Author Topic: Kinesis Savant Elite footpedals  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Kinesis Savant Elite footpedals
« on: Mon, 03 January 2011, 15:00:59 »
I have the Kinesis Savant Elite foot pedals, but unfortunately have never been able to find a good use for them. Originally I got them to help with the mouse clicks (most of my hand pain came from clicking), but it was far too slow and required sitting in the right way so as to have the pedals under your feet. And now with the advent of the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and the like clicking/tapping isn't such a big deal.

Any idea of a good use for these? They are re-mappable through a variety of mechanisms.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline negidaku

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 17:40:23 »
Sell them to the nearest Emacs user.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 16:54:05 »
The only ideas I can think of are gaming-related, and for those, I'd want analog pedals. (Two different types, actually-one for cars, one for aircraft.)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 17:42:49 »
Are they RJ11 plug and play with a Kinesis keyboard like Evolution or Contour?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 12:31:30 »
I have the Kinesis Contoured model triple foot switch with the Contoured. I found (for my use) that it can be used VERY well for "tab", "caps" and "shift". If I did more 10 key, I would definitely use it for the embedded layer.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline kps

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 January 2011, 13:07:12 »
I have triple foot switches on mine (homebrew from old dictation switches), but never actually use them.

Offline bwahacker

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 July 2011, 21:44:47 »
I have long pondered buying these but I use a Kenesis Freestyle on a Mac, and the Mac doesn't allow one USB HID to modify input from another--so the key pedals cannot be used as a modifier key stroke.  Or that is my understanding.  Perhaps it would be useful for clicking, I am not sure.

I've also read complaints about squeaking and other problems... But I keep thinking I would like go try them.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 02:00:33 »
I use my footswitches with my Kinesis Contoured on Mac. I have a Freestyle also, the Mac version. I can try it out for you. I'm not sure how the footswitch controls the input on a Freestyle though.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~