Author Topic: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide  (Read 441914 times)

Offline Simia_4

Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #550 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:01:26 »
New here but have noticed since i bought a shine 5 mx blue that i really don't care for how clacky and sometimes difficult it is to type on. Would this method of lubing work for this board?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #551 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:03:15 »
New here but have noticed since i bought a shine 5 mx blue that i really don't care for how clacky and sometimes difficult it is to type on. Would this method of lubing work for this board?

It will work but there is a chance that the click will be removed altogether if done incorrectly. Unless that's what you are going for.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Simia_4

« Reply #552 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:12:03 »

It will work but there is a chance that the click will be removed altogether if done incorrectly. Unless that's what you are going for.

i don't suppose it would make it more of a brown feel, would it?

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #553 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:16:47 »

i don't suppose it would make it more of a brown feel, would it?

IIRC people describe it as very muted. So may have even less definition then a brown. Don't take my word for it though I have never tried lubed tactile clicks before.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #554 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:18:14 »
Definitely test it on a loose switch before applying

It's basically very annoying, I wouldn't say brown-like, more like brown+mush
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Simia_4

« Reply #555 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:19:47 »
IIRC people describe it as very muted. So may have even less definition then a brown. Don't take my word for it though I have never tried lubed tactile clicks before.
[/quote]

Cool, thank you! I guess i'll get to learn how to take it apart.

Offline Simia_4

« Reply #556 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:24:24 »
Definitely test it on a loose switch before applying

It's basically very annoying, I wouldn't say brown-like, more like brown+mush

That's good to know. I was mainly concerned with not being able to make the board feel smoother and also not be able to take everything apart.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #557 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 14:24:36 »
Apologies if this question has been asked & answered before, but:

Is there a tried and tested way of rescuing MX Blues that have lost a significant amount of their click due to excess lube?

In case you're wondering,
1) The lube came from a bunch of used 62g gold springs that I had attempted to transplant into my blues; I didn't realize the previous owner had lubed them to hell until it was too late. I'd been using tweezers and the springs never came into contact with my fingertips.
2) I tried rinsing the affected parts in mildly soapy water followed by regular tap water but it only seemed to exacerbate the problem and further weaken the click (tried this with four switches, all four came out even less clicky, I made sure they were totally dry as well). Needless to say, I found this extremely baffling.
3) Ditto for Isopropyl alcohol (tried this with four more different switches).

Any ideas?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 18:00:34 »
2) I tried rinsing the affected parts

What exactly did you rinse? There is probably still lube on the contact leaf and in the side rails of the bottom housing.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #559 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 23:53:15 »
What exactly did you rinse? There is probably still lube on the contact leaf and in the side rails of the bottom housing.

basically everything. the entire housing, spring and stem. i even dabbed it with this.

pretty sure all the lube's been removed, but the rinsing process seems to have somehow ruined the switches. it's making me think that clicky switches + any sort of liquid = a big no no

Offline menuhin

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:21:28 »

basically everything. the entire housing, spring and stem. i even dabbed it with this.

pretty sure all the lube's been removed, but the rinsing process seems to have somehow ruined the switches. it's making me think that clicky switches + any sort of liquid = a big no no

As you're just trying to perform some experiments now instead of having a guaranteed way to save the switches. I would suggest trying to soak and rinse them in turpentine - it's how I clean my bicycle gears.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline codywanks

« Reply #561 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:30:15 »
As you're just trying to perform some experiments now instead of having a guaranteed way to save the switches. I would suggest trying to soak and rinse them in turpentine - it's how I clean my bicycle gears.

um doesn't turpentine eat through plastic?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #562 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:31:43 »
it's making me think that clicky switches + any sort of liquid = a big no no

That cannot be the case. I used dish cleaner (the powder stuff, not the liquid) with Cherry Blue stems once and they still clicked afterwards.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #563 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:50:01 »

That cannot be the case. I used dish cleaner (the powder stuff, not the liquid) with Cherry Blue stems once and they still clicked afterwards.

Just the stems, or did you do the bottom housings as well?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #564 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:52:42 »

Just the stems, or did you do the bottom housings as well?

Just the stems, the bottom housings were trash so I didn't even bother desoldering them.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #565 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 15:57:01 »
Rinsing stems should be fine. Things only start going south for me when my bottom housings come into contact with any sort of liquid, including regular tap water. Those click leafs are probably extra sensitive or something.

*edit: Earlier today I took a perfectly normal, unlubed, fully-stock Gateron Blue, opened it up, rinsed the bottom with tap water, dried it off and put it back together. I swear the click became weaker (should have used one of those decibel meter apps to record it). Surely I am not the only one who's noticed this??
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 16:01:42 by codywanks »

Offline Lleiwynn

« Reply #566 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 12:03:43 »
I tried looking for an answer to this question, but I've been coming up empty-handed. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

I'm brand new to switch modding and am about to try my hand at some Gateron Blacks for use in the upcoming MiniVan and RoadKit group buys. I already have everything I need to mod the switches: the switches themselves, Krytox, stickers, and springs. What I'm missing is the actual boards they'll be going in; they'll be here sometime in December or January.

What I'm wondering is this: Am I safe to lube the stems and bottom housing (undecided on lubing the springs) now and then just solder everything together when I get the Van kits? Or will letting the switches sit while not mounted in a plate (i.e., on their sides, upside down, etc in a ziplock bag) allow the lube to seep into places it shouldn't be and ruin the switches?

Just itching to get to work and figured I can take care of the switches while I'm waiting on everything else. But if you guys tell me this is a bad idea, I'll hold off and do everything when I get the kits.

Thanks! :thumb:
Pok3r - 1976 - MX Clears   Magicforce 68 - Tai Hao - MX Greens

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #567 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 14:46:42 »
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't overdo the lubing, and even then the overdone lubing is is the problem and not the fact that you stored them differently.

Also, I'd highly suggest lubing the springs, there is nothing worse than pinging switches and lubing the springs does help with that a lot.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #568 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 06:17:16 »

um doesn't turpentine eat through plastic?

Turpentine doesn't eat through (most of the plastics I have tried)
However, Acetone does eat into plastics, although it guarantees things to be oil / grease free afterwards.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Lleiwynn

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 13:35:25 »
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't overdo the lubing, and even then the overdone lubing is is the problem and not the fact that you stored them differently.

Good to know - thank you. I'm really just wanting to do something while I wait on the Van kits.

Also, I'd highly suggest lubing the springs, there is nothing worse than pinging switches and lubing the springs does help with that a lot.

I'm kind of waffling on this. I've read that lubing the springs makes little to no difference, and then I've read the exact opposite. The lube I have is the "thin" Krytox solution from TechKeys. They also offer a "spring" solution. Do you think I could get away with using the same "thin" TechKeys lube on both the stems/housings and the springs?

Re-reading the description on their site, it sounds like the "spring" lube is just a smaller amount of lube (0.5mL vs 2mL in the "thin" lube kit). Says it's a Krytox GPL 206/1506 mix. So I'd imagine I can use the "thin" stuff I bought on all friction points.

Thanks for the help - I'm way out in the weeds on this, lol.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #570 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 14:19:28 »

I'm kind of waffling on this. I've read that lubing the springs makes little to no difference, and then I've read the exact opposite. The lube I have is the "thin" Krytox solution from TechKeys. They also offer a "spring" solution. Do you think I could get away with using the same "thin" TechKeys lube on both the stems/housings and the springs?

It does not make a lot of difference if you don't have an issue with pinging to begin with. But lubing springs doesn't really take much time to begin with and, if you open the switches anyways, it is definitely worth it, mainly because you don't have to open them again in case you end up with pinging.

Re-reading the description on their site, it sounds like the "spring" lube is just a smaller amount of lube (0.5mL vs 2mL in the "thin" lube kit). Says it's a Krytox GPL 206/1506 mix. So I'd imagine I can use the "thin" stuff I bought on all friction points.

I'd guess the spring lube uses a different ratio of the two blends in the mix, does it make a difference? I don't know, I've been using GPL105 for all my springs (mainly because I've got a lot of it for free) and it works fine, never felt the need for special spring lube tbh.

Offline calavera

« Reply #571 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 05:51:54 »
Hey guys, is it possible to lube the spacebar stabs without taking the whole board apart?
I don't know why but seems the lubes have dried out from years of usage and I need to somehow lube them again. I was told I can use a syringe to apply it on the side walls and that seems doable but getting into the tabs the stabilizer attaches to seems impossible.

Offline Lleiwynn

« Reply #572 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 07:24:31 »
It does not make a lot of difference if you don't have an issue with pinging to begin with. But lubing springs doesn't really take much time to begin with and, if you open the switches anyways, it is definitely worth it, mainly because you don't have to open them again in case you end up with pinging.

Makes sense. After thinking about your suggestions (and finally getting all my switch mod components delivered), I'll probably just go ahead and lube the springs too. Like you said, I'll be opening the switches anyway, so I might as well.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #573 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 13:43:07 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:39:37 by alienman82 »

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #574 on: Sun, 27 November 2016, 16:30:35 »
Dow Molykote 44m

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Molykote-Medium-Lubricant/dp/B001VY1EL8

Would this work well, its pretty thick I have a bit that I used on arcade cabinet joysticks.

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 November 2016, 16:34:24 by Grimspoon »

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 05:11:51 »
Does anyone have the original pics associated with this guide or can make new ones?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #576 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:38:55 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:47 by alienman82 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 09:56:07 »
Does anyone have the original pics associated with this guide or can make new ones?

I reuploaded some of the broken image links with images that I had / could find.

Please PM me if anyone has more.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #578 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 11:28:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:04 by alienman82 »

Offline kiettv12

« Reply #579 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 02:16:54 »
Which krytox best for stabs guy?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 10:04:52 »
Which krytox best for stabs guy?

You'll want a 200-series grease, higher number is probably better, like 204/205

FWIW I used Super Lube recently to great success, super cheap: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/super-lube-silicone-lubricating-grease-with-ptfe.html
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline xandwich

« Reply #581 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 10:41:11 »
FWIW I used Super Lube recently to great success, super cheap
Yeah!  Just bought a quart of Super Lube's utralight (slightly lighter than Krytox 103) to try on some switches.

Offline VGVisionary

« Reply #582 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:30:52 »
This guide is so insightful! Thanks! I just got two Model M's coming in, but now that I've read all this I need to figure out how it all applies to a Model M maintenance. Guess there's more reading ahead of me...

And picking the right lubes, dear lord who would've thought I'd ever have to do this in my life!

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #583 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 00:46:58 »
Dow Molykote 44m

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Molykote-Medium-Lubricant/dp/B001VY1EL8

Would this work well, its pretty thick I have a bit that I used on arcade cabinet joysticks.

Ended up using this stuff on some stabs earlier tonight. Works like a charm. 10/10, would use again. Removed all rattle from space bar. Packed some into a spare syringe I got from a Krytox order off Techkeys, applied it front and back on stabs I had already previously installed on a Zeal60 board. Feels very good!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #584 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 20:49:06 »
Any recommendations to lube 100 switches without taking 4 hours??

Lol, get a 40% board.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #585 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 18:59:58 »
Took apart some Pandas to put Mod-M switches in their housings since people said it magnified the tactility.
It did, but it also magnified the rattling and scratchy(?) feeling so I put a barely visible amount of lube on the stem sliders and an afterthought on the slider housing.
It's incredibly smooth and quiet now but the bump feels quieter or hidden somehow... can still feel it when I press slowly.  It's not what I expected but I guess I didn't know what I expected.
It still feels pretty nice actually, but would swapping in heavier springs bring the bump out more by drawing out the keypress?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #586 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 05:01:14 »
Is mixing krytox 103 and 205 in equal parts still considered the best option for switches and springs?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #587 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 15:51:56 »
Is mixing krytox 103 and 205 in equal parts still considered the best option for switches and springs?

Just get GPL104 if you want thinner 103. If you mix iirc you need to heat to combine them and avoid separation?

For linears I only ever use 104 and it's excellent.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Elijah

« Reply #588 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 19:39:34 »
Just finished my cherry ergo clears, useful guide, had to resort to some other lube type unfortunately due to availability but I'm very happy with the results. Used 70 rc spring lubricant in light quantities, I must have gone through a few ml for the entire board worth of switches.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:14:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:21:03 by alienman82 »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 13:29:22 »
Took apart some Pandas to put Mod-M switches in their housings since people said it magnified the tactility.
It did, but it also magnified the rattling and scratchy(?) feeling so I put a barely visible amount of lube on the stem sliders and an afterthought on the slider housing.
It's incredibly smooth and quiet now but the bump feels quieter or hidden somehow... can still feel it when I press slowly.  It's not what I expected but I guess I didn't know what I expected.
It still feels pretty nice actually, but would swapping in heavier springs bring the bump out more by drawing out the keypress?
IME the heavier the spring the more drawn out & less apparent the tactile bump will become, pretty much the opposite of what you want. I would think a lighter spring would bring the tactility out more, but I have never tried that personally as I prefer heavier switches.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #591 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 18:07:06 »

103/107 mix for stems.

107 alone for springs.

204 for stabs.

that's the best..

Looking for equivalent stuff in Europe.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #592 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 17:09:20 »
Still lots of pics missing from the guide  :(

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #593 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 19:30:47 »
What percentage/ratios does everyone recommend of VPF 1514 and GPL 204 for linear switches (and/or tactile switches)?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #594 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 21:00:54 »
What percentage/ratios does everyone recommend of VPF 1514 and GPL 204 for linear switches (and/or tactile switches)?

Don't mix. It will separate later. Tradition dictates thin for linear (VPF 1514), thick for tactile (204). But there are exceptions, I've heard of people liking thicker stuff on linears as well.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #595 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 21:38:18 »
this is what Zeal told me to do:

lube bottom rails left and right
also touch a bit on the border rails
then lube the spring inside n out
drop it in
lube everywhere on stem. literally every surface
swirl around the pole
drop it in
don't add lube to legs on tactile zealios
add extra on linears
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #596 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 03:59:17 »

drop it in
swirl around the pole
drop it in
add extra on linears

Those instructions sound like some kids play song. :D But thanks, will try this technique. :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #597 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 05:55:05 »

drop it in
swirl around the pole
drop it in
add extra on linears

Those instructions sound like some kids play song. :D But thanks, will try this technique. :)

I’d love some pictures to go with these instructions.  Especially to explain what bottom rails are vs border rails.

Offline KaidaT

• I'm new to keybs, but also excited??
« Reply #598 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:43:48 »
Oh, good to know! Glad I have a day off soon lol.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 07:10:08 »
Does anyone know what common lubricant can produce such residue?  Does it look like it might be too much Superlube?  It seems sticker than Krytox 103 and 201 that I'm used to.  Less sticky than Victorinox oil.  You can see the white residue as well as the oil-slick shiny surface all around the bottom housing.

(Attachment Link)

And this appetizing photograph is of MX Black stems soaking in detergent.

Rononol lighter fluid works great as a solvent for many oils and greases.  This is safer than soap and water because it wil not oxidize metal parts.

(Attachment Link)

I'm cleaning the switch tops, the stems, and the springs, but not sure what to do about the bottoms. <-- Looks like cotton swabs soaked in alcohol work well on the slider channels in the bottom housing!

Is LZ soaking these switches in detergent?

http://lzlife.tistory.com/category/LZ%20Histroy

If so, what kind do you clean your switches with?

I had a very bad experience with washing the switches (~100 broken oxidized switch housings).
Therefore, I would like to share with anyone who is attempting to wash their switch in water.
Please be very careful, the brass contact points will get oxidized quickly and easily when they contact H20.

Actually, IMO, I think we only need to wash the stem but do not wash the switch housing.
In order to clean the switch housing, we can use a clean toothbrush to clean it.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Ronsonol lighter fluid makes a great solvent for breaking down many  oils and greases.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.