Author Topic: Civ V/VI Discussion & Multiplayer Thread  (Read 51456 times)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Civ V Discussion & Multiplayer Thread
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:57:30 »
So I bought two copies of Brave New World as they're on sale right now, if anyone doesn't have it let me know and I'll gift it to you.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:15:55 »
I've got a game open :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:33:44 »
Off-topic but is anyone excited about civ6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 20:40:13 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but I'm keeping my excitement in check, Civ:BE taught me that :(

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 17:14:15 »
My friend is; I'm not sure. The last Civ I played was 2 and a bit of Alpha Centauri. I might get V on the sale if the most important DLCs also are discounted.

Offline Altis

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 20:17:38 »

I kind of am since it'll be a fresh start for me. I've wanted to get into Civ V but haven't had the time to climb the steep learning curve.

I'm hoping to take up Civ VI when it's released.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 20:19:59 »
If you guys want a game of civ and want coms, feel free to use the games rooms in the mumble, I have games with people in there outside of geekhack all the time. TBH I don't really care what you do in there or who comes in

Link is the big ad in my sig

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 21:07:16 »
If you guys want a game of civ and want coms, feel free to use the games rooms in the mumble, I have games with people in there outside of geekhack all the time. TBH I don't really care what you do in there or who comes in

That sounded naughty..

Offline jaffers

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 21:16:32 »

That sounded naughty..

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:00:34 »
My friend is; I'm not sure. The last Civ I played was 2 and a bit of Alpha Centauri. I might get V on the sale if the most important DLCs also are discounted.

It's on sale right now and often comes up with the complete edition for like $12.50 after the 75% off.  Even with VI around the corner V is still a fantastic game and may still be the better game after VI releases, as is the case right now with Civ:BE.

Awesome, we'll probably take you up on that.  PDub had one that we used for a few games but he hasn't been on lately, so that'll be cool if we can use it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:02:34 by Waateva »

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:10:08 »

It's on sale right now and often comes up with the complete edition for like $12.50 after the 75% off.  Even with VI around the corner V is still a fantastic game and may still be the better game after VI releases, as is the case right now with Civ:BE.

Thanks, Waateva. That prompted me to go and check, and yes, there's a complete edition for about €9.90 too, so obviously money's not a concern, but what I worry about is the time, including learning curve. I guess I'll have to just get it and simply resolve to stop playing if I realize it steals too much time.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 14:28:41 »
I am reinstalling CIV V now that I have a bit more time to play games hopefully :)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 17:37:34 »

Thanks, Waateva. That prompted me to go and check, and yes, there's a complete edition for about €9.90 too, so obviously money's not a concern, but what I worry about is the time, including learning curve. I guess I'll have to just get it and simply resolve to stop playing if I realize it steals too much time.

It can definitely sneak up on you in regards to playtime, the "Just one more turn..." joke is often too true :D

I think that reading and/or watching a few guides helps a ton with the learning curve, but there are definitely things that take time to learn.  The lower difficulties like Settler and Chieftain help cushion the curve too as they are very forgiving, especially for people who have played Civ or other 4X games before.

I am reinstalling CIV V now that I have a bit more time to play games hopefully :)

If you need Brave New World let me know, I have one other copy left.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:09:15 »

If you need Brave New World let me know, I have one other copy left.

I have it, but thanks! :)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:11:34 »

Awesome, we'll probably take you up on that.  PDub had one that we used for a few games but he hasn't been on lately, so that'll be cool if we can use it.

Yeah, you can meet the other regulars on the mumble while your at it and I would gladly join in on a game, civ is ****ing awesome

Is there a steam group or something that you guys use to organise this all or is it just in this thread? Add me on steam and shoot me an invite next game if I don't try joining before hand. Its jaffers and with the same profile picture
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:13:08 by jaffers »

Offline jaffers

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 20:14:57 »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 23:24:18 »

Yeah, you can meet the other regulars on the mumble while your at it and I would gladly join in on a game, civ is ****ing awesome

Is there a steam group or something that you guys use to organise this all or is it just in this thread? Add me on steam and shoot me an invite next game if I don't try joining before hand. Its jaffers and with the same profile picture

The nights I've been around, waateva has just messaged people and added us all to a game. I suppose we could make a group like the CS:GO crowd has, if we wanted.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:16:03 »
Does anyone want to play some civ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:20:11 »
The cartoony stylized graphics from the Civ 6 trailer remind me of the dumbed-down Civ Revolution titles on the 360 and PS3.

And while those are fun in their own right, I'd hate to see the main franchise turned into a childish toned down shadow of it's former self with half the mechanics and everything becoming automated.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:25:39 »
Does anyone want to play some civ?

Not tonight for me, although I'm down for a weekday night sometime.

The cartoony stylized graphics from the Civ 6 trailer remind me of the dumbed-down Civ Revolution titles on the 360 and PS3.

And while those are fun in their own right, I'd hate to see the main franchise turned into a childish toned down shadow of it's former self with half the mechanics and everything becoming automated.

I agree, and while I don't mind the graphical style I just don't think it fits the franchise.  Some people have mentioned that they might be trying to brighten the game up a little which is fine, especially since Civ:BE was so dark and dreary, but I don't think that the overall graphic style needs changed at all.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:57:08 »
I agree, there was really no need to overhaul the engine. Even Civ 5 maxed out can still generate some heat on upper-scale systems and technology has only improved since it's release so I fail to see how cutting back on textures and detail is helping anyone.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 20:05:53 »
Argh! I was late by two hours, and the price was back to €40. Shouldn't have put it off.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:52:41 »
Tomorrow night my son has a baseball game at night so I may or may not be on @ 9PM but I would still be interested in a game, just possibly a little later.  Anyone else who is interested just comment here or message me on Steam.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 12:50:37 »
I'd love to join but my 40 hours in Civ won't do me much good lol
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 13:05:44 »

A lot of the people that have played have had varying hours of playtime, with some of them under 40 hours, so don't let that worry you.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #225 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 13:15:54 »

A lot of the people that have played have had varying hours of playtime, with some of them under 40 hours, so don't let that worry you.

I have probably less than 50 hours in Civ 5, and it's not a problem :thumb:
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 08:59:51 »
Civ VI is coming in less than 4 months, time for some practice!  I won't be online tonight but I'd like to get something going for next week sometime, so if anyone is interested and has maybe a specific time or day that works best let me know.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Civ V/VI Discussion & Multiplayer Thread
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 10:59:20 »
Civ VI is released!  Sadly (happily overall, sadly for Civ playage), I'll be moving and transitioning for the next few months, so I'm not sure when I'll get to play it...  :|

Anyone playing already?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 11:00:04 »
Civ VI is released!  Sadly (happily overall, sadly for Civ playage), I'll be moving and transitioning for the next few months, so I'm not sure when I'll get to play it...  :|

Anyone playing already?

I bought it last night and have it downloaded but haven't played it yet, although I plan on putting some hours in tonight.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 18:38:21 »

Anyone playing already?
Not yet! But definitely interested in getting it. I wonder how different it is from civ 5. The graphics are said to be worse, but the gameplay is said to be better. I have a feeling you're not the only one who's busy with things right now. ;)

Hope your move goes well and without issue!
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #230 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 01:18:15 »
trying to stave off picking it up this weekend to wait for next week. it's gonna be a rough week...

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:28:11 »
Alright, here are my feelings after about 10 hours logged:

1.  Graphical style has already converted me.  Wonders look much more like actual wonders, animations are much better, and tile improvements are more lush in regards to colors and actual activity.  Also, having the leaders presented in the slightly more cartoonish way actually works quite well as they can pull a bigger range of emotions off with them and it doesn't look silly, as sometimes the leaders looked in V.

2.  Changes to the policy tree are very nice and actually add some depth besides filling a tree out and then moving onto another one.  Tied to that, the government changes along with the cards for policies make things much more personalized compared to V.

3.  AI seems a little better gameplay-wise than V, but they are all *******s.  Given, the game has only been out for a few days so maybe there are methods to working with them that haven't been sorted out yet, but the AI is just perpetually pissed off at you from my experience.

4.  Changes to city states are awesome!  Now you get envoys which you allocate to them rather than just spending gold to buy them outright, and as you allocate more envoys your benefit increases.  This seems like more of a "realistic" approach rather than V where you just dumped money to buy them out, which always seemed rather off.  City state is an ally of your enemy for 2000+ years?  No biggie, just send them a couple thousand gold and they will flip to your side on the spot!

That said, there definitely is some stuff that needs worked out and I'm sure will be with time.  You can sell military units on/off your tiles which is stupid during war (Unit at 10 health and about to die?  Sell it for gold, even if you're half the world away!), camera doesn't snap back to units all the time so sometimes you'll accidentally misclick a unit and notice 5 turns later that they are making a 30-40 turn trip to who knows where, notifications are smaller and some are missing from side bar like your city being able to attack a unit, chopping trees has no limit and is OP as hell right now, and the tech tree needs some work as well.  Eurekas are too good and they happen even if you're not trying to get them, and with the tech tree being thinner than V right now your tech outpaces your production fairly early in the game.  Example of tech tree is the first game I played I hit the Industrial Era in 1100 AD without even trying hard to get there, whereas V you tend to hit it around 1400-1500 if you're going somewhat hard at it.  Given I started the first game at King while I usually play on Emperor on Civ V, but this seems to be a common complaint throughout the community right now (along with Eurekas needing a nerf) so it's not just me!

All in all?  Good times and definitely worth the purchase to me as a Civ addict, but for people who just play casually they may not notice enough of a difference between V and VI to justify dropping $60 right now.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:05:28 »
if i could afford to spend money on it, this is where my review of Civ VI would go
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 05:38:28 »
if i could afford to spend money on it, this is where my review of Civ VI would go

I have also written a similar review of Civ VI
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 06:30:00 »
So I bought VI, have just over 40 hours in it at the moment and i'm definitely struggling. A couple of things:

Encampments seem pointless. You get 25% extra XP but in V that would give your unit an instant promotion now it seems to do nothing. It's an extra tile that shoots enemies but when you attack another city with one you just bypass it and it seems pointless.

I also have no direction when i'm playing. I'm on low difficulty settings (try 2 and 3) and I look at the scoreboard halfway through the game and i'm like 3rd or 4th in everything. I try to have a direction (usually science or culture) but then i get distracted by wonders and my production just descends into building everything everywhere, getting hardly any military units until it's the 1800s and all of a sudden i'm close to losing.

I dont think i expand enough, i think i choose the wrong places to settle, and despite having almost 400 hours across all Civ games, I think I just suck at the game.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 10:31:41 »
So I bought VI, have just over 40 hours in it at the moment and i'm definitely struggling. A couple of things:

Encampments seem pointless. You get 25% extra XP but in V that would give your unit an instant promotion now it seems to do nothing. It's an extra tile that shoots enemies but when you attack another city with one you just bypass it and it seems pointless.

I also have no direction when i'm playing. I'm on low difficulty settings (try 2 and 3) and I look at the scoreboard halfway through the game and i'm like 3rd or 4th in everything. I try to have a direction (usually science or culture) but then i get distracted by wonders and my production just descends into building everything everywhere, getting hardly any military units until it's the 1800s and all of a sudden i'm close to losing.

I dont think i expand enough, i think i choose the wrong places to settle, and despite having almost 400 hours across all Civ games, I think I just suck at the game.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and it's partly why I relapsed back to Civ V.  The differences between V and VI are bigger than I originally thought and it seems as I played more and more of VI, the cons grew while the pros shrunk.  The gameplay hasn't improved in the almost-year it's been out and some of the patches have made things worse imo, plus I still haven't adjusted or gotten used to the different play style, coming from V.  I have no problem winning consistently on difficulty 7 when playing Civ V, but I couldn't get past 4 even once when playing VI, so I just think I'll stick with V until it gets fleshed out.