Author Topic: Windows Keyboard Remapping Software -- ATNSoft Key Manager  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Windows Keyboard Remapping Software -- ATNSoft Key Manager
« on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 17:27:25 »
As a mechanical keyboard enthusiast, I frequently change keyboards and keyboard layouts for testing or just for the sake of variety. When using my Mac, I rely on Karabiner remapping software, which enables me to create profiles for different keyboards and layouts. Karabiner is fairly intuitive, and keyboard profiles can be selected from a drop-down list in the menu bar with no need for rebooting or logging out.

Recently, I have needed to increase my use of Windows (7 and 8.1), and so I went in search of a Windows-based keyboard remapping program that was as intuitive and effective as Karabiner for the Mac.

Although I am not afraid of writing some code, I wanted to find a program with a friendly interface that I could use with minimal reliance on a manual. I also preferred a method that did not require editing the Windows Registry or logging out or rebooting to change keyboard profiles. Moreover, I did not want to be limited to simply remapping one key with another, but I wanted to be able to use modifiers such as Shift or Left Control in combination with other keys. Finally, I wanted to find a program that would enable me to remap a Fn key (if it sent a scan code to the computer) and/or create a Fn key if one did not already exist on the keyboard by remapping a key such as Menu or Right Control as Fn.

During my search, I tried AutoHotKey (AHK), HotKeyControl, KeyManager, KeyMapper, KeyRemapper, KeyTweak, Keyboard Layout Manager 2000 (KLM2000), Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC), and SharpKeys before finally discovering ATNSoft Key Manager.

AutoHotKey (AHK) is extremely well known in the Windows community and is arguably the most powerful keyboard remapping software available. However, AHK has a bit of a learning curve, and although there is an active user’s forum and other sources of help on the web, I wanted something more intuitive.

Other programs I tried did not meet my criteria for various reasons. Some were merely graphical front-ends for a Registry Editor and/or they seemed difficult to use and/or they lacked the ability to remap or create a Fn key.

Finally, I stumbled upon ATNSoft, which produces several software products. I found this company because of their program, Key Remapper, which looked promising, but it lacked some of the features I was seeking. Then I noticed their premium product, Key Manager. This had all the features I had been looking for. It was intuitive and easy to use, it could store multiple profiles that could be switched without logging our or rebooting, and it enabled creation of a Fn key.

Within minutes, I was able to create a profile for my KBP V60 keyboard that enabled me to emulate a HHKB/Mac layout. The program is just as powerful as Karabiner for the Mac, and it is actually even easier to use. Customer service is excellent. I had some questions, and tech support got back to me the next day with answers that enabled me to improve my remapping profile.

As they say, you get what you pay for. Key Manager is an excellent program that satisfied all of my criteria, and it is not free – it costs $49.95 for a home license for a single computer. However, the company offers some options for getting their software for free, including TrialPay and licenses in exchange for articles, blogs, or videos promoting ATNSoft products.

Despite the free software options, I found Key Manager so useful that I went ahead and paid for a license. I consider this money well spent, and I can highly recommend ATNSoft Key Manager for anyone who is looking for a keyboard remapping program for Windows that is full-featured and easy to use.

Key Manager does much more than I have described, including remapping mouse button sequences and long presses (press and hold). Details can be found on the ATNSoft web site:

http://atnsoft.com/

Offline UKKeycaps

• * Vendor
  • UKKeycaps.co.uk / MechSupply.co.uk
    • UKKeycaps
Re: Windows Keyboard Remapping Software -- ATNSoft Key Manager
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 10:05:37 »
I was at first put off by AHK as well, it seemed overly complicated for what it is. So I used ATNSoft Key Manager for a while as well.

I agree that it really is very easy to use, very user friendly. However my issue with the software was sometimes it would not register the correct input. For example if I remapped the right control on my Poker X to the Right arrow key, it would work 90% of the time, but sometimes the key press would register as right control instead of right arrow.

That's when I decided to go back and try AHK again, the guides on the wiki are a bit of a mess and it's a lot of info for beginners so I just googled around until I found a beginners guide that was written for true noobs and I finally understood it. Once you get your head around it AHK isn't too bad unless you're making complex scripts. I have made ones myself which make Left control + Left alt + 4 give an £ output. Pretty useful since I'm a Brit using ANSI. Also I made Alt+4 = Alt + F4. This is pretty much the only function key I use on a regular basis.

Anyway, ATNSoft is great and all, but I'd really recommend investing a small amount of time to learn the basics of AHK.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 21:35:23 »
I absolutely love using AHK. I've pretty much got the left half of my board mapped for navigation so that I don't have to move my fingers far from home row. If you have any questions about it, their wiki is a pretty good source of knowledge, also feel free to ask me any questions.

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 13:21:57 »
@Hypersphere

I thought You were quite biased with your praise for ATNSOFT. Until I gave it a try. This program is gold. Thank you so much for recommending it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 February 2018, 13:27:15 by Chemoletter »

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 21:33:57 »
The pains of registry editing (via sharpkey, and keytweak) is what inspired me to design my own programmable. Had I know about this I would have saved a lot of effort!