Author Topic: Alice style boards that don't sacrifice modifiers  (Read 2424 times)

Offline ClaireAbitbol

Alice style boards that don't sacrifice modifiers
« on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 15:19:13 »
Got my first Alice style board recently and I really enjoy the layout, but since I'm European and use the US INT layout the lack of a right Alt or AltGr key is a downside, I can't type the euro symbol easily or even my beloved žorn without looking through the Windows emoji keyboard.
The lack of more bottom row modifiers seems odd to me, feels like there's enough space to put one or two more keys there.

So my question is, are there any Alice (or I guess Arisu since I use the arrow keys frequently) keyboards that are available (not limited or group buy or whatever else, and not something that costs an arm and a leg), that I could get to be able to have all the comfort of the Alice layout without sacrificing my AltGr? Preferably with a function row and PrtSc even if that seems like an impossibility.

If I'm just stupid and there's another easy way to use AltGr or PrtSc without having the keys in your keyboard please point that out. Fn+p lets you use PrtSc on my 75% board but on the Alice the manual didn't mention a way to use it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 November 2023, 15:22:03 by ClaireAbitbol »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Alice style boards that don't sacrifice modifiers
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 15:46:22 »
Got my first Alice style board recently and I really enjoy the layout, but since I'm European and use the US INT layout the lack of a right Alt or AltGr key is a downside, I can't type the euro symbol easily or even my beloved žorn without looking through the Windows emoji keyboard.
The lack of more bottom row modifiers seems odd to me, feels like there's enough space to put one or two more keys there.

So my question is, are there any Alice (or I guess Arisu since I use the arrow keys frequently) keyboards that are available (not limited or group buy or whatever else, and not something that costs an arm and a leg), that I could get to be able to have all the comfort of the Alice layout without sacrificing my AltGr? Preferably with a function row and PrtSc even if that seems like an impossibility.

If I'm just stupid and there's another easy way to use AltGr or PrtSc without having the keys in your keyboard please point that out. Fn+p lets you use PrtSc on my 75% board but on the Alice the manual didn't mention a way to use it.

What Alice style board did you get? If it's QMK/VIA compatible you can assign any function to any key.

Offline ClaireAbitbol

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 15:54:39 »
What Alice style board did you get? If it's QMK/VIA compatible you can assign any function to any key.
Feker Alice 98, it's supposed to be VIA compatible and I have the JSON file, it shows up properly in the design tab but doesn't show up in the "configure" tab, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 16:14:57 »
Feker Alice 98, it's supposed to be VIA compatible and I have the JSON file, it shows up properly in the design tab but doesn't show up in the "configure" tab, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Hmmm, that is really weird. I actually have a similar problem with a hotswap PCB for an Aaru TKL. It allows me to authorize the PCB, but it just doesn't show up in the configure tab. I haven't had any luck flashing it either, seems to be just stuck the way it is. I searched for some help, but it seems to be a rare issue. Was gonna ask about it on Helix's discord, but I got solder PCB I'm gonna be using with it soon so never got around to it. The VIA discord server would be a good place to ask. https://discord.gg/tu7SUJMbbH

Offline ClaireAbitbol

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 16:30:59 »
Hmmm, that is really weird. I actually have a similar problem with a hotswap PCB for an Aaru TKL. It allows me to authorize the PCB, but it just doesn't show up in the configure tab. I haven't had any luck flashing it either, seems to be just stuck the way it is. I searched for some help, but it seems to be a rare issue. Was gonna ask about it on Helix's discord, but I got solder PCB I'm gonna be using with it soon so never got around to it. The VIA discord server would be a good place to ask. https://discord.gg/tu7SUJMbbH
Thanks for the info, glad it's not just me being dumb and not understanding the software.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 November 2023, 16:35:57 »
Thanks for the info, glad it's not just me being dumb and not understanding the software.
No prob! Yeah if it let's you authorize it, then it just just don't show up in the configure tab it's nothing you did or misunderstood. First time I've ever seen it personally & I have plenty of other boards that still work just fine with VIA, VIAL, or OG QMK even. So I know it's not something with my PC or anything like that, it's that cursed HS PCB, LOL!

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 November 2023, 19:40:29 »
May be Keychron q10? I know it is one of the few budget Alice boards with f rows. You could then upgrade to sand glass  ;D
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline ClaireAbitbol

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 13:15:51 »
May be Keychron q10? I know it is one of the few budget Alice boards with f rows. You could then upgrade to sand glass  ;D
It doesn't have more bottom row keys than the Alice 98, but it's true that the macro keys could be useful.
Only issue with Keychron for me is I really don't like their keycaps, so replacing the macro caps to have corresponding legends might be awkward unless i use a flat profile.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 19:02:30 »
It doesn't have more bottom row keys than the Alice 98, but it's true that the macro keys could be useful.
Only issue with Keychron for me is I really don't like their keycaps, so replacing the macro caps to have corresponding legends might be awkward unless i use a flat profile.

If you use are planing to get gmk (or cherry in general) than you could probably use relegendables, gmk sells some for alright prices, but they are same profile so it will look a bit off but it's not that big of a deal. If not some sets do come with macro columns so look around, keep in mind this is less common on budget sets since there are less use cases for them (just as an example gmk dmg 3 on oblotzky has macros as an option)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 November 2023, 19:04:01 by Rhienfo »
fjell | hhkb bt