Author Topic: Intelli Mouse Explorer 3.0  (Read 30955 times)

Offline Arcane

Intelli Mouse Explorer 3.0
« on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 14:34:59 »
I just want to know if there's only the grey version around or if there's also a black version. When I look at google pictures I find many pictures of black looking IE 3.0

Is there a revision that decides the mouse color and maybe other issues? like scroll wheel fix and stuff like that?

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 17:39:46 »
They are just custom models rebuilt by different companies. Same mice no improvements in most cases on an almost 10 year old mouse just different color, maybe new mouse feet, maybe in a few; new scroll wheel or different scroll mechanism and selling it for almost twice as much.

The only "revision" is lower quality as the years go by due to people who like the mouse noticing that year-by-year Intellis are built with lesser and lesser quality.

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 20:33:43 »
be careful on ebay.  i saw someone selling what looked like a black one and it turned out to be the same gun metal gray i have now.  they are selling white ones at best buy right now.
I <3 BS

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 October 2010, 21:15:29 »
The only "revision" is lower quality as the years go by due to people who like the mouse noticing that year-by-year Intellis are built with lesser and lesser quality.
How so? I really like the Intellimouse 3.0, been using it for years. My original one bit the dust awhile back, so I've been using an updated grey version.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline thcyash

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 04:00:16 »
black versions of the Explorer 3.0 exist as special editions ( but they are hard to get) :

SteelSeries IME 3.0 SS Intellimouse Explorer

Alienware Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 04:26:12 »
I've had two in 3 years, which is pretty good. Need a new one now, however, as I had to replace the cable on this one and the cable came open...

Anyway, the first I had was silver as can be seen here: http://www.dansdata.com/images/blog/meeces1280.jpg

Offline Arcane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 06:58:11 »
I recently bought a IE 3.0 and on the site there was this picture of it: (top left)

So I thought I get this black version but I got a dark grey looking IE 3.0....

Yea it's the mouse on the bottom of the picture in the link above.

Offline Arcane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 13:25:14 »
also whats better connecting the mouse via usb or ps2 adapter?

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 15:32:39 »
USB so long as you can get the polling rate up to 500Hz, even 250Hz is better than 125. 500hz is more consistent than 1000Hz for the time being 1000Hz fluctuates way too much but that might change in the future as they fix that issue.

The IEs max tracking improves with a higher polling rate enough to avoid most low sens issues. Plus either way it improves any mouse anyhow since the computer is asking and the mouse is replying where it's at, more often.

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 October 2010, 20:11:39 »
Quote from: ripster;234363
Do people ever fry their mice boosting their mice up to 1000hz?

Are we gonna get Razer Mechanical owners complaining they just fried their keyboard setting it at 1000hz?

Yeah it has happened many times.

The polling rate drivers of mice companies is a lot safer though some still have issues with them. But some of the home brew apps have caused ports to be fried or even mice to be fried or both.

Sometimes the port/mice shuts off and doesn't work. Gotta uninstall the port/mouse and or restart and returns to normal but sometimes it's permanent. As for frying a whole motherboard I've never run into it, I'm sure it might have happened but mobos are capable of handling watts and volts easily so I'm sure it's not gonna hurt the mobo.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 05:01:10 »
why are ppl still looking for IE 3.0s? they are unusable on any screen bigger than 20' really.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 08:56:36 »
Quote from: manfaux;235085
why are ppl still looking for IE 3.0s? they are unusable on any screen bigger than 20' really.

How that? I use it on a 1920x1080 res 24" screen without problems.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 09:29:16 »
Because he is probably too lazy to move his mouse more than 5cm on the desktop (without accel. and/or interpolation) and thinks it's the same for everyone else.

I'm also too lazy for 400 CPI @1680*1050 on the desktop. :D
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 11:12:09 »
I'm not going to deny that it is a sub-par gaming mouse for FPSes and the like, or if you want easy pixel-level resolution for image editing. But for normal computing uses it is absolutely adequate, even at very high resolutions.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2010, 11:14:26 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 12:17:35 »
The RAT mice do have a really good concept in that everyone's hands are different. I've always had some pain from using normal mice because I have very large hands and long fingers. Ergonomics is important when it comes to mice.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 14:54:52 »
Quote from: ripster;235158

They say the same about us and keyboards but at least different keyboards feel different.

For many people different mice feel different.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 15:29:49 »
Quote from: ripster;235192
And you know what they say about guys with big hands....

Big hands = big gloves
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 16:43:07 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;235157
I'm not going to deny that it is a sub-par gaming mouse for FPSes and the like, or if you want easy pixel-level resolution for image editing. But for normal computing uses it is absolutely adequate, even at very high resolutions.

actually the IE 3.0 is fine for most FPS games, players still use it. It's the normal daily use that the IE is incompetent for. i have a u2711 at 2560 x 1440, try moving your cursor across the screen on that with an IE 3.0 and you know what i mean.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 October 2010, 19:55:14 »
Quote from: manfaux;235254
actually the IE 3.0 is fine for most FPS games, players still use it. It's the normal daily use that the IE is incompetent for. i have a u2711 at 2560 x 1440, try moving your cursor across the screen on that with an IE 3.0 and you know what i mean.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline tonyklo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 07:17:04 »
lol pretty sure u can just change the window sensitivity for higher resolution? lol...
but im just fine on 500dpi / 1680x1050 default 6/11 window ...so i really dont see how IE 3.0's 400dpi isn't enough :P

Offline J888www

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 15:28:41 »
Wonder why they use this mouse ?
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 18:34:24 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;235177
The RAT mice do have a really good concept in that everyone's hands are different. I've always had some pain from using normal mice because I have very large hands and long fingers. Ergonomics is important when it comes to mice.

I never had a problem with computer mice (I enjoy using different sized ones at that: helps prevent your hand from getting locked up or sore). Although I don't like mac mice, blah. I like my IBM mice...

What I DO have problems with is:
A) shoes
B) pants

My shoes are a size 13, but they have to be long and narrow. It's near damn impossible to find narrow shoes as they make them for all wide feet (i.e. "skateboarder shoes"). Takes hours for me to find shoes. I'm sure Ryan Stiles feels my pain lol.

Getting pants is a horrible headache. Try finding 32x36. 30x36 would actually fit me way better, but I sincerely doubt such a size exists.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline manfaux

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 October 2010, 19:13:01 »
Quote from: tonyklo;235429
lol pretty sure u can just change the window sensitivity for higher resolution? lol...
but im just fine on 500dpi / 1680x1050 default 6/11 window ...so i really dont see how IE 3.0's 400dpi isn't enough :P

higher sensitivity is irrelevant, theoretically you can have a mouse with 10 dpi and have an ultra high sens as the OS sensitivity setting is all software controlled. you will probably be fine movement wise but your pointing precision will be horrible which is you don't want in gaming or any kind of graphic work. There is a reason why all starcraft 2 players use newer mice with high dpi's.

Offline Scarzy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 08:23:40 »
Quote from: Bullveyr;235227
For many people different mice feel different.

Bullveyr from ESR, right? And this is very true.

I own a WMO, Deathadder, MX518 and IME3, all mice have their unique feel, and i'm not talking about the build of these mice, I'm talking about the ways that the sensors feel while tracking. Respectivley, the WMO, and the IME3 use the same senors, (no prediction, but low m/s) but I do love the shape of my IME3 the shape of the WMO is ok, but I have larger hands, and hence prefer the IME3

The deathadder is by far one of the best mice I have used, because of the supreme smoothness of the sensor on my mousepad and the 518 is not too shabby either, although shape is pretty bad imho (the deathadder imho is too heavy, but still like to use it for ET/RTCW), and so my sister is using my G11, and my MX518, i'm such a nice sibling. I want to try a trackball out in the near future, but haven't got round to it yet.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 08:55:44 »
Quote from: Scarzy;235881
Bullveyr from ESR, right?

Jep, there is only one Bullveyr. :D

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 16:16:29 »
Quote from: manfaux;235688
higher sensitivity is irrelevant, theoretically you can have a mouse with 10 dpi and have an ultra high sens as the OS sensitivity setting is all software controlled. you will probably be fine movement wise but your pointing precision will be horrible which is you don't want in gaming or any kind of graphic work. There is a reason why all starcraft 2 players use newer mice with high dpi's.

What...what are you even saying? The OS only decreases the speed of the mouse. The mouse reports back a certain number of "ticks", the rate of which dictates the speed of the cursor. No, "ticks" is not a technical term, but that's what DPI (or more correctly, CPI) measures: the amount of "ticks" the mouse reports back to the computer. Software-controlled sensitivity only multiplies that rating by a factor of less than or equal to one. That's how lower sensitivity works. On top of that, most modern, non-****ty mice now have onboard sensitivity that changes the number of DPI the mouse reports back to the computer... So actually, no, it's not "all software controlled". If anything it's mainly hardware and firmware controlled. The reason why "all starcraft 2 players use newer mice with high dpi's" is because they prefer a higher-speed mouse. It has nothing to do with "precision". And on top of it, you can't just make the generalization that all gamers use new mice, because they don't, nor can you say that all gamers use high-sensitivity mice, because they don't.

I honestly can't find a single correct statement in that entire post.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline manfaux

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 18:06:00 »
Quote from: CodeChef;236101
What...what are you even saying? The OS only decreases the speed of the mouse. The mouse reports back a certain number of "ticks", the rate of which dictates the speed of the cursor. No, "ticks" is not a technical term, but that's what DPI (or more correctly, CPI) measures: the amount of "ticks" the mouse reports back to the computer. Software-controlled sensitivity only multiplies that rating by a factor of less than or equal to one. That's how lower sensitivity works. On top of that, most modern, non-****ty mice now have onboard sensitivity that changes the number of DPI the mouse reports back to the computer... So actually, no, it's not "all software controlled". If anything it's mainly hardware and firmware controlled. The reason why "all starcraft 2 players use newer mice with high dpi's" is because they prefer a higher-speed mouse. It has nothing to do with "precision". And on top of it, you can't just make the generalization that all gamers use new mice, because they don't, nor can you say that all gamers use high-sensitivity mice, because they don't.

your wall of text blinds me and I dont even want to read it.

try a mouse with dpi 400 on the 30 inch LCD and turn your sensitivity all way to the max, if you can get any precision out of that and then let me know

Offline manfaux

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 18:08:49 »
Quote from: CodeChef;236101

and i never said ALL GAMERS, learn to read.
 a lot of FPS players prefer low sensitivity mice. Only the RTS players will benefit from higher sensitivity. Obviously there are oddballs who prefer old mice but 99% of them use newer mice with at least 1800 dpi

Offline zefrer

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 18:56:33 »
CodeChef just try it if you want.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 19:21:24 »
manfaux, I could take the time to present each one of your logical fallacies right now and completely destroy your argument, but I'm way too lazy to. If you really want to avoid the argument and pick at my actual text, then I'm going to go ahead and say that nothing you have typed so far is valid because you have horrible grammar.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 October 2010, 20:03:32 »
This thread is simply overflowing with bad grammar and weak arguments. I suppose that is an inevitable consequence of arguing about gaming and mice over the internet.

Offline CodeChef

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 19:56:22 »
Quote from: ripster;236198
Perhaps it's because only teenagers really care that much about mice.  At least that's what it seems like on OCN's mouse forum.

Very true. I spent about a week on OCN before nearly going blind. Is the entire board populated ENTIRELY of 12-14 year olds?
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 October 2010, 21:27:14 »
Quote from: ripster

Wonder if the mods get paid?

You better not become a mod there, or else we'll all say

Offline Scarzy

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 October 2010, 05:38:16 »
Quote from: ripster;236635
I don't think I'm in the running.  All my posts there get deleted.

Tehehe