Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399066 times)

Offline graefeln

Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1200 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 17:57:56 »

Speaking of Goose Island, have you had their regular Coffee Stout? It's about the only coffee stout I can find here locally that I haven't tried, so it looks like it's next in the queue.

I don't know about a regular coffee stout, but I know they make a coffee ale: Fulton St. Blend. It's not bad actually.

Offline drewba

« Reply #1201 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 18:30:25 »

Speaking of Goose Island, have you had their regular Coffee Stout? It's about the only coffee stout I can find here locally that I haven't tried, so it looks like it's next in the queue.

I don't know about a regular coffee stout, but I know they make a coffee ale: Fulton St. Blend. It's not bad actually.
Oh okay that one. A blonde ale with coffee sounds interesting but I thought the flavors were a bit too contrasting

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1202 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 19:03:31 »

Oh okay that one. A blonde ale with coffee sounds interesting but I thought the flavors were a bit too contrasting

Yes! That's the one. Ahh, what a disappointment. I'm calling a craft beer store Monday to see if they have Bourbon County Coffee. I can only hope I'm as lucky as to pick it up.

Where do you trade brews?

EDIT: I have checked out the subreddits dedicated for it. I am signing up for beeradvocate now. Found a guy with some Bourbon County Coffee up for trade, we'll see how it goes!
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 December 2015, 10:39:47 by THSdrummer »

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline drewba

« Reply #1203 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:49:29 »

EDIT: I have checked out the subreddits dedicated for it. I am signing up for beeradvocate now. Found a guy with some Bourbon County Coffee up for trade, we'll see how it goes!

Beeradvocate, Ratebeer, Talkbeer, /r/beertrade

Just be careful: check trade references/feedback, be very clear what the trade is for, set timelines, etc. I got a whopping zero bottles of bourbon county coffee otherwise I'd send you one. This beer is the equivolent of a Brobot V2 so you should expect to pay a premium

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1204 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:10:08 »
Went to Founders Brewery last night and had their Backwoods Bastard and reDANKulous.  Wife had to drive home since I rarely drink anymore, but maybe I can wrangle some pictures from her.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline drewba

« Reply #1205 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:34:14 »
Went to Founders Brewery last night and had their Backwoods Bastard and reDANKulous.  Wife had to drive home since I rarely drink anymore, but maybe I can wrangle some pictures from her.

Nice! Founders is the best, I need to plan a trip up there.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1206 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 16:36:52 »
Drinking buddy picked this up for me. First time tasting from this brewer.

Sorry for the manky glass, already had my mouth around it...  ;D

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1207 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 17:30:56 »

Beeradvocate, Ratebeer, Talkbeer, /r/beertrade

Just be careful: check trade references/feedback, be very clear what the trade is for, set timelines, etc. I got a whopping zero bottles of bourbon county coffee otherwise I'd send you one. This beer is the equivolent of a Brobot V2 so you should expect to pay a premium

Dang. That really puts it into perspective. The guy just said he wanted to hold onto his two bottles of it. Hopefully I'll be getting some other coffee brews! Appreciate that you'd send me one if you had anymore. I'll get it someday :)

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1208 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:53:03 »
Got into some pretty cool stuff last night. Vera Mae from Hill Farmstead and The Hart from Holy Mountain standing out. also cracked a 2013 Darklord which was almost undrinkable it was so sweet.

This beer is the equivolent of a Brobot V2 so you should expect to pay a premium

Really? We can get than even in California since Goose Island got bought and they ramped up production. I didn't think there was such a premium on it anymore.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1209 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:00:19 »
Someone convince me not to buy this...

www.synek.beer

I went to the Funky Buddha Brewery in FT Luaderdale over the thanksgiving weekend and saw this thing in action...

I love the fact that I can go get my favorite American IPA from my local breweries and have it on draft for a month in my kitchen.....

I need to convince the Miss that this will be cheaper then me buying packaged beer...

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1210 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:27:11 »
Got into some pretty cool stuff last night. Vera Mae from Hill Farmstead and The Hart from Holy Mountain standing out. also cracked a 2013 Darklord which was almost undrinkable it was so sweet.

This beer is the equivolent of a Brobot V2 so you should expect to pay a premium

Really? We can get than even in California since Goose Island got bought and they ramped up production. I didn't think there was such a premium on it anymore.

Interesting. It still seems that people are holding onto it. Was it sold by 12 oz bottles? I called Craft Beer Cellar in Columbia, MO and they said it didn't make it to MO this year. Bummer.

I'm a-okay with more production, I just hope it stays consistent with it's taste/ratings as before. It has a perfect 100 score on BA.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1211 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:28:28 »
It's a Keurig for beer.  Bound to end up overpriced and ridiculous since you have to buy one use cartridges that will likely have DRM.  Just get a growler tap/growler keeper for less.  It does the same basic thing.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1212 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:30:59 »
It's a Keurig for beer.  Bound to end up overpriced and ridiculous since you have to buy one use cartridges that skull likely have DRM.  Just get a growler tap/growler keeper for less.  It does the same basic thing.

Growlers lasts like a week though =(

Only reason I really like this is that since the beer never touches oxygen (From keg to pouch)  the beer lasts waaay longer.

Means no more wasted growlers and less fill-ups

Offline drewba

« Reply #1213 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:52:13 »

I was speaking specifically to Bourbon County coffee (& variants), not the regular bourbon county. At least in Illinois, the bottle limits on variants is absurd because there is such a large turnout of people. To get multiple bottles you either had to stand in line, be on a first-name with a stores beer guy or get really lucky at a bottle shop that didn't know what they had. Most of my buddies that made an (all day) effort to get the coffee ended up with 1 or 3 bottles. Binny's (Bevmo equivolent, I think) receives the lions share of bourbon county and they follow GI's black friday bottle allotment guidelines but I have no idea if that's happening in other states. I've heard of people in other states walking away with a case of variants but I'd be surprised if that was the norm. Either way bourbon county variants are still commanding a premium - you're not going to be able to trade shelf beer for it.

I drank a '13 Dark Lord over the weekend and totally agree with you, that stuff is diabetic.

Offline iri

« Reply #1214 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:39:05 »
I swear, I tried a nice British lager at Brewdog yesterday

And I didn't even pay for it
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1215 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:09:00 »
I like trying beer with cherries - it's never my favorite, but it's always nice to have a couple and move on.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1216 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 16:10:30 »
I like trying beer with cherries - it's never my favorite, but it's always nice to have a couple and move on.

Show Image

That sounds awesome!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1217 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 17:01:26 »
Brought back come funky buddah from home.

119819-0

Sorry for all the pictures... I love my new camera..

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1218 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 11:38:51 »
My parents scored at a White Elephant this weekend. The Boulevard Triology was what they won, and someone from Springfield gave my dad the Winter Grind. I haven't tried either of the whiskey barrel aged stouts by Boulevard, so I'm excited to do so! That and Winter Grind is my favorite daily drinker in winter. Winter break has started off good :D

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1219 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 14:34:48 »
Ok peeps. I need some Pliney the Elder. Willing to trade some Bros for a case!

Please...

Please

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1220 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 15:23:28 »

Please...

Please

Dude, there are so many better beers than Pliny.  HMU and I can get you some awesome local IPAs.  If I get lucky, I might be able to get you some Alpine.  My one bottle I have is heading out to someone, but there are a ton of awesome IPAs out there.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1221 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 15:34:57 »

Please...

Please

Dude, there are so many better beers than Pliny.  HMU and I can get you some awesome local IPAs.  If I get lucky, I might be able to get you some Alpine.  My one bottle I have is heading out to someone, but there are a ton of awesome IPAs out there.

I am a huge IPA head. I typically love American style. I just Pliney once and I remember loving it!

But if you can get a case of something awesome I would so be willing to trade.

Offline TheJonas

« Reply #1222 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 01:12:13 »
Finally found THE thread! I'm originally Belgian, and I saw we've got quite a few Belgian beer fans here. My favorite go to beer is Leffe; it's widely available and tastes great! When I'm drinking a bit slower or would prefer something more refreshing I'll have Duvel. I also enjoy some Westvleteren 12 occasionally, it's a bit sweeter but is great before bed! I'll be sure to post some pictures sometime.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1223 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:47:55 »
So buddy of mine is huge into home brew.

I have kind of descended into it my self....

He has this HUGE system that he built him self but has told me I should just save the headache and just buy a full grain system. Saves space and gets the job done more efficiently.

We have been looking at the grainfather.

Any of you have experience with all grain brew systems?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1224 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 13:45:45 »

Please...

Please

Can you get non-Green Flash Alpine? or maybe the Alesmith releases?

The Green Flash made Alpine is all over The Bay but it's not even close to the same beer AFAICT.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1225 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 14:36:47 »
I hauled in quite a few beers today. Mostly coffee stouts. I also managed to pick up a few of Boulevard's Crown Town Ale to celebrate The Royal's season! I finally got a snifter as well. :thumb:

Perhaps the most intriguing though, is a small, local liquor store gets in Bourbon County every year, albeit just one case of one variety. Our family knows each other fairly well. I imagine I'll be purchasing a lot more beer/bourbon from him in hopes of landing a bottle or two of Bourbon County next year. :p They even carry the bourbon I've been searching all over town for for months.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline tribade

« Reply #1226 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:47:10 »

Please...

Please

Haha, run out of the ones I gave you already?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1227 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:56:25 »

Please...

Please

Haha, run out of the ones I gave you already?

! there you are!!!!!!!

can you pm me your address please!

I want to sen dyou some goodies!

dont need anyhtig in return
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:58:29 by Bromono »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1228 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 16:07:58 »

:thumb:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1229 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:59:54 »

It's great to see BrewDog doing so well lately. They make a mighty fine drop. Almost as good as the best of the American micro-brews. Actually their Punk IPA is still my single favourite beer after trying a bunch of US IPAs on a recent trip across the ditch. They recently opened a new "branch" near my office, so... I guess I'm gonna have to open up an account.

Offline iri

« Reply #1230 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 05:07:10 »

It's great to see BrewDog doing so well lately
"Do you want our lager or the other one?"
"The other one, please"
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1231 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:07:23 »

It's great to see BrewDog doing so well lately. They make a mighty fine drop. Almost as good as the best of the American micro-brews. Actually their Punk IPA is still my single favourite beer after trying a bunch of US IPAs on a recent trip across the ditch. They recently opened a new "branch" near my office, so... I guess I'm gonna have to open up an account.

Being British I do have a soft spot for them. Before moving to Montreal I used to frequent their Newcastle bar quite a bit. Was nice to get in there on a quite weekday afternoon and chat with the ladies and gents working on the bar.

Good time from my last trip back to the UK:

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1232 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 17:32:05 »
This stuff is phenomenal.

121900-0

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1233 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:55:30 »

(Attachment Link)

It's what got me into IPAs, so it always holds a special place in my heart.  Most Avery stuff is solid.  Same with Drake's.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1234 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:58:43 »

(Attachment Link)

That your cat bro?  I like your cat bro.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1235 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 16:45:13 »
Picked up a growler of River Horse Oatmeal Stout and a sixer of Firestone, as a recommendation from the manager.

This River Horse is delicious.

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:38:19 by Lurch »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1236 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:21:02 »
Gonna see if a Prairie Bomb! with a year on it is better than fresh stuff...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #1237 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:24:27 »
I'm down for just about anything from Half Acre. Got a chance to try their Double Daisy just recently. So good!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1238 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:26:17 »
Picked up a growler of River Horse Oatmeal Stout and a sixer of Firestone, as a recommendation from the manager.

Show Image

good stuffs

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1239 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 17:28:38 »

Show Image

That's whats up DJ Lurchie, anything Firestone is great stuff. I visited the brewery last year near SLO, the Union Jack is really good too.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1240 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:47:08 »
I'm up in Victoria right now and have a pretty good haul coming home with me!

I'm not even a big fan of barley wines but I really had to get this one. Especially while the Canadian dollar is weak:

Also, a question for you guys. I have to opportunity to pick up some ale apothecary at the local beer store while I'm here. It's stupidly expensive but I've heard really good things...thoughts?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1241 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:54:39 »

Show Image

good stuffs

Show Image

That's whats up DJ Lurchie, anything Firestone is great stuff. I visited the brewery last year near SLO, the Union Jack is really good too.

Good to hear! I don't think I have tried anything Firestone yet... any particular Firestone faves, digi-mon?

Killed that growler last night by myself.... ^-^

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1242 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:24:42 »
Good to hear! I don't think I have tried anything Firestone yet... any particular Firestone faves, digi-mon?

805 is great for a daytime sippy-session, as the evening rolls around and you're ready to turn up, Union Jack is my go to =D.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1243 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 18:57:00 »
Mango Weizen

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #1244 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:10:53 »
That sounds interesting. Is it supposed to be a hefeweizen? They are normally banana-ry, so the mango sounds like it could work.

Been on the Punk IPA a fair bit recently, as others have posted. Its a great IPA, good for session drinking

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1245 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:27:52 »
A delicious 6 pack of Alpine Hoppy Birthday and two awesome football games.  I don't think the day could be much better.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1246 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:29:28 »
A delicious 6 pack of Alpine Hoppy Birthday and two awesome football games.  I don't think the day could be much better.

Show Image

Oh man, that potato makes it look like a dank nug cake on the label  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1247 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:34:08 »

Show Image

Oh man, that potato makes it look like a dank nug cake on the label  :cool:

Well, they do look similar and hops can taste "dank".

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #1248 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:22:10 »
Bought various beer for new year celebrations, for example the one in the picture shown here. Drinking German beer in Austria is like drinking US beer in Canada? Huha. Well, I also bought some american beer, I think it was Sierra Nevada or something like that. I remember I drank that when I was on holiday in the states some years ago!

... ...

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1249 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:12:48 »
Ballast Point Sculpin is THE beer.