Author Topic: KeypressGraphics.com, keycap art for mech keyboards.  (Read 106289 times)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: KeypressGraphics.com, keycap art for mech keyboards.
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 11:10:00 »
Man, whoever Jose is seems to like these auctions, he has won all of them so far.

He win that Lion Keyng, too?

The Keyng, Skullthulu, and the Legion.

Holy mole.

Yep, quick $500+ without even including shipping.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 18:03:02 »
Man, whoever Jose is seems to like these auctions, he has won all of them so far.
Waateva, I'll reproduce here what I wrote in my most recent r/mk post since its relevant to this discussion.

Jose has been a great supporter of my work. I respect the anonymity of my customers, but if he chooses to come forward and talk about his purchases or his keycap collection of course he's welcome to do so.

I've been running auctions for several reasons. They generate interest and give people a reason to visit my site, they help with the dilemma of knowing what to set prices at -particularly with handmade artisans as I don't collect them and have little idea what the going rate is- and auctions also allow me to justify pouring more hours into a single keycap.

Auctions aren't perfect. As an artist I'd like to see my work reach as many hands as possible, but when I'm devoting so many hours to each keycap it can be frustrating to sell them for very little. Its very true that auctions may end up rewarding the richest buyers, yet fixed-priced sales can reward whoever clicks the Buy button fastest or happens to be online at a particular time.

I don't think either solution is perfect and in future plan on adopting a mix of fixed-prices, auctions, and lotteries which I don't yet have the tech to implement. That said feedback on the way things are being handled is always most welcome and I'll give it careful consideration.
May all your key presses strike true.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 18:10:34 »
Waateva, I'll reproduce here what I wrote in my most recent r/mk post since its relevant to this discussion.

Jose has been a great supporter of my work. I respect the anonymity of my customers, but if he chooses to come forward and talk about his purchases or his keycap collection of course he's welcome to do so.

I've been running auctions for several reasons. They generate interest and give people a reason to visit my site, they help with the dilemma of knowing what to set prices at -particularly with handmade artisans as I don't collect them and have little idea what the going rate is- and auctions also allow me to justify pouring more hours into a single keycap.

Auctions aren't perfect. As an artist I'd like to see my work reach as many hands as possible, but when I'm devoting so many hours to each keycap it can be frustrating to sell them for very little. Its very true that auctions may end up rewarding the richest buyers, yet fixed-priced sales can reward whoever clicks the Buy button fastest or happens to be online at a particular time.

I don't think either solution is perfect and in future plan on adopting a mix of fixed-prices, auctions, and lotteries which I don't yet have the tech to implement. That said feedback on the way things are being handled is always most welcome and I'll give it careful consideration.

Oh, I don't think we have any quibbles with the way you're running things. I think what you're doing is perfect for these one-offs.
I think we're just shocked that all three of the last ones were bought buy one dude. The total is a kustom and then some!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 21:30:14 »

Oh, I don't think we have any quibbles with the way you're running things. I think what you're doing is perfect for these one-offs.
I think we're just shocked that all three of the last ones were bought buy one dude. The total is a kustom and then some!

+1

I love seeing these unique caps come up and it's pretty cool that Jose is supporting your work like this while collecting some really kickass caps :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 00:37:23 »
Just letting everyone know I have a $2 lottery going for this Ork Trooper.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 00:41:30 »
Just letting everyone know I have a $2 lottery going for this Ork Trooper.

Show Image

$2 to enter?

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 04:30:24 »
And it's over

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 06:12:38 »
yeah it ended pretty quick. there goes my 10 tickets. I hope he does more of these. but, just to do a raffle instead of a lottery.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 07:14:37 »
yeah it ended pretty quick. there goes my 10 tickets. I hope he does more of these. but, just to do a raffle instead of a lottery.

Do you know how much it'll be for a raffle? So far these have sold in the couple of hundred. Lottery is the best way, I think.

Plus, raffle and lottery are the same thing; but you just pay for the tickets in the end if you win.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 07:16:32 by romevi »

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 07:57:33 »

Do you know how much it'll be for a raffle? So far these have sold in the couple of hundred. Lottery is the best way, I think.

Plus, raffle and lottery are the same thing; but you just pay for the tickets in the end if you win.
I think people's main gripe is paying for something but not winning anything. It's one thing to enter a raffle for free, and a completely different animal to pay and get nothing.

IIRC, Binge did something like this except you were buying stickers for more "tickets". Same concept, but you got some kick ass stickers out of it instead of watching your money go into the void if you didn't win.

Offline cozmonort

• Coz Caps
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:11:00 »
Loved your Binge Orc man, awesome paint job.

Actually really enjoyed the take on the raffle too, would of been super stoked to win a Binge for 10 bucks :)

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 05:37:00 »
Thanks for the feedback everyone and commiserations if you weren't lucky this time around. The sticker idea is a really good one, definitely something worth organizing in future.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:05:26 »
Another Lottery is starting, this one for Bigecap's awesome Slow-Fi.
http://keypressgraphics.com/product/slow-fi/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:10:19 »

Show Image

Nice improvement to the rules  ;)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 06:16:19 »
so, does this mean there is no limit to the tickets now? it is not limited to 100 I mean?

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:35:13 »
Entered. I have had zero luck with any of your sales, but the lottery style is a good choice and the changes are great. I just wish there was more of each cap. That keybuto one for sure is just stunning and is, by far, my fav so far.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:54:16 »

Show Image

Entered for that sexy little sloth :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 09:23:26 »

Show Image

I never knew his eyes had exotropia! Entered!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:14:55 »
I've never been so happy to collaborate with another artist, ever xD  These results man, these results!
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 19:47:08 »
beehatch & xiro7- Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the changes! I'm still very much tweaking things and trying my best to keep everyone happy, unfortunately no system will be perfect as there will always be an overwhelming number of people who miss out due to the time it takes me to paint each keycap and my limited supply of them. Churning them out faster would mean taking shortcuts & sacrificing quality, which is not the way I like to work.

whaateva & romevi - best of luck guys!

audax989 - This particular lottery will end at 00:00 regardless of the number of tickets sold. If there is a ticket limit it will be visible on the lottery page.

Binge - Thank you so much for that incredible vote of confidence and for supplying me with your awesome keycaps! Each Bingecap has so much character that the color schemes pretty much suggest themselves to me. Like all of us I can't wait to see which new designs you come out with next. :)

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 22:52:06 »
I'm getting this error. I have not purchased any tickets yet. Regardless, of what number I put for the amount of tickets 1-5 I get this. It would not let me purchase any. :(

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 00:29:53 »
audax989 I'm not sure what could be causing that but suggest you try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser, and/or logging out of your wordpress account then back in.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 01:19:52 »
audax989 I'm not sure what could be causing that but suggest you try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser, and/or logging out of your wordpress account then back in.

I tried it on my phone and my coworkers laptop same error. I might have broken something. It's weird this didn't happen on the orc lottery 

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 10:31:00 »
audax989 other users have had issues but they've been solved by logging in and out of their account. I'm not sure what else I can suggest for you unfortunately.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 16:47:43 »
audax989 other users have had issues but they've been solved by logging in and out of their account. I'm not sure what else I can suggest for you unfortunately.

Just tried that even clearing cache and cookies. still the same :( I think something happened when I first added a ticket but didn't checkout. I'll just join the next lottery I guess.

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 22:54:30 »
No worries audax989. Sorry you couldn't get it to work, I'm still scratching my head as to why.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 08:55:30 »
Dongerdays takes it!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 09:03:50 »
Rats! Congrats!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 21:23:11 »
It's funny how I didn't even enter any yet get 10 emails from keypress graphics that I lost. Lol. I surely must've broken something.

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 13:07:53 »
It's funny how I didn't even enter any yet get 10 emails from keypress graphics that I lost. Lol. I surely must've broken something.
Sorry about that audax989. The software must trigger the 'send this person email after the lottery' flag when a ticket is added to their cart, even if added unsuccessfully. Very odd.

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 03:18:37 »
Another artisan auction, this time for an RWarrior:  http://keypressgraphics.com/product/bw-rwarrior/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 22:01:04 »
Another Keybuto auction is up and running!  http://keypressgraphics.com/product/1980s-keybuto/

Also just a quick note, the website's mail server has been having issues recently so if you tried getting in touch during the past week or two and haven't received a reply I apologize for that, please re-send your message if it isn't too much trouble. I'm always contactable here and at Reddit/mechanicalkeyboards (under the same username) if email fails to elicit a reply. Sorry again and thanks for understanding!

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:19:44 »
Another Keybuto auction is up and running!  http://keypressgraphics.com/product/1980s-keybuto/

Show Image

Literally cannot believe I won this. On the first day of the auction I saw that other similar caps were going for $300 and I went 'Guess I'll just go in for $100'. Spent the last day convinced someone was going to snipe the auction at the last second. After I won I spent a few seconds convinced someone had and the page didn't refresh properly on my end. Super psyched to dress my keyboard up in hands-down the most beautiful keybuto I've ever seen!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:21:19 »
Wow! Can't believe it didn't go higher. It's a beautiful cap. Congrats on the great score!

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:47:41 »
Wow! Can't believe it didn't go higher. It's a beautiful cap. Congrats on the great score!

I don't really get into artisans- but that one is a real work of art!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:09:43 »

Yeah, I just checked it out too this morning. Lucky guy, the last keybuto went to 300

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 02:23:34 »
Congratulations on winning the auction clappingcactus, I will post your new Keybuto out to you tomorrow! Thank you for supporting my work. :)

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 02:05:07 »
Hey guys, I have another of Suited Up's awesome keycaps for sale! Best of luck to all auction bidders. :)

http://keypressgraphics.com/product/legion-of-the-damned/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 20:18:59 »
So my key got here. You asked me for my opinions: It's stunningly painted. I'm a freelance graphics designer and I like that you clearly ascribe to the aesthetic of 'put in more detail than will ever be noticed' in the pursuit of perfection. The shading, the glossing, the switching from discrete shades of blue on the eye shield to give the image of plated armor to gradient blues on the neck line to give the impression of wear - it's all meticulously put together. I'm definitely ordering some customs from you soon. Do you require the base keycap to be white, or are there any other limitations?

I'm staying out of your current auction so that as many people as possible enjoy your creations. Your craft is wonderful. :)

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 00:49:20 »
That's awesome to hear you like it clappingcactus! :)

I've been interested in graphic design for many years now myself so it means a lot to me that you like what I've done with it. Its true that the detail the brush infuses into these keycaps isn't always visible when they're photographed (though I'm trying to improve my photo setup to capture more of it) but that priceless "Wow!" first impression to the naked eye is what I really strive for.
Speaking of glossiness, I use both gloss & matt varnish these days and the final amount of gloss left on the model mostly comes down to personal preference; I like to keep a little on there as I find that shiny look alluring, but some people may prefer no gloss at all or ultra-reflective gloss overload.

By all means I can paint keycaps in pretty much any color or material, it doesn't affect the painting process much if at all. Metal, plastic, resin, 3D-printed or hand casted are all fine. I only avoid painting 3D-printed nylon caps because the surface is so rough and if you sand them down they lose most of their detail.

Thanks again for your kind comments and I hope your Keybuto keycap gives you tons of pleasure, it turned out different but in some ways better than I expected. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2016, 00:51:20 by KeypressGraphics »

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:54:14 »
Hi guys, I have another keycap up on my site if you're interested.
http://keypressgraphics.com/product/deathmaster/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 11:25:10 »
Hi guys, I have another keycap up on my site if you're interested.
http://keypressgraphics.com/product/deathmaster/

Show Image

That is one badass Warmaster!

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:30:47 »

:p
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 05:51:19 »
Those Keybuto and Warmaster both look great.  :thumb:
You did a really nice job with those. The attention to detail and the color smoothness are amazing!

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 17:10:40 »
Looking good juahenza!

Thanks for the kind words Vox_PT, I was especially chuffed with how the Warmaster turned out. :)

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 15:47:34 »
Hey guys, just letting you know there's another new keycap up on my site for sale. :)
http://keypressgraphics.com/product/duke/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 23:48:15 »
Another new keycap is up on my site guys!  http://keypressgraphics.com/product/bruce/

Also I have a mailing list now if you'd like to receive an email notification when I add a new keycap to the store. :)

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 17:12:48 »
Another new keycap is up on my store guys. :)
http://keypressgraphics.com/product/medusa/

Choc Mini         HHKB

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 17:29:27 »
That looks amazing! Great work!

Offline KeypressGraphics

• Dare to Dream
    • Keypress Graphics
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 17:41:15 »
Thank you Sneaky Potato. :)

Callofcandy's work is amazing although they are very challenging to paint because they have such incredible amounts of detail. This would have to be close to my favorite design of his so far.

Choc Mini         HHKB