Author Topic: Any new clicky switch designs in the past few years?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline funkmon

Any new clicky switch designs in the past few years?
« on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 23:28:45 »
I have largely decided I'm okay with the worse sound of the Models F but accept the slightly lighter feel than Ms. I am annoyed by the fact that Alps whites and blues are all old and variable, and Matias only makes keyboards for Macs anymore. So I'm on Models F right now.

However, I know that the community has been changing and Zeal has Clickiez, which are good I guess, but I prefer a slightly lighter tactility, and I hear about these Chosfox switches that sound hollow but otherwise feel like Box Pinks, which I like but have ultimately moved on from.

Any new stuff around while I haven't been paying attention? Anyone making full size Matias boards?

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Any new clicky switch designs in the past few years?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 00:58:36 »
I think clickiez was the last innovation when it comes to mx clickies. MX is a design that is very simple, which means easy to interchange parts and assemble however you can't really change the design too much from that.

IMO the best mx clickies I have tried are the box clickies, the ones I tried were the box jades and they were very nice.

It might be a lot harder and pricer to find but very good alps can be found, but I don't blame you if you don't want to go through that.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline clay

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 07:19:25 »
Not much. It seems like a checklist to being an enthusiast these days is to hate on clickies. No idea why.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 09:28:17 »
Not much. It seems like a checklist to being an enthusiast these days is to hate on clickies. No idea why.
Silence and "smoothness" seems to be the latest obsession.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 09:47:52 »
EDIT: I don't even know  what I was saying here. Feel free to skip this reply.

I do get it; a lot of people are typing with other people around and don't want to be that guy. I had an office recently, so I could use my clicky boards, but a ton of people just want to be quiet. They also don't like the ping frequently involved in some clicky keyboards, even ones that are quite bassy. I get that too: I much prefer the sound of the Model M to the beamers and the Fs, and prefer the sound of blue/white alps to those.

However, the noise that these relatively silent keyboards make that everyone is trying for, that almost sickening plop plop plop when you bottom out makes me want to barf.  I have a Keychron K4 or something with the 96% layout and MX Browns (which aren't that bad, come at me) that I think is okay to type on but the sound is blegh. But you know what else? It's in my work bag for when I am typing up my manifesto in the breakroom so I look only slightly weird typing with my tablet and I'm not clack clacking.

Silence and "smoothness" seems to be the latest obsession.

Or tactility. Some of the world has gone heavy to smoothness (which is fine for me), or the other half has decided they want something so tactile it's like breaking a board to type on. After years of them trying to figure out how to get an MX switch to be sharply tactile, they developed the clickbars which are very sharp and the clickies which you can mod into non click but probably the most tactile switch on the planet.

And by half I mean 90% and 10%.

I just don't see any real middle of the road switches around, even tactile but otherwise largely silent ones. You have blues and their derivatives, clickbars (which click on the way up for annoyance), and BS. But Matias makes the best feeling switches currently, IMO, being pretty tactile, pretty light, and pretty good sounding.

So Ellipse and Matias are making keyboards with middle of the road switches which are both highly limited. If Zeal just came out with a lighter less tactile switch, I think I would buy them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2023, 21:30:09 by funkmon »

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 19:09:33 »
I think the main reason why people don't use clickies is mainly that a lot of the boards that people used probably had like cherry blues and the new linears and tactiles that people are introduced to when they first join sound and probably feel better than the stock blues that are in these boards.

Also clickies aren't as "Hyped" in the hobby (which sounds really weird to say that) compared to linears and tactiles.

but clickies are great, not just mx clickies like box jades, but buckling springs and alps, all really good switches.

(also I don't feel that people want silents, especially in comparison to linears and tactiles that aren't silent)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 20:01:25 »
Clickies seem to be something that is forbidden and negatively affected by the fact that many YouTubers claim they just hate clickies. Clickies really can be designed into something novel, bringing some out-of-the-box sensational taste.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 03:04:14 »
Clickies aren’t popular because of loudness, needs to reset before able to activate again and the most important you are annoying in the workplace or in a meeting. The last one is probably the most problematic  :D
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 22:51:26 »
Clickies aren’t popular because of loudness, needs to reset before able to activate again and the most important you are annoying in the workplace or in a meeting. The last one is probably the most problematic  :D

Oh yeah this is true as well, No one want's to hear box jades in a workplace XD
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 16:41:23 »

Something a lot of people don't seem to understand about clicky is that the point of it is NOT making sound.  The point of clicky is the sharp impulse feedback and snappy release you subtly feel through the keycap.  You get in a rhythm with it and it feels very responsive.  Sound is just an unnecessary but inevitable byproduct of the impulse, and despite some hypersensitive screamers that apparently think the workplace is for solitary meditation it isn't even that much sound anyway.   

Offline funkmon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 18:31:52 »
I want each keypress to sound like an imploding mine

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 21:01:55 »

Something a lot of people don't seem to understand about clicky is that the point of it is NOT making sound.  The point of clicky is the sharp impulse feedback and snappy release you subtly feel through the keycap.  You get in a rhythm with it and it feels very responsive.  Sound is just an unnecessary but inevitable byproduct of the impulse, and despite some hypersensitive screamers that apparently think the workplace is for solitary meditation it isn't even that much sound anyway.

Yeah but that byproduct is a pretty big nope for a lot of people.

I like it though, sounds very crisp
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 06:47:39 »

idk though because many clicky switches just use an extra clicking mechanism and still end up less tactile than non clicky switches (mx blues) i think it just depends on the switch. for some its a byproduct of the mechanism that generates tactility but for others its an intended effect
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 November 2023, 06:49:00 »
I have largely decided I'm okay with the worse sound of the Models F but accept the slightly lighter feel than Ms. I am annoyed by the fact that Alps whites and blues are all old and variable, and Matias only makes keyboards for Macs anymore. So I'm on Models F right now.

However, I know that the community has been changing and Zeal has Clickiez, which are good I guess, but I prefer a slightly lighter tactility, and I hear about these Chosfox switches that sound hollow but otherwise feel like Box Pinks, which I like but have ultimately moved on from.

Any new stuff around while I haven't been paying attention? Anyone making full size Matias boards?

spend your life savings on a keymacs
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D