Author Topic: Orange Alps Options?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline grino

Orange Alps Options?
« on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 04:56:48 »
Heyo,
Love typing on my m0116, absolutely amazing. Problem is with the layout. I was hoping I would be able to find a orange alps version of the AEK I could use, but those seem pretty rare to come by. I was wondering if there's any other boards that have a decently modern layout (I.E. most things as long as they aren't ISO) that I could convert to use on a modern day windows PC?

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: Orange Alps Options?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 06:40:30 »
do you care about having a vintage board? have you looked into alps customs?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:12:23 »
Heyo,
Love typing on my m0116, absolutely amazing. Problem is with the layout. I was hoping I would be able to find a orange alps version of the AEK I could use, but those seem pretty rare to come by. I was wondering if there's any other boards that have a decently modern layout (I.E. most things as long as they aren't ISO) that I could convert to use on a modern day windows PC?

As a fellow Alps user your options are: Custom alps PCB/case (good luck finding keycaps for that layout) or finding a vintage board that has the caps/case/layout you want and finding a convertor (ADB to USB or simialr). Or if you got the time and patience you can do a handwired build. I ended up handwiring my M3501 and use it as my work keeb. Kept the original damped creams because office.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:18:43 »
Heyo,

Keep an eye out on ebay, I've recently seen more than few original AEKs with orange ALPS for sale with the prices hovering around $100 to $125. One of those with a ADB to USB convertor & you'd have exactly what you want.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:26:34 »
Rob, your PFP hits way to close to home. Please don't show my wife. I have 3 more AEKs in the parts bin, 200+ damped white switches that need cleaning before lube/assembly. I also have my already cleaned/prepped Clicky whites and tried to convince her last week to let me get some crudgy Alps Blacks boards to harvest. It's an irrational addiction for sure.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 15:52:01 »
Rob, your PFP hits way to close to home. Please don't show my wife. I have 3 more AEKs in the parts bin, 200+ damped white switches that need cleaning before lube/assembly. I also have my already cleaned/prepped Clicky whites and tried to convince her last week to let me get some crudgy Alps Blacks boards to harvest. It's an irrational addiction for sure.

It sure is, but there is just something so good about these switches. I'll be sure to hide the PFP from your wifey LOL! I have been thinking about changing it up, but like you it just rings to true to me.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 03:41:36 »
Keep an eye out on ebay, I've recently seen more than few original AEKs with orange ALPS for sale with the prices hovering around $100 to $125. One of those with a ADB to USB convertor & you'd have exactly what you want.

Yeah aeks are actually not that expensive so looking around can be nice, would pick one up if shipping wasn't a nightmare (could always use a proxy though)

speaking of, why is that? like even in peak pandemic where alps were getting so flipped aeks weren't that overpriced in comparison, even when people were saying that they were the best tactiles and hyping them up. Is it just because they were really common or something?
fjell | hhkb bt