Author Topic: MiMiC Cables - Custom Sleeved Cables  (Read 438854 times)

Offline jcrouse

Re: MM Custom Sleeved Cables - Coming Soon
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:37:38 »
Can you post a few pics of the mini-b end?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:39:57 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:49:00 by esoomenona »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 20:53:08 »
Can you post a few pics of the mini-b end?

I will for sure, once I get them on :)

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 21:43:45 »
As of right now, I can't take anymore orders for carbon fiber sleeving. I'm sorry! See below.

===============
**Update just for those who chose carbon fiber sleeving (I'll send out PM's as well):
So, my original carbon fiber test cable was only about 1 ft long and seemed to work out well. On the first 6ft carbon fiber cable I just tried, I ran into a few issues. First, I need to pick up some sort of painters mask (probably tomorrow sometime) because there are tons of tiny fibers that fly off (and I feel like I have cotton throat).  Apparently breathing in carbon fiber isn't good for you.  Second, I noticed as the bulk cable makes its way through the carbon fiber, the sleeve likes to fray a little. If I received a frayed carbon fiber cable, I don't think I'd be too happy. So, I'm going to try taking my time on one tomorrow (with a mask) and see if this still happens. Whatever the outcome, I just want you to be happy... So new cable/refund/etc. But I'll keep you posted.
===============

Some more 'halfway' cables:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 21:50:06 »
Definitely wear some kind of particulate filtering mask as carbon-fiber has fiberglass in it's composition.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:03:36 »
Definitely wear some kind of particulate filtering mask as carbon-fiber has fiberglass in it's composition.

Say what?  Carbon fiber is by definition... carbon fiber, not fiber glass.  However it's as nasty if not worse.

Typically for a flexible carbon fiber product I'd expect some flexible resin and not much else.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:05:09 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:19:30 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:47:50 by esoomenona »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:27:19 »
I currently do not, BUT I will in the future. I'll make sure to get them on my next order. I'd be happy to send one to those who have purchased cables already as well who won't get them with their cables.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:48:03 »

Say what?  Carbon fiber is by definition... carbon fiber, not fiber glass.  However it's as nasty if not worse.

Typically for a flexible carbon fiber product I'd expect some flexible resin and not much else.

Yeah but the clowns that sold him the material only sold it as a raw product, just like buying raw fiberglass.  But once the material is soaked in resin it helps to seal it nicely.  Too bad they never asked what you where going to use the Carbon Fiber for.  They should of offered a pre-treated flexible version (if it's available).

If the results of using the Carbon Fiber for the usb cable is suspect, then please use another SAFER material.  Remember, we all want something that can be used for years without harming anyone or anything.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:51:45 by Elrick »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:53:00 »
So, if I use ultra clear on the carbon fiber sleeve, the fraying is gone and looks pretty good.  I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 22:58:43 »
So, if I use ultra clear on the carbon fiber sleeve, the fraying is gone and looks pretty good.  I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

I don't want you jeopardizing your health using that raw product.  Sure I gave the money but I don't expect you to risk your hands/lungs for my crummy usb cable.

I would rather see you enjoying putting something together safely rather than be forcing you to play with this type of dangerous material.  I won't stand for it.

Please use another material for my sleeving.  Just keep the difference in price for yourself.  If I had known that you would be dealing with RAW Carbon Fiber I would never had placed the order.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:01:40 by Elrick »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:00:25 »
Thanks for your concern :) I'll get a mask and see how cables turn out.

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:00:49 »

I don't want you jeopardizing your health using that raw product.  Sure I gave the money but I don't expect you to risk your hands/lungs for my crummy usb cable.

I would rather see you enjoying putting something together rather than be forced in playing with this type of dangerous material.  I won't stand for it.

Please use another material for my sleeving.  Just keep the difference in price for yourself.  If I had known that you would be dealing with RAW Carbon Fiber I would never had placed the order.

+1 for this and im with him. Scrap the raw carbon fiber on my account as well.  not only should you not be dealing with it and exposing yourself, i wouldnt want to expose myself or my cat haha :P
i will DEF opt for the double weave though!! i like that :3
Filco MJ2 TKL | HHKB Type-S w/ MX Sliders

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:01:43 »
Nurr, I'm dumb.  I was thinking of carbon-fiber, as in short hand for carbon-fiber-reinforced-polymer, not the wove fiber sheets.

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:02:57 »
and what does the fabric heatshrink look like??  im curious :p

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:06:28 »
Thanks for your concern :) I'll get a mask and see how cables turn out.

That's not all, that SH*T floats in the air.  The fibers are super fine and when you start man-handling the material it starts to fracture.  That is why it acts so much like raw Fiberglass but much finer.  It only stops fracturing once it is soaked in resin, and it becomes safe and quite strong.

You need to work in a separate room that is sealed.  You need to wear a full disposable jumpsuit, gloves and head mask.  You do not want any loose carbon fibers embedding into your skin, hair and clothes.

Trust me I've worked with Fiberglass before in my life and 'untreated' Carbon Fiber is far worse.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:08:09 by Elrick »

Offline Goodfella

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:07:33 »
Yeah that fiber can be really nasty. I have built field offices for the FBI and wrapped interior walls with bullet proof panels that are made primarily out of fiber glass sheets. That stuff is both awful to handle/breath, and takes a substantial amount of time to get it out of your skin. Mine went inside drywall walls, I would never want that stuff exposed.

I will definitely be getting one of these cables from you when I have the money for it, they really look great. Just be safe with that stuff, if the fiber is sticking into your skin, safest bet to get it out is soaking in super hot water (opens the pores), scrubbing it off those areas, then washing with very cold water to close your pores back up. Hated working with that stuff.

Good luck,
Patrick
QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:08:49 »
and what does the fabric heatshrink look like??  im curious :p

Like this:

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:11:19 »
YOUR Health always comes FIRST here on this Forum.

Do not risk it, because at your young age you think you can easily dodge a bullet when you start conducting unsafe work practices.

Losing your health is the last thing you want in life.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:14:00 by Elrick »

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:14:12 »
Thanks for your concern guys, I appreciate it!

As promised: (I hope to have updated pictures with labels in the OP by this weekend)

Aramid sample
Two Different Stainless Steels

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:23:47 »

As promised: (I hope to have updated pictures with labels in the OP by this weekend)

Damn, I'll swap over to the Stainless Steel.  Far safer for you.  Let me know of the Extra cost.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:34:19 »
By any chance do you think is possible to use in your pictures some sort of reference code in order be use in further orders?
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:43:39 »
By any chance do you think is possible to use in your pictures some sort of reference code in order be use in further orders?

Yes! I will have them up by Sunday night at the latest.

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 23:43:46 »

+1 this would be awesome

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:03:47 »

Yes! I will have them up by Sunday night at the latest.
Thank you, it will help to speed up the order process :-) . Since I do not know nothing about cables what is the difference between the carbon fiber and the other cables? Is it pure durability?
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:05:48 by cactux »

Offline balanar

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:06:56 »
Damn I want one in stainless steel! I like the fabric heatshrink as well but will it come off easily? The bottom of it looks like it might fray.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:16:14 »
^^I noticed this as well. After the fabric is heatshrinked onto the cable, it get's harder. I picked at the ends for a few minutes and they haven't frayed yet.  However, I personally don't like how it doesn't get a good seal around the cable.  I might have to discontinue this option.

Edit: It won't fall off. It's on there pretty well.

Offline balanar

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:19:47 »
^^I noticed this as well. After the fabric is heatshrinked onto the cable, it get's harder. I picked at the ends for a few minutes and they haven't frayed yet.  However, I personally don't like how it doesn't get a good seal around the cable.  I might have to discontinue this option.

Edit: It won't fall off. It's on there pretty well.

Aww man don't discontinue it. I like how stealthy it looks. Totally reminds me of this:

Lol.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:21:56 »
HAHAHA!! Alright, I'll keep the option for those who want it.

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:27:58 »
made my night right there :D

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:29:51 »
Could you give us a short description of the differentes between these and which one is the best one as far as durability :
 1) Carbon Fiber
 2) Kevlar
 3) Aramid Armor

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:34:54 »
Could you give us a short description of the differentes between these and which one is the best one as far as durability :
 1) Carbon Fiber
 2) Kevlar
 3) Aramid Armor

but they only come in crappy yellow :(   
at least Kevlar and Aramid Armor :p

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:35:07 »
 1) Carbon Fiber
 2) Kevlar
 3) Aramid Armor

1) Carbon Fiber: Feels like a shoe lace, thin, light, strong, but frays.

2) Kevlar: Comes in yellow only. Also feels like a shoe lace, thin, light, strong, doesn't fray.

3) Aramid Armor: Comes in yellow only. Beast mode. Doesn't fray, fabric based, and feels almost a little rubbery.

Aramid will be the most durable. Both aramid and kevlar are great options. I need to do a little more playing with carbon fiber...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:39:11 »
As of right now, I can't take anymore orders for carbon fiber sleeving. I'm sorry! See below.

===============
**Update just for those who chose carbon fiber sleeving (I'll send out PM's as well):
So, my original carbon fiber test cable was only about 1 ft long and seemed to work out well. On the first 6ft carbon fiber cable I just tried, I ran into a few issues. First, I need to pick up some sort of painters mask (probably tomorrow sometime) because there are tons of tiny fibers that fly off (and I feel like I have cotton throat).  Apparently breathing in carbon fiber isn't good for you.
===============

This is what freaked me out, you now have constriction within your airways. Meaning your lungs are probably partly damaged as the fibers have now embedded itself deep inside you.

You'll find now that running up those flight of stairs a tad more difficult and you will be gasping for air like a 60 year old who smoked all his life.

Maybe we are at fault here because those of us who have worked with Fiberglass know what precautions to take when working with any type of material that has 'industrial-based' fibers in it.

I forgot what it was like when I was teenager thinking that I could even work with asbestos and it won't hurt me.  Years later you find out the truth.

Being here on this forum you want others here to appreciate your skills and competency but only a select few know what the threats are when it comes to dealing with certain materials.  Maybe because you're young you want to impress everyone here, I was once young and impressing others meant a lot to my ego and pride.

Forgo the pride because the older you get the more precious life becomes and it starts running out fast.  If you lose your health just to please some strangers here on Geekhack then you've lost a whole lot more.

I am truly sorry for ever selecting Carbon Fiber........ (who would think that someone would sell to the public untreated carbon fiber, as a cable sleeve?)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:56:00 by Elrick »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
MM Custom Sleeved Cables - Coming Soon
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:46:17 »
^ +1 your health is more precious than any kind of cable
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 October 2012, 00:48:33 by cactux »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:07:17 »
Im interested in 2 aramid armour cables for my phantoms (other wise possibly stainless steel depending on how durable it is) thing is im using a plu case and will have to come up with some sort of gromet system so it doesnt yank on the teensy anyone have any ideas?

Also could you do filco cables if their sent to you?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:07:46 »
Way too much time on my hand, here's the reference picture I sent with my order

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: MM Custom Sleeved Cables - Coming Soon
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:08:02 »
^ +1 your health is more precious than any kind of cable
agreed sounds kinds of crazy how you got it that way.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:46:17 »
Just wanted to say thank you to those who have purchased a cable! This is very exciting and hope you will be excited as well when you receive your custom sleeved cable!

I wouldn't have been able to offer you these cables without geekhack.  100% of the money made from the next sold cable will go to geekhack!

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
George

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 01:49:03 »
I will say I thought about doing this myself, but for one or two cables, it just seemed more sensible to let you do it.  But don't let that sound like I'm begrudging or anything, I'm extremely happy with my choice especially after our brief interactions earlier tonight.

A shame about that denim though, it was nice.

EDIT: Oh and buy one of my keyboards.  I got a ducky and don't need the race and QFR anymore.

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 02:39:49 »

Aramid sample

Show Image

Will those stainless steel ones be flat? or will they be round as well?
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
MM Custom Sleeved Cables - Coming Soon
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 02:42:35 »
^they will be round once a cable is in there. I'll take a picture tomorrow for you ya?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 08:03:21 »
So just got up and caught up on this thread.. YEEEk!!!>?!?  that is RAW carbon fiber, wtf?  Stay away, get rid of it, keep away from pets and children...

Keep an eye on your health over the next few weeks, I've inhaled fiberglass and ended up taking 6 months to clear my sinuses.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 08:32:36 »
holy ****!

ballsy dudes

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 12:02:49 »
^they will be round once a cable is in there. I'll take a picture tomorrow for you ya?

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:07:01 »
ah, darn, was hoping for some flat wired ones. oh well, will probably order some other colors from you though anyways. Can't wait to see the color legend so that I don't accidentally get the wrong colors!

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:10:08 »
ah, darn, was hoping for some flat wired ones. oh well, will probably order some other colors from you though anyways. Can't wait to see the color legend so that I don't accidentally get the wrong colors!

Hey, if you want it flat. I'll MAKE it flat :)  I should have all of the samples labeled by the end of the weekend!

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:17:17 »

Hey, if you want it flat. I'll MAKE it flat :)  I should have all of the samples labeled by the end of the weekend!

so you can make flat cables as well?! if you can make something similar to then you sir, have an order from me like...yesterday!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:19:05 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:51:22 by esoomenona »

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 14:28:16 »
MM, pm me with the price difference between Carbon Fiber and Stainless Steel. It looks nicer anyway, and is safer.