Author Topic: Post your Ergodox!  (Read 167539 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Post your Ergodox!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 19:30:26 »
Getting mine tomorrow, can't wait! Glod, your pics are absolutely inspiring.

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 18:10:43 »
Just finished mine yesterday, tented with M3-threaded PCB standoffs I found at Radio Shack, labeled POM caps scavenged off a used Cherry G81-7000 (which happens to have 1x mod keys suitable for the ErgoDox, and its otherwise-terrible MY switches use MX-compatible caps) along with a few blanks from SP, and swapped the positions of the LEDs and their resistors (so the LEDs will shine thru the upper window area next to the Teensy):

24876-0
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 10:49:02 »
Here is mine with my current layout.  I have more pics at home
:25092-0
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 11:16:32 »
^^^ Lookin good, but you should flip that photo around ;)

Offline frew

• blog
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:59:37 »
I didn't really do anything special with my ergodox, I just followed the instructions (learned to solder while I was doing it.)  Here is a final pic:

and the whole set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/frew/sets/72157634071480075/

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:45:58 »
stock looks pretty good when you have it on a surface like that with grain/texture/color. it looks a bit bland if you have it on a totally black desk.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:48:45 »
^^^ Lookin good, but you should flip that photo around ;)

Oops that's a terrible photo.  I need to take a photo in better light, anyways.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline frew

• blog
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 18:29:42 »
Does anyone have any examples of ergodox keymaps that trigger multiple keypresses?

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:13:10 »
I'll take a photo of mine once i add some lifts, DSA Retro, and start using it on a regular basis.

Man, I want an aluminum case sooooooooo bad!

Offline Larken

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:22:35 »
Decided to put off doing any further alterations to my ergodox in the short term due to being swamped with work, so I figured I'll share its current state.

Tad! So great to see you give the ergodox a shot :D

Question for Glod or anyone else - any ideas where to find similar screws for the ergodox, but nickel plated or in some other metal that wouldn't rust? The ones that came with the buy are already showing some signs of rusting. No big issue, but its something I would rather take care of if I could.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:46:18 »
What is that under the Ergodox that make it tilt?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:51:05 »

YEP!  And I have a second DSA Retro kit and blanks on the way!

Offline Larken

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:00:55 »
@linziyi - those are kinesis v3 lifters made to fit the ergodox.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:19:31 »
@linziyi - those are kinesis v3 lifters made to fit the ergodox.

Thanks! They look awfully awesome!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:07:55 »

Finally got it built this weekend. (Please ignore the cables, I have a USB hub right under my monitor). I'm not sure how I like these DSA caps, and the left side is still tripping me up, but I do like these 65g springs.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 07:22:47 »

IMG_0991 by tadbitnerdy, on Flickr

My daughter helping me build my ErgoDox.  She wouldn't stop moving :)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 12:50:44 »
finger prints!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 12:53:32 »
Show Image

^^ very legit!! 

When I got my poker and opened it up I was like whoa this thing is small, my daughter proceeded to grab it from me and start running around with it....she thought it was a toy! haha.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 13:01:13 »
finger prints!!

Don't worry, I cleaned it up.

My daughter loves keyboards though.  She calls them 'work'. :)

Offline Larken

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 13:39:58 »
haha, that's a very adorable picture.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 13:56:53 »
Thanks Larken!

She actually favors the Duck Poker I just got.  I'm pretty she her favorite switch type is MX white.

Offline hoasican2004

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 22:32:41 »
Show Image

beautiful girl and nice keyboard ^^

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 04:56:25 »
Question for Glod or anyone else - any ideas where to find similar screws for the ergodox, but nickel plated or in some other metal that wouldn't rust? The ones that came with the buy are already showing some signs of rusting. No big issue, but its something I would rather take care of if I could.

McMaster-Carr stocks a variety of socket head cap screws available in stainless steel, which you can also prolly find at your local hardware store more conveniently, albeit more expensively as well. Screws provided with the kit are M3x0.5 (std. coarse thread), 22mm long. UTS (SAE) #4 thread will also fit the provided screw holes, very slightly looser than the M3s. The case is 18mm (~0.7") thick. I've been considering switching to button head stainless screws, myself...
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 17:19:44 »
Decided to put off doing any further alterations to my ergodox in the short term due to being swamped with work, so I figured I'll share its current state.

Show Image

Pure 80's sex! I love it! It's perfect!

Offline Larken

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 02:44:46 »

McMaster-Carr stocks a variety of socket head cap screws available in stainless steel, which you can also prolly find at your local hardware store more conveniently, albeit more expensively as well. Screws provided with the kit are M3x0.5 (std. coarse thread), 22mm long. UTS (SAE) #4 thread will also fit the provided screw holes, very slightly looser than the M3s. The case is 18mm (~0.7") thick. I've been considering switching to button head stainless screws, myself...

thanks for the link. I found what I was looking for there, though for the exact length used for the ergodox, there wasn't really much options. Will have to keep this in mind for my next purchase.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 18:50:58 »
Potato Preview of what i am doing with the other ErgoDox, still have to do the back, and add V3 lifter and do the other hand (this is not going on my wooden rest)

preview of ergodox mod by almightyglod, on Flickr

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 18:59:05 »
That looks really nice. Is it the 3M carbon fiber vinyl?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:01:44 »

knock off version of the stuff but yeah same, stuff doesn't cost a lot, i also have red and silver colors but the silver looks like duct tape from a distance.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:05:17 »

knock off version of the stuff but yeah same, stuff doesn't cost a lot, i also have red and silver colors but the silver looks like duct tape from a distance.

Holy crap I want. Where can I pick that stuff up? Got a link?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:13:30 »

Holy crap I want. Where can I pick that stuff up? Got a link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BTBI4W/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i got it from the metrorestyling seller, but its the same stuff

its sold by the foot so if you put in 2 in quantity, which is what i did, you get 24"x48" which is huge really you might as well buy enough in case you screw up, i used an brand new exacto knife with it and even my shaky hands was able to pull it off. same concept as Larken.

edit- thinking about trying this stuff on my slingblade trackball :O if you apply heat it becomes super stretchy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:17:19 by Glod »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 20:31:51 »
more horrible phone pictures of the awesome fake carbon fiber

Untitled by almightyglod, on Flickr

it is seriously more smooth in person, the pictures give this optical illusion that its not flush in the middle, just this crappy cam

i like this look better than the aluminium and i will probably put this thing on my dock, i hate the aluminium, it scratches so easy and gets fingerprints you can't get off, it is such a pain in the ass. i love not having to worry about finger prints

Offline Larken

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 22:23:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

it is seriously more smooth in person, the pictures give this optical illusion that its not flush in the middle, just this crappy cam

i like this look better than the aluminium and i will probably put this thing on my dock, i hate the aluminium, it scratches so easy and gets fingerprints you can't get off, it is such a pain in the ass. i love not having to worry about finger prints

racY !

but you should probably mount those screws and hex nut in reverse man... having the nuts on the bottom is a good way to give your ergodock (plopdock? :D) a good scratching.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 00:24:05 »
I think I might want to find some rounded cap nuts to help mitigate that issue

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 00:48:11 »
no worries, the screws dont touch the dock, originally the design was for the ergodox to go flush onto the dock, that is how kurplop made it and i asked for the wrists to be higher up than the keyboard, i changed my mind and instead used dual-lock hard velcro so that its solid but i can remove it when i want, it also sort of acts as a sound dampener. it does raise it quite a bit.

ok guys, give me your opinion, does this look good still? i think i like the vinyl+acrylic ergodox better because it doesn't attract fingerprints and im not liking clicky switches right now (this one has lubed reds). I also like the DCS and i added 10 DCS row 1 (bottom row) keys as pictured. i really like this mix, dsa thumbs, dsa 1.5s, dcs everything else.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 01:06:35 »
to be honest you can't go wrong with either one, you've done a great job on both of these builds =)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 02:27:41 »
Personally, I cannot stand DI-NOC.  I think it cheapens the looks of anything it's on.  It can occasionally work well as an accent, but in large strips I think it looks tacky.  If you want vinyl, I'd stick with a plain black vinyl or some other solid color that complements the wood.  Even better would be an anodized aluminum top, but that'd be pricey for a one off.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 03:32:56 »
I DISAGREE SIR. This certainly does not look tacky.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 03:47:34 »
Very well executed but I don't like the combination.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 04:05:45 »
I DISAGREE SIR. This certainly does not look tacky.

You asked for opinions, I gave them.  I think your original setup (this one earlier in the thread looks much better.  If you want something different, maybe powder coat or anodize the metal.  I think it could look good with something like a matte black or matte white, but the steel or aluminum looks better to me that the faux carbon fiber.  The faux carbon fiber and wood just clash and I already gave my $0.02 on how I feel it looks.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 04:41:05 »
nah, i appreciate the comments, seriously i do.
I do think the vinyl+acrylic combo is great though with tons of possible designs. I also think my ****ty phone camera doesn't do it justice.

the massdrop aluminium is just really bad, it sucks so bad, it started as this rough metal case that was super ugly, so i sanded it and polished it to a near mirror finish, but that ended up a bad idea. its so much work to get it clean and somewhat looking decent but it scratches with just a finger nail, smudges easy, it has rough areas that i would need some serious machinery to sand out, it really does't look good in every angle. All the pictures i took are of a decent angle and i cleaned it a bit before taking the pictures, minutes later it has smudges on it. and the rough spots are still there on the sides as it came with.

I'm sure i could have someone finish the aluminium case but the cost of all the things required to get to just anodizing is pretty high, and i would need to de-solder the switches. Or i could have new top and bottoms cut but that is more cost as well. I would rather have a entirely new case solution created instead like a plate-less tray for light travel.

i am going to leave this faux carbon fiber ErgoDox like this for now and use it as my primary; I need to cool off on buying things like more vinyl. I guess i'm more asking is it decent enough to leave it like this for a bit. I like these switches better too.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 June 2013, 05:04:08 by Glod »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 06:04:40 »
I understand your frustration with the un-anodized aluminum. It is vulnerable to scratches and smudges. Mine has minimal because it is protected by being inset but when I was building it I had my concerns about its practicality.

I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice but based only on the pictures the earlier version looks like a work of art where the second just kind of blends in. Ultimately, the keyboards purpose is function. I say, use the vinyl overlay unit for daily use and encase the other in a glass showcase and send it to the Guggenheim.

Offline Larken

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 06:12:17 »
Not the biggest fan of carbon fibre myself (feels like you should have some eurobeat oomphs playing in the background to go with it), but the black does go pretty well with the wood. but a matte/piano black as nubbs mentioned would be more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Still, this is only preference. What's important is that you like it youself :)

I wouldn't advise reapplying another vinyl after a long time though. Those things tend to leave some glue residue after the curing period which is extremely hard to get rid off.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:12:25 »
If the aluminum is as bad as you say, then I understand that.  The vinyl is probably a step up in looks from aluminum that's constantly smudging and scratching. 

Anodizing can be expensive, so I understand not dropping money into that.  If you decide to put a little more money into it in the future, it might be worth powder coating.  You can usually do that for a whole lot cheaper than anodizing and a matte black powder coat would look great.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:27:52 »
Potato Preview of what i am doing with the other ErgoDox, still have to do the back, and add V3 lifter and do the other hand (this is not going on my wooden rest)

Show Image

preview of ergodox mod by almightyglod, on Flickr

Ohhh I like the carbon fiber.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Sniping

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:34:03 »
Am I the only one that thought of boost when I saw glod's ErgoDox?

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 12:39:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I hope someone does a gb for plates like these to give the ergodox case more style.

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 14:06:41 »
Here is my first post on GH.

I'm in the 3rd round of the Ergodox GB on Massdrop, and I'm waiting to get mine at home. Before building it I'm looking on how to change the case because it seems that acrylic is a material that gets dirty quickly. On my Nexus I applied carbon fiber vinyl and let's say that it just looks fabulous ! So I planned to do the same on the top and back of the Ergodox. Magically, Glod did this exactly as I would. Glod, can you post nice pictures of your Ergodox ?

I think it's the best way to fight against scratches and dirt on the stock acrylic case. Maybe you don't like how it looks at the end but don't forget that vinyl come in a lot of different colors. I bought something like 2 pieces of 1.3m*0.3m of carbon fiber vinyl for the back of my gaming laptop so I might give a try for the Ergodox. Planning to buy mate black vinyl that will be prettier for it. Maybe I'll just make the 5 layer case in real dark wood but I don't know how will be the result.

Anyone here as bought the MX Clear switches ? As this keyboard will be my first mechanical keyboard I don't know if it's a good choice. Whatever, I see that it's not possible to find it on internet, I think it's out of stock since 8 month as I read somewhere. I also read that switches needed to be lubricated, what type of oil is required ?

:)
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 08:54:05 by JulianFR »
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 16:35:09 »
what a post and you spelled my name wrong, its Glod

If you are new to mechanical switches then it is a shame Massdrop does not offer browns or reds but it is a supply thing so they only offer blues, clears, and blacks. blues are good intro switch if you like your keys clicking like old keyboards used to.

clears are tactile with a big bump and they require more force. I still haven't had a whole keyboard in clears yet...so I can't give a full opinion of clears as a first switch.

The springs clears come with (inside the switch assembly) are disliked by most members on geekhack and most swap out the springs with a spring that requires less force creating what are called "ergo clears" which some here call the best tactile cherry MX switch you can have. Some even lubricate each switch for a smooth feeling of typing on wet clay.

If you are adventurous, and careful, and patient enough to open each switch assembly and swap out the springs, it is highly suggested you grab a pack of 65g springs here https://www.originativeco.com/65g-springs or the 62g springs if you are lubing them. one pack does an entire keyboard. there are tutorials on how to swap out stems and springs on geekhack and youtube. One of the biggest risks is messing up the metal leaf inside which is almost impossible to fix if you bend one of them. Massdrop provides about 8 spare switches.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 18:06:43 »
oh man brainstorming.

considering you can flip the layers, im wondering if i should put a different color vinyl on the reverse side of the top layer, then i can have swap-able designs. too cheesy?

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 09:07:07 »
Sorry for you name Glod* ;)
This thing about reverse top layers is very good idea !
What will be your to version of the top layers ? I'm considering CF on face one and black mate on face 2.

About MX Clear switches, I saw some videos on youtube on how to open MX switch and it looks simple to replace all of the springs. But first I need to try stock MX Clear switches. Maybe I can make a mix with stock string and weaker ones. Do you know which lub may I need to use ? Also I saw that the stock screws which come with the ergodox looks like being very painful. Have you changed yours ?

I'll post pictures of my ergodox once I'll get it fully assembled and functionally.
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub