether the vendor should be blamed. I feel that if vendors had a heavier hand in the design and approval of a set, that would probably be viewed negatively as stifling the designer, etc. Little less clear on that aspect.

From what we've been told the designer has to go THROUGH their GMK-approved vendors to communicate with GMK at all.  That suggests that at least one vendor had to have been part of the conversation? 

I've been in at least a couple non-GMK sets that were poorly color matched.  We're ultimately at the mercy of the designer's preferences.  Even one set that was based on complete sample sets didn't really come out as expected - I suspect the sales images had been massaged and pumped. 

« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2023, 18:31:25 by bkrownd »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

From what we've been told the designer has to go THROUGH their GMK-approved vendors to communicate with GMK at all.  That suggests that at least one vendor had to have been part of the conversation?

Yeah, typically at least the "lead vendor" would be involved. And you're right that they probably should have stepped in here for a reality check that the product would be delivered as expected. That's what I was referring to before though, that it's a fine line to walk as the vendor - up to a certain point you wouldn't want to "correct" anything because then you could be under fire for stifling the designer and their artistic vision. I don't think the community at large will agree on where that line is and at what point the vendor should be expected to step in; it's a messy situation to try to judge (granted, a lot easier in this case with hindsight).