Author Topic: The Living Geekhack Logo Thread  (Read 81578 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
The Living Geekhack Logo Thread
« on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:04:39 »
This thread is dedicated to recreating, archiving and designing GeekHack logos. My primary interest is in vectorized examples of the artwork.
Why? Because vectorized artwork can be scaled up pretty much indefinitely without a loss in image quality; useful for future-proofing artwork.

There are two kinds of artwork files: bitmap and vector. A bitmap is what it sounds like: a series of bits (pixels) are arrayed so that a picture is created. Unfortunately, when trying to make the image larger, the bits (which are square) are usually just scaled up as well, leading to an effect called 'bitmapping' -- the edge of the enlarged graphic now has blocky edges.

Vector artwork, by comparison, does not store individual pixels, but represents the graphics as a series of mathematical equations, which allows you to resize and manipulate them without a loss of quality.

This is going to be useful to people who want to make new kinds of GH-themed stuff: shirts, mugs, mousepads, whatever. Even if the artwork is not in the proper layout, just being able to supply a manufacturer with vectorized artwork allows the manufacturer to make modifications. Supplying them with a low-res (or even a high-res) image that they cannot manipulate is usually a waste of time.

Hopefully, this thread will be a place for people to post new designs, or find new designs.

Any logos found here in the thread, are free to use by GH members in good standing, but we ask that you post a photo of your customized item. please, or you will be punished in some sinister way.  :D

The artwork files can be found in my signature file, and in the wiki.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 14:59:28 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: GeekHack Logo
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:09:35 »
mmb/bro caps for the new logo
aggiejy for the nostalgia logo
hashbaz for the wiki logo

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:12:28 »
Shaddoved has a copy as well :D Rendered.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:13:12 »
Shaddoved has a copy as well :D Rendered.

Only the nostalgia one ;D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:14:01 »
I'm looking for the Nostalgia logo, with the tagline, in as high a resolution as, say, 300dpi, if possible? I will PM aggie.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:17:24 »
PM sent to aggiejy, thanks everyone.
More

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:37:46 »
What cha makin;?  :)

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: GeekHack Logo
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 09:48:48 »
What cha makin;?  :)

Got me wondering also!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:19:29 »
I've got a new machine at work, figured it would need some testing, so I was hoping to make up a banner for GeekHack. Nothing huge, just a table drape, something to be used at meetups perhaps. Maybe we should have a design contest?

Here's the specs --

Dimensions would be 72"x72", with the GeekHack logo occupying the bottom 30"x72" zone of the square. Every table has a minimum clearance of 30" in height. They may be higher, but they're never lower, as the average human's knees would scrape against the bottom of the table. That leaves 42" inches of extra material to drape across the top of the table and the back side.

Or maybe I'll just do a 30"x72" and it can be attached to the edge of the table with table clips.

Anyway, someone put together a 30"x72" design at between 150 to 300 dpi (if it's got a lot of bitmaps). Vectorized artwork is best.

Or, just email the logo you've got and I'll put something together myself! It won't likely be done until next week, when I'm fine-tuning the machine. It's a dye-sublimation process that allows me to put photographic images directly to fabric. It's very similar to the dye-sublimation process used for keycaps, except it's used for fabric. It's the same principle, though - a special ink goes directly from a solid into a gas, skipping the liquid phase.
More

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 10:41:51 »
Wow. I can't wait to see this thing  :eek:

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:56:12 »
I'm open to suggestion and ideas!
More

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
GeekHack Logo
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 12:03:17 »
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but are you asking for a new geekhack logo or just a new implementation of the current logo?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 13:20:00 »

The second...

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but are you asking for a new geekhack logo or just a new implementation of the current logo?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 13:39:03 »
woah! this is cool!!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:36:15 »
Ok, I've just thrown together some GH logos on different retro-ish typewriter fonts, tell me which ones you like:

17898-0

I kinda like the Cooper font (upper left -- it feels sort of retro). I think I found the font that aggie used to make the Nostalgia theme, so I can go with those straight letters, or I was thinking of finding a nice shot of a spherical key, and put them on those. The round keys (upper rightish area) are also cool, not sure if I love them though.

Anyway, feedback from admins and users would be very welcome. I put them all against an orange backdrop for now, but that could change.

Or, we just put the Hapster key in the middle and type 'geekhack' in Arial Narrow underneath, LOL!
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:40:42 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:39:02 »
Nice! I like them all, but really like the four on the top left and the one on the bottom right :)

Edit - Actually, the bottom right one is fine the way it is, but I'd prefer a capital H over a lower case h for the others.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:43:32 by Jocelyn »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:39:38 »
I like bottom right and bottom left :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:41:30 »
I like bottom right and bottom left :D

I wasn't sure if people would want a Dodgers-themed logo. Maybe I can just put the one we settle on in the middle, and fade the others above and below?
More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:46:48 »
My surname's cooper, so Ill vouch for that :D But i do like bottom left with the underlining :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:55:55 »
My surname's cooper, so Ill vouch for that :D But i do like bottom left with the underlining :D

Lowercase or uppercase? I think I like lowercase better, for almost all of the fonts.
More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 14:57:52 »
Upper Case, looks like something I would have on my jeans :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:05:37 »
Ok, here's what I was able to work up over the weekend, with great help from aggie:

First style, simple jet black background with the the Nostalgia logo (I took some liberties with the logo by making the text orange, I thought it needed some more color)

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:08:05 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:08:42 »
Second style, with the keycap image tiled out over the background.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:10:09 »
There's still some bitmapping on the keycaps when they're at full size, but they still would look good at a nice viewing image. Which layout do you think you guys would like better? Edits?
More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:48:51 »
can you fade the keys that don't have text on them?

Offline Paddywagon

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:56:04 »
So whatever happened to the logos clickclack had? Did they get lost when gh went down or did they just not catch on? IIRC some were really cool! There were even keys based on some of them.
Spreading the Clack since 2009

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:27:54 »
not aware of these logos. does anyone still have assets or a link?

Offline Paddywagon

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:22:49 »
That's weird, I wasn't expecting you to respond with that at all. I thought you would dig them back up or say that they got canned. I guess these were really old, older than I remember. Maybe I can locate something in an old email or find the Flicker link that someone posted long ago.
Spreading the Clack since 2009

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 01:35:01 »
Like this logo Paddy?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 04:25:26 »
Like this logo Paddy?
Show Image

Mkawa -- I will try to fade out the other keys; I think I should be able to do it. Smallfry, where did you get that image? Did you make it yourself? If so, outstanding -- what format do you have it in, I want it. I think that would be even better on a banner. If you did not make the image, who did?  I'm not actually a designer myself, just an amateur, really.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2013, 04:28:02 by Krogenar »
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 11:15:59 »
Tis the old logo from 2010 or so, grabbed it from the Wayback Machine and rehosted to imgur.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:18:03 »
Tis the old logo from 2010 or so, grabbed it from the Wayback Machine and rehosted to imgur.

It's awesome and would probably look great ... if it were high-res. Anyone have any clue on who made it? Or for that matter, is there anyone in our community who is actually a graphic designer? If not, we'll go with what we have.
More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:26:58 »
Batmann does some stuff, GFX-wise for boost I believe, or Mkawa I forget.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 12:50:01 »
Ask iMav, I think his email is iMav(AT)geekhack(DOT)org.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:20:50 »

How's this.

More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 00:30:25 »
MORE ***** MORE

actually that may be ok

MORE

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 09:40:45 »

How's this.
Can I get a full-size image of that via PM or summat? I really like that one.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:00:03 »

How's this.
Can I get a full-size image of that via PM or summat? I really like that one.

Sure, PM me with your email. What kind of format do you need? I can give you an EPS file, an Illustrator file (CS2, shut up, it's free) or a JPG. Give me an idea of the size you need (pixels or inches).
More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:01:11 »
Everything's free on the internet :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:19:04 »
Everything's free on the internet :D

No, I meant it's actually free. Well, ok, no, it's not free. I just have such outdated software that their registration servers are down, and not going back up. So Adobe put up a page for people who have CS2, so they can still install their old software. But seeing as how just about anyone can download and install it, it's basically free.

Pirates should be keelhauled.  :D
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 16:39:30 »
A new possible table banner layout:

More

Offline Leewei

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:24:47 »
Hey Krogenar, I really like that geekhack logo^. What kind of software did you use to generate it? I am trying to make a logo myself for a class but am not sure where to start. Anyways, any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Filco Majestouch 2 Beige TKL with MX Reds
Qsenn dt-35

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 00:47:41 »
Too lazy to Photoshop right now, but I would love to see one spelled out on steel typewriter heads like this
19089-0

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 06:51:09 »
Hey Krogenar, I really like that geekhack logo^. What kind of software did you use to generate it? I am trying to make a logo myself for a class but am not sure where to start. Anyways, any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks! I'm a complete amateur, I'm sure something better could be accomplished by a professional. I used CS2 Illustrator for the vector art (allows for upscaling without bitmapping, with the exception of any placed bitmaps) and then used CS2 Photoshop to make a lower-res bitmap for posting. I think Adobe is on CS6 at this time, so the software is very much outdated, but the basics are there. CS2 has entered the end-of-life cycle, which is detailed here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html

I suggest you investigate that link and ponder the meaning carefully.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 06:51:36 »
Too lazy to Photoshop right now, but I would love to see one spelled out on steel typewriter heads like this
(Attachment Link)

Now that is a very cool idea. More retro than retro.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:09:28 »
Aggiejy got one of the banners!

http://j.youens.com/Ow5V

This is also a good example of using the plastic velcro clips on the edge of a table properly. It could use an ironing, but otherwise it looks good!  :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:12:53 by Krogenar »
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:12:36 »
Your picture is broken Krog! We need more beautiful pictures!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:13:04 »
Your picture is broken Krog! We need more beautiful pictures!

Fixed!
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:15:01 »
It's so purdy!!  ;D

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:16:27 »
Make a quilt sown together in a typical keyboard layout?