Author Topic: Model M Rivet Replacement  (Read 26631 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Model M Rivet Replacement
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 15:36:23 »
YAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!

On fifth try with same board. four hammers out of place. I hate this mod.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 15:42:57 »
steady now, you can do it! :)

then never remove the bolts again ;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 16:21:18 »
Quote from: ricercar;171940
YAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!

On fifth try with same board. four hammers out of place. I hate this mod.

Why are the hammers out of place??  Once the sheets and rubber pad go on, it sort of holds everything in place??   Make sure nothing touches the springs as you're reassembling the frame.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 16:39:38 »
I had to redo mine three times...

Once you place the hammers, than the membrane and finally the sheets and the back plate. You cannot move, budge, fumble the assembly at all. I kid you not.

I took ripsters advice and got the nuts around the outside first, then a half dozen or so in the middle.  Only then did I feel comfortable moving it around.

Nothing blows more than having to take the whole damn thing apart to fix a couple of mis-aligned hammers.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 16:41:49 »
Quote from: skcheng;170761
Interesting that you feel no difference.   In my case, the board felt more solid, the typing more damped and overall feel much more even.  I did have 13 broken rivets before I modified my my Mini.  Before this mod, I would compare the Mini to an old basketball court with uneven bounces.  Especialy on the right side by the enter key and the numpad.  Now it's much tighter.  I did screw each nut down fairly tightly  I probably have about 3 threads exposed across the entire board.  

The only reason I had a tough time with the springs/hammers was due to the crack in my frame.  If the crack buckled, I would need to disassemble the keyboard and start again.  

Congrats on getting it done.   The next one will be much easier.  

skc

Right, but how many broken rivets did you start with? None of mine were broken. About the only thing I can think of to play with would be to tighten/loosen the nuts to see how it effects behaviour.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 16:54:40 »
This is fascinating. My rubber sheet was next to the metal on two out of two of my model M keyboards I've disassembled. I've RTFM again today and the assembly clearly shows the rubber against the hammers. I imagine this helps keep the dang hammers in place.

> I had a tough time with the springs/hammers was due to the crack in my frame.
> If the crack buckled, I would need to disassemble the keyboard and start again.

Yeah. This is my problem.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 17:00:59 »
So the hammers were directly against the plastic sheet? wow.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 17:11:05 »
Quote from: bigpook;171957
So the hammers were directly against the plastic sheet? wow.

No wonder they won't stay in place, eh? Talk about zero friction...

I'm actually thinking that my notes are more likely to be incorrect than the boards are to have the rubber against the metal. I took the two keyboards apart the same night about a year ago. One with anger. One with tools. That's why i had so many caps to give away when I joined Geekhack.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 18:18:53 »
Quote from: ricercar;171962
No wonder they won't stay in place, eh? Talk about zero friction...

Sorry man, but I have to laugh. It's not like its 'easy' with the membrane holding the hammers down(better I suppose), but the plastic?  : ) I can only imagine the frustration.
I found just nudging the frame could cause at least one of the hammers to get misaligned...
the end result is worth it though.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 18:40:03 »
ricercar, forgot to ask. When you had the hammers up against the sheet and the membrane on the bottom; did it even work?

Just wondering if the hammer hitting the plastic sheet would register a key stroke.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 19:56:18 »
On another note, I switched back to my other unicomp space saver with the original rivets. After using the 'modded' one for a week or so I can say that the unmodded space saver feels tighter and seems to require a bit more push to get the key to go.

The modded space saver feels a bit lighter overall. I need to take the covers off and look at the nuts and see how much thread is showing.

If anything, the modded keyboard may be somewhat 'adjustable'. I will know more when I tighten/loosen the nuts.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 07:04:19 »
I wonder if the modded 'board doesn't allow the plate to flex as much, thus directing more force into the switch activation instead of "bending" the plate.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 13:21:47 »
Quote from: itlnstln;172048
I wonder if the modded 'board doesn't allow the plate to flex as much, thus directing more force into the switch activation instead of "bending" the plate.

Not sure about flexing the plate.

I  think with the nuts on 'loose' the spring isn't loaded as much. Which I think would make for a springier feel.

With the nuts 'tight/tighter' the spring is loaded, making for more resistance on a key press.

I don't think the metal or plastic plate is flexing.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:27:24 »
I took it apart and tightened the screws. I was seeing two threads on most of them (give or take).
It tightens up the board like I expected. Which means to say that it feels like a traditional model m. To me anyways.

I then took it back apart, and loosened all of the inside screws, leaving the perimeter alone.
Not quite flush to the top of the screw.( This is how I did it initially too )

The keys are more lively, just short of jangly almost but not in a bad way. I like the lighter feel.
All in all, I think the difference is plus or minus a thread or so.
None of the above is exact, I am going by eye and by feel.

I have a 1391401 I want to try this out on next...

I still think the mod is non-trivial, but is worth doing as it does change the feel of the keyboard.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:42:41 »
Quote from: bigpook;171982
ricercar, forgot to ask. When you had the hammers up against the sheet and the membrane on the bottom; did it even work?

I haven't hooked up the controller yet. I'll do that only after I get 100% of the keys clicking—in other words, after all the hammers are in place.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 11:30:33 »
Quote from: bigpook;171986
On another note, I switched back to my other unicomp space saver with the original rivets. After using the 'modded' one for a week or so I can say that the unmodded space saver feels tighter and seems to require a bit more push to get the key to go.

The modded space saver feels a bit lighter overall. I need to take the covers off and look at the nuts and see how much thread is showing.

If anything, the modded keyboard may be somewhat 'adjustable'. I will know more when I tighten/loosen the nuts.

As far as I understand, the membrane has two layers to it - the bottom one is the contact, and the top one is the conductive pad. So you'd need to press down on it to get it to actuate... Simply resting the hammer on it will accomplish nothing.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 12:01:32 »
I had only one membrane and that was the top layer, closest to the hammers, followed by the plastic sheets. The plastic sheets rest directly against the bottom metal plate.

There is some leeway when tightening the screws. I got them as tight as 2 or so threads showing. Any more tightening would set the screw to rotate.
Currently, the nuts are just about flush with the screw, which isn't a whole lot, but I felt the difference.
I didn't count all of the screws on the unicomp space saver that I used but am thinking you could 'lighten it up' some more by judicious removal of some of the nuts.

Offline pfink

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 02:24:34 »
Quote from: ripster;104390
EDIT:  I am adding a few pointers after doing 4 of these.   You can use this method successfully to fix a broken rivet area WITHOUT removing each and every rivet with a chisel.  On my 122Key terminal board I did a quick fix on one area with 6 broken rivets by just driving a couple of screwholes, inserting bolts and tightening.   There is a remote danger of plastic dust making it's way in between the membranes but hasn't happened to me and when examining sheets after a test I didn't see any.

I just replaced 12 missing rivets on one of my Minis using the above method. It worked out great, thanks for the instructions.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 05:15:55 »
Surely you mean "drilling a couple of screwholes"? It's either that, or my english sucks :)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 07:10:44 »
Quote from: pfink;177476
I just replaced 12 missing rivets on one of my Minis using the above method. It worked out great, thanks for the instructions.

Go for the whole board!!   I'm working on another one today.   Can you say, "no longer NIB"   :)

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 07:16:33 »
Why would anyone do this mod on a keyboard with no missing rivets?
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 07:31:16 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;177490
Why would anyone do this mod on a keyboard with no missing rivets?

It's missing rivets.   And even it it wasn't, it would with some use.   Take any Model M and pick at the rivets with your fingernail and I'll bet that at least 4 or 5 rivets pop right off.

Offline pfink

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 09:28:55 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;177480
Surely you mean "drilling a couple of screwholes"? It's either that, or my english sucks :)

I can't comment on your English skills but I definitely got more out of this article than just "drilling a couple of screwholes." I wouldn't have known that it was safe to drill without completely disassembling unless I did my own experimenting, so the instructions saved me a good bit of time. Also, he provided specific nut/bolt/drill bit sizes which saved a lot of guesswork.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 09:33:51 »
(post purpose made null by later reply)
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2010, 10:01:16 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 09:52:19 »
Quote from: pfink;177513
I can't comment on your English skills but I definitely got more out of this article than just "drilling a couple of screwholes." I wouldn't have known that it was safe to drill without completely disassembling unless I did my own experimenting, so the instructions saved me a good bit of time. Also, he provided specific nut/bolt/drill bit sizes which saved a lot of guesswork.

I wasn't commenting the article. I was only commenting the EDIT that you quoted in your previous post so I didn't deem it neccessary to quote it again.

Anyway, I was referring to the part where it says "On my 122Key terminal board I did a quick fix on one area with 6 broken rivets by just driving a couple of screwholes, inserting bolts and tightening." and was just trying to clear up the meaning of "driving a couple of screwholes" as I wasn't quite sure what he meant.

Cheers,
SainT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pfink

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 10:03:37 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;177521
I wasn't commenting the article. I was only commenting the EDIT that you quoted in your previous post so I didn't deem it neccessary to quote it again.

Anyway, I was referring to the part where it says "On my 122Key terminal board I did a quick fix on one area with 6 broken rivets by just driving a couple of screwholes, inserting bolts and tightening." and was just trying to clear up the meaning of "driving a couple of screwholes" as I wasn't quite sure what he meant.

Ah, gotcha.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2010, 10:39:35 by pfink »

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 10:12:23 »
Alrighty. So, my original question still stands: driving = drilling; in this case? :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 16:05:00 »
Quote from: ripster;177532
And now that BigPook has done it (even if he didn't read the instructions fully :biggrin1:) I can safely say ANYONE can do it.

Don't get ahead of yourself. The jury is still out on my rivet repair.

Offline J888www

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 16:41:07 »
I did a mini and I'm short-sighted, some might say "half-blind" :pray2:
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 16:46:30 »
Quote from: ricercar;177608
Don't get ahead of yourself. The jury is still out on my rivet repair.

Yo, Ricer (you asian or sumpthin)!  This one's easy.  Helen Keller can do it an she dead.  Sheeeeet.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 17:01:06 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;177623
Yo, Ricer (you asian or sumpthin)!  This one's easy.  Helen Keller can do it an she dead.  Sheeeeet.
Yo
  • A ricercar is classical music; nothing to do with pimped asian automobiles.
  • Rivet repair ain't 'easy' when the plastic's cracked.
  • Helen Keller couldn't do it even when she was alive. Neither could Stevie Wonder, and he's only mostly dead.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 17:02:44 »
If only the real Stevie Wonder could see this thread.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 19:45:21 »
"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."
- Roy Batty, Bladerunner

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

Offline bigpook

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 21:02:13 »
Quote from: ripster;177532
You're welcome.

And now that BigPook has done it (even if he didn't read the instructions fully :biggrin1:) I can safely say ANYONE can do it.

: ) I can be pretty bad when it comes to reading instructions. You posted some good pics, once I saw the chisel, I figured any relatively sharp, flat piece of metal would do.
And it did : ) though not as nicely as a real chisel.
I have the nuts backed out a bit, which gives the keys a little lighter feel. I may have to use a little dab of loc-tight as one of them has already come undone.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 21:03:01 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;177529
Alrighty. So, my original question still stands: driving = drilling; in this case? :)

In my neck of the woods it does...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 07:22:51 »
How did you remove the springs without opening the assembly? I tried tweezers but wasn't that successful.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 07:25:32 »
Quote from: ch_123;180656
How did you remove the springs without opening the assembly? I tried tweezers but wasn't that successful.

Taking off the springs is easy.   Practice on one in your hands.   Grab spring with needle nose pliers and yank.  It will come off.   Putting a new spring back on is a little more tedious.   But not as tedious as a full nuts/bolts mod.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 09:49:56 »
Okay.  Do as Rip says.  I've only tried it on a spring/hammer assembly in my hands.   And only cuz I was bored.....

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 04:28:09 »
So, when you remove the spring you turn counterclockwise, and when you reinsert, you also turn counterclockwise?

Im not having much luck with it :(

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 05:10:54 »
Tried that. It doesn't seem to be screwing on to the stem on the hammer at all...

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 05:18:53 »
Quote from: ripster;180683
ChopstickOdeath is your friend.
Show Image

Why not just use a toothpick? :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 05:29:44 »
I found it was easy enough to remove the spring with my fingers.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 19:42:03 »
Thought I would post my observations. I got a '92 model m space saver from xsphat a month or so ago and did the nut/bolt mod on it. It was NIB but had like 19 broken rivets, still felt great to type on though but went ahead and did the mod anyway.
However, instead of using the original spring/hammers I got a new set from Unicomp, thinking they would be lighter. The short answer is no, they are not lighter. I have no idea why the Unicomp generally feels a bit lighter than the IBM's. Its a mystery to me.

I then did the nut/bolt mod on a Unicomp spacesaver that I have and didn't hork the nuts down all the way. It seemed to lighten the feel a bit, especially when compared to the IBM.

I then got another Unicomp space saver but didn't do the mod.

So from harder to lighter its the IBM, than the unmodded Unicomp, than the modded Unicomp.

The modded Unicomp is noticeably lighter in feel, even compared to the umodded Unicomp.

I like all three though, the feel and noise are just about perfect for me.

Offline jpc

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 06 October 2010, 09:14:57 »
I made some mistakes while bolt-modding.

Mistake #1:

Drill a bit off-center so that some of the studs are mangled. Leave the mangled studs in place. Now the barrel plate and backplate will be further apart than on a stock model M.

Mistake #2:

Overreact to mistake #1, and sand the studs down completely. In Ripster's photo here, the stud is the round bit, and below the stud is an oval-shaped raised structure:

To make this mistake, sand off the oval-shape. Now the barrel plate and backplate will be closer together than in a stock model M.

Mistake #1 will give you a low activation point.

Mistake #2 will give you a spring that is extra compressed when the key is at rest. The weight required to budge the key is 60g on a board with this mistake vs. about 45g on a stock model M. This feels "crunchy" -- the transition from no movement to buckling is quick. It feels similar to crunchy Type II "XM" Alps which have a real corn flake in every keystroke.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline jpc

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 17:59:48 »
I got a fresh barrel plate and drilled the studs the right way. This time I was careful to retain the oval-shaped structure around the stud. See previous post. That structure is critical to having proper key feel. And the result feels perfect :D

The process that worked is:
   * Try to chisel cleanly, but it's OK if you don't make a clean cut every time.
   * Sand any studs that don't have a nice flat top, as well as any stud with a smushed "anvil top" that is wider than the stud itself.

You want to see:
   * No anvil tops
   * A smooth flat surface atop each stud
   * The height of the studs is not significant. The heights need not match.
   * The oval-shaped raised structure surrounding the stud should be completely intact!

Then you're ready to drill. Flat tops on the studs will make it easy to drill into the center of each one.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 18:11:14 »
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting a centered hole on these things. Might have to track down a drill press. How are you guys starting your drill holes?

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline jpc

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 18:44:02 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;231046
I'm having a lot of difficulty getting a centered hole on these things. Might have to track down a drill press. How are you guys starting your drill holes?

I use a Dremel. I had to buy a Dremel chuck to hold the drill bit. (It's a shame my Dremel did not come with a chuck, because the chuck is awesome. It's easy to use and can hold most of the Dremel accessories. And drill bits.)

The drill bit was from an 8 year old set, but the 1/16" bit saw no action prior to bolt-modding, so I guess that is a new drill bit like ripster suggests.

Sanding the top of the stud to make it flat helps.

You might be able to tap a depression into the middle of the studs, to guide the drill bit? I have not tried this.

Offline jpc

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 18:46:54 »
Not that there's anything wrong with using a drill press. That should work great too.

Searching for "drill press" on amazon results in a page of "boring machines." That's what normal people think keyboards are.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 20:44:21 »
I'll try a chuck for my dremel. I was using my single-speed drill to make the holes.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline jpc

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 07 October 2010, 20:45:09 »
Quote from: ripster;231091
Sharpen Your Chisel!

I could only get a clean cut with a brand new chisel about 2/3 of the time. This might depend on the condition of the rivets. Or I might be a klutz.

Sanding the studs flat afterward? 100% success rate. Big fan.

If you can do better with the chisel, you can sand less and vice versa. Any combination can lead to a good result.

But if you sand, don't sand too far down...