Author Topic: [IC] TKL Brief - a padded carry bag for keyboards and number pads  (Read 51312 times)

Offline laughatpain

Re: [IC] Tactical Carry bag for TKL keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:17:50 »
Kin's bag that he's offering with the TX1800 is what I imagine when I hear carrying bag. The outer case could be redone to be more tactile and visually appealing if you wish.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:23:38 »
If only we could get a 60 version aswell xD

We'll see how this project does. If people seem to like it and figuring out how to get it made isn't too painful/expensive, I'll definitely consider a 60% version. I could make designs for carry bags all day. I love these things.   :D

Sound great,
Really loving the style of this case!

Would be awesome if a matching 60% makes it, but for now I'll probably join the foam insert squad aswell.

Funny that I didn't think of this, even tho I suggested the same think for a VE.A a few pages back xD

Count me in for a few in this case <3

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:39:43 »

We'll see how this project does. If people seem to like it and figuring out how to get it made isn't too painful/expensive, I'll definitely consider a 60% version. I could make designs for carry bags all day. I love these things.   :D

Sound great,
Really loving the style of this case!

Would be awesome if a matching 60% makes it, but for now I'll probably join the foam insert squad aswell.

Funny that I didn't think of this, even tho I suggested the same think for a VE.A a few pages back xD

Count me in for a few in this case <3

Thanks! I truly appreciate the support and encouragement. :D

Can you tell me more about your foam insert requirements? I like the idea abstractly, but I've been procrastinating on developing it because I'm worried about doing something half-baked just to add a feature. To be more precise: I'm trying to envision the use cases so I can design for them, and I'm having trouble formulating one that makes sense within the scope of the design. Is the idea to be able to have a padded divider so an iPad (or Kindle, or whatever) could be slid in along with the keyboard? Or is it so that two keyboards could be put in at the same time?

If the latter, I don't necessarily favor that idea, as it means making the bag more bulky and it starts to lose any particular advantage over any random briefcase. My idea was that this would be a very purpose-built (yes, very nerdy), decently form-fitting bag, just for a TKL keyboard and some support cables/tools—to be at the grab-and-go ready for impromptu keyboard assault missions, elite underground LAN parties, and clandestine GeekHack meet-ups. ;)

A numpad add-on will probably follow, which can be fastened to the front using the MOLLE loops. I feel like adding pockets and pads just to have "bullet points on the box," as it were, is a common pitfall of bag designers, so I'm hoping to shoot for something as simple and elegant and possible designed for one purpose and not to be an all-purpose bag that merely incidentally has a keyboard pocket, if that makes sense.

But I'm open to persuasion on this and all points. :) Please let me know more about what you guys were thinking in terms of the foam insert and its aims.

Kin's bag that he's offering with the TX1800

Can you share or link to an image?

Offline laughatpain

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:56:41 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:01:17 by laughatpain »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[IC] Tactical Carry bag for TKL keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:57:48 »
My Original idea was to make a Velcro in divider similar to modular camera bags.

The VE.A is a split 75% with two additional macro rows, so it should be close to, but slightly smaller then tkl size.
With an insert splitting the case the two halfs would fit snugly aswell as get protected from bumping into each other, which should make for a very nice VE.A case.

In terms of 60s the Idea is pretty much the make the space inside smaller to fit a 60% snugly.
So basically make the case universally work with any size smaller then tkl.

So in general the idea is splitting rather layering if that makes sense xD
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 May 2017, 12:59:38 by FoC_Tow »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:03:34 »
My Original idea was to make a Velcro in divider similar to modular camera bags.

The VE.A is a split 75% with two additional macro rows, so it should be close to, but slightly smaller then tkl size.
With an insert splitting the case the two halfs would fit snugly aswell as get protected from bumping into each other, which should make for a very nice VE.A case.

In terms of 60s the Idea is pretty much the make the space inside smaller to fit a 60% snugly.
So basically make the case universally work with any size smaller then tkl.

So in general the idea is splitting rather layering if that makes sense xD

Oh! So you're talking about dividers that run the short length of the bag (front to back, as it were), not the long length of the bag (i.e., side to side)?

Offline Robotical

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:19:44 »
... and not to be an all-purpose bag that merely incidentally has a keyboard pocket...

I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest. But I definitely understand what you are getting at. I think the big thing I want out of a keyboard bag is just enough to carry my daily drivers to and from work personally. So having the ability to add attachments to the bag would be wonderful.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:27:04 »
I think the big thing I want out of a keyboard bag is just enough to carry my daily drivers to and from work personally.

Yes, frankly this is one of the main applications I had in mind, as I know a lot of people do this when they have a single keyboard that they particularly like.

Offline ski_

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 13:57:25 »
I think the big thing I want out of a keyboard bag is just enough to carry my daily drivers to and from work personally.

Yes, frankly this is one of the main applications I had in mind, as I know a lot of people do this when they have a single keyboard that they particularly like.

+1 to this.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 14:01:19 »

I've been looking for a decent bag myself for my 60 percent.

There aren't any good ones that feel like they can protect aluminum.

Offline neralo

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 00:11:12 »
Would be super interested in one of these. If you could add in some MOLLE webbing too, would be even more awesome, then  I could just attach it to the MOLLE on my bag. Plus I think having MOLLE adds to the whole "tactical" aspect :)
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline dbucklin

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:35:14 »
I'd be interesting in something like this for my Mira TKL.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:00:32 »
OK, at last, here are some pics of my prototype. Looking forward to hearing what folks think. I am thinking about also doing a modular MOLLE pocket for the front that could be used to carry a separate numpad. :)

The silver bullion wire patch came out especially nicely, I think. The leather accents also make it feel super spiff—and I love the purple seam binding. I'm pretty happy with where things are headed.

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2017, 11:33:55 by norbauer »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:34:46 »
OK, at last, here are some pics of my prototype. Looking forward to hearing what folks think. I am thinking about also doing a modular MOLLE pocket for the front that could be used to carry a separate numpad. :)

The silver bullion wire patch came out especially nicely, I think. The leather accents also make it feel super spiff—and I love the purple seam binding. I'm pretty happy with where things are headed.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Mind blown!
I thought this was going to be about as good as the hhkb bag/case.

This blew those out of the water.

Good job!

Hopefully, other size cases can be made. Or, at least make the tkl compatible with 60, 65, etc boards
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2017, 22:36:27 by Latin00032 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 23:42:21 »
Very nice. I'm probably in for one, now that I'm confirmed for MIRA.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 10:46:41 »
Very nice- I'm probably in for one

Offline Robotical

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 11:06:43 »
This is super exciting! Love the look of the case.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 11:45:34 »
Would definitely be interested in one.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 11:49:37 »
Great. Now I'm gonna look even more bougie carrying my laptop bag AND keyboard bag around..

Good work  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Phenix

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 13:01:35 »
Great. Now I'm gonna look even more bougie carrying my laptop bag AND keyboard bag around..

Good work  ;D ;D ;D
can you please share your laptop bag?
I am about doing the step from a msi laptop to a ipad pro, as the battery lifetime at 2hours sucked hard..
Depending on size the ipad (13")  could fit aswell
Winter is coming.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 14:02:15 »
PM'd so we don't clutter up the thread. :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 14:45:39 »
Would absolutely buy for my Jane

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 15:36:41 »
I think this needs to be paired with a nice GH patch!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:28:38 »
I think this needs to be paired with a nice GH patch!

Send me one and I'll do it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:48:41 »
Definitely in for one at least

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:54:04 »
Looks great! Now that a prototype has been made, is there any more word on potential cost?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 15:25:06 »
Looks great! Now that a prototype has been made, is there any more word on potential cost?

Not yet. Soft goods are kind of more complicated to get quoted than something like a CNC case, because you have to develop a whole tech pack specifying exactly how it is to be made. That process is almost done and then I can send out for quotes. Honestly, I have zero idea at this how much it'll cost—hopefully low enough to be feasible though!

Offline poolside

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 15:51:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That white NT case looks good! Between space station and enigma white.
How thick is the padding on the sides?

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 17:15:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is such a slick-looking bag. The simplicity is great, and being a TKL fan, the size is perfect. Regarding a 60% bag -- that should just be a different bag (smaller in size for a more snug fit), versus an insert of some sort for this bag. Just my unsolicited 2c on that.

For the "seam binding," is the idea that there could be different colors to choose from? :)

Also, it looks like there's a good touch of padding on the inside of the bag in the front/back. I take it a decent enough amount to be adequate protection if walking around during morning/evening commute rush on the bus or train? That's the most strenuous regular-use scenario I'd be putting it through.

The prototype looks really good! I would absolutely be in for one. It'd pair nicely with my future Norbauer NT Al case :)
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 17:38:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Do you mind sharing the dimensions of the prototype? Particularly the larger pocket actual usable space?

Just trying to size up what other items I would be able to include with the board.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 20:51:39 »
This is looking fantastic.  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 07:20:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is great. I'm in for one or two. Colours: khaki, coyote and black?

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 07:28:05 »
If you really want to go hardcore probably use High Strength AustriAlpin quick release Cobra buckles for closure the way defybags.com does.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 10:12:20 »
If you really want to go hardcore probably use High Strength AustriAlpin quick release Cobra buckles for closure the way defybags.com does.

Haha. Those are super cool and indeed hardcore, but I think I'll stick with the more mediumcore HK style snap hooks on this project, since the Cobras would add like $55 to the cost. The ones I chose are still military style snap hooks and are themselves already a welcome level of overkill on this already intentionally overkill bag. ;)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 10:41:12 »
Does a ergodox full hand case fit in such a bag?
(would be cooll
Winter is coming.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 11:36:10 »
Does a ergodox full hand case fit in such a bag?
(would be cooll

I've seen a few in person, and from memory I would think so. I'm still finalizing the dimensions (which is the reason I haven't yet answered the question from above yet) and can verify. Can you post the dims of the ergodox full hand board?

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 18:21:28 »
Looks awesome! I would kind of like a hard shell case though, similar to my old Tom Bihn laptop tote. It has a thin, corrugated plastic barrier that protects the laptop. Not sure they make this style anymore though :/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 18:48:24 »
Looks awesome! I would kind of like a hard shell case though, similar to my old Tom Bihn laptop tote. It has a thin, corrugated plastic barrier that protects the laptop. Not sure they make this style anymore though :/

It's called the Brain Cell, and I believe they still make them. I've been to the Tom Bihn factory and love their stuff. :)

Offline Data

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 08:41:26 »
Does it come in 1000D Cordura Multicam?  :cool:

Can it be coated for NIR compliance?

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 13:53:10 »

It's called the Brain Cell, and I believe they still make them. I've been to the Tom Bihn factory and love their stuff. :)

Ahh you're right! It's more of a standalone bag than an add on now. Factory tour sounds pretty awesome. I've had my bag 10+ years with minimal wear/tear, but the zipper finally started giving out.

buuut I would love to have a hard-shell for my keeb$   ;D

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 17:10:53 »
I love your design. I like the Goruck style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline madindehead

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 08:22:09 »
norbauer, is there any limit to your creativity?! Damn, that bag is gorgeous!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 09:21:19 »
Do you think this case would fit a fc980c? It's a little bigger than a tkl.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 12:36:17 »

Do you have the dimensions? I'm currently tweaking the bag a tiny bit to ensure that the hefty RealForce TKL case I'm working on will fit inside.

I'm also currently working on a numpad pouch that will attach to the front via the MOLLE loops. :)

Also adding velcro swappable patches. I think I might do individual patches with illustrations of the various switches: Topre, MX Red, MX Blue, etc., so you can let everybody what's inside--if that's your thing.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 13:22:27 »

Do you have the dimensions? I'm currently tweaking the bag a tiny bit to ensure that the hefty RealForce TKL case I'm working on will fit inside.

I'm also currently working on a numpad pouch that will attach to the front via the MOLLE loops. :)

Also adding velcro swappable patches. I think I might do individual patches with illustrations of the various switches: Topre, MX Red, MX Blue, etc., so you can let everybody what's inside--if that's your thing.
I don't own one, yet. I was looking for a used one for a good price.

Maybe someone else on gh will chime in on the fc980c dimensions.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 14:23:39 »
Haha dope project!, just few thoughts, to get the mil style molle a updated look. check out lasercut molle, looks super cool and gives a cleaner look. The line that goes around the bag should be on the inside imo. just thoughts :) And BLACK MULTICAM! would be awesome haha
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 June 2017, 14:25:37 by pon10 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 14:36:57 »
Haha dope project!, just few thoughts, to get the mil style molle a updated look. check out lasercut molle, looks super cool and gives a cleaner look. The line that goes around the bag should be on the inside imo. just thoughts :) And BLACK MULTICAM! would be awesome haha

I'm actually familiar with laser-cut MOLLE. It's a cool concept in general—almost surely reduces production costs, for one thing—but for this bag I didn't like how it would show the lining, especially as in my case I wanted a complementary color for the lining rather than the same color as the shell. So I think for this particular application oldskool MOLLE makes the most sense aesthetically, though I totally agree with you that laser cut MOLLE is a cool thing, especially for people who have actual tactical applications rather than the total poseur/hipster affair that my project really is. :)

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 15:26:25 »

I'm actually familiar with laser-cut MOLLE. It's a cool concept in general—almost surely reduces production costs, for one thing—but for this bag I didn't like how it would show the lining, especially as in my case I wanted a complementary color for the lining rather than the same color as the shell. So I think for this particular application oldskool MOLLE makes the most sense aesthetically, though I totally agree with you that laser cut MOLLE is a cool thing, especially for people who have actual tactical applications rather than the total poseur/hipster affair that my project really is. :)

Yeah u cant have enough MOLLE for stuff its awesome never the less, i have tried myself with various gun bags but unfortunately non in TKL gun size :D and all of them just almost fit a 60. but maybe in R2 a laser cut options could occur and accent colors could be added as back panel :)) looking forward to see how its gonna come out, good work mate!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 09:09:55 »
Would this qualify to be called a keyboard satchel?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 10:20:38 »

Yeah u cant have enough MOLLE for stuff its awesome never the less, i have tried myself with various gun bags but unfortunately non in TKL gun size :D and all of them just almost fit a 60. but maybe in R2 a laser cut options could occur and accent colors could be added as back panel :)) looking forward to see how its gonna come out, good work mate!

Thanks! As a quick update, the prototype is being re-worked just a little bit right now in order to increase the width slightly, as I felt that it required a bit too much effort to pull open the zipper to get the keyboard into and out of the bag. I want to to have a nice comfortable gap to make it easy to get most TKLs in and out of the bag. Once that is done (this week or next), it'll be ready to send off to get some quotes! :)